"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:54 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:Its just that RPG games tend to only follow one character. But then again, if this follows the OG db story, it CAN’T just follow Goku as he doesn’t fight all the fights. I’d like a party system.
From my experience, RPGs tend to follow parties of characters, more akin to having Son Goku alongside Krillin and Piccolo. Then again, I'm thinking of older RPGs.
Thats the way i want it. For example, during the fight against Raditz, you would be in a party with Goku and Piccolo and you would either be able to choose who you want to fight with during the mission or be able to switch in real time during the match.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:55 pm

I'm most interested in how they’ll do flight combat. Something along the lines of XV2’s flight gameplay would be fine.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:09 pm

All I can say is that I hope this has character customization cause I need it.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:18 pm

Kokonoe wrote:All I can say is that I hope this has character customization cause I need it.
Imo, that seems like a waste of time. With how we have SDBH, FighterZ and XV which all have original stories and 2 have Cacs, we need at least one game that goes back to the basics with covering the main story again. Heck, if we HAD to get Cac this series, I’d let this first game cover the main series and let the next one bring characater creation into the mix.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:25 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
Kokonoe wrote:All I can say is that I hope this has character customization cause I need it.
Imo, that seems like a waste of time. With how we have SDBH, FighterZ and XV which all have original stories and 2 have Cacs, we need at least one game that goes back to the basics with covering the main story again. Heck, if we HAD to get Cac this series, I’d let this first game cover the main series and let the next one bring characater creation into the mix.
Hmm...

Now I won't agree it'd be a "waste of time", but I can see the sentiment. I felt like for a while there we had nothing but re-tellings of the story we already know and love and it grew repetitive, one could even say Xenoverse does this instead of being entirely original...but at the same time it's been a while since we've had a genuine story accurate game. So I'll say that I can see the merit of what you're saying and we'll see how it goes, I'd want it to really knock it out of the park with the story like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (in terms of cutscenes) if so.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:35 pm

Yuli Ban wrote:What game since the first (i.e. shittiest) Legacy of Goku had solo Son Goku?
I liked that game. Cheese and all. Like you were Goku pinching a snake in the face , why? Because you could. And it felt really fun.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Kokonoe wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
Hmm...

Now I won't agree it'd be a "waste of time", but I can see the sentiment. I felt like for a while there we had nothing but re-tellings of the story we already know and love and it grew repetitive, one could even say Xenoverse does this instead of being entirely original...but at the same time it's been a while since we've had a genuine story accurate game. So I'll say that I can see the merit of what you're saying and we'll see how it goes, I'd want it to really knock it out of the park with the story like Naruto Ultimate Ninja Storm (in terms of cutscenes) if so.
Which gets me all the more hyped if the CC2 info I've seen is correct. CC2 is the king of anime cinematics. Imagine them handling the classic moments of DB in this game!

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:56 pm

I hope this will be similar to Attack of the Saiyans or Dragon Ball Z - Super Saiya Densetsu.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:03 am

Yeah I'm hoping no on character creation this go round. Party system would be really cool if people came and leave based on the series events. Maybe semi-inconsequential events could be avoided (ie. Piccolo getting shot down by Freeza's Death Beam if you win the fight or something like that). Characters can retain their stats between breaks as well, e.g. Gohan's stats build up as he ages across the series.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:28 am

ArchedThunder wrote:Tweet got deleted, wonder if the announcement wasn't supposed to go out yet or if they are changing some of the wording.
The image that was in the tweet.
So they are not starting with db, eh?

Sora Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Sora Saiyan » Thu Jan 17, 2019 4:25 am

I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly I would really enjoy playing through the series story in an action RPG style, and add what if options similar to how B3 allowed the scenarios to change depending on where you visit throughout the story.
I would still enjoy an original story, so I'm gonna be happy either way, but the series story would be my preference.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jan 17, 2019 5:22 am

Sora Saiyan wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly I would really enjoy playing through the series story in an action RPG style, and add what if options similar to how B3 allowed the scenarios to change depending on where you visit throughout the story.
I would still enjoy an original story, so I'm gonna be happy either way, but the series story would be my preference.
Personally if it has the series story, I'd prefer to play Pilaf to Broly.
Raditz to Buu/TOP/Broly has been done over and over again in most modern DB games.
It's time for a change, even if it's just adding Pilaf to 23rd Budokai to a DBZ/Super RPG.

Either that or an original story with heaps of playable characters.
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:51 am

AnzuMazaki wrote:
Sora Saiyan wrote:I'm probably in the minority here, but honestly I would really enjoy playing through the series story in an action RPG style, and add what if options similar to how B3 allowed the scenarios to change depending on where you visit throughout the story.
Raditz to Buu/TOP/Broly has been done over and over again in most modern DB games.
It's time for a change, even if it's just adding Pilaf to 23rd Budokai to a DBZ/Super RPG.

What are you talking about? Ever since Battle of Z, no modern db game has done the standard Raditz to Buu or to T.o.P or to Broly thing. They’ve all been original stories.

But i would love for this game to cover the whole db series (db,dbz,dbs).

LightBing
I Live Here

Post by LightBing » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:14 am

Copying what I said in another thread a few months back:

If I had to pick I would love an JRPG from the start of the manga until Piccolo Daimao. We'd have the basic story but the highlight of the game would be "Free Mode" where you could pick Bulma or Yamcha or Kuririn or Pilaf and mold their journey.
Of course we would be able to explore the World, find Dragon Balls, climb Karin Tower to receive training, explore underwater for treasures, all of it.

Early Dragon Ball needs some love! Hoping for the best but not expecting much.

AnzuMazaki
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by AnzuMazaki » Thu Jan 17, 2019 8:38 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:
AnzuMazaki wrote:

What are you talking about? Ever since Battle of Z, no modern db game has done the standard Raditz to Buu or to T.o.P or to Broly thing. They’ve all been original stories.

You're right.
Sorry about that.

But at least we both want the whole series to be in this game. :)
If this RPG is Pilaf to Broly, it would be so much fun. :D
Wishes she can change her name to YamchaFan (her name everywhere else)
Obssessed with the Earthlings and the original DB anime

YamchaFan's deviantART: https://yamchafan91.deviantart.com/
YamchaFan's Fanart Tumblr: https://yamchafanart.tumblr.com/
YamchaFan's YouTube (where you can see MikuMikuDance Videos): https://www.youtube.com/user/MihoNosaka

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:11 pm

AnzuMazaki wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
AnzuMazaki wrote:

You're right.
Sorry about that.

But at least we both want the whole series to be in this game. :)
If this RPG is Pilaf to Broly, it would be so much fun. :D
Well apparently the key visual shows Goku bringing Gohan to Kame House which if I remember correctly is straight from the beginning of Z before Raditz confronts them. So it starts with DBZ.

dualist
Regular

Post by dualist » Thu Jan 17, 2019 3:50 pm

I don't know about another retelling of the story. Not that I would mind, but there's nothing to surprise you with the retelling of the story. We've had so many games that have done that. Granted, we are on an unprecedented streak of good DB games and if they produce a game with a retelling of the original story, I'm sure it would be the best one yet. However, I'm perosnally looking for some originality. I loved the lore and story elements of the original DBO that Heroes and Xenoverse borrowed from. It was a totally original stories with a few quests that had you revisiting classic moments and fights throughout the series. It was also a continuation of the original sotry, but set hundreds of years later.

I would prefer something like that and feel it would give us the best of both worlds. If this is an action-rpg with MMO elements, I'm going to be super stoked. DC's MMO (DC Universe Online) used an original story and allowed you to play special missions, raids, and certain PvP battles with classic characters from DC, but the main story involved your CaC interaction with various heroes and villains from the DC Universe. I would like to see something like that.

Regardless of what they decide, I'm excited eithe way it goes and would gladly play an RPG based on the original story. But I prefer something new.
Playing Xenovoerse on PS4
PSN Tag: Dualist721

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:55 pm

Here’s how i hope they handle giants. If this is just DBZ and no movies, the only giants would be Great Apes. I want giants to be done like the Shadow of the Colossus giants like Valus (haven’t played the game but its the closest example i could think of). You would be able to climb onto them and attack from on top and they would have specific pressure points that you could target to do more damage. And they would follow you. In the Great Ape’s case, they would be able to react faster, jump higher, and run farther.

In the game, since you can fly, they would have to make it so that once you enter the zone of the mission, there is an invisible barrier and you can’t fly away or out of reach of the giant OR you can fly away but then that automatically means you forfeit the mission and will have to restart.

I want the giants to actually be big.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:01 am

Guess this is confirmation the game is starting at Raditz?

Nickolaidas
Advanced Regular

Post by Nickolaidas » Sat Jan 19, 2019 9:15 am

Baggie_Saiyan wrote:Guess this is confirmation the game is starting at Raditz?
Interesting artstyle. Very well done. Hope the game will emulate this. I was hoping for a screen with in-game graphics though. Oh, well. 27th it is. I just hope I can stop playing Resident Evil REmake 2 enough so that I can watch the finals.