"Dragon Ball Z: Kakarot" Official Discussion Thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Re: "Dragon Ball Game Project Z Action RPG" Announced.

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:04 am

AnimeNation101 wrote:DLC could also be GT.
Jeez, the game was just revealed and people are already talking about DLC. No wonder publishers are so used to promote and sell DLC before the actual game(s) is even out.

Then again, that's the modern mentality and games ultimately end up being incomplete due to day one patches and dlc packs.

Switch games are somewhat even worse since half of its game data has to be acquired digitally and then when the Switch's server are shutdown.. I guess, you have to rely on piracy to play your games (if you didn't download it or deleted it).

Apollo Fungus

Post by Apollo Fungus » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:20 am

I remember reading about this rumour a while back, and I'm pleasantly surprised to see that it's actually happening. I'm not entirely sure whether to be pleased that CyberConnect2 is developing the game - I've only played two of their games (Ultimate Ninja Storm 2 and Asura's Wrath), and they struck me as gorgeous in terms of presentation, but too mechanically shallow for it to engage me for more than five minutes. That said, those games were made years ago and this is an Action RPG, so I'm curious to see more of the game proper before I get properly interested or dismissive.

It's pretty cool to see a 3D Dragon Ball game where you can fully explore the world, but I'm really curious to know how you actually move about in the world. Too many open world games make the sheer act of moving the character functional but incredibly tedious (which strips all the fun out of exploring the world for its own sake), and I'm hoping that the controls/movement for the characters is enjoyable enough to be an adventure in its own right - much like how the UbiSoft Naruto games from the 00s managed to do that.

I actually don't mind the idea that this could be a traditional DBZ retelling. I never really felt that was a bad thing in the games, but I suppose the backlash came from a combination of two things: 1. There weren't really any games that offered an original story beyond the odd handheld original/spin-off, and 2. from 2005 to 2011, the series was dominated almost exclusively by the Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking/Raging Blast style of gameplay. Even though I liked that style of gameplay, I imagine playing through the same narrative with the same gameplay for 5-7 titles in a row would get really boring.

But that was a long time ago: Dragon Ball games tend to tell their own stories these days, and usually offer a larger variety of gameplay styles. I think with that in mind, it's okay to do a game that retells the story with no additional twists or anything of the sort. And with the continuing focus on FighterZ and XenoVerse, it's not like this is going to bring us right back to having only "Raditz to Buu" games again. I'm happy with having both types of games around, especially since the retellings might be able to get new fans curious enough to check out the series (considering that was how I got into Dragon Ball back in 2008, I imagine that's happened for plenty of other folks, and could happen again with this one).

In regards to the speculation that this could be a Saiyan/Freeza only game like Legacy of Goku (BLECH), I'm not too sure. Yes, that's all we've been shown in the initial screenshots and teaser trailer - but I should point out that we've only been shown the initial screenshots and teaser trailer. I'd suspect there is plenty more going on, but this is all we're being shown so far. Yes, we know that there is other material that comes after it, and it might seem weird that they won't show any of it (especially when it's at least 25 years old and would be pretty common knowledge amongst most fans by this point), but this is Japanese marketing. They tend to be a lot more secretive about things compared to the typical US approach of "show everything in case people get bored now now NOW!", because to show only a little bit of something can make people much more curious about something. I know I'm interested to see what else they've got to show for this game, and that might not be there if they showed off everything in the teaser trailer(!) before they even told us what the game's gonna be called.

I'm not saying it couldn't be a Saiyan/Freeza only affair (which would be really disappointing - as much as I like the idea of trying to expand on those arcs and fill them with interesting side-quests and stories "Attack of the Saiyans"-style, I really don't want the audience to feel like they should have to buy this game to partially ensure the existence of sequels to adapt the Cell and Buu arcs to a similar level of quality). All I'm saying is just wait until we hear more about this game; remember, we have no idea that XenoVerse was gonna have a somewhat original story and a character creator back when it was first announced way back when, so you never know.

The main thing that really interests me from that trailer are the cutscenes; not so much for the animation itself, but for the direction and cinematography. I once wrote about how Burst Limit had the best cutscene direction out of any Dragon Ball game, most of which are pretty lacking and tasteless in their use of colours, storyboarding, sound and music, pacing, atmosphere, and the like. And going from a couple of the scenes in the trailer, it looks like this might be the first Dragon Ball game in a long time to try for something similar - the way Vegeta's death included a point-of-view shot of Goku, which is blurred by the tears in his eyes and quietly fading to indicate his impending death, is a particularly nice touch.

I don't have any of the consoles it's coming out on, nor do I have any need or incentive to get one right now, so I can't really look forward to playing this game. But I'm definitely interested to see how things turn out, particularly in the cutscenes and movement controls. Best of luck CC2, and I hope y'all make a good game that you've enjoy making.

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Post by 90sDBZ » Tue Jan 29, 2019 12:25 pm

Honestly I'm pretty excited by this. After the past few game stories I actually feel ready to play through Raditz to Kid Buu again. It would have been nice if it started from DB, but understandably they want to make the most profit from the more popular Z. Do we even have confirmation of it going past Frieza? If not it might end up being a Legacy of Goku style trilogy.

Xeogran
I Live Here

Post by Xeogran » Tue Jan 29, 2019 1:54 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Super Saiyan Swagger wrote:I hope this game has kickass QTEs. The Naruto Storm games had the best QTEs I've ever seen in a video game.

I think what excites me the most is how CC2 will tell the story. Naruto Storm 2 and 3 told the story of Kishimoto's manga better than the anime adaptation.
Hopefully not. Ultimate Blast kinda sucked because if QTEs.
He means story mode QTEs and not Gameplay-forced I'm sure.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:17 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:DLC could also be GT.
Jeez, the game was just revealed and people are already talking about DLC. No wonder publishers are so used to promote and sell DLC before the actual game(s) is even out.

Then again, that's the modern mentality and games ultimately end up being incomplete due to day one patches and dlc packs.

Switch games are somewhat even worse since half of its game data has to be acquired digitally and then when the Switch's server are shutdown.. I guess, you have to rely on piracy to play your games (if you didn't download it or deleted it).

I think you have that slightly backwards. We expect and think of dlc BECAUSE publishers are so used to promote and sell DLC before the actual game(s) is even out. EVERYTHING has dlcs now. Some say it makes sense as games have stayed the same price for years but cost to make has gone up. But I'm not sure on that 100% as more copies sell now than then.

KinguKurimuzon
Beyond Newbie

Post by KinguKurimuzon » Mon Feb 04, 2019 4:23 am

Now that I think about it, I wonder if this game's existence has anything to do with CyberConnect2 getting pulled from the Final Fantasy 7 remake. Maybe they're repurposing code and some assets from it to use here.
"Are you trying to impress me with your transformation sequence?" - Mashymre Cello

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:56 pm

KinguKurimuzon wrote:Now that I think about it, I wonder if this game's existence has anything to do with CyberConnect2 getting pulled from the Final Fantasy 7 remake. Maybe they're repurposing code and some assets from it to use here.
No. Its funny because i while back, CC2 was requesting help for the FF game AND an unnamed open world game which is very likely this one. This DB game was planned long before CC2 lost FF.

I DO think/hope that the staff and assets they used for the FF game moved to the DB game after CC2 lost the FF game.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:59 pm

MY SAFE EXPECTATIONS FOR THIS GAME

Story: Story only goes to Namek and stops there. Any and all (or most) DBZ movies that take place from the start of DBZ to before the Android Saga will be side quests. So basically Garlic Jr to Cooler’s Return (the one with Metal Cooler).

Combat: Combat gameplay will be on the “hack-and-slash” side of things.

Roster: The roster will be at least Goku, Kid Gohan, Piccolo, Krillin, and Vegeta with none of the bad guys you fight ever being playable. Bardock MAY be playable depending on if DBMinus/FatherOfGoku is a side mission. No villains will be playable. BEST CASE SCENARIO: The villains we DO get to use are the main villains of each arc like Freeza or Perfect Cell and Kid Buu (if Cell and Buu Saga make it in).

World: Its open world OR semi-open world where you can go from area to area via an Overworld (like Budokai 3) but the free roam aspect comes from being able to freely explore each area (but you just cant go from area to area in real-time like an open world game). There will be a mission in which you have to run along all of Snake Way.

Online: The most online this game will have is online co-op.
I called it that Gogeta, Bardock, and something Broly related would be in the movie before it was even announced that it was a Broly movie. 8)

"I don't think I'm a hero of justice or anythin'. But those who'd hurt my friends... I won't forgive!"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:33 pm

I remember that poll from Bandai and I have voted for Dragon Ball RPG. I should be happy then.
After the trailer came out, I don't care, at all.

The models look plastic bland (architecture, environment) and bad, mostly Goku's hair. Graphics looks PS3 era.
Again, Start at Raditz and go up to... Freeza only? I remember back in the days, almost every SNES RPG was up to Freeza (maybe because the series was up to Freeza at that time).
There is one new series, Super around. I am happy that FighterZ is like Budokai was, the current versions of characters, as most looks and interactions are from Super, excluding legacy characters and Android 18.
Trailer didn't had anything to keep me interested. It is Z again, why it won't ever start with Dragon Ball? Or at least 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai?
I am afraid, that this game will be a filler, to release something and grab money, like Ultimate Tenkaichi was.

Was huge fan of Legacy of Goku series, it was fun thing. I grew up on Pokemon and Final Fantasy, so exploring the world and doing stuff like being in Namekian temple or transporting dinosaur egg, was ridiculous but fun.
I don't have feeling that this will be any fun. I had fun even with Raging Blast 2, which I liked a lot for it's visual fan service, that I lack in XV2 (which has ton of content, but looks and plays clunky).
I pass on this game, will wait for reviews and videos or, and I hope not, angry rants.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:19 pm

MCDaveG wrote: Trailer didn't had anything to keep me interested. It is Z again, why it won't ever start with Dragon Ball? Or at least 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai?
It might be. Look at the trailer again it has Goku Vs piccolo. In Z they don't actually fight. So it might very well include the end of Dragonball.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:36 pm

SSJmole wrote:
MCDaveG wrote: Trailer didn't had anything to keep me interested. It is Z again, why it won't ever start with Dragon Ball? Or at least 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai?
It might be. Look at the trailer again it has Goku Vs piccolo. In Z they don't actually fight. So it might very well include the end of Dragonball.
Na. Pretty sure thats image training. Its the exact same scene as when Kid Gohan came to find Goku meditating right at the beginning of the intro. Kid Gohan wasn’t alive when Goku and Piccolo fought at the end of Dragon Ball. And they never fought in Mt Poazu.
MCDaveG wrote: There is one new series, Super around. I am happy that FighterZ is like Budokai was, the current versions of characters, as most looks and interactions are from Super, excluding legacy characters and Android 18.
Trailer didn't had anything to keep me interested. It is Z again, why it won't ever start with Dragon Ball? Or at least 23rd Tenkaichi Budokai?
Dragon Ball will never get a major solo game because not enough fans care about or have even scene Dragon Ball so it would probably flop. More people would rather have a Raditz to Buu arpg than a DB arpg. Smart business decision on their part. DBZ is still the most popular iteration of Dragon Ball with DBS close behind.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:43 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:
Na. Pretty sure thats image training. Its the exact same scene as when Kid Gohan came to find Goku meditating right at the beginning of the intro. Kid Gohan wasn’t alive when Goku and Piccolo fought at the end of Dragon Ball. And they never fought in Mt Poazu.
That's fair. I didn't think of location. I thought they were fighting in sky. Then rewatching it you are right. Sorry.

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:46 pm

SSJmole wrote:
AnimeNation101 wrote:
SSJmole wrote:
That's fair. I didn't think of location. I thought they were fighting in sky. Then rewatching it you are right. Sorry.
No need for an apology, lol. Any how, i do think its possible that maybe this Piccolo v Goku fight is a tutorial fight.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 11:15 pm

MCDaveG wrote: I pass on this game, will wait for reviews and videos or, and I hope not, angry rants.
Still a little early to say you'll pass, don't you think? At least wait for more news and actual gameplay.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Feb 05, 2019 4:03 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:
MCDaveG wrote: I pass on this game, will wait for reviews and videos or, and I hope not, angry rants.
Still a little early to say you'll pass, don't you think? At least wait for more news and actual gameplay.
As I said, will wait for reviews and videos, but I won't support this game from get go.
Japanese games cost like AAA games, but you mostly pay for a bad game with franchise sticker on it.
FighterZ is a really good game and I buy all DLC, but even I wanted it from the day one, I rather waited for some price decrease on the box version,
as the game was sold for 100 bucks a new, which is rudiculous, not even Tomb Raider or new Assasins Creed cost that much.

Trailer is underwhelming and I am not excited at all, they should try more :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kizuki
Beyond Newbie

Post by kizuki » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:13 pm

To be honest, I don't think this game is specifically aimed for the hardcore fan, or someone who has been following the series for 20+ years (like myself - old man, reporting in). I think what BandaiNamco is doing is something that Game Freak did with Pokemon at the end of this year.

A lot of new fans have jumped into the series in the last year or so, with the introduction of Xenoverse 1 and 2, the last 3 movies and Super the anime having been a thing. Hell, some newer fans only experiences of "Z" has been TFS videos on YouTube for DBZ Abridged.

Personally, graphics and all that aside, I think they're giving the new fan a chance to experience the entire story of Dragon Ball Z (Not Dragon Ball, because honestly the newer fan will not find the original story as exciting as Z, if we're being honest here) from the beginning to the end, even if they're only going through the Freeza/Namek Arc and adding other things in as DLC/Season Pass or whatever. This is basically what Gamefreak did with Pokemon, releasing a semi-watered down version of the original Red/Blue/Green/Yellow version out for the new fan to experience the "original" world of Pokemon like old fans did 20 years ago.

I know they're different. One is a video game company using a NEW video game to introduce elements of an OLD video game but with the Dragon Ball wave going strong it wouldn't surprise me if Bandai was doing the same thing with their entire DB franchise as well.

That's just my take on it.

Either way, I'm at the point where if it's Dragon Ball related I'll likely buy it. Definitely want to see what else gets revealed down the line.

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Wed Feb 06, 2019 12:02 am

Seriously? No Switch?

It looks really cool, especially the shots of Goku walking past Kame House and Capsule Corp. I know there was a lot of work put into a potential “Legacy of Goku 4” by Webfoot a few years ago. I wonder if that led to this in any way shape or form.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!

RisanF
Not-So-Newbie

Post by RisanF » Wed Feb 06, 2019 5:32 am

I have to confess, I get worried when there's a teaser trailer that doesn't show any gameplay, because I'm not sure what Bamco means when they say "Action RPG." When I think "Action RPG", I think of free-roaming adventure with beat-em-up style combat against scores of fodder, like Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, YS, or one of the Sword Art Online games. But now I'm wondering is what they're calling an "Action RPG" is just going to be another one-on-one fighting system, with a progression system and some segregated exploring segments? To an "Action RPG" fan like myself, that basically sounds like just another fighting game, and there's already enough Dragon Ball fighting games, especially with FighterZ taking all the attention.

Despite being a Dragon Ball fan, I'm not a big fan of fighting games; I'm not good at them, and I like beat-em-up and exploration more. That's a problem for me, since DBZ is more suited to becoming a one-on-one fighting game, which is why I tend to stick to games based on the original Dragon Ball, like DB Origins 2.

If "Project Z" is to become a Kingdom Hearts-style ARPG, they're going to have to tinker with the DBZ formula, and I wonder if the designers of the game are willing to play fast-and-loose like that. I know it can be done, and it can have creative results. I'm surprised by the fact that a lot of people really like the Legacy of Goku series, and want this new game to be an extension of that. Then, there's the people who want to give the "Sagas" concept another go (which wasn't necessarily a bad concept, just a bad execution)

What's your best guess on what direction this game is headed in?

AnimeNation101
I Live Here

Post by AnimeNation101 » Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:54 pm

RisanF wrote:I have to confess, I get worried when there's a teaser trailer that doesn't show any gameplay, because I'm not sure what Bamco means when they say "Action RPG." When I think "Action RPG", I think of free-roaming adventure with beat-em-up style combat against scores of fodder, like Kingdom Hearts, Zelda, YS, or one of the Sword Art Online games. But now I'm wondering is what they're calling an "Action RPG" is just going to be another one-on-one fighting system, with a progression system and some segregated exploring segments? To an "Action RPG" fan like myself, that basically sounds like just another fighting game, and there's already enough Dragon Ball fighting games, especially with FighterZ taking all the attention.

Despite being a Dragon Ball fan, I'm not a big fan of fighting games; I'm not good at them, and I like beat-em-up and exploration more. That's a problem for me, since DBZ is more suited to becoming a one-on-one fighting game, which is why I tend to stick to games based on the original Dragon Ball, like DB Origins 2.

If "Project Z" is to become a Kingdom Hearts-style ARPG, they're going to have to tinker with the DBZ formula, and I wonder if the designers of the game are willing to play fast-and-loose like that. I know it can be done, and it can have creative results. I'm surprised by the fact that a lot of people really like the Legacy of Goku series, and want this new game to be an extension of that. Then, there's the people who want to give the "Sagas" concept another go (which wasn't necessarily a bad concept, just a bad execution)

What's your best guess on what direction this game is headed in?
The best way to say it is Breath of the Wild: DBZ Edition.

A 100% open world where the only loaindsg screens you must go through are ones when you go from Earth to Namek or from Namek to Otherworld. The combat would be hack-and-slash.

I really hope its 100% open world and not semi-open world where is just multiple zones, each with the ability to free roam.

I want to be able to explore Mt Poazu, travel to West City in real time, and explore West City when i get there.

Not explore Mt Poazu, then have to go through a loading screen or go to an Overworld, and then load into West City to explore it.

Kanassa
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Kanassa » Wed Feb 06, 2019 11:13 pm

AnimeNation101 wrote: The best way to say it is Breath of the Wild: DBZ Edition.

A 100% open world where the only loaindsg screens you must go through are ones when you go from Earth to Namek or from Namek to Otherworld. The combat would be hack-and-slash.

I really hope its 100% open world and not semi-open world where is just multiple zones, each with the ability to free roam.

I want to be able to explore Mt Poazu, travel to West City in real time, and explore West City when i get there.

Not explore Mt Poazu, then have to go through a loading screen or go to an Overworld, and then load into West City to explore it.
I dunno, I feel like a Dragon Ball game attempting full on open world will just run into the 'LOOK AT ALL THAT EMPTY/GENERIC SPACE YOU CAN IGNORE!' problem
When Super apparently shoves Goku down our throats:

Kanassa wrote:
FoolsGil wrote:I hope Mark is dead. But chances are the dragonballs will bring his stupid ass back. :D
- FoolsGil, Out of Context, 2017