General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Post by KBABZ » Sat Sep 16, 2017 11:00 pm

Shiyonasan wrote:
KBABZ wrote:I've always wanted to know what the base for The Braveheart Challenges the Strong was, as that's my favourite of the Kai stuff.
I've heard some people compare it to the Buoy Base Galaxy music from Super Mario Galaxy. I can hear some similarities between those two, but not enough to definitively say that The Braveheart Challenges the Strong came specifically from that song.
Huh, never heard that one, and I've played Galaxy to death and back. Let's see...

They sound somewhat similar yeah, but I wouldn't say Braveheart is a knock-off. At least from my limited experience, Yamamoto tends to rip off the "whole spiel" about a particular portion of a song and then changes the notes a bit, and I just don't get the feel of Braveheart in Buoy Base Galaxy.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Oct 25, 2017 2:09 am

Yamamoto was not involved in any way with Dragon Soul.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm

Think I might have found another one, if it hasn't been already. The track "Transient Peace" has the same three-note backing as the Credits music for A Link to the Past.

Credits - Koji Kondo
Transient Peace - Kenji Yamamoto

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Technically not Yamamoto as he was only the arranger on this, but "WARNING OF DANGER" is a shameful rip off of "Psychiatric" by Mylène Farmer.

WARNING OF DANGER - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JQ7m7VStM

Psychiatric - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5nc3NXEkE

Chiho Kiyooka is credited as the composer, who also composed Cha-La Head-Cha-La, Unmei no Hi, and Mind Power Ki.

This is literally a 100% copy, probably the most blatant I have seen yet. I will say this though, on songs where Yamamto gets composer credit, he at least generally changes notes around, time signatures, keys, etc and the end result is usually something that sounds pretty distinct from the original. But this is just blatant theft.

Also, nice to see my thread still around after 8 years. :)

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:50 am

Big Boss wrote:nice to see my thread still around after 8 years. :)
It's really cool! It's nice knowing what a lot of them art.

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:06 pm

With how much plagiarism he did over all those years, he and Toei are lucky it all ended on just Yamamoto's removal.
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 5:17 pm

I've often said that if Yamamoto had stuck to arranging, and didn't move on to composing, he wouldn't be fired. He'd be working on Dragon Ball Super and the latest Dragon Ball movies.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 6:04 am

Big Boss wrote:Technically not Yamamoto as he was only the arranger on this, but "WARNING OF DANGER" is a shameful rip off of "Psychiatric" by Mylène Farmer.

WARNING OF DANGER - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9JQ7m7VStM

Psychiatric - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nz5nc3NXEkE

Chiho Kiyooka is credited as the composer, who also composed Cha-La Head-Cha-La, Unmei no Hi, and Mind Power Ki.

This is literally a 100% copy, probably the most blatant I have seen yet. I will say this though, on songs where Yamamto gets composer credit, he at least generally changes notes around, time signatures, keys, etc and the end result is usually something that sounds pretty distinct from the original. But this is just blatant theft.

Well, the melody that is sung is the part composed by Kiyooka, which is nothing like Psychiatric. The plagiarism here is all in the arrangement. In this case, Yamamoto kept the instrumentation close to or the same as the original song, but changed the melody. It'd still probably count as plagiarism in court, tho. But I must say, he has quite the talent for improving upon others' songs. Warning of Danger is one of my favorite songs ever.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 pm

I've said it before, but Yamamoto is a world class arranger. :) The more I listen to his stuff, now with a musical background, the more I realize just how great he really was. His technical ability in the studio/behind the controls was far beyond anyone else who has worked on the series. He kind of reminds me of Trevor Horn, who funnily enough produced Propaganda's album 'A Secret Wish'. :)

SX10
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SX10 » Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:12 pm

Were "Heroic Face Off" & "One Hit to Victory" ever identified as plagiarised pieces? I love these tracks the most by far, just curious!
"Four eyes, ever had four black eyes?" -- Brian Drummond's Vegeta

https://youtu.be/5TW1njkk52Q -- Dragon Ball Sheep

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Tue Oct 16, 2018 1:09 pm

SX10 wrote:Were "Heroic Face Off" & "One Hit to Victory" ever identified as plagiarised pieces? I love these tracks the most by far, just curious!
I've never seen any claims against Heroic Face Off (I've used the search function here and checked YouTube comments), but I've seen people say that One Hit To Victory uses a part from the Terminator 3 soundtrack. Probably borderline for that one.

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sat Oct 27, 2018 11:27 am

So I was listening to some of Yamamoto's tracks in Yu Yu Hakusho and came across this cool instrumental that he did and noticed straight away that he reused some of the elements of this track for both Cell's theme and Vegeta's theme in Butoden 2! The sound effect right at the beginning (the PSHHHHHHHHHHH sound) and the 'cricket chirping' as I call it were both recycled in Cell's Theme, and the police siren along with the 'Zlaaaaaaaaaaa' and 'Here we go' voice samples were reused in Vegeta's Theme. :)

And as a cool bonus (I'm sure most people are aware of this one), he also rearranged a song he composed for YYH for the UB22 OST. Eye to Eye > Royal Guard. :)

JohnnyCashKami
Temporarily Banned

Post by JohnnyCashKami » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:37 pm

What are you getting at here? It just seems like a whole bunch of words to say "the Xenoverse demo had old stuff"... which, yes, is true I suppose? This seems to be an issue with a lot of your posts: lots of words that don't really say anything.
Don't suppose. It is true. The Xenovese Beta featured a wealth of Yamamoto BGMs (almost 20) though some of them were re-used tunes from Burst Limit and whatnot, Mike.

The difference between Plagiarism and Sampling:
Sampling is the taking of a sample or samples. Plagiarism, however, is the practice of taking someone else’s work or ideas and passing them off as one’s own.

- https://www.obamaeagle.org/all-posts/to ... plagarism/
Where am I getting with this? Kenji Yamamoto is far from the only one who ever plagiarized another musician but he's pretty much the only one who gets all the shit on the DB fanbases. Faulconer Productions did the same thing with the Super Boo Theme but I guess in that case it was "sampling" somehow.

I'm not trying to defend Yamamoto because what he did all these years was downright a daylight robbery but if you want to be fair, then don't just tackle one thief. Try to get as many as possible.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Wed Nov 07, 2018 1:40 pm

You're still just saying lots of words that have absolutely no connective tissue and ultimately say nothing. What does the Xenoverse beta reusing old Yamamoto music have to do with sampling or plagiarism? Absolutely nothing, near as I can tell. Don't just say things to say things.

It's demonstrably untrue that other composers have not received plagiarism accusations; it's simply that Yamamoto constantly did it for decades, creating a larger base of comparisons, accusations, and therefore discussion.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dcx6723

Post by dcx6723 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:56 pm

Infinite World (Rock o' Motion) !
https://youtu.be/S1i5coU-0_Q?t=22

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:36 pm

dcx6723 wrote:Infinite World (Rock o' Motion) !
https://youtu.be/S1i5coU-0_Q?t=22
This goes more in the inspiration camp than rip-off.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 am

KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm Think I might have found another one, if it hasn't been already. The track "Transient Peace" has the same three-note backing as the Credits music for A Link to the Past.

Credits - Koji Kondo
Those links don't work. Here are some proper ones with the Zelda theme starting at the proper time.

Zelda: ALttP Credits Theme - Koji Kondo
Transient Peace - Kenji Yamamoto Koji Kondo

One thing I've heard that I will say... Yamamoto made the songs he plagiarized beautiful or more beautiful than the source material. Not to offend Kondo, but I like Yamamoto's rip-off better because of the piano.

KBABZ
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KBABZ » Thu Aug 29, 2019 5:24 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2019 1:39 am
KBABZ wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:38 pm Think I might have found another one, if it hasn't been already. The track "Transient Peace" has the same three-note backing as the Credits music for A Link to the Past.

Credits - Koji Kondo
Those links don't work. Here are some proper ones with the Zelda theme starting at the proper time.

Zelda: ALttP Credits Theme - Koji Kondo
Transient Peace - Kenji Yamamoto Koji Kondo

One thing I've heard that I will say... Yamamoto made the songs he plagiarized beautiful or more beautiful than the source material. Not to offend Kondo, but I like Yamamoto's rip-off better because of the piano.
Yeah. The irony is that while Yamamoto was a sham of a composer, he was damn good at covers and arrangements.

SsjRavi

Post by SsjRavi » Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:50 am

Big Boss wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:07 pm

Holy crap it is a complete copy, always really liked this song too...
"No. A sword is a weapon. Kenjutsu is the art of killing. Whatever pretty words you use to speak of it, this is its true nature. What Miss Kaoru says are the words of one who has never dirtied her hands. An idealistic joke. But, I like Miss Kaoru's idealism better than its true nature. If one can ask so much, I want the world to accept this joke as its true nature."
- Himura Kenshin

kaialone
Regular

Post by kaialone » Fri Oct 18, 2019 5:53 am

Discovered this one just today when relistening to the podcast.

I think this one was mentioned on this thread before, but the song was not named by the poster in question, and the youtube link is dead now, leaving people who don't know in the dark.

The song is the Movie 4 ending theme "「ヤ」なことは元気玉!!" (Ya Na Koto Ni Wa Genkidama!! )

Listen here:
https://youtu.be/hYZNAQ-oo48

Around the 43 second mark, there is a short bit that seems to be taken from Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water". This repeats a few more times in the song, too.

Listen to Smoke on the Water here:
https://youtu.be/zUwEIt9ez7M

I'm not that musically inclined though, so I can't tell much if there's some more subtle overlapping between them besides that one main riff.

Also, Yamamoto didn't compose this song himself, but he did arrange it.
-凯