FIGHTERZ: Vote for the best colors!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cold Skin
I Live Here

FIGHTERZ: Vote for the best colors!

Post by Cold Skin » Fri Apr 06, 2018 5:57 pm

Here is a quick poll showing the available colors for twelve of the characters in the game.
Just look at the picture and vote for what you think looks best for the character, according to your personal preferences!
You can only choose one: your one and only favorite version!

http://qys2.com/vm1atkjh

The results should show us if specific designs are more popular than others! 8)
I'll update the results here from time to time, since sometimes a glitch prevents participants to see the results at the end, so I'll post them here too.

NOTE: If you can't see the scrolling bar on the right, you can use the "down" arrow on your keyboard to scroll down and choose your answer.
RESULTS SO FAR (April 15th)

ANDROID 16

ANDROID 18

CELL

FRIEZA

KID BUU

MAJIN BUU

NAPPA

PICCOLO

TIEN

TRUNKS

VEGETA

YAMCHA

CURRENT FAVORED COLORS (April 15th)

Last edited by Cold Skin on Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:55 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Logania
Regular

Re: FIGHTERZ: Vote for the best colors!

Post by Logania » Fri Apr 06, 2018 6:52 pm

Voting for colors made me realize how much I hate both Majin and Kid Buu's color palettes lol
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Apr 08, 2018 9:30 am

Let's look at the first results today, which you can view in details in the first post now. The vote is still open for a long while and will be updated from time to time. We'll see if some tendancies seem to change.

C-16: A little bit of everything, showing his colors are good enough for the votes to be spread across all the palettes, though the yellow one has a bit more than the rest. However, nothing beats the original so far.

C-18: The Dragon Ball Super colors are undoubtedly favored, though the original colors are not too far behind.

CELL: You guys like the colors of the Cell Juniors applied to the grown-up Cell! Right after that, you defininately are up for green, either as the good old green you always knew or as a renewed, darker shade of green.

FREEZER: Nothing beats the original, but the beautiful blue version sure comes close to it!

INITIAL MAJIN BOO: In general, you guys like your Boos pale pink. The victory of the original color over the rest is crushing.

MAJIN BOO: Just like for the small Boo, many people will keep his pale pink skin intact.

NAPPA: Nappa's blue armor meets quite a success compared to all other versions!

PICCOLO: Having Piccolo dress like his evil father with darker shades of his usual costume seems to fit your preferences! Even if the original has a good number of votes, the father's darker version just has twice as much!

TEN SHIN HAN: It's a draw! The version covering Ten Shin Han's classic green color has quite a success, giving the impression of an updated costume while respecting his roots. However, the red version, fitting well with the Chinese style of his new outfit, is just as attractive right now, encountering the same success!

TRUNKS: Trunks' style makes him amazingly stylish in all possible colors, so it's no wonder the results are spread across the many versions available. With that said, the good old original still has the players' favors.

VEGETA: If Vegeta's original costume is successful, even more people like to add a bit of extra blue to his suit! Note that the prototype suit from the anime's first episodes featuring the prince also has a certain amount of success.

YAMCHA: Yamcha's original has its fair share of fans, but there's no denying that black with touches of blue suits him, making the black version the most popular right now.
Logania wrote:Voting for colors made me realize how much I hate both Majin and Kid Buu's color palettes lol
Could be cause it's about recoloring his skin. It's true that his main color is his skin, unlike other characters.
When you think Goku, you think orange because of his clothes.
When you think Vegeta, you think blue because of his clothes.
But when you think Boo, you think pink because of his skin. So modifying his main color means modifying his skin, but that might feel weird for a lot of people.

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Sun Apr 15, 2018 1:02 pm

One week has passed and the number of voters has gone from 18 participants to... 23 participants.
Given that the hundreds of DB fans on this forum, whether they are familiar with video games or not, can vote for their preferences, that's quite a bit less than I would have expected, but I guess that will have to do to represent the whole fan community.

The observations for each character still stand and are more and more confirmed, except for Ten Shin Han who now has a winner instead of a draw: his classic "retro" colors are now favored by fans instead of his red costume.

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 7:56 am

Seeing this makes me realize how disappointing it is that games don't usually offer a manga version when there's a difference from the anime. In this case, I guess they did it with Nappa...

Cold Skin
I Live Here

Post by Cold Skin » Tue Apr 17, 2018 8:15 am

^ Yeah, I'm surprised too. There's nothing easier in a game than to change the colors of textures (it's not even about creating new textures, just copying-pasting and altering the colors of the existing ones), and the Full Color manga is there to be the ultimate template about what official manga colors are.

Plus, they've shown with the Super Saiyan Blue avatars that there's room for more colors named "Special 1", "Special 2", etc...
It shouldn't be hard nor time-consuming to give Trunks darker purple hair and a bluer vest, to give Goku a lighter orange and white lines on his boots, to give Piccolo yellowish "muscles" instead of pink, to give Cell blue articulations and red eyes, to give the main villains blue tongues and wounds, etc...

It's surprising that the clone palettes, already present in the game data, are not available to select either (according to one of my polls, a certain number of people had interest in being able to select those palettes, and they are already there and ready to be used).

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:40 pm

Cold Skin wrote:and the Full Color manga is there to be the ultimate template about what official manga colors are.
Or at least the template for most cases. Even the Full Color manga didn't fully stick to Toriyama's colors.