General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kei17
I Live Here

Re: General Yamamoto Rip off thread

Post by kei17 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:17 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote:Ok, well, the Dragon Ball song...I can't find a Youtube video of it. :(

But a quick question as well, did Yamamoto work on any of the images songs? If so...

The beginning of "Hey you, crasher" from Hit 16 and the 4th Complete Song Collection set, sounds JUST LIKE the beginning of "Parasite" by KISS.

Here's the KISS song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk
Yeah they are very similar, but that song has nothing to do with Yamamoto. :roll:

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Dec 27, 2011 12:59 pm

kei17 wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:Ok, well, the Dragon Ball song...I can't find a Youtube video of it. :(

But a quick question as well, did Yamamoto work on any of the images songs? If so...

The beginning of "Hey you, crasher" from Hit 16 and the 4th Complete Song Collection set, sounds JUST LIKE the beginning of "Parasite" by KISS.

Here's the KISS song:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw5-pGKpRHk
Yeah they are very similar, but that song has nothing to do with Yamamoto. :roll:
Ahh, sorry. I wasn't sure if he worked on any of the image songs...woops!

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:53 am

Krax wrote:Guys check out the song "Man called C" Some of the background chords later in the song sound like Spiderman music by Danny Elfman.
Which track are you talking about? I want to know it because "Man called C" is one of my favorite pieces composed by Yamamoto.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Sun Jan 01, 2012 5:02 am

kei17 wrote:
Krax wrote:Guys check out the song "Man called C" Some of the background chords later in the song sound like Spiderman music by Danny Elfman.
Which track are you talking about? I want to know it because "Man called C" is one of my favorite pieces composed by Yamamoto.
At 2:05 of "Man called C" sounds like something Spiderman would have. I swear I've heard it in Spiderman before.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

KaiserNeko
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by KaiserNeko » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:10 pm

I just listened to this: Project Monolith - Super Power Melody http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tUFnvij ... re=related

And honestly? I really reminds me of the Double Dare theme. Not saying it's a rip-off, but funny nonetheless.
Check out TeamFourStar's DragonBall Z Abridged:
http://teamfourstar.com/

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Yamamoto is listed as an arranger on Kageyama's new album. It's somewhat good to know that he is still working.

http://www.lantis.jp/new-release/data2. ... 508e54c66c
9.Karma
作詞:影山ヒロノブ 作曲:影山ヒロノブ 編曲:山本健司
Gonstead wrote:At 2:05 of "Man called C" sounds like something Spiderman would have. I swear I've heard it in Spiderman before.
I listened to the soundtrack CD and found nothing.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:27 pm

Not sure if this is accepted here, but don't want to open a topic so here goes, is Tenkaichi 3 Soundtrack Yamamoto's weakest work?

I generally like all Yamamoto music, but Tenkaichi 3 was just awful to the point of having to mute it.

BT2's music far better than the third, and even the first.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:55 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:Not sure if this is accepted here, but don't want to open a topic so here goes, is Tenkaichi 3 Soundtrack Yamamoto's weakest work?

I generally like all Yamamoto music, but Tenkaichi 3 was just awful to the point of having to mute it.

BT2's music far better than the third, and even the first.
BT3's music wasn't done by Yamamoto. Its soundtrack was composed by Toshiyuki Kishi, Raging Blast's composer. And BT2's was done by, if I understood the in-game credits correctly, various teams of other composers doing different sections of the soundtrack.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Thu Feb 02, 2012 10:58 am

Damn Wikipedia and the mis-informative websites of the internet led to believe me it was Yamamoto, now it makes sense why it was changed.

Tenkaichi 2 was done by various composers? That's definitely why it's so awesome! :D

Thank you very much for this info, Sora!
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

dragondyle
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by dragondyle » Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:09 am

You must have faith in who you are.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 6:03 am

dragondyle wrote:Found yet ANOTHER similarity (a little too close):

Lunatic Calm - Leave You Far Behind
VS.
Dragon Ball Z Budokai: Breaking the limit Qi no limit
Yeah they are nearly identical. I did know that he had took something from the Matrix because he mentioned it as one of the movies that inspired him in one of the articles related to Budokai 1 on his old website. Now I see what it was.

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:32 pm

Although this is not a complete rip-off, the inspiration is definitely there between these two. The song structures are pretty similar, but that's about as far as this comparison goes:

Budokai 1 - Spirit Bomb

Toto - Child's Anthem

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:50 am

^ Holy crap, how have I not noticed that before? Well, Steve Lukather didn't seem to mind, apparently. :P
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:17 am

I had forgotten that Steve Lukather performed the guitar for the Budokai BGMs. Well, I guess we can confirm that this one isn't a ripoff then. :P

I wonder if any other Toto songs were lent as inspiration for any of the other Budokai songs.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:00 am

I don't recall any specific songs jumping out at me, but some of the songs do sound so much like Kingdom of Desire-era Toto that it makes me wonder if Lukather lent a hand in writing them--if not Mike Porcaro and Simon Philips, who also played on the soundtrack according to the Toto website. "Big Opportunity" and "Running to Victory" in particular sound like they may as well just be Toto jamming.

EDIT: Aaaactually, after I realised that "Spirit Bomb" theme wasn't on the soundtrack, I went to YouTube to look at some of the other stuff that was left off. 0:31 in this song resembles the main riff from Stranger In Town. Given that Yamamoto's "inspiration" tends to be a bit more blatant, though, this one might be a coincidence. :P
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:55 pm

Gosh, I've found a blatant one. How did I miss this?

Dragonball Z Budokai: "A Lot of Qi"
Conker's Bad Fur Day: "Enter the Vertex"

Especially, compare this part to the beginning of Yamamoto's one. You know, the scene in which this piece of VGM was used is a parody of The Matrix, so the true "inspiring" song can be from the movie.

Edit: An interview on DBZ Budokai's official site says that Yamamoto recorded only two songs with TOTO.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Sat Mar 10, 2012 12:04 am

Spooky resemblance! I can't believe it!
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Hades
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Hades » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm

About the Insert Song "News of the Cell Games",

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKbFoWCKvM0

Doesn't part of the opening riff sound like the opening riff to DOOM Soundtrack E1M9?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEAYqiKFk9c
TrunksTrevelyan0064 wrote:
Scarz wrote:Like using a flamethrower to kill an ant.
Hey, a lv.100 Charizard vs a wild lv.4 Caterpie. It happens.

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:22 pm

... No, not at all.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:00 am

I saw a YouTube comment which argues that "Kusuburu heart ni Hi o Tsukero!!" is like a mixture of B'z's "Giri Giri Chop!" and Mr. Big's "Addicted to That Rush". I checked it out and it was true.

Kenji Yamamoto - Kusuburu heart ni Hi o Tsukero!!
Mr. Big - Addicted to That Rush

Kenji Yamamoto - Kusuburu heart ni Hi o Tsukero!!
B'z - Giri Giri Chop!