Probable Next Dragon Ball Game (Info Dump/Theory)

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Probable Next Dragon Ball Game (Info Dump/Theory)

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:15 am

UPDATED Since my first most, i got more info. Enough for me to think UI should revamp this original theory into something better.

An Open world Dragon Ball Arpg.

Exhibit A: Through a legit source, TheDevilsCorpse was told that there should be a game between FighterZ and XV3 that is ”not a fighter” and he told this to me. While this cuts down the genre choices, DB is, at the end of the day, centered around fighting so even if it isn’t a actually fighting game, it’s genre must have some form of action.

Exhibit B: 2 months ago we got a rumor from a known leaker that a former Bandai Namco employee told him of bandai’s future projects. Here is the link to said rumor: https://www.reddit.com/r/Kappa/comments ... scvi_dbfz/
In this, he states that we will be getting a DBARPG video game. A Dragon Ball Action role-playing game.

Exhbit C: I messaged the leaker about his post and info he got from the supposed former bamco employee. This is what he said:

” I don't personally buy into the "former Bandai Namco employee" leak for my own skepticism and reasons.
But I will say that I know from my usual and proven Bandai Namco sources that two additional Dragon Ball games are coming (not counting FighterZ for Switch). Those being Xenoverse 3 and another being developed by CC2 are scheduled for 2019 release.
That game by CyberConnect2 sounds a lot like it could and would be that game between FighterZ and XV3 that's not a fighter. But the question is if it has ANY connection to what that supposed "former Bandai Namco employee" claimed, which was an Action RPG based on Dragon Ball. I don't really think so. But I guess it's something to keep in mind. I don't think CC2 would ever make an ARPG like those top down types, but something more like (pardon my disjointed references) NieR:Automata, Ni no Kuni II, Tales of, things like that. ”

Now, would agree with him. A top-down db game sounds stupid and not something CC2 would make. But I did research and ARPG isn’t JUST top-down anymore.

I replied to him with this message:

” Overtime, the term ARPG became so broad that its not even just Top Down games.
Here’s the website that gave the most insight: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/ActionRPG

Long story short, it says:

“By the time the move to real time (and, as it happens, to 3D) was completed, the term "action RPG" came to describe several specific types of gameplay:

-Hack and Slash games with RPG Elements, usually played in third-person to show off flashy melee moves. This style was largely influenced by The Legend of Zelda.
-Isometric point-and-click dungeon crawlers. These games are often referred to as Diablo clones.
-FPS/RPG hybrids. This style was codified by the Immersive Sims System Shock 2 and Deus Ex, though predated by Ur-Example Star Cruiser.
-TPS/RPG hybrids. This style was largely influenced by TPS like Resident Evil 4 and Gears of War.”

And its funny because the games you listed that you would see CC2 making ARE considered ARPGs because the modern terms for ARPGs is:

“By the strictest definition, an ARPG is an RPG where combat success depends equally on player skill and Player Character skill. But the loose and more commonly accepted definition of ARPG (at least, of the contemporary ones) basically boils down to "the fights in this RPG occur in real time and you can play it with a controller". It's no surprise, then, that games as different as The Witcher 2 (a choice-driven narrative game), The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (a Wide Open Sandbox), Diablo III, Dark Souls I, and Final Fantasy XV all get labeled "action RPG", despite being barely comparable in terms of gameplay. This is, perhaps, indicative of how meaningless the label is, where it's becoming more and more synonymous with simply "RPG".”

So basically, i think that your info, my info, and the “former employee’s” info, are all one and the same. Just rearrange the puzzles and it fits.”

Exhibit D: Well, most arpg games that I’ve looked up tend to be open world sandbox or open world-esc games. Also, the website i used most to research ARPG’s also said this about open world sandbox games:

“Traditional role-playing games typically used The Overworld concept, presented as a Fantasy World Map with the Overworld Not to Scale, such as Ultima and Final Fantasy. On the other hand, Action-Adventure and Action RPG titles typically use a fully-scaled open world, with Courageous Perseus and Hydlide being the Ur Examples, The Legend of Zelda being the Trope Maker, and Grand Theft Auto being the Trope Codifier.”

Exhibit E: Back to the possible devs of this game, CC2 announced sometime back that they were hiring to make 3 types of games. One of those games was an Open World game. It was confirmed that the game was a commissioned work and not something that would be published by them. Up til now, they have yet to announce or release any Open World game since the announcement that they were making one. This makes me believe that the Open World game is the ARPG game and its been commissioned by Bandai Namco.

Exhibit F: This info is probably the most important. In the October 2017 Bandai Namco investors report that leaked last year, we found out about Bandai’s plans for 3 games. As of today, the first game is Dragon Ball Legends. The second is what was described as a game with ”an rpg setting” and an ”open world” element. the third game was not specified. Of course, common sense tells you that the game that the rest of this posts described is probably the second game. Also, if my bros, remeber correctly, the game was slated for 2020. And by bros, i mean Val and Komodo.

Release date: In my previous theory, i said 2019. But i may very well be wrong. According to the Bandai investor report, the DB ARPG game would be slated for 2020. This was th year many of us thought XV3 would be slated for. So you may think, whats the 2019 Db game or what about XV3? The 2019 game could very well be DBFighterZ for the Switch as it qualifies in the contract and since it came out in the fiscal year of 2019. As for XV3, while nothing was directly said about it in the reports, ArchedThunder, who was told that XV3 has started production, and I believe that XV3 could be the 3rd unknown game and it would actually be released in 2021. And that would still fit what TDC was told about how there was a game between FighterZ and XV3 that “was not a fighter.”

And thats everything. The next DB game is a DBARPG Open World game for 2020. Thanks to everyone who helped me find all that info (Komodo, Val, TDC, ArchedThunder, that leaker guy).

UPDATE: CC2 still has yet to announce what commissioned game that have been working on. They also still have yet to reveal the open world game they’ve been working on. It could be that they are one and the same and the commissioned game is the DB ARPG commissioned by Bandai Namco
Last edited by AnimeNation101 on Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Probable Next Dragon Ball Game (Info Dump/Theory)

Post by sangofe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 2:33 am

I would be pretty excited for an open world and action Dragon Ball game if it would start with db, go to z, then you could choose between GT or Super.

Super Saiyan Turlast x4
I Live Here

Post by Super Saiyan Turlast x4 » Mon Sep 03, 2018 11:16 am

I'd be perfectly fine with a game on this level.

The only other DBZ game I wanted besides an amazing fighting game is one in the form of an RPG.
"First I whip it out! Then I thrust it! With great force! Every angle...! It penetrates! Until...! With great strength...! I... ram it in! In the end... We are all satisfied... And you are set free...!" ~Dante~

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Sat Sep 08, 2018 8:02 am

I'd love a Dragon Ball RPG game like we've had Attack of the Saiyans. I spent so many hours playing that game, it was like candy, couldn't get enough of it.

mogi67
Not-So-Newbie

Post by mogi67 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 12:17 pm

Open world action game where you can get stronger and train and learn new moves would be amazing...so long as the combat is good

Give us a massive world please

Oniman
Banned

Post by Oniman » Tue Sep 18, 2018 3:53 pm

3D Legacy of Goku would be the shit!
Oh here's to my sweet Satan. The one's who little path would make me sad. Whose power is Satan. He'll give those with him 666.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm

mogi67 wrote:Open world action game where you can get stronger and train and learn new moves would be amazing...so long as the combat is good

Give us a massive world please
I agree. DB has such an expansive world. The potential for an open world game is huge
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:36 am

I really hope it isn't XV3 because XV1 and XV2 are just brainless button-mashers without any originality and lots of grinding. I'd be happy with either an RPG or back to Budokai style with 'Burst Limit 2' which never got made but the finale of BL made gamers expect a sequel to come along.

RichardKing2
Beyond Newbie

Post by RichardKing2 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:37 pm

I really hope it isn't Burst Limit Or another budokai because the budokai games and burst limit are all shallow button mashers with little to no originality, horrible story modes, and bad grinding. Would be happy with FighterZ 2 , as FighterZ makes all the budokai games look like shit in pure depth and gameplay

I can do that too you know. Put down games which have an active fanbase, tell out the worst parts of said game , and create a flamebait post that's designed to rile people up.

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Grimlock » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:26 pm

I really hope it isn't *insert the names of all games released up until Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Z* with it just being the old crap Raditz to Buu without any originality. Crap story mode with no new story to tell, replaying all the same events over and over with no difference at all, no new character introduced. I would be happy with XV3, FighterZ 2, Heroes release in the Western, a whole new game but that has an actual content in it, or even the resurrection of the almighty Dragon Ball Online.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Tue Oct 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Whatever new game we get I hope it focuses on early Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball isn't only Z and Super.

If I had to pick I would love an JRPG from the start of the manga until Piccolo Daimao. We'd have the basic story but the highlight of the game would be "Free Mode" where you could pick Bulma or Yamcha or Kuririn or Pilaf and mold their journey.
Of course we would be able to explore the World, find Dragon Balls, climb Karin Tower to receive training, explore underwater for treasures, all of it.

If only...

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:28 am

LightBing wrote:Whatever new game we get I hope it focuses on early Dragon Ball. Dragon Ball isn't only Z and Super.

If I had to pick I would love an JRPG from the start of the manga until Piccolo Daimao. We'd have the basic story but the highlight of the game would be "Free Mode" where you could pick Bulma or Yamcha or Kuririn or Pilaf and mold their journey.
Of course we would be able to explore the World, find Dragon Balls, climb Karin Tower to receive training, explore underwater for treasures, all of it.

If only...
Well, the leaker said that the game was supposed to be pre-dbz so thats good for you. But I personally fear for the game if its true considering I'm pretty sure mainly Japan would appreciate the game being DB only. Everyone else is more used to flying, crazy fights, and blasts everywhere.

But probably not JRPG style. More like an RPG game with action and open world elements.

Its funny because we’ve been getting a lot of those recently. The Spider-Man game, the upcoming Avengers game, the Harry Potter game that leaked, and now this game.

If its still happening of course.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:57 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:I really hope it isn't XV3 because XV1 and XV2 are just brainless button-mashers without any originality and lots of grinding. I'd be happy with either an RPG or back to Budokai style with 'Burst Limit 2' which never got made but the finale of BL made gamers expect a sequel to come along.
No. The info literally says a db game with action and rpg with open world elements. It’s probably not gonna be anything like the 2d.5 DB video games of old. And XV3 is most definitely still happening

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:41 am

Though I don't really know gameplay elements for it yet, is it possible the game in question is Super Dragonball Heroes: World Mission? It seems like the game could potentially get a localization the same way Fusions did. Or is this info for a home console release?

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Sat Dec 01, 2018 6:39 am

MKCSTEALTH wrote:Though I don't really know gameplay elements for it yet, is it possible the game in question is Super Dragonball Heroes: World Mission? It seems like the game could potentially get a localization the same way Fusions did. Or is this info for a home console release?
Gosh, I hope not.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:18 am

sangofe wrote:
MKCSTEALTH wrote:Though I don't really know gameplay elements for it yet, is it possible the game in question is Super Dragonball Heroes: World Mission? It seems like the game could potentially get a localization the same way Fusions did. Or is this info for a home console release?
Gosh, I hope not.
I've thought about this possibility as well but 2 things make me doubt this. Those 2 things being that i think CC2 is working on the DBARPG and that its supposed to be pre-dbz according to another source. Of course, neither piece of info is confirmed. But I hope the SDBH game isn’t this game.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Sun Jan 13, 2019 9:03 pm

Imma give this a quick bump with this stream coming up tomorrow

emperior
I Live Here

Post by emperior » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:27 pm

It seems like this game could be announced in a few hours. I hope it does, because I’m very interested in the concept of an open world Dragon Ball game done by CC2, and I always wanted them to try their hands at a DB game due to their nice cel-shaded style which I always liked in their Naruto games.

I don’t know how to feel about it possibly being only about the first part of the manga. Sure, it probably will fit their grounded fighting style better but then I can’t imagine the game being really successful without having characters such as Vegeta, or transformations like Super Saiyan, and FighterZ has shown that people don’t really care if the characters aren’t flying all the times, and so did the Budokai games and so does Jump Force.
Also, if the game is truly open world RPG, then flight as a skill acquired late in the game to make it faster to travel the world would be great.

In any case, the original Dragon Ball has its timeless charm and if they could re-capture the atmosphere and feeling of it, I would be happy nonetheless. I just wish that, at least, the game goes until the 23rd Budokai Tenkaichi which is one of my favorite arcs from the entire series and also features adult Goku and Piccolo, so it would be perfect as the end-game, and possibly include some Z/Super characters for a VS mode if there is one.
And who knows, this might actually spawn a new series like Naruto got with Ultimate Ninja Storm, which explored the whole manga.
That is, of course, if this game actually follows the main story and doesn’t do something new itself with created characters and such. Which would be cool, I guess, if they can pull it off well.
悟 “Vincit qui se vincit”

What I consider canonical

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:39 pm

I'm not letting myself open to disappointment. Even if it *is* a real DB RPG, if it's announced for mobile-only of 3DS it basically becomes obsolete to me.

If the game is released in one of the three major consoles, then we'll talk.

MKCSTEALTH
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by MKCSTEALTH » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:35 pm

So from my understanding, the only info we got from the livestream was SDBH World Mission localization for Switch (and PC?) and that we should stay tuned for BIG NEWS coming soon. Even though the livestream was meant to house some BIG NEWS. Granted, the first SDBH spin-off game getting a localization is fairly massive. But nothing new on the new game front it would seem. Perhaps in the coming weeks after Jump Forces we could see something