A cover art thread

Discussion of all things related to Dragon Ball video games (console and portable games, arcade versions, etc.) from the entire franchise's history.

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

A cover art thread

Post by DominatorLost » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:13 am

Seeing how artwork is a big part of DB, I wanted to see what people thought of any of the games and the cover art used for them.

Ultimate Battle 22
Simplistically nice, but perhaps too simplistic, I don't really like the lack of divide between SS3 and SS1 Goku, seems kinda rushed. The re-release by Atari features much better artwork, but that one just lies about the game's overall quality and it's pretty inacurrate (some characters on it aren't in the game) and furthermore, it's from a DBZ album cover, so no points for creativity there Atari.

The Great Dragon Ball Legends
There's the Sega Saturn version featuring Goku in Super Saiyan, but as I own the PlayStation version, I'll talk about that one. It's nice, a cheerful Goku standing amid the four most notable villains representing their story arcs from the stories, it sets the mood for the game that this is going to go from the Saiyan to Buu saga, and I find base-form Goku just rounds up the series better than him being in Super Saiyan.

Final Bout
I love and dislike this artwork; it's a badass pic of GT Goku, and just that, it works. Then again, it's so simple it's lazy, but I guess the whole game was lazily-made. Hm, I like it better than the re-release art by Atari though.

Budokai
Ack! The European version is godawful! Looking like something from those terrible AB Groupe DVDs, this features the most stock image of Goku ever amongst a poor, inconsistent selection of characters below him; some have been pulled from screenshots, some are of the game's art, and some of the characters aren't even in the game! The Japanese art still is the best piece I've ever seen done for a Dragon Ball product, and the American art? Eh, it doesn't catch my attention, that's all.

Budokai 2
Europe did a much better job at this one, it certainly looks cool, if not a little dark, but the American one wins over it for that cool holographic print, though I still think the European one got better artwork. Of course, both are outdone by the fantastic Japanese job, which is just as good, if not better, than the prequel's artwork.

Budokai 3
Goku's fist... Bleh, shoddy, while the Japanese one is so much obviously better, I still don't like it as much. The European one has the most appeal for me, even though it's not great by any stretch of imagination.

Budokai Tenkaichi/Sparking!
I like the US art here, even though it looks way too dark and serious, I'm not sure if I like the Japanese one too much. I find all of the latter's art just looked the same after the first installment, so I don't really care for those. My only comment is the US BT2 one, which has the most drab, barely-detailed depiction of Mirai Trunks ever. I hear the Wii one looks better, actually featuring details, but it doesn't seem so much better.

Shin Budokai
I like it, sells the game with the fact it's got Janemba and Goku going head-to-head with him as always with villains. The US art? Naked Goku with Broli's eyes in the background, it sucks surprisingly.

Shin Budokai 2
The Japanese art is fantastic, I've always wanted to see Mirai Gohan on something, with Trunks and Goku topping it off nicely. The US one is much better than the last, but I really hate the way that in-house artist for Atari handles the faces.

Those are all at the top of my head, even though there's plenty of other games, hoping to see all your opinions on whichever.

Velasa
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Velasa » Fri Jun 06, 2008 4:48 am

> > Some refrences for this would be pretty cool, and make for simpler comparisons. Good idea though.
[quote="Rocketman"]Rocketman is to ChiChi as Velasa is to _______.

A. ChiChi
B. Piccolo
C. Goku
D. Bulma[/quote]

Kula
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Kula » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:53 am

I'll probably add to this if I get the time.
Last edited by Kula on Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:55 am

Cool, thanks for sharing that, I like the German B2 cover.

Shenron
Beyond Newbie

Post by Shenron » Fri Jun 06, 2008 12:26 pm

A little precision about DBZ Legends : the cover of the PAL Saturn version is the same than the PSX One :

[url=http://profile.mygamercard.net/Blue+Shenron][img]http://card.mygamercard.net/gbar/Blue+Shenron.gif[/img][/url]
[url=http://vanesshenron.deviantart.com/]Deviantart[/url]

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:01 pm

Nice Budokai covers, UK!
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

NeptuneKai
I Live Here

Post by NeptuneKai » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:46 pm

I think someone in the fine UK mistook Spopovich as Nappa. :lol:
Aro started to laugh. “Ha, ha, ha,” he chuckled.- Actual quote from Twilight

DominatorLost
Beyond Newbie

Post by DominatorLost » Fri Jun 06, 2008 2:59 pm

NeptuneKai wrote:I think someone in the fine UK mistook Spopovich as Nappa. :lol:
And Majin Buu on the back cover? lol

Anonymous Friend

Post by Anonymous Friend » Fri Jun 06, 2008 6:19 pm

bkev wrote:Nice Budokai covers, UK!
Definitely. The GC Budokai, Budokai 2, and Budokai 3: Collectors are really something.

The Japanese ones seem to activate something in my memory and I hear sounds when lookings at them. Whether it's the aura sound with Budokai 1, or the "HAAAAA!!!!" screams with 2 and 3 as the characters are getting ready to attach. Although not so much with Sparking. I can only remember the Budokai Tenkaichi 2 cover not the Neo one. And for some reason I can't remember what Budokai Tenkaichi 3's cover looks like right now and that's the most recent one.
Playstation Network ID/Xbox Gamer Tag: AnonymousFriend
Wii FriendCode: 1003 3740 6652 4063

Leotaku
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Leotaku » Fri Jun 06, 2008 7:10 pm

There are some more cover images here. It's an unfinished section of this site. I remember first seeing it a long time ago in New Section Previews.
http://www.daizex.com/guides/games/

The S
I Live Here

Post by The S » Fri Jun 06, 2008 8:59 pm

DominatorLost wrote:
NeptuneKai wrote:I think someone in the fine UK mistook Spopovich as Nappa. :lol:
And Majin Buu on the back cover? lol
It's the same thing with TMNT: Mutant Melee. It features Stonebiter on the cover, but he's nowhere in the game. I think they confused him for Monster.
Battle High 2, starring Kyle Hebert as well as myself, has been released on Xbox 360, OUYA, PC, Linux, Mac, and Xbox One!

Herms
Kanzenshuu Admin Emeritus

Post by Herms » Fri Jun 06, 2008 9:36 pm

Anonymous Friend wrote: I can only remember the Budokai Tenkaichi 2 cover not the Neo one. And for some reason I can't remember what Budokai Tenkaichi 3's cover looks like right now and that's the most recent one.
It was the same as the Sparking! Meteor cover, and looked incredibly similiar to the cover for Sparking! Neo: basically just the Buu-era cast doing posses, with bright colors and a bright green background.

Myself, I always liked the cover for Legend of Goku II.
Kanzenshuu: Is that place still around?
Sometimes, I tweet things
We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason.

Zuhalter2000
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zuhalter2000 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:31 am

Kula wrote:<images snipped by administrator>
Damnit! Why does the USA get the worst cover art!?
[b]*Supporter of the Remastered Season Sets*[/b]
[quote="Tenshinhan (Ocean Dub)"]This three-eyed cowboy is going for one last ride![/quote]
[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Zuhalter2000[/url]

Kunzait_83
I Live Here

Post by Kunzait_83 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 12:08 pm

b
Last edited by Kunzait_83 on Mon May 02, 2011 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
http://80s90sdragonballart.tumblr.com/

Kunzait's Wuxia Thread
Journey to the West, chapter 26 wrote:The strong man will meet someone stronger still:
Come to naught at last he surely will!
Zephyr wrote:And that's to say nothing of how pretty much impossible it is to capture what made the original run of the series so great. I'm in the generation of fans that started with Toonami, so I totally empathize with the feeling of having "missed the party", experiencing disappointment, and wanting to experience it myself. But I can't, that's how life is. Time is a bitch. The party is over. Kageyama, Kikuchi, and Maeda are off the sauce now; Yanami almost OD'd; Yamamoto got arrested; Toriyama's not going to light trash cans on fire and hang from the chandelier anymore. We can't get the band back together, and even if we could, everyone's either old, in poor health, or calmed way the fuck down. Best we're going to get, and are getting, is a party that's almost entirely devoid of the magic that made the original one so awesome that we even want more.
Kamiccolo9 wrote:It grinds my gears that people get "outraged" over any of this stuff. It's a fucking cartoon. If you are that determined to be angry about something, get off the internet and make a stand for something that actually matters.
Rocketman wrote:"Shonen" basically means "stupid sentimental shit" anyway, so it's ok to be anti-shonen.

Onikage725

Post by Onikage725 » Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:16 pm

And let's not forget the Shin Budokai covers. Love SSW2's though!
To show my appreciation, I'll only beat them half to death.

Akira
Regular

Post by Akira » Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:32 pm

The USA got the Special Edition/Collector's Edition of Budokai 3 under our "Greatest Hits" banner, and it sported the original Japanese artwork on the cover.

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:33 pm

Akira wrote:The USA got the Special Edition/Collector's Edition of Budokai 3 under our "Greatest Hits" banner, and it sported the original Japanese artwork on the cover.
That was one of the most single greatest moments in my Dragon Ball life. I just had to have it. :lol:
You must have faith in who you are.

SSJmole
Advanced Regular

Post by SSJmole » Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:01 pm

I think we (UK) got the best covers every time

Pain

Post by Pain » Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:55 pm

SSJmole wrote:
I think we (UK) got the best covers every time
Not for Budokai. That was the second worse.
Forum Occupation: Rebel/"The Spoiler"
Member #:2148
Post Rank: #33
Greatest Dragonball Successor: One Piece
Forum Role Model: SSj Kaboom

Bleach Title Of The Week: All Colour But the Black

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 pm

I found it interesting how (IMO) the UK's cover for the Collectors Edition of Budokai 3 was the worst cover of them all. It's definitely not something I'd want to collect! :)