Just started playing Xenoverse, and would like some tips and advice

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Apollo Fungus

Just started playing Xenoverse, and would like some tips and advice

Post by Apollo Fungus » Thu Aug 23, 2018 11:12 am

Dragon Ball XenoVerse is a game that, despite how popular it was, I've never been able to play. This was due to a combination of how expensive it usually was (usually being priced at €25 minimum on my end of things) and my own lack of interest in the game. I like the ideas it has, but whenever I watched gameplay of it, it always seem like an inferior version of the Tenkaichi games (I know that's pretty unfair when it's clearly not trying to be that, but it was hard for me to get around that). However, I found a copy of the 360 version for €12 and decided to go for it. It's not too much, and the worst thing that could happen is that I'll trade it in and get another game or two instead.

I've played roughly 3-4 hours in the last day or so, and my initial thoughts are that it's only okay. Combat's very simple, perhaps too much so considering that's what you spend 95% of the game doing, but I kinda like how you use the melee Super attacks as combo extenders. Accomplishing missions is pretty alright, but my main issue with them (and the game in general) is that damned RNG. I'd heard it was pretty bad, and folks were right. I don't mind RNG being a thing in MMO games, since that's one of the ways the game keeps encouraging you to keep playing. I don't have an issue with the concept that I'll obtain a random piece of Gohan's clothes upon beating a Parallel Quest with an Ultimate Finish, but I do have an issue with how you might not get that Ultimate Finish or that you won't get any outfit piece, despite having done what you were allegedly supposed to do.

It's frustrating, and I did consider throwing in the towel. But then I remembered that about 2 years ago, I started playing Dragon's Dogma and hated that game until my brother (who had played a good bit of the game) suggested various bits of advice that led to a much better experience. So maybe that's what I need to do in order to better enjoy XenoVerse.

I'd like to ask you guys for advice on the game. I only have three things I particular want to ask:

-Is there a penalty for changing masters, and is it worth changing masters anyway?

-Is there any way of guaranteeing that I'll get an Ultimate Finish, or is it just something I shouldn't worry about?

-Is the stat increase/decrease in equipping certain clothes worth worrying about?

But if you have any other tips in general, I'm more than happy to hear them. FYI, I'm playing this on an offline account, so I'm not really worried about doing online quests or getting into shenanigans with friends. If you can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, and have a great day!

Nia
Beyond Newbie

Re: Just started playing Xenoverse, and would like some tips and advice

Post by Nia » Thu Aug 23, 2018 12:08 pm

Apollo Fungus wrote:Dragon Ball XenoVerse is a game that, despite how popular it was, I've never been able to play. This was due to a combination of how expensive it usually was (usually being priced at €25 minimum on my end of things) and my own lack of interest in the game. I like the ideas it has, but whenever I watched gameplay of it, it always seem like an inferior version of the Tenkaichi games (I know that's pretty unfair when it's clearly not trying to be that, but it was hard for me to get around that). However, I found a copy of the 360 version for €12 and decided to go for it. It's not too much, and the worst thing that could happen is that I'll trade it in and get another game or two instead.

I've played roughly 3-4 hours in the last day or so, and my initial thoughts are that it's only okay. Combat's very simple, perhaps too much so considering that's what you spend 95% of the game doing, but I kinda like how you use the melee Super attacks as combo extenders. Accomplishing missions is pretty alright, but my main issue with them (and the game in general) is that damned RNG. I'd heard it was pretty bad, and folks were right. I don't mind RNG being a thing in MMO games, since that's one of the ways the game keeps encouraging you to keep playing. I don't have an issue with the concept that I'll obtain a random piece of Gohan's clothes upon beating a Parallel Quest with an Ultimate Finish, but I do have an issue with how you might not get that Ultimate Finish or that you won't get any outfit piece, despite having done what you were allegedly supposed to do.

It's frustrating, and I did consider throwing in the towel. But then I remembered that about 2 years ago, I started playing Dragon's Dogma and hated that game until my brother (who had played a good bit of the game) suggested various bits of advice that led to a much better experience. So maybe that's what I need to do in order to better enjoy XenoVerse.

I'd like to ask you guys for advice on the game. I only have three things I particular want to ask:

-Is there a penalty for changing masters, and is it worth changing masters anyway?

-Is there any way of guaranteeing that I'll get an Ultimate Finish, or is it just something I shouldn't worry about?

-Is the stat increase/decrease in equipping certain clothes worth worrying about?

But if you have any other tips in general, I'm more than happy to hear them. FYI, I'm playing this on an offline account, so I'm not really worried about doing online quests or getting into shenanigans with friends. If you can help me out here, I'd really appreciate it. Thank you, and have a great day!
There's no real penalty for changing masters. The only thing that changes is the Z-Assist (where if you use their ultimate move, they'll appear in conjuction with you for a damage increase) and whether they spawn or not in the center of the PQ lobby area. The only downside is if you want them as a mentor again, you'll have to wait for them to spawn elsewhere.

You can't guarantee Ultimate Finishes in the first game, sadly. Even if you do everything absolutely perfect, sometimes the last part of the quest just won't happen.

The stat increase/decrease can effectively buff or nerf you, depending on how you play; however, I recommend you just go for whichever costume you like unless it's severely prohibiting your ability to complete missions.
It's been a while since I last played XV1, but I'll try to remember a couple things to help.

I'm pretty sure the vanish step was mostly the same in XV1 as it is in the sequel; it's a helpful technique allowing you to move out of the way of stuff or reposition without wasting stamina if you can time it right. This is done by tapping the dash button followed quickly by pressing jump.

A carry-over from Dimps' previous DBZ games, guard cancelling, can be used to extend combos very easily. Any normal melee combo that has you knock away an opponent followed by you "teleporting" to them to hit them again can be altered simply by tapping the guard button as soon as you appear. This cancels your follow up animation and allows you to continue your combo. If your opponent has no stamina, or is too stupid to vanish, you can do some massive damage this way, and recover a crapton of Ki.

If I think of any others, I'll try to remember to post them.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Aug 24, 2018 3:28 pm

Changing masters has no real penalty aside from Z Assists, however the rate at which they appear can be rather atrocious (*glares at Elder Kai*)

Ultimate Finishes are not a guarantee: it's RNG as to whether or not it happens, and RNG whether or not you'll get the move or transformation from it. Good luck farming Super Vegeta or Super Saiyan

Clothing stat increases and buffs are noticeable. I played mostly as I do now: Female Saiyan Ki Build, and I usually ran the 4 Star Dragonball outfit to deal the most damage

Hope you enjoy it! If not, Xenoverse 2 is markedly better in several areas minus it's story

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Sun Aug 26, 2018 4:21 pm

So I played a few more hours of XenoVerse, and I wasn't enjoying it. It got to the point where, when I figured I should give it another go, I genuinely didn't have any enthusiasm or desire to go near the thing. And after a particular obnoxious Parallel Quest that involved fighting a whole bunch of Freeza's goons and getting constantly interrupted by Ki blasts, I just threw in the towel. I traded in the game yesterday and used the trade-in credit to get a phone charging cable, a couple of films for my Dad, and Quake 4, which came with a 360-made port of Quake 2. I've been playing the latter for a while now and I'm having a way better time.

Thank you to Nia and MKCSTEALTH for giving me advice all the same. Though I didn't enjoy the game, I still really appreciate it! Anyhow, it's best to lock this thread, since it's become pretty redundant.