Why Dragon Ball games stop at the 3rd installment.

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Why Dragon Ball games stop at the 3rd installment.

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:55 am

http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... budokai-4/

While he did work on XV1, from what I’ve seen, he was only under “special thanks” for XV2. So its still likely that XV3 will be the last installment of the XV3 series. While that sucks, it does hype up the game even more. Plus considering how the earliest the game could come out is probably 2020 and according to someone, its already in production, that means the game could get around 2 years of work and plus the support XV2 got, that would make XV3 probably the best DBgame ever for me.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Jackalope89
Advanced Regular

Re: Why Dragon Ball games stop at the 3rd installment.

Post by Jackalope89 » Sun Apr 08, 2018 2:27 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:http://www.playstationlifestyle.net/201 ... budokai-4/

While he did work on XV1, from what I’ve seen, he was only under “special thanks” for XV2. So its still likely that XV3 will be the last installment of the XV3 series. While that sucks, it does hype up the game even more. Plus considering how the earliest the game could come out is probably 2020 and according to someone, its already in production, that means the game could get around 2 years of work and plus the support XV2 got, that would make XV3 probably the best DBgame ever for me.
Depending on sales, XV4 could very well be a thing.

Lightdasher
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Lightdasher » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:57 pm

I figured it was always just something of a coincidence. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I never figured there was a special reason the Budokais and Tenkaichis "stopped" at 3 (stopped in parenthesis since both technically kept going). Actually, thinking about it, plenty of series, like Legacy of Goku's, are often thought to climax at the third with later installments not leaving nearly as much of an impact, so maybe that's always just the point where the devs feel they've perfected things enough to move on.
"Set a good example, represent what you think the community should be, and just be awesome." -VegettoEX, 2017.

Sandubadear
I Live Here

Post by Sandubadear » Sun Apr 08, 2018 10:59 pm

Infinite World is basically a Budokai 4, it just had a different name.
"The life is the hardest video games of ever. Because you have only one life and the powers are kinda lame. And sometimes a stage takes years"

"The life is a game, the objective of the game is trying to find the objective of the game, and then, finish the game"
--by Ranely Jr

時空の主/齊天大聖
Lazy Xenoverse characters: Kuriza, Neko Majin Abra

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 4:43 am

Sandubadear wrote:Infinite World is basically a Budokai 4, it just had a different name.
Not really, if you take a look at how the Budokai series progressed you see that IW doesn't really follow the same pattern. Budokai 1 to 2 saw an overhaul to the entire presentation, ditched the old models in favour of new ones and redid the stages. Budokai 2 to 3 was similar, entire presentation overhaul, updated shading on the character models and every stage was redone again.

But this didn't happen with Infinite World, the presentation was just a remix of what Budokai 3 had and everything else was kept the same. And honestly that's IW in a nutshell, a remixed Budokai 3 and not a full-on sequel.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Apr 09, 2018 5:43 am

Quebaz wrote:
Sandubadear wrote:Infinite World is basically a Budokai 4, it just had a different name.
Not really, if you take a look at how the Budokai series progressed you see that IW doesn't really follow the same pattern. Budokai 1 to 2 saw an overhaul to the entire presentation, ditched the old models in favour of new ones and redid the stages. Budokai 2 to 3 was similar, entire presentation overhaul, updated shading on the character models and every stage was redone again.

But this didn't happen with Infinite World, the presentation was just a remix of what Budokai 3 had and everything else was kept the same. And honestly that's IW in a nutshell, a remixed Budokai 3 and not a full-on sequel.
What about Burst Limit?

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:05 am

Doctor. wrote:
Quebaz wrote:

What about Burst Limit?
It felt like a PSP Game (Shin Budokai) with PS3 level graphics.

Still disappointed it didn't cover the Buu Saga, that was a step backwards

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Apr 09, 2018 7:35 am

Doctor. wrote:
What about Burst Limit?
Soft reboot of the franchise. It takes elements from the previous 3 console games and the 2 Shin Budokai games and streamlines it, but in a way goes into a different direction with its menus and presentation.

It's Budokai 1, with gameplay that mixes Budokai 3 and SB2, alternate stage versions from Budokai 2 and a Story Mode that tries its hardest to be like Budokai 1, but with a presentation that doesn't resemble a Budokai game.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:02 am

Probably because by the third title, they've exhausted the character roster and can't find any way to expand on the gameplay mechanics. At that point they change the name, make the fighting work slightly different, and reboot the roster to start all over again.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:35 am

If they continue the trend of integrating ideas from Heros into Xenoverse, it's entirely plausible we could see a XV4. The Dark Demon Realm storyline with Mechikabura, the Dark Masked King, and Dark Dragonballs has a lot of potential. Whether or not they'll choose that for XV3 remains to be seen, but that's a lot for one game to cover.

ZeroNeonix
Advanced Regular

Post by ZeroNeonix » Thu Apr 12, 2018 10:38 am

Lightdasher wrote:I figured it was always just something of a coincidence. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I never figured there was a special reason the Budokais and Tenkaichis "stopped" at 3 (stopped in parenthesis since both technically kept going). Actually, thinking about it, plenty of series, like Legacy of Goku's, are often thought to climax at the third with later installments not leaving nearly as much of an impact, so maybe that's always just the point where the devs feel they've perfected things enough to move on.
I think LoG had to stop where it did because they didn't have anywhere else to go. They already covered the three major arcs (Saiyan/Frieza, Android/Cell, and Buu). Unless they wanted to go backwards in time to Dragon Ball (which wasn't as popular and only had Goku as a fighting protagonist), there was nowhere left to go.

"What about GT?"

There was NOWHERE left to go.

Weejus
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Weejus » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:15 pm

ZeroNeonix wrote:
Lightdasher wrote:I figured it was always just something of a coincidence. Obviously, I could be wrong, but I never figured there was a special reason the Budokais and Tenkaichis "stopped" at 3 (stopped in parenthesis since both technically kept going). Actually, thinking about it, plenty of series, like Legacy of Goku's, are often thought to climax at the third with later installments not leaving nearly as much of an impact, so maybe that's always just the point where the devs feel they've perfected things enough to move on.
I think LoG had to stop where it did because they didn't have anywhere else to go. They already covered the three major arcs (Saiyan/Frieza, Android/Cell, and Buu). Unless they wanted to go backwards in time to Dragon Ball (which wasn't as popular and only had Goku as a fighting protagonist), there was nowhere left to go.

"What about GT?"

There was NOWHERE left to go.
Which makes it all the more surprising that Webfoot adapted GT into a beat-em-up rather than an action RPG.