"Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Ann. Version"

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

John Pannozzi
Beyond Newbie

"Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Ann. Version"

Post by John Pannozzi » Tue May 15, 2018 12:40 am

Yeah, Japan is getting a Mini Famicom with all Jump-related games to celebrate the anthology's 50th anniversary. Coming on July 7 for 7,980 yen.

The Dragon Ball-related games are DB 3: Gokuden (which covers all the pre-Z arcs), DBZ: Kyoushuu! Saiyajin (covers the Vegeta arc), and DB: Shenron no Nazo (released in America as Dragon Power). Also included are the two Famicom Jump games, which heavily feature DB (and Dr. Slump) characters.

This is an interesting release for sure, but at roughly 73 American dollars its too pricey for me, considering I have no experience with most of the games included. Maybe if it's still available later on, but seeing as this is a Nintendo Classic Ed., probably not.

I would be so over a Shonen Jump Super Famicom Classic Ed. that had all three Go!Go! Ackman games, though.
Admin of the Dr. Slump Wiki.

I have a nostalgic soft spot for the Dragon Ball 10th anniversary movie. Ditto the Buu saga.

完全集のメンバー。

Friends don't lie.

Jord
Advanced Regular

Re: "Nintendo Classic Mini Famicom Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Ann. Version"

Post by Jord » Wed May 16, 2018 5:58 am

I would have rather seen the Freeza arc (Gekishen Freeza) and Android arc (forgot the title) on it since they're both better than the 1st one. The android one is my favorite and the Snes reboot of the card battle series felt like a big downgrade. Besides that, Dragon Power/Dragon Ball (the game) just sucks. What a frustrating mess.

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Wed May 16, 2018 8:35 am

Sadly, I doubt we'll even get this one released state-side at all, but man if we did, I'd probably go for it just for the novelty of it all.
John Pannozzi wrote:Also included are the two Famicom Jump games, which heavily feature DB (and Dr. Slump) characters.
I actually learned something pretty interesting from looking into this too - I can't speak in regards to appearances period (like in menus, or as support characters, or whatever), but in terms of playable characters? Goku is the only character to appear in every single one of the Jump crossover games (both of the aforementioned Famicom Jump SNES titles, Battle Stadium D.O.N. for the Gamecube, Jump Super and Ultimate Stars for DS, and of course J-Stars Victory VS for the PS3/PS4/Vita). I want to say Arale wasn't far behind either, appearing in all of those as well save for the second Famicom Jump and D.O.N., so Toriyama's always well represented in these games.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

Dogasu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Dogasu » Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:49 am

Are the Famicom Dragon Ball games any good?

In any case, my hope is that this does well so that a Nintendo Classic Mini Super Famicom Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Anniversary Version eventually comes out.
Webmaster of Dogasu's Backpack. Last updated on June 9th, 2022

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Jul 16, 2018 1:22 am

Dogasu wrote:Are the Famicom Dragon Ball games any good?

In any case, my hope is that this does well so that a Nintendo Classic Mini Super Famicom Weekly Shonen Jump 50th Anniversary Version eventually comes out.
That would be great. The Go Go Ackman games are pretty good as well so they could be included. Unfortunately I think a lot of the Snes DBZ games would get an altered soundtrack.

TheBigBoy
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by TheBigBoy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:42 am

Dogasu wrote:Are the Famicom Dragon Ball games any good?

No not really. The RPGs are serviceable I guess. They have a unique battle system and some interesting features but I wouldn't want to play them nowadays without access to save states and frameskip...