Dragon Ball FighterZ (Switch) Open Beta will be on the 10th!

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Re: Dragon Ball FighterZ (Switch) Open Beta will be on the 10th!

Post by Brodes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:44 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote: People have presumably played it on objectively better consoles.
And, clearly, a lot of people were waiting to play it on their objectively better console.
I'm not saying the PS4 and the Xbox One (and PC) are objectively better platforms to win some internet console war argument. I'm saying they're objectively better consoles to play FighterZ on because they don't suffer from the same framerate issues and poor online service the Switch port will most likely have, considering their track record with most multiplats that reach the system.

Obviously you'll buy and enjoy FighterZ if a Switch is your only option, but I'm sure that's not the case for most people posting here who have presumably played the PS4/XBO/PC version already.
The Switch port is 60fps, and the online worked just fine in the beta outside of a couple of teething issues for a few hours when it first launched. It was always very busy, too. Your implication that the port is lesser is based on nothing more than your own biases. According to this very thread, plenty of people have issues with the online service offered by the "objectively better" consoles (by which you mean more powerful it seems), if it eventuates on the Switch after release claiming its a Switch exclusive issue is ridiculous.

And, nope, The Switch isn't my only option. I have an Xbox One (Project Scorpio Edition) and I would much prefer this game on the Switch as I do a lot of travelling. To be honest, I've seen enough posts in the Xenoverse 2 thread that prevent me from posting much about the Switch version of the games very much here at all.
VegettoEX wrote:
Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote: People have presumably played it on objectively better consoles.
And, clearly, a lot of people were waiting to play it on their objectively better console.
These kinds of comments are absurd. Don't be like this.
I'd hope that is directed at both of us, rather than just singling me out, as all the consoles have objective advantages over one another. A large number of people were waiting for the Switch version. Perhaps not in this community but they're not an insignificant number. The Oceania servers were pretty packed for most of the Beta. Except Sunday morning a lot 5am, when they were only three quarters full.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:48 pm

Brodes wrote:The Switch port is 60fps, and the online worked just fine in the beta outside of a couple of teething issues for a few hours when it first launched. It was always very busy, too. Your implication that the port is lesser is based on nothing more than your own biases. According to this very thread, plenty of people have issues with the online service offered by the "objectively better" consoles (by which you mean more powerful it seems), if it eventuates on the Switch after release claiming its a Switch exclusive issue is ridiculous.

And, nope, The Switch isn't my only option. I have an Xbox One (Project Scorpio Edition) and I would much prefer this game on the Switch as I do a lot of travelling. To be honest, I've seen enough posts in the Xenoverse 2 thread that prevent me from posting much about the Switch version of the games very much here at all.
Obviously it's 60 FPS, but that's hardly something to be commended; it should be the bare minimum for games in the current generation. I was talking about the fact that Switch multiplats often suffer from noticeable framerate drops during gameplay, something FighterZ won't escape from unless the port is exceptionally well optimized. And while the other systems may suffer from online issues, Nintendo's online has always been notoriously poor.

Don't call me biased, that's nonsense. I don't have a horse in this race, I own a current gen system for Bloodborne and that's it. All the other games I play are on previous generations.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:15 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Brodes wrote:The Switch port is 60fps, and the online worked just fine in the beta outside of a couple of teething issues for a few hours when it first launched. It was always very busy, too. Your implication that the port is lesser is based on nothing more than your own biases. According to this very thread, plenty of people have issues with the online service offered by the "objectively better" consoles (by which you mean more powerful it seems), if it eventuates on the Switch after release claiming its a Switch exclusive issue is ridiculous.

Obviously it's 60 FPS, but that's hardly something to be commended; it should be the bare minimum for games in the current generation. I was talking about the fact that Switch multiplats often suffer from noticeable framerate drops during gameplay, something FighterZ won't escape from unless the port is exceptionally well optimized. And while the other systems may suffer from online issues, Nintendo's online has always been notoriously poor.

Don't call me biased, that's nonsense. I don't have a horse in this race, I own a current gen system for Bloodborne and that's it. All the other games I play are on previous generations.
So maybe, just maybe, don't try and act like you're an expert in something you really don't know anything about.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Mon Aug 20, 2018 10:44 pm

Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote:

So maybe, just maybe, don't try and act like you're an expert in something you really don't know anything about.
I don't understand why you're upset. I gave you reasons as to why you can expect the Switch port to be worse than the remaining versions and told you I don't really care about console wars, and here you are getting upset over console wars. You don't need to own a specific system to be well informed, nor do you need to own one to have played on it before.

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Mon Aug 20, 2018 11:11 pm

Doctor. wrote:
Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote: Obviously it's 60 FPS, but that's hardly something to be commended; it should be the bare minimum for games in the current generation. I was talking about the fact that Switch multiplats often suffer from noticeable framerate drops during gameplay, something FighterZ won't escape from unless the port is exceptionally well optimized. And while the other systems may suffer from online issues, Nintendo's online has always been notoriously poor.

I don't understand why you're upset. I gave you reasons as to why you can expect the Switch port to be worse than the remaining versions and told you I don't really care about console wars, and here you are getting upset over console wars. You don't need to own a specific system to be well informed, nor do you need to own one to have played on it before.
I don't think anyone here us getting upset. I'm pointing out that you're argument is incorrect and, look, I lurk here enough and have been a part of these boards for years to know you don't like people questioning what you've said. I'm saying you're uninformed because in this instance you are.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 21, 2018 2:33 am

Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Brodes wrote:
I don't think anyone here us getting upset. I'm pointing out that you're argument is incorrect and, look, I lurk here enough and have been a part of these boards for years to know you don't like people questioning what you've said. I'm saying you're uninformed because in this instance you are.
Except you're not providing any argument, you're just saying I'm wrong. Am I wrong in saying that Switch ports often suffer from framerate dips? Am I wrong in saying Nintendo's online service is poor compared to the competition? If so, then please prove it rather than getting all pissy over a stupid game console and resorting to passive agressive jabs. There's a reason VegettoEX warned you once already.

That's just factually wrong considering I start discussions with others more often than they do with me. It's especially ludicrous to make that claim considering the fact that here we are having a discussion.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Aug 21, 2018 5:24 am

Criticizing port before the full game comes out, that can't hold up... We know the specs, therefore let us wait for reviews and user experience after the full release.

I hope that the 1 vs 1 won't be Switch exclusive and will be implemented in other versions as well! :crazy:
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Brodes
Beyond Newbie

Post by Brodes » Tue Aug 21, 2018 7:10 am

Doctor. wrote:
Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Except you're not providing any argument, you're just saying I'm wrong. Am I wrong in saying that Switch ports often suffer from framerate dips? Am I wrong in saying Nintendo's online service is poor compared to the competition? If so, then please prove it rather than getting all pissy over a stupid game console and resorting to passive agressive jabs. There's a reason VegettoEX warned you once already.

That's just factually wrong considering I start discussions with others more often than they do with me. It's especially ludicrous to make that claim considering the fact that here we are having a discussion.
You're criticising a port that hasn't been released yet based on other ports that aren't even handled by the same company outside of publishing (and that the other consoles are "objectively better" which is just such obvious baiting I'm ashamed I fell for it, yes, as in plenty of ways each console has plenty of things to make it "objectively better" than the others--frankly portability and ease of access trumps it all for me, I can spend hours on trains a day). I am curious though, which online services for which games are poor considering the other online services are paid and still filled with flaws, and in the PSNs case goes down constantly? Mario Kart 8 (even in the Wii U the only trouble I ever had was uploading the YouTube replays), Fortnite, Splatoon all run just fine. Better than fine in fact. Xenoverse 2 I don't play online because the few times I have I've forgotten I was when putting the game in sleep mode which the servers really don't like (and I'm just not that good at it). The Dragon Fighterz Beta was a network test, which had teething issues for a few hours when first launched as mentioned before. Nintendo are releasing paid online in September, so that will certainly be interesting to watch unfold potential teething issues and all.

If I'm wrong in the end and the online play for Fighterz is atrocious, I'll PM you my address and you can send me your hat to eat.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Tue Aug 21, 2018 8:14 am

Brodes wrote:
Doctor. wrote:
Brodes wrote:

You're criticising a port that hasn't been released yet based on other ports that aren't even handled by the same company outside of publishing (and that the other consoles are "objectively better" which is just such obvious baiting I'm ashamed I fell for it, yes, as in plenty of ways each console has plenty of things to make it "objectively better" than the others--frankly portability and ease of access trumps it all for me, I can spend hours on trains a day). I am curious though, which online services for which games are poor considering the other online services are paid and still filled with flaws, and in the PSNs case goes down constantly? Mario Kart 8 (even in the Wii U the only trouble I ever had was uploading the YouTube replays), Fortnite, Splatoon all run just fine. Better than fine in fact. Xenoverse 2 I don't play online because the few times I have I've forgotten I was when putting the game in sleep mode which the servers really don't like (and I'm just not that good at it). The Dragon Fighterz Beta was a network test, which had teething issues for a few hours when first launched as mentioned before. Nintendo are releasing paid online in September, so that will certainly be interesting to watch unfold potential teething issues and all.

If I'm wrong in the end and the online play for Fighterz is atrocious, I'll PM you my address and you can send me your hat to eat.
If the term "better" got that under your skin, then replace it with "objectively more powerful" and the point gets across all the same: the PS4/XBO/PC are better platforms to run FighterZ on if you're interested in performance.

The 3DS online is a complete shitshow, and the Switch version of Rocket League and FIFA 18 are full of lag and constant disconnects; that's not to mention the Switch's difficulty in connecting to the internet in the first place. Now I don't own the system, and all of this is anecdotal from playing with my friends' Switches on occasion (along with their own complaints), but the complaints about the Switch's online service are widespread all over the internet. Mario Kart and Splatoon are Nintendo titles so it's no surprise the online is stable, but most multiplats aren't. Predicting FighterZ will probably have issues either with the online, or with the framerate, or with both, is just basic pattern recognition. But obviously I'll admit I was wrong if that's the case when the game comes out.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:07 am

Played it back then on my Switch but the lag ruined some of the matches I was playing so not overly too pleased with it and given that I'm not going to buy the yearly online subscription, I'll just get FighterZ on PS4/Switch whenever it drops in price (am in no rush so it can take years if it wants).

Gonna enjoy Mario Kart 8 Deluxe online for the time being and then.. probably sell it. Playing it solo is no fun.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:43 am

Nickolaidas wrote:I really hope that the 1v1 and 2v2 are labeled as exclusives in order to make more sales for the Switch (and eventually be added to the PS4/X1/PC versions after a few months).
Why is it important the Switch version sells? To have a semi portable version of it?

nilcam

Post by nilcam » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:04 pm

Never underestimate Arc's netcode; it's generally godlike. I play BlazBlue Cross Tag almost daily on Switch; I've played roughly 2,000 matches and have only had a handful of laggy matches. I generally play in docked mode with a Hori Ethernet Adapter on a 75 down/50 up connection which helps a bit but, since these games are peer-to-peer, it's not bulletproof. From what I played during the beta, I found the online and game both performed well. I'm looking forward to the release next week! Maybe we should try to get a group going for online play...