"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

The gr
I Live Here

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:53 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: For Dragon Ball, its not gonna get a console game based off of just that because not enough people care about or have even seen DB so it wouldn’t make enough money
Can they at least include DBS and Movies heck I wouldn't mind if they were DLC. However we can agree on 1 stuff at the very least is not fighting game because man that would be lame since we have Figtherz and XV2 so they did a smart move there.
Mostly active on discord.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 7:58 pm

The gr wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote: For Dragon Ball, its not gonna get a console game based off of just that because not enough people care about or have even seen DB so it wouldn’t make enough money
Can they at least include DBS and Movies heck I wouldn't mind if they were DLC. However we can agree on 1 stuff at the very least is not fighting game because man that would be lame since we have Figtherz and XV2 so they did a smart move there.
Anime games tend to be best in 3 game genres.

2d/2.5d fighters. 3d arena brawlers. Open world/action-adventure games.

People have been asking for the 3rd option for DB for a while. Hopefully they pull this off well, it gets positive reception, and this becomes a new series so when XV3 happens (and is prob the last iteration) this series can be there to fill the hole.

My ideal yet realistic expectation for this game is that it goes from Raditz to Buu with dbz movies as either side missions in the base game or DLC. If the DBZ movies AREN’T the DLC then the I’d expect DBS although personally, I’d rather save DBS for a sequel game. DLC could also be GT.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:23 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: Anime games tend to be best in 3 game genres.

2d/2.5d fighters. 3d arena brawlers. Open world/action-adventure games.

People have been asking for the 3rd option for DB for a while. Hopefully they pull this off well, it gets positive reception, and this becomes a new series so when XV3 happens (and is prob the last iteration) this series can be there to fill the hole.

My ideal yet realistic expectation for this game is that it goes from Raditz to Buu with dbz movies as either side missions in the base game or DLC. If the DBZ movies AREN’T the DLC then the I’d expect DBS although personally, I’d rather save DBS for a sequel game. DLC could also be GT.
If movie are going to appear then I'm only expecting Bog,Rof,Broly,Janemba and Cooler which is not a bad thing to say at least.
    I haven't seen Piccolo and Goku in a beam struggle so I hope we get more new scenes like that.
    Mostly active on discord.

SSJmole
    Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:45 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
    The gr wrote:
    AnimeNation101 wrote:
    Have you been living under a rock for the past few years? Everything we’ve been getting on the game side of DB is original! And with us prob getting more original stories sooner or later, you can’t deal with ONE new Raditz to seemingly Buu game that hasn’t been done in a while?
    No I'm aware of the other game you mentioned and I wanted them to keep that streak and if there going for a retelling can they at least not ignore DB since that always get ignored seriously those arc have good potential for RPG.
    • /list]I haven't even mentioned other animes game since I didn't even played them aside from that Naruto game on the PSP so I'm only applying to DB.
    For Dragon Ball, its not gonna get a console game based off of just that because not enough people care about or have even seen DB so it wouldn’t make enough money

Sadly this. I bought the Wii Dragonball game but hardly anyone did I heard it bombed. Though a game that's Dragonball and Z could work as an RPG or something. Maybe. But a full Dragonball won't which is sad.

AnimeNation101
    I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:50 pm

SSJmole wrote:
    AnimeNation101 wrote:
    The gr wrote:No I'm aware of the other game you mentioned and I wanted them to keep that streak and if there going for a retelling can they at least not ignore DB since that always get ignored seriously those arc have good potential for RPG.
    • /list]I haven't even mentioned other animes game since I didn't even played them aside from that Naruto game on the PSP so I'm only applying to DB.
    For Dragon Ball, its not gonna get a console game based off of just that because not enough people care about or have even seen DB so it wouldn’t make enough money
    Sadly this. I bought the Wii Dragonball game but hardly anyone did I heard it bombed. Though a game that's Dragonball and Z could work as an RPG or something. Maybe. But a full Dragonball won't which is sad.
    At this point, only DBZ and DBS are popular enough to stand as alone games. DB and GT need to be accompanied by one of those 2 to survive
    I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

Hellspawn28
    Patreon Supporter

Post by Hellspawn28 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 8:57 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:Ugh. Raditz to Majin Boo again?
    I think the last DB game that we had that was from Raditz to Buu was DBZFK back in 2012. It feels strange that we may be getting a normal DBZ game again after having games that had Super content in them.
    She/Her
    PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
    LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Logania
    Regular

Post by Logania » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I think having the movies instead of Super in this game would be a better move, from a gameplay standpoint for the open world. Most of the locations in Super besides the Battle of Gods and Revival of F storyline take places in other worlds and universes and I'd rather they focus on expanding the current world map they'll have instead of little set pieces.

Like flying around and stumbling upon Dr. Wheelo's secret lab for a side mission, or needing to go to Garlic Jrs castle in a high level area with Piccolo later for a cool team mission.

Just things like that to make the game world a bit more alive and have more depth with the movie stories as most Dragon Ball games with the movies is just "fight enemy in deserted area and defeat them" and that's it, when the movies have a lot more to it.
    "I can't increase my ability through some kind of noisy transformation the way Frost and you Saiyans do. If I wanna become more lethal, I don't have the luxury of cutting corners, I just have to do it the old-fashioned way.

Combat is craft. What matters most is not raw power, but the skill by which you hone it."

SSJmole
    Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:55 pm

Logania wrote:I think having the movies instead of Super in this game would be a better move, from a gameplay standpoint for the open world. Most of the locations in Super besides the Battle of Gods and Revival of F storyline take places in other worlds and universes and I'd rather they focus on expanding the current world map they'll have instead of little set pieces.

Like flying around and stumbling upon Dr. Wheelo's secret lab for a side mission, or needing to go to Garlic Jrs castle in a high level area with Piccolo later for a cool team mission.

Just things like that to make the game world a bit more alive and have more depth with the movie stories as most Dragon Ball games with the movies is just "fight enemy in deserted area and defeat them" and that's it, when the movies have a lot more to it.

It also makes sense as the movies are like 1 hour each. Easy to fit in the RPG and spread it out like say lord slug and a turles. as if it's popular game 2 cell + cooler and BoJack , game 3 buu + beeus and maybe janemba. Game 4 universe 6 + copy vegeta + golden frieza and so on.

As this could be a great series going forward and movies as dlc works too. Like I'd like The World's Strongest to play through as I feel that movie is oftern over looked. It's not as good as cooler or Resurrection f but it's not as bad as bio broly or dead zone. So never gets talked about

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:06 pm

A pure Z game + movies is best case scenario for me.

AnimeNation101
    I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:16 pm

Logania wrote:I think having the movies instead of Super in this game would be a better move, from a gameplay standpoint for the open world. Most of the locations in Super besides the Battle of Gods and Revival of F storyline take places in other worlds and universes and I'd rather they focus on expanding the current world map they'll have instead of little set pieces.

I LOVE this idea
    Dbzfan94 wrote:A pure Z game + movies is best case scenario for me.
    Word. Hold Super off for a sequel game imo.

Have this game be pure Z with the movies as side missions.

And each movie gets unlocked depending on how far in the story you are. For example, the Broly mission would unlock when you beat the mission that takes place before the Cell Games since the Broly movie supposedly takes place between the 10 days of peace before the Cell Games. But have the Bojack movie be unlocked right after the Cell Saga is beaten since that’s when it takes place. And have Cooler’s Revenge unlocked after you beat the Namek Saga and have Cooler’s Return unlocked after you beat Cooler’s Revenge.

Also have Bardock’s story as a secret mission for when you beat the story mode.
    Last edited by AnimeNation101 on Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dbzfan94
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:19 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:

I LOVE this idea

Have this game be pure Z with the movies as side missions.

And each movie gets unlocked depending on how far in the story you are. For example, the Broly mission would unlock when you beat the mission that takes place before the Cell Games since the Broly movie supposedly takes place between the 10 days of peace before the Cell Games. But have the Bojack movie be unlocked right after the Cell Saga is beaten since that’s when it takes place. And have Cooler’s Revenge unlocked after you beat the Namek Saga and have Cooler’s Return unlocked after you beat Cooler’s Revenge.
    Both of those sound great! I love that.

Kanassa
    Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Mon Jan 28, 2019 10:49 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
    I dunno, outside of maybe the TOP (I know it sounds crazy), I don't think Super's story is 'free' enough to really fit this kind of game without feeling awkward.
    When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
    FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
    - FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017

AnimeNation101
    I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:12 pm

Kanassa wrote:
    AnimeNation101 wrote:
    I dunno, outside of maybe the TOP (I know it sounds crazy), I don't think Super's story is 'free' enough to really fit this kind of game without feeling awkward.
    I do see your point. DBS is much more like a series of battles with even lesss Adventure than Z which is ironic considering ho much world buildings and expansion DBS has done. But i feel like its the logical and essential next step.

CJStriker_CBR
    I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by CJStriker_CBR » Mon Jan 28, 2019 11:45 pm

What I am most curious about is how Open of a World and RPG Character building will this be?

Also, what stories will in incorporate, just DB and Z or will we get the Movies and Hopefully Super at the sametime as well?!

The RPG Characters, are they set characters from the series or will their be created characters and for the set characters how many will their be to choose from and which series?

So far I am interested in this game but need more info on these topics to get my hype higher. :think:
    --- ADMIN NOTE: THIS SIGNATURE IS FAR TOO LONG. PLEASE REDUCE IN SIZE. ---
    Let it Bloom. Let it Ring. The Song of Love & Victory!”:clap:
    Brianne De Chateau/Ribrianne!
    My #1 in DB!
    :thumbup:

I’m a Veteran Poster of Comic Book Resources since 2012! 8)
    http://community.comicbookresources.com ... -CJStriker

Jackal puFF

Post by Jackal puFF » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:32 am

Looks fun and interesting. Reminds me of Legacy of Goku. I was hoping for more of Attack of the Saiyans feel.. I can honestly say I am not excited to fight Radditz all the way up to Buu again.. Unless we get all of Super in there. Would they even be able to fit all of that in? Here's hoping there's some what if's thrown in there.

Super Saiyan Swagger

Post by Super Saiyan Swagger » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:42 am

I hope this game has kickass QTEs. The Naruto Storm games had the best QTEs I've ever seen in a video game.

I think what excites me the most is how CC2 will tell the story. Naruto Storm 2 and 3 told the story of Kishimoto's manga better than the anime adaptation.

dragonballhero
    Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Tue Jan 29, 2019 2:07 am

Xeogran wrote:
    I'll be honest here. No DBZ videogame had a visually well done Buu Saga. Most of the fighters (Tenkaichi and Budokais) only had brief dialogue exchanges and then straight into battle. Budokai 1, with best cutscenes, was only up to Cell.

This might be our very first opportunity to get a nice game adaptation of that arc. As long as it doesn't stop at Cell for some bizarre reasons again.
    Yeah, I noticed that myself. Aside from Infinite World (and even then, that's VERY arguable), the Majin Buu arc has (to my memory) NEVER gotten a well-done 'video game adaptation' (so to speak) on the level of what the Saiyan, Frieza, and Cell sagas got in games like Budokai 1 and Burst Limit.

Honestly, I'm going to be pretty miffed if this game (for Heaven knows what reason) stops at the end of the Cell Games/Future Trunks returning to his reality, as I actually rather enjoy the Majin Buu arc (despite its flaws).

Sin
    OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sin » Tue Jan 29, 2019 5:43 am

dragonballhero wrote:
    Xeogran wrote:
    I'll be honest here. No DBZ videogame had a visually well done Buu Saga. Most of the fighters (Tenkaichi and Budokais) only had brief dialogue exchanges and then straight into battle. Budokai 1, with best cutscenes, was only up to Cell.

This might be our very first opportunity to get a nice game adaptation of that arc. As long as it doesn't stop at Cell for some bizarre reasons again.
    Yeah, I noticed that myself. Aside from Infinite World (and even then, that's VERY arguable), the Majin Buu arc has (to my memory) NEVER gotten a well-done 'video game adaptation' (so to speak) on the level of what the Saiyan, Frieza, and Cell sagas got in games like Budokai 1 and Burst Limit.

Honestly, I'm going to be pretty miffed if this game (for Heaven knows what reason) stops at the end of the Cell Games/Future Trunks returning to his reality, as I actually rather enjoy the Majin Buu arc (despite its flaws).
    But if that's the case it opens it up to have a possible sequel dedicated to just that.

Here is the full background image for anybody that doesnt have a monitor big enough to see it: https://dbar.bn-ent.net/images/pc/bg.jpg

As pretty as it looks in some areas I'm still not getting my hopes up until we see more.

nato25
    Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:26 am

Sin wrote:
    dragonballhero wrote:
    Xeogran wrote:

But if that's the case it opens it up to have a possible sequel dedicated to just that.

Here is the full background image for anybody that doesnt have a monitor big enough to see it: https://dbar.bn-ent.net/images/pc/bg.jpg

As pretty as it looks in some areas I'm still not getting my hopes up until we see more.
    I love the idea of really focusing hard on one or two sagas. For once the story will get done without skipping anything, that hasn't happened in the video games in for ever, maybe infinite world got the closest with it's mini games. If they do this focusing on the cell arc next and then a buu saga one that would be epic. I'm actually sad they didnt start with dragon ball, they really are terrified that a pure dragon ball game will sell poorly.

JohnnyCashKami
    Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 29, 2019 10:58 am

Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I hope this game has kickass QTEs. The Naruto Storm games had the best QTEs I've ever seen in a video game.

I think what excites me the most is how CC2 will tell the story. Naruto Storm 2 and 3 told the story of Kishimoto's manga better than the anime adaptation.
    Hopefully not. Ultimate Blast kinda sucked because if QTEs.