Rank your favorite composer

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TheKingOfKamehamehas
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Rank your favorite composer

Post by TheKingOfKamehamehas » Sun Nov 16, 2014 6:45 pm

We shit on Yamamoto because he didn't just plagiarize one track, he plagiarized 99% of his tracks and he deserves to get fired. He is a damn good composer if you ignore his plagiarizing though because he makes the songs sound better then they actually are and I still kind of like to buy his tracks.... When did Kikuchi ever plagiarize anyways?

My List:
1. Kikuchi
2. Takaki
3. BT2
4. Tokunaga
5.Suitomo
6. RB
7. Nathan Johnson
8.BT3
9.Faulconer
10.Yamamoto
11. Levi (Never was the most fond of his tracks)
JacobYBM wrote:Art is subjective but boobies are forever.

FortuneSSJ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by FortuneSSJ » Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:19 pm

1- Shunsuke kikuchi.
The best one! His sountrack is the series essence. DB/DBZ have the most beautiful sountrack I ever heard thanks to him.

2- Akihito Tokunaga
A great substitute for master Kikuchi. I remember usually saying when I was a kid "Dragon Ball always had beautiful sountracks." Seriously this guy should still be composing for the series. Talented guy. What a shame.

3- Norihito Sumitomo
Unfortunately doesn't compare to the other two, but is still better than Yamamoto. He did a great job for Battle of Gods and some new Kai soundtracks are neat. Preview sountrack, Gohan turning ssj2 for Kibito and Vegeta sacrifice. That disco party soundtrack though is one of worst things I ever heard in this series.

4- Kenji Yamamoto
The black sheep. I like 3/4 sountracks of him at best. Unlike the other three, not even a good preview sountrack he could do.
This guy was great for the videogames (Budokai soundtracks are my favourite) but bad for the anime. I don't want to hear it again.
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Sun Nov 16, 2014 10:45 pm

After watching a few episodes of the Frieza and Cell sagas of the Japanese version, I have to say, I now respect Kikuchi's work more and see why people put Kikuchi on such a higher pedestal. For SOME fighting scenes, Kikuchi did a good job putting more intensity into the trumpets and drums like Goku fighting 19 and Frieza beating the hell out of Vegeta.

But..I still think most of Kikuchi's songs sound overly generic, I still prefer all the other composers over him, I still think his music only fits mostly for the adventure, AND still think that he shouldn't have been used for the JP movies and games. I still think all of this, but now I like and respect Kikuchi's Z work(..to a degree) ,so I apologize for disrespecting his work a lot.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:14 am

EXBadguy wrote:After watching a few episodes of the Freeza and Cell sagas of the Japanese version, I have to say, I now respect Kikuchi's work more and see why people put Kikuchi on such a higher pedestal. For SOME fighting scenes, Kikuchi did a good job putting more intensity into the trumpets and drums like Goku fighting 19 and Freeza beating the hell out of Vegeta.

But..I still think most of Kikuchi's songs sound overly generic, I still prefer all the other composers over him, I still think his music only fits mostly for the adventure, AND still think that he shouldn't have been used for the JP movies and games. I still think all of this, but now I like and respect Kikuchi's Z work(..to a degree) ,so I apologize for disrespecting his work a lot.
Your apologies are sincerely taken and God bless you EXBadguy, you should now meditate under Bodhi tree and let all the love of Gods shine upon you.
Kikuchi is my most (or rather only) favorite composer for Dragon Ball, so I respect you for your opinion. Thank you.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:52 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:This list is very flawed (...)
dbboxkaifan wrote:By the way, Tenkaichi 2's Team is far better than Kishi so there's no reason for them to be on the 9th they should actually be between the 4th or 5th place.
I guess that the topic is called “Rank your favorite composer”, not “Rank dboxkaifan's favorite composer”.
dbboxkaifan wrote:(...) because some of these Dragon Ball composers have committed plagiarism and that's not only Yamamoto but Kikuchi (...)
When?
dbboxkaifan wrote:Faulconer's Super Boo Theme is pretty much a rip-off from System of a Down's Marmalade but people still love it and disregard that they plagiarised due to being a great track as well as Kikuchi's Bond-fied tracks.

Musicians are bound to copy from each other because it ends up having similarities just like Nintendo X Sega X Sony X Microsoft copying each others' ideas to improve on something the other company had before.
Change “Bond” with “the 60's style” and “plagiarism” with “inspiration”.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:36 am

You completely missed the point it wasn't about my favourite composers but that he only brought up plagiarism for one of the many DB musicians, I don't know how you didn't see that as it was so obvious.

When Yamamoto does it it's plagiarism but then Faulconer and Kikuchi it's 'inspiration'.

System of a Down - Marmalade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYonN5N40XE (1997)
Faulconer Productions - Super Boo Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHtuw_xtcc (2003)

I'm not even going to go on about this any more since I enjoy music from every musician and as such this conversation doesn't really concern me.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Nov 17, 2014 7:47 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:You completely missed the point it wasn't about my favourite composers but that he only brought up plagiarism for one of the many DB musicians, I don't know how you didn't see that as it was so obvious.
The guy presented his list of composers and you said that it's flawed. It's his opinion, based on his taste and experience. That was the point of my comment.
dbboxkaifan wrote:When Yamamoto does it it's plagiarism but then Faulconer and Kikuchi it's 'inspiration'.

System of a Down - Marmalade: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYonN5N40XE (1997)
Faulconer Productions - Super Boo Theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHtuw_xtcc (2003)
I asked about Kikuchi.
dbboxkaifan wrote:I'm not even going to go on about this any more since I enjoy music from every musician and as such this conversation doesn't really concern me.
So why did you start it?

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:11 am

The reply was meant for LB not you besides I'm not going to even reply to you again as you're just troll-baiting me whether it's here or elsewhere.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:20 am

I'll only list the composers that were involved with the anime in Japan, so dub & video game composers are ignored.

#1 Shunsuke Kikuchi [DB, DBZ, DBKai] (No need to say why)
#2 Kenji Yamamoto [DBKai] (I don't care about the plagiarism)
#3 Norihito Sumitomo [DBZ: BoG, DBKai] (Mainly for BoG, haven't heard anything great in Kai yet)
#4 Akihito Tokunaga [DBGT, DB 10th Anniversary] & Hiroshi Takaki [DB: PtEtSS, EoB, UB cutscenes] (Tie, I like them the same)
#5 <The guy that composed DBZ: PtEtS, what's his name?>
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Mon Nov 17, 2014 9:56 am

dbboxkaifan wrote:The reply was meant for LB not you besides I'm not going to even reply to you again as you're just troll-baiting me whether it's here or elsewhere.
- The composer committed plagiarism!
- When? Which song?
- Stop trolling meeeeeee!!!1111 one one one

I only wanted you to give me some example. Maybe you're right?

My Dragon Ball composers rank looks like this:

1. Shunsuke Kikuchi
2. Akihito Tokunaga

I tried to watch DBZ with other composers (Yamamoto, Faulconer, Sumitomo) but it didn't work for me. As a non-Dragon Ball composers, I would rank them:

1. Kenji Yamamoto (after checking a couple of music pieces composed for Kai, I wanted to hear more, but didn't impress me much)
2. Faulconer Productions (I like to listen to some of the tracks, but it's impossible for me to relate them with Dragon Ball Z)
3. Norihito Sumitomo (after watching the first episode of Kai 2.0, the music (and other things) didn't convince me to watch another episode)

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:05 am

If you wanted examples then you should've been respectful instead of being arrogant and mocking me.
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:07 am

Enough with your back-and-forths. Either contribute to the discussion at hand, providing examples and actual content, or keep your thoughts to yourself.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:18 am

VegettoEX wrote:Enough with your back-and-forths. Either contribute to the discussion at hand, providing examples and actual content, or keep your thoughts to yourself.
He keeps on bashing me and yet I'm the culprit? Huh, so much for fairness.
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
dbboxkaifan wrote:That's just asking too much because Toei would never spend that whole lot of time and money for a series that's 25-30 years old and they know it damn well that the customers will buy it with inferior quality (Remastered & DNR'd by Q-TEC). But hey, one can dream.
That's why I described them as:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:SCI-FI VERSION
MORE RATIONAL BUT STILL IMPOSSIBLE VERSION
THEORETICALLY POSSIBLE BUT PRACTICALLY IMPOSSIBLE VERSION
Should I make the font bigger? :D Did you read the last line of my post?
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:If something is impossible or too expensive - they should leave it as it is.
Something tells me that this is the main reason why Toei does not plan to release DB/DBZ on Blu-ray...
I guess that the topic is called “Rank your favorite composer”, not “Rank dboxkaifan's favorite composer”.
Yeah this attitude is perfectly acceptable, isn't it, Vegetto?
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:23 am

"Your" is also a plural word. I'm referring to the both of you.

Being indignant about your free warnings doesn't exactly set you up for less actual account strikes in the immediate future.

Enough is enough. Thoroughly done with your nonsense at this point.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

InfernalVegito
Advanced Regular

Post by InfernalVegito » Mon Nov 17, 2014 12:30 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:My Dragon Ball composers rank looks like this:
1. Shunsuke Kikuchi
2. Akihito Tokunaga
Same for me. Anything by them just exudes DRAGON BALL to me no matter what.

I like some bits and cues I've heard from the other composers but can't form an opinion on their work yet because I haven't watched the series with their music in its entirety yet.
BT3 off meds | The final fight

Ah, the Alpha and the Omega. As all life was created from Chaos...so shall it be DESTROYED!!!

The wails of machines | Singing cold harmony | Shifting air upward | Entranced by the breeze | Light pours like blood | Into a cosmic sea | Of stars crystallized | In a frozen symphony

Vegetto kicking you into orbit theme

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:54 am

My list would have to be

1. Shunsuke Kikuchi
His music just screams Dragon Ball to me. I even like it with it's repetitive placement in Kai. Hell, I even enjoy Kai more with Kikuchi's soundtrack more than I ever have with Yamamoto's soundtrack.

2. Akihito Tokunaga
I think his music fits DBGT perfectly, and in my opinion, is one the best things about GT.

3. Norihito Sumitomo
I think his music from Battle of Gods was awesome. Although I think his Kai is also pretty good, it seems to me like he was still figuring out how to give his tracks that Dragon Ball feel, which in my opinion, he sometimes just didn't catch it, and other times he was going in the right direction, but it still wasn't completely there.

4. BT2 Team
Awesome soundtrack. Can't say anymore then that really. Just plain Awesome.

5. BT3 Composer
I actually think he has made some awesome tracks. Overture, Survive, Menace and Edge of Spirit are some of my favorites.

6. Hiroshi Takaki
I think his music in Ultimate Tenkaichi was pretty good. His soundtrack of EoB was also enjoyable

7. Kenji Yamamoto
While I think his Budokai soundtrack was pretty awesome, his Kai work seemed a little bland to me. When I first started watching Kai, his music just seemed like it's only purpose was to be there. When the Artifcial Human arc started his music got a lot better.

8. Shuki levy
The very first score I was exposed to. I have kinda mixed feelings over this. The tracks do sound good, but from what I can remember, his score sometimes sounded very dark, which isn't really Dragon Ball material.

9. Bruce Faulconer
I do not like this score. Not at all. Maybe for 3 of 4 tracks but that's it. Dragon Ball shouldn't have this hardcore or metal or whatever the hell it' supposed to be kind of music.

10. Nathan Johnson
Never liked it, never will.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:41 pm

1) Faulconer- definitely in the minority here. I feel Kikuchi is perfect for DB, but when it comes to Z, Faulconer is amazing. The wall-to-wall may get annoying at times but I overall feel it fits very well.

2) Yamamoto (Games)- plagiarized or not his tracks are amazing.

3) Kikuchi- perfect for original DB. Wouldn't want anybody else composing for it

4) Tokunaga- love this for GT. Especially the Dan Dan renditions.

5) BT2/BT3- few great tracks from each. Pretty equal in my opinion.

6) Yamamoto (Anime)- not many memorable tracks and the ones that did play, played A LOT. At least from what I remember.

7) Johnson- really unmemorable so I can't say much.

8.) Levy/Menza- both extremely unfitting and just not good tracks to me: Menza did have the opening for the Season Sets which is a huge plus for me.

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:29 pm

I'm only familiar with three: Faulconer Productions, Kikuchi, and Yamamoto. From best to worst, imo:

1. Faulconer Productions (love it) - This one gets a lot of hate, and for good reason: it never knows when to shut up. Another issue is that rather than accompanying the mood of a scene, it actually changes the tone at times to make things super "hardcore." I can see that. The reason it's my favorite is pure preference. This is probably the only soundtrack in anime history that I listen to a lot outside the series. There's just so many cool themes. And yes, it does indeed make DBZ more "badass" for me, which is a plus. So many transformations, rampages, and battles were just completely and utterly amplified in badassery thanks to this soundtrack. I don't care if it was the creator's intention for certain scenes to come off a certain way or not as long as it keeps me entertained. Gohan vs Cell is the ultimate example of how this music just MADE the battle, rather than set a mood (which to me is a good thing, and to many others is godawful):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k7zKh0ffGiI

2. Yamamoto (love it) - Yeah, he's a plagiarizing dirtbag, basically, but my god does he have some good taste in music. I thought for a second I actually enjoyed some of Kikuchi's themes until I learned the ones I like (e.g. Battle Point Unlimited) were actually "made" by this guy. I have to say, I loved the first half of Kai with this guy's music--probably more than the original funimation dub. Other gems include his work in Budokai games, such as that one Namek theme, which is basically a Stratovarius song (Hunting High and Low).

3. Kikuchi (hate it) - I hate his music. I mean, I just really can't stand it. I don't care how well it "fits" the scenes; it's boring. It makes the series a complete and utter bore to me. Usually I'm indifferent towards BGM in games and anime, as they don't usually deter from the experience, but this soundtrack actually makes me dislike DBZ, despite being a fan of the manga as well. It just seems so dated, like it belongs to a 60s martial arts movie. And I know that's what they were going for, especially for DB, but imo, it just doesn't fit DBZ's over-the-top action. When they replaced Yamamoto's soundtrack with his, I stopped watching Kai. It's not spite...I just really, really detest this music in every way.
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:37 pm

fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm only familiar with three: Faulconer Productions, Kikuchi, and Yamamoto. From best to worst, imo:
If you're only familiar with these, then what did you do for the parts of Z Faulconer didn't score? And GT if you've seen it? :?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

fadeddreams5
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by fadeddreams5 » Tue Nov 25, 2014 3:40 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:
fadeddreams5 wrote:I'm only familiar with three: Faulconer Productions, Kikuchi, and Yamamoto. From best to worst, imo:
If you're only familiar with these, then what did you do for the parts of Z Faulconer didn't score? And GT if you've seen it? :?
I mean, I'm only familiar with those composers. I don't know who makes those other themes. xD
"Dragon Ball once became a thing of the past to me, but after that, I got angry about the live action movie, re-wrote an entire movie script, and now I'm complaining about the quality of the new TV anime. It seems Dragon Ball has grown on me so much that I can't leave it alone." - Akira Toriyama on Dragon Ball Super