Bruce Faulconer returning to compose the score for DBS?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Shaddy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: Bruce Faulconer returning to compose the score for DBS?

Post by Shaddy » Tue Feb 19, 2019 11:19 pm

Replacing soundtracks is a poor practice for any localization (hell, even Toei's own projects like Kai still annoy me), and the Faulconer Productions score is probably one of the worst ones in the series. Toei wouldn't be interested in replacing Sumitomo, and Funimation thankfully has outgrown the practice of trying to turn Dragon Ball into something it's not (mostly). If any previous OST returns for Super, it should be reusing the best Kikuchi tracks. Even then I don't really want that, I mostly just want Sumitomo to become more like Kikuchi.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 1:46 am

Honestly, with something like Super, I'm not opposed to a replacement score being done, as long as the original soundtrack is still an option, because IMO Super's soundtrack simply sucks, and I'd like to see what another composer could put together. And I know Chris Sabat has in the past said he's not opposed to replacement scores either, making particular note of the fact replacement scores can be rather good, and Japanese and American attitudes on scoring are somewhat different, so arguably a replacement score can be good thing in a localisation.

But...

These days, Funi at least nominally go with a fairly accurate/faithful approach to dubbing, replacement scores aren't really tolerated anymore, and even if a replacement score was done, it would never be Faulconer in a million years; that bridge was burned in like '03.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:36 am

The ship has long sailed on Funimation hiring composers to do replacement scores, and even if they were like 4K Media and still did it to this day they'd never ask Bruce to do it again because of their past he can't be trusted. I recall Geekdom had issues with him too so it seems the man hasn't changed and is still a control freak when it comes to royalties for music his studio composed.

I've always saw Sabat's comment as more of a last resort scenario, like if for some unforeseen legal reason Funimation couldn't acquire the original score, or if we had another Yamamoto-style music scandal and TOEI hired a really bad composer to do new music that Funimation didn't want to pay for, but the latter case is a long shot, I have little doubt because TOEI are the definitive license holders for the anime that they would want to respect their wishes and use whatever music they deem the official, legal score.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

saiyanhajime
Not-So-Newbie

Post by saiyanhajime » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:13 am

It won't happen. But I would be totally ok with it happening.

I like the old American only score a lot, but I don't like it any more or less than the original. Some tracks I really absolutely adore from both, others not so much.

I don't see an issue with changing the score for different localisations, honestly. Especially openings. I think the English versions of the Japanese openings are mostly terrible and a completely new song would have been a much better idea. Or just don't have words?

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:29 am

saiyanhajime wrote:I don't see an issue with changing the score for different localisations, honestly. Especially openings. I think the English versions of the Japanese openings are mostly terrible and a completely new song would have been a much better idea. Or just don't have words?
I think the only chance there is of Dragon Ball ever having replacement scores again will be when and if Ocean Kai is released on that upcoming Canadian cable channel and if it does well maybe The Final Chapters will get a score from Keenlyside and Mitchell for consistency.

Future Canadian dubs, like Super, if Ocean ever gets there could be a possibility. LBX had a replacement score for example, but its been a few years since that was released so Ocean may have also moved on from it now but we can't say for certain as they don't produce many dubs these days.

I'm not familiar with whether or not most international dubs keep the original openings and endings, but as far as I know they do. Canadian dubs are also the only way I see those being changed for the English speaking fans since Kai had its own theme.

Replacement scores in other language dubs are doubtful, as there is no precedent for it a non-English Dragon Ball dub. The only dubs that ever replaced music were English dubs.

I don't see it becoming a common practice anymore. Funimation have moved on, and haven't released a dub with a different score for well over a decade, so unless someone new takes over the company and changes their overall approach there's no chance.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Vegard Aune
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Vegard Aune » Wed Feb 20, 2019 10:38 am

Anime dubbing as a whole has moved past replacement scores. Literally the only example I can think of that still regularly does it is Pokémon, and even there, the latest movie kept everything except the ending theme song intact. I see absolutely no reason why FUNi would go back to changing the music at this point.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:08 pm

saiyanhajime wrote:I like the old American only score a lot
What the heck do you mean by that? The only US and/or Canadian replacement score used on a foreign dub was the Levy/Wasserman Saban score used for the first 53 episodes of the dubs of India (plus Tree of Might), though bits of the other scores might've come up in the form of OP and ED music.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:22 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:
saiyanhajime wrote:I don't see an issue with changing the score for different localisations, honestly. Especially openings. I think the English versions of the Japanese openings are mostly terrible and a completely new song would have been a much better idea. Or just don't have words?
I think the only chance there is of Dragon Ball ever having replacement scores again will be when and if Ocean Kai is released on that upcoming Canadian cable channel and if it does well maybe The Final Chapters will get a score from Keenlyside and Mitchell for consistency.

Future Canadian dubs, like Super, if Ocean ever gets there could be a possibility. LBX had a replacement score for example, but its been a few years since that was released so Ocean may have also moved on from it now but we can't say for certain as they don't produce many dubs these days.

I'm not familiar with whether or not most international dubs keep the original openings and endings, but as far as I know they do. Canadian dubs are also the only way I see those being changed for the English speaking fans since Kai had its own theme.

Replacement scores in other language dubs are doubtful, as there is no precedent for it a non-English Dragon Ball dub. The only dubs that ever replaced music were English dubs.

I don't see it becoming a common practice anymore. Funimation have moved on, and haven't released a dub with a different score for well over a decade, so unless someone new takes over the company and changes their overall approach there's no chance.
Well, I kept asking you guys, could Faulconer just have his scores toned down.
It's My Boy, your Boy, his Boy! ~OSW Review HD

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Feb 20, 2019 4:50 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:

Well, I kept asking you guys, could Faulconer just have his scores toned down.
No, Funimation don't use replacement scores in anime anymore, period. It doesn't matter if the music is toned down, its still a replacement score so it would go against their current dubbing practices. These days its the original Japanese score or nothing.

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:14 pm

Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:No, Funimation don't use replacement scores in anime anymore, period. It doesn't matter if the music is toned down, its still a replacement score so it would go against their current dubbing practices. These days its the original Japanese score or nothing.
Yep. They don't even dub the OP/EDs of Dragon Ball series as much as they did back then on Dragon Ball Kai. The OP/ED of Kai TFC were just as is which was supposedly in English but who the hell knew what he was singing, all I remember is "Fight It Out! Twister Mon! Let's do it again!".

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:34 pm

JohnnyCashKami wrote:
Dragon Ball Ireland wrote:No, Funimation don't use replacement scores in anime anymore, period. It doesn't matter if the music is toned down, its still a replacement score so it would go against their current dubbing practices. These days its the original Japanese score or nothing.
Yep. They don't even dub the OP/EDs of Dragon Ball series as much as they did back then on Dragon Ball Kai. The OP/ED of Kai TFC were just as is which was supposedly in English but who the hell knew what he was singing, all I remember is "Fight It Out! Twister Mon! Let's do it again!".
Most of this is correct, but it's also true that they've dubbed every song in Super barring the first opening so far.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Dragon Ball Gus
Advanced Regular

Post by Dragon Ball Gus » Fri Feb 22, 2019 1:25 pm

Why's this even a question at this point?
Caulifla best girl! :)

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Fri Feb 22, 2019 6:14 pm

Dragon Ball Gus wrote:Why's this even a question at this point?
Cause.

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Kakacarrottop » Sat Feb 23, 2019 6:49 am

Vegard Aune wrote:Anime dubbing as a whole has moved past replacement scores. Literally the only example I can think of that still regularly does it is Pokémon, and even there, the latest movie kept everything except the ending theme song intact. I see absolutely no reason why FUNi would go back to changing the music at this point.
I believe there will always be outlier companies. Just two years ago Saban Brands were using replacement music for their Glitter Force and Digimon dubs, although they went the way of 4kids last year
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Feb 23, 2019 10:15 am

Kakacarrottop wrote:
Vegard Aune wrote:Anime dubbing as a whole has moved past replacement scores. Literally the only example I can think of that still regularly does it is Pokémon, and even there, the latest movie kept everything except the ending theme song intact. I see absolutely no reason why FUNi would go back to changing the music at this point.
I believe there will always be outlier companies. Just two years ago Saban Brands were using replacement music for their Glitter Force and Digimon dubs, although they went the way of 4kids last year
Didn't Funimation at one point try to dub Sonic X before 4Kids beat them to the punch.

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:05 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote:
Didn't Funimation at one point try to dub Sonic X before 4Kids beat them to the punch.
Never heard that one before. Funimation did, however, have their eyes set on One Piece even before 4Kids got it. That might be what you're thinking of.

"This sucks. Make more."

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:20 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
Young-Jah wrote:
Kakacarrottop wrote: I believe there will always be outlier companies. Just two years ago Saban Brands were using replacement music for their Glitter Force and Digimon dubs, although they went the way of 4kids last year
Never heard that one before. Funimation did, however, have their eyes set on One Piece even before 4Kids got it. That might be what you're thinking of.
Sonic X man, look it up.

Shaddy

Post by Shaddy » Sat Feb 23, 2019 7:40 pm

He knows what Sonic X is, he's saying there's no record of Funimation ever having anything to do with it.

Young-Jah
Beyond Newbie

Post by Young-Jah » Sat Feb 23, 2019 8:58 pm

Shaddy wrote:He knows what Sonic X is, he's saying there's no record of Funimation ever having anything to do with it.
https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/ ... e-hedgehog

Valerius Dover

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Feb 23, 2019 11:19 pm

Young-Jah wrote:
Shaddy wrote:He knows what Sonic X is, he's saying there's no record of Funimation ever having anything to do with it.
https://www.funimation.com/forum/topic/ ... e-hedgehog
A little summary for those of us outside the US who can't access the site would be helpful, but this is getting off-topic anyway.

Not sure what else there is to say. Faulconer isn't coming back. Dragon Ball hasn't had a region based replacement score since Budokai Tenkaichi 3. Nobody besides 4KMedia or TPCI does those anymore.

"This sucks. Make more."