I THINK i finally know what the next DB game MIGHT be...

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

I THINK i finally know what the next DB game MIGHT be...

Post by AnimeNation101 » Tue May 22, 2018 9:48 am

An Open world Dragon Ball Arpg.

Exhibit A: through info i got from TheDevilsCorpse, we know that XV3 is in production but he was told that there should be a game between FighterZ and XV3 that isn’t a “fighter”. This cuts down the genre choices more than you think. DB is centered around fighting so even if it isn’t an actually fighting game, it’s genre must have some form of action.

Exhibit B: 2 months ago we got a rumor from a known legit leaker that a former Bandai Namco employee told him of bandai’s future projects. Here is the link to said rumor: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments ... scvi_dbfz/
In this, he states that we will be getting a DBARPG video game. A Dragon Ball Action role-playing game.

Exhbit C: I messaged the leaker about his post and info he got from the supposed former bamco employee. This is what he said:

I don't personally buy into the "former Bandai Namco employee" leak for my own skepticism and reasons.
But I will say that I know from my usual and proven Bandai Namco sources that two additional Dragon Ball games are coming (not counting FighterZ for Switch). Those being Xenoverse 3 and another being developed by CC2 are scheduled for 2019 release.
That game by CyberConnect2 sounds a lot like it could and would be that game between FighterZ and XV3 that's not a fighter. But the question is if it has ANY connection to what that supposed "former Bandai Namco employee" claimed, which was an Action RPG based on Dragon Ball. I don't really think so. But I guess it's something to keep in mind. I don't think CC2 would ever make an ARPG like those top down types, but something more like (pardon my disjointed references) NieR:Automata, Ni no Kuni II, Tales of, things like that.

Now, would agree with him. A top-down db game sounds stupid and not something CC2 would make. But I did research and ARPG isn’t JUST top-down anymore.

I replied to him with this message:

Overtime, the term ARPG became so broad that its not even just Top Down games.
Here’s the website that gave the most insight: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionRPG

Long story short, it says:

“By the time the move to real time (and, as it happens, to 3D) was completed, the term "action RPG" came to describe several specific types of gameplay:

-Hack and Slash games with RPG Elements, usually played in third-person to show off flashy melee moves. This style was largely influenced by The Legend of Zelda.
-Isometric point-and-click dungeon crawlers. These games are often referred to as Diablo clones.
-FPS/RPG hybrids. This style was codified by the Immersive Sims System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, though predated by Ur-Example Star Cruiser.
-TPS/RPG hybrids. This style was largely influenced by TPS like Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War.”

And its funny because the games you listed that you would see CC2 making ARE considered ARPGs because the modern terms for ARPGs is:

“By the strictest definition, an ARPG is an RPG where combat success depends equally on player skill and Player Character skill. But the loose and more commonly accepted definition of ARPG (at least, of the contemporary ones) basically boils down to "the fights in this RPG occur in real time and you can play it with a controller". It's no surprise, then, that games as different as The Witcher 2 (a choice-driven narrative game), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (a Wide Open Sandbox), Diablo III, Dark Souls I, and Final Fantasy XV all get labeled "action RPG", despite being barely comparable in terms of gameplay. This is, perhaps, indicative of how meaningless the label is, where it's becoming more and more synonymous with simply "RPG".”

So basically, i think that your info, my info, and the “former employee’s” info, are all one and the same. Just rearrange the puzzles and it fits.

Exhibit D: Well, most arpg games that I’ve looked up tens to be open world or open world-esc games. Also, the website i used most to research ARPG’s also said this about open world sandbox games:

Traditional role-playing games typically used The Overworld concept, presented as a Fantasy World Map with the Overworld Not to Scale, such as Ultima and Final Fantasy. On the other hand, Action-Adventure and Action RPG titles typically use a fully-scaled open world, with Courageous Perseus and Hydlide being the Ur Examples, The Legend of Zelda being the Trope Maker, and Grand Theft Auto being the Trope Codifier.

TL:DR I am confident that CC2 is making an Open world Dragon Ball ARPG game for 2019!

EDIT: Exhibit E: CC2 announced back that they were hiring to make 3 types of games. One of those games was an Open World game. It was confiremd that the game was a commissioned work and not something published by them. Up til now, they have yet to announce or release an Open World game. This makes me believe that the Open World game is the ARPG game and its been commissioned by Bandai Namco.

Edit: Ill add you guys in since you’re experts:
ArchedThunder wrote:
and
TheDevilsCorpse wrote:
Last edited by AnimeNation101 on Thu Aug 30, 2018 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: I THINK i finally know what the next DB game MIGHT be...

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed May 23, 2018 9:32 pm

This is just my idea (purely speculation) on how the game could work:

Dragon ball open world game

Single player (offline)

Story mode

-From Dragon Ball to Dragon Ball Super with GT as either DLC or a side story

-side quests you can find and do around the world

-Have npcs that can join your party and help you fight during quests or exploring

Multiplayer (online)

-be able to switch to an online version of the open world map and fight or go do quests with friends online

-be able to do the story mode with friends online as a party

Open world

-Use the official dragon world map as the game’s world with important places like Korin’s Tower, Kami’s lookout, Mt. Poazu, the World Tournament, West City, Capsule Corp, Hercule City, Kame House, Baba’s Palace, Wastelands (Goku vs Vegeta), Mountains, Glaciers, Muscle Tower, Pilar’s Castle, etc

-have running, nimbus cloud, flying, and capsule vehicles as means of transportation

-when traveling around the world, there are no invisible barriers and if you just keep
going straight in one direction, the world will eventually loop around

-have (temporary) environmental destruction. Ex) You can launch a spirit bomb and it can make a huge crater but the crater would eventually have to disappear

-to go to other planets, implement a fast travel system to go to places like Namek, Otherworld, and Beerus’s planet

-a time system that goes from day to night.

Graphics

-not too cartoony or realistic

-make sure everything doesn’t look to shiny or plastic.

-make sure the character designs, graphics, and texture match the environment. Have a balance. Having a hyper-realistic environment and cartoon characters or vice-verse ruins the immersion
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed May 23, 2018 11:35 pm

Too much effort for developers to do this sadly.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu May 24, 2018 1:31 am

This is basically exactly the same as my idea for a Dragon Ball game, except you play the existing stories rather than a unique one based around the Dragon Ball hunt.

And I agree that it's too AAA of an idea for a Dragon Ball game; FighterZ is the exception rather than the rule, most DBZ games are more like Xenoverse.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu May 24, 2018 1:40 am

The status of DasVergeben as a legit leaker is highly questionable. He's unquestionably unreliable, in any case.

I don't suppose anyone here remembers the DBZ RPG custom games in Starcraft and Warcraft 3? I'd love to see what a professional take on the concept would be like.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu May 24, 2018 6:20 am

Simere wrote:The status of DasVergeben as a legit leaker is highly questionable. He's unquestionably unreliable, in any case.

I don't suppose anyone here remembers the DBZ RPG custom games in Starcraft and Warcraft 3? I'd love to see what a professional take on the concept would be like.
I’ve heard that sometimes he gets stuff right, other times he gets stuff half right, and sometimes he’s dead wrong. But he isn’t my only source for this info (TheDevilsCorpse is another source) so the fact that one source an another match up at least lends some credence to this speculation.

Also, wouldn’t it technically be DasVergeben’s sources that are highly questionable instead of just him?

User Name

Post by User Name » Thu May 24, 2018 9:13 am

So Xenoverse 3? :clap:

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Thu May 24, 2018 9:49 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:I’ve heard that sometimes he gets stuff right, other times he gets stuff half right, and sometimes he’s dead wrong. But he isn’t my only source for this info (TheDevilsCorpse is another source) so the fact that one source an another match up at least lends some credence to this speculation.

Also, wouldn’t it technically be DasVergeben’s sources that are highly questionable instead of just him?
What's questionable is that he even has sources for most the things he claims are leaks. Even some of the stuff he's gotten right was under dubious circumstances, like going back to edit his post weeks later to include different information from "other sources"—which just happened to come after that same information came out in other places(like from more reliable leakers/dataminers). But he has had a couple of verified leaks that were completely him, so that's keeping some people from totally writing him off. Including me. Either he's a troll who's leveraging his minuscule credibility to spread false information for attention, or he's sincere and is just terrible at parsing and vetting the information he receives.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:07 am

User Name wrote:So Xenoverse 3? :clap:
No. Thats probably 2020

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu May 24, 2018 7:32 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:This is just my idea (purely speculation) on how the game could work:

Single player (offline)

Story mode

-Have npcs that can join your party and help you fight during quests or exploring

Multiplayer (online)

-be able to switch to an online version of the open world map and fight or go do quests with friends online

Open world

-Use the official dragon world map as the game’s world with important places like Korin’s Tower, Kami’s lookout, Mt. Poazu, the World Tournament, West City, Capsule Corp, Hercule City, Kame House, Baba’s Palace, Wastelands (Goku vs Vegeta), Mountains, Glaciers, Muscle Tower, Pilar’s Castle, etc

-have running, nimbus cloud, flying, and capsule vehicles as means of transportation

-when traveling around the world, there are no invisible barriers and if you just keep

-have (temporary) environmental destruction. Ex) You can launch a spirit bomb and it can make a huge crater but the crater would eventually have to disappear

-to go to other planets, implement a fast travel system to go to places like Namek, Otherworld, and Beerus’s planet

Graphics

-make sure the character designs, graphics, and texture match the environment. Have a balance. Having a hyper-realistic environment and cartoon characters or vice-verse ruins the immersion
That is a really interesting idea but I don't think it will happen at all.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu May 24, 2018 10:08 pm

majinwarman wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:This is just my idea (purely speculation) on how the game could work:

Single player (offline)

Story mode

Multiplayer (online)

Open world

Graphics

We’ll see in June.

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Mon May 28, 2018 1:59 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:

Single player (offline)

Story mode

Multiplayer (online)

Open world

Graphics

We’ll see in June.
Okay then. We will see indeed.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Mon May 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Can we get a Dragon Ball Musou already..

It baffles me how Sagas is still like the only thing which tried the style (sadly it's a mess in many aspects)

A Musou esque game would be so fun with DB characters.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue May 29, 2018 12:15 pm

Xeogran wrote:Can we get a Dragon Ball Musou already..

It baffles me how Sagas is still like the only thing which tried the style (sadly it's a mess in many aspects)

I don't think there's much thematic appeal in cutting through a horde of saibamen.

Simere
Advanced Regular

Post by Simere » Tue May 29, 2018 10:33 pm

Simere wrote:
Xeogran wrote:Can we get a Dragon Ball Musou already..

I don't think there's much thematic appeal in cutting through a horde of saibamen.
Thinking about it some more, those custom DB RPG games I suggested as a framework earlier share some fundamental characteristics with Musou games.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed May 30, 2018 8:21 am

Hmm. Thinking about it now, maybe Dragon Ball Fusions 2 could fit into this info of the next db game.

Logania
Regular

Post by Logania » Wed May 30, 2018 11:36 pm

I used to think that an open world is asking too much for an anime game. Until I see 'One Piece: World Seeker' and now I think it's not entirely impossible lol

That or a Dynasty Warriors type game like Xeogran said, as a few Shonen series did it quite successfully.
"I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

sintzu
Banned

Post by sintzu » Thu May 31, 2018 12:36 pm

If CC2 are working on a DB game then it could be like their Naruto games where there's an open world to play in between fights and the story is told in a cinimatic way. This has been a dream game for me for the longest time so hopefully you're right. If you just got done making Naruto games then DB is the next best thing so fingers and everything else crossed that it happens.

If this is ture then we'll have 3 high caliber developers working on DB which will give everyone involved more time to work and make the best game possible.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Sat Jun 02, 2018 2:06 pm

The game you described is almost exactly how I envision the perfect Dragon Ball RPG game, but unfortunately it seems we are still very far away from getting a AAA Dragon Ball game like that. Sure, we got FighterZ but content wise the game is very much only focused on the PvP aspect and the gameplay and graphics is what have gotten all the focus from ArcSys - although they perfectly delivered at that.

CyberConnect 2 being the developers for the next game gives me hope though, I always wanted to see them developing a DB game and I remember enjoying Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm quite a lot despite not even being a Naruto fan.
If they can make a DB game with the simple anime style graphics of their Naruto games, that would already be nice. As for the story mode, I would love to see the game being open world, similar to Ultimate Ninja Storm but without the linear story and with a big and open map. I remember the first NUNS (the only one I played) having a city which could have been freely explored, and some battles seamlessly happened in the city. That's exactly what I would like to see, but on a larger scale. The world being similar to the Legacy of Goku games in which there were no barriers like you said would really be nice to see. Actually, I would love to see the game sharing many similarities with the LoG games.

The first leak was talking about the game being set only before the events of Dragon Ball Z. That would be cool, I guess, and that was probably decided to keep the fights on the ground. Although I would probably prefer to see this game covering all the original manga and possibly Super too, but that may be too much to ask at the moment.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jun 04, 2018 7:55 pm

sintzu wrote:If CC2 are working on a DB game then it could be like their Naruto games where there's an open world to play in between fights and the story is told in a cinimatic way. This has been a dream game for me for the longest time so hopefully you're right. If you just got done making Naruto games then DB is the next best thing so fingers and everything else crossed that it happens.

If this is ture then we'll have 3 high caliber developers working on DB which will give everyone involved more time to work and make the best game possible.
emperior wrote:The game you described is almost exactly how I envision the perfect Dragon Ball RPG game, but unfortunately it seems we are still very far away from getting a AAA Dragon Ball game like that. Sure, we got FighterZ but content wise the game is very much only focused on the PvP aspect and the gameplay and graphics is what have gotten all the focus from ArcSys - although they perfectly delivered at that.

CyberConnect 2 being the developers for the next game gives me hope though, I always wanted to see them developing a DB game and I remember enjoying Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm quite a lot despite not even being a Naruto fan.
If they can make a DB game with the simple anime style graphics of their Naruto games, that would already be nice. As for the story mode, I would love to see the game being open world, similar to Ultimate Ninja Storm but without the linear story and with a big and open map. I remember the first NUNS (the only one I played) having a city which could have been freely explored, and some battles seamlessly happened in the city. That's exactly what I would like to see, but on a larger scale. The world being similar to the Legacy of Goku games in which there were no barriers like you said would really be nice to see. Actually, I would love to see the game sharing many similarities with the LoG games.

The first leak was talking about the game being set only before the events of Dragon Ball Z. That would be cool, I guess, and that was probably decided to keep the fights on the ground. Although I would probably prefer to see this game covering all the original manga and possibly Super too, but that may be too much to ask at the moment.
I honestly hope all this info is right too. An open-world db game is long over due but i guess people were too afraid to make one after Dragon Ball Sagas. Cyberconnect2 is pretty hype. I love their “close to anime” graphics and powerful cinematic cutscenes. It really makes sense as to why, the My hero Academia fandom (me included) wanted them to be the developers of the My Hero Academia game. But working on a DB game is just as good. I’n hoping for the best and we might know soon with E3 around the corner.