Dragon Ball Z: Burst Limit - General Discussion

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:07 am

Kirbopher wrote:While it's cool hearing "Son Goku" in english and all, that whole speech...that's not the original Japanese script is it? I thought the whole "I am the hope of the universe, the light in the darkness, the answer to all living blah blah blah I am the CREATURE IN THE NIIIIGHT~" was the direct translation, and the "Ally to good, nightmare to you!" is what they used in place of "I am Super Saiyan Son Goku!!" for the dub. I assumed the vast majority of the script for this game was exactly how the original script was, did they change a few things, to those've you who know the Japanese script in and out?
I don't have the game, but a direct translation of the lines from the manga would be: "I am a Saiyan who came from Earth to defeat you...the legendary warrior with a calm heart awakened by rage...Super Saiyan Song Goku!!!!!" I'd assume the Japanese script would be exactly the same as the lines in the manga/anime. So basically what's said in the game is a pretty close translation of the original Japanese. The whole "I am the hope of the universe, etc, etc" bit was completely original to Funi's dub.

Watching that video, it looks like this game's script is pretty accurately translated. They even have SSJ Goku yell "I am truely angry!!", which is what he says in Japanese (or just "I'm angry!!"). If I remember right, Viz changed this line to "It's over, Freeza!". So this game's script translation is more faithful than Viz.
SSj Kaboom wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:Just wished he pronounced "Son" correctly. More of an "o" sound. But oh well, I can live with it. :D
I still haven't seen the video where he says "Son Goku." Did I miss the link somewhere?
Kirbopher posted a link to a video with the line in his post. The "Son Goku" bit is a ways past the middle mark, during the "You can destroy a planet, but not me!" "What are you?!" "Blah blah blah Super Saiyan Son Goku!!" scene.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:22 am

Holy crap, I'm impressed. I wish Schemmel was this good in the anime.

Now if we can only get new VAs for 80% of the cast and we're in business. :P

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:31 am

SSj Kaboom wrote:
Lavender Saiyan wrote:Just wished he pronounced "Son" correctly. More of an "o" sound. But oh well, I can live with it. :D
I still haven't seen the video where he says "Son Goku." Did I miss the link somewhere?
Right in this link;

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YWy5egxlHek

At about 4:35
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:50 am

In Budokai 1 he said "It's over, Freeza!" I'm looking for the cutscene on youtube, but it seems to have been taken down. It was a pretty well done piece of voice acting, but I preferred Burst Limit's.

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Fri Jun 13, 2008 7:05 am

Captain Awesome wrote: Budokai 1:

Part one

Part two

Part three

Part four

Part five

Adey
Beyond Newbie

Post by Adey » Fri Jun 13, 2008 12:28 pm

Awesome! This guy has all the cutscenes.
Hah, I remember they "translated" one of Vegeta's angry remarks to "You Aunt Sallies"

Well, atleast in the PAL version with the Japanese voices.

What were they thinking...

Peabo

Post by Peabo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:16 pm

Adey wrote:Hah, I remember they "translated" one of Vegeta's angry remarks to "You Aunt Sallies"

What were they thinking...
I remember that! And it wasn't only once that they used that line either...

Kirbopher
Regular

Post by Kirbopher » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:23 pm

Captain Awesome wrote:
Supa Saiya-Jin Tullece wrote: Wow, she hasn't changed at all.
You can't expect much out of her, she is Chris Sabat's grandmother after all
John Burgmeier's MOTHER actually, but anyway. I'm not gonna lie, I'm disappointed in the direction on her Freeza lines. I really don't mind her voice for the character as much as most people do, but I'm not so cool with their emphasis on the wrong words so many times. Guh, whatever.

Also okay cool, so then that IS correct. For some reason I remember seeing the "I am the hope of the universe blah blah blah" stuff subtitled to the Japanese version at some point. On that same note, I'm actually kinda surprised that Freeza's speech at the end was pretty close to the original with "because -I- am mighty...and you...are NOT."

Peabo

Post by Peabo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:28 pm

I will admit that Sean actually does a pretty good job after watching that YouTube vid. Shame he sucked in the anime ;) Maybe it's also to do with the more accurate translation, instead of that completely fabricated speech that Funi cooked up.

SonGokuGT
I Live Here

Post by SonGokuGT » Fri Jun 13, 2008 2:08 pm

SON Goku!?
*Tears up* *sniff*
Schemmel did an outstanding job! My jaw hit the floor! That clip alone has allocated 60 of my US Dollars to buying Burst Limit... XD

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Fri Jun 13, 2008 3:22 pm

Havn't read any post's about this so I thought I'd let you know about it myself.

Comcast On Demand is hosting the Dragonball Z: Burst Limit high quality trailer under: The Cutting Edge> G4 videogame tv> Game Invasion> Xbox 360> Dragonball Z Burst.

You have to have a subsciption to thechannel G4 (136) to watch the video but the channel comes with most packages.

Lavender Saiyan
Regular

Post by Lavender Saiyan » Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:01 pm

Kirbopher wrote:John Burgmeier's MOTHER actually, but anyway. I'm not gonna lie, I'm disappointed in the direction on her Freeza lines. I really don't mind her voice for the character as much as most people do, but I'm not so cool with their emphasis on the wrong words so many times. Guh, whatever.
That's actually what I thought. I felt her acting was very very off in this game. Normally I njoy hearing how she delivers lines as the games go on (As with each character). But Ms. Young just seemed very off.
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
*Dodges rocks*

Artificial Human #887
Beyond Newbie

Post by Artificial Human #887 » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:03 pm

Ungh.

I picked this up last night, and I just started playing a little while ago, and I must say, I'm in love. I knew the imagery was going to be great, but I love the gameplay itself. It's about time there's a 360 game that can take me away from mindless hours of Halo.

I've just made it through the Saiyan Saga, with all Z's on Normal. I'm really, really impressed with Sean Schemmel's performance. I feel like every gripe I've ever had with his portrayal of Goku (which, unlike many here, I've always taken a liking to him!)... I'm in a state of glorious shock after hearing "Kaioken" pronounced CORRECTLY! I couldn't believe my ears, but wow. I'm supposed to go out tonight and all I want to do is play this game. :? 10 achievements in an hour is a lot for me, ha.
Last edited by Artificial Human #887 on Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aly. Professional nerd. [url=http://vegetas.livejournal.com]vegetas@livejournal[/url]

DB Cosplay 2009: The Great Saiyaman

Kid Trunks
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kid Trunks » Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:35 pm

Peabo wrote:I will admit that Sean actually does a pretty good job after watching that YouTube vid. Shame he sucked in the anime ;)
Whats that "wink" about? Oh well, I love Schemmel as Goku. But yeah, he's even better in this.

Brad Redfield
Regular

Post by Brad Redfield » Fri Jun 13, 2008 11:31 pm

Well, I rented the game for the 360. I can't say I'm all that impressed, sadly. :(

It has some pretty visuals but I just can't get into it. Maybe I need to play it some more or something.

Big Momma
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Big Momma » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:21 am

Brad Redfield wrote: Maybe I need to play it some more or something.
Yeah, I'd try that. The same thing happened when I started playing Kingdom Hearts, Shadow of the Colossus, and MGS3.
Rocketman(In response to a post about Pandora's Box) wrote: I sat here for ten damn minutes wondering what the hell God of War had to do with any of this.
Insertclevername wrote:I plan to lose my virginity to Dragon Box 2.
Youtube | Art/Animation Blog

EvilGamerX
Beyond Newbie

Post by EvilGamerX » Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:36 am

Personally, I like this game a lot more that the Budokai and Sparking series. I do wish they would stop using dubtitles for the script though when I use Japanese audio.
- Life is a game, play it!

Captain Awesome
Patreon Supporter

Post by Captain Awesome » Sat Jun 14, 2008 4:43 am

Adey wrote: Hah, I remember they "translated" one of Vegeta's angry remarks to "You Aunt Sallies"

Haha!, I completely forgot about that, it's been that long since I've played my copy of Budokai 1, man it was awesome that we got the Japanese voices instead of the dub cast.

I screamed in fanboy glee when Super DBZ followed suit.

Daburcor
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daburcor » Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:59 am

EvilGamerX wrote:Personally, I like this game a lot more that the Budokai and Sparking series. I do wish they would stop using dubtitles for the script though when I use Japanese audio.
Couldn't have said it better myself. *Cue Meat Loaf*
[url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv5j_vmyOaQ]There's many things I'll never know for sure...[/url]

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Sat Jun 14, 2008 10:58 am

I was in a store today purchasing SF Alpha 3 Max and God Hand and overhead someone talking about Burst Limit to his friend. He was saying it was good, yadda yadda, but that two days after buying it he traded it in, because it was just too short...

Uh, you have friends so you can have multiplayer, not to mention, I'm sure the game has some depth to its features, and you just spent up to £40 on it...

Gamers today. o_o