The Coolest Faulconer Track?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

The Coolest Faulconer Track?

Post by LordCrumb » Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:59 am

What is yours? Mine is totally 'SSJ3 Transformation'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fay5vl6Pfgk

Can't stop listening to it, it just feels so damn epic. You can just picture the scene when Goku transforms infront of Buu, and my imagination takes it further if the story had been different.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: The Coolest Faulconer Track?

Post by Gonstead » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:06 am

Besides the fact that this should belong in the Music forum and that Faulconer did not create every single song...

My favorites are a mix between Gohan Angers and Episodic Trunks.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

desirecampbell

Post by desirecampbell » Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 am

Gonstead wrote:this should belong in the Music forum
Yup. Moved.

Also, I liked "Cell's theme". edit: I guess it was "Perfect Cell's theme"? I thought I remembered it playing for Cell's initial appearance.

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:00 am

For some reason, I like Goku vs. Cell the best
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:56 am

Faulconer Productions: Goku SSJ, Vejita SSJ, Goku SSJ3, Perfect Cell and Majin Buu.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

The Iron Fjord
Beyond Newbie

Post by The Iron Fjord » Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:46 pm

Vegeta's theme made my 8 year old balls drop.
The Iron Fjord will kick you in the nuts!

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:56 pm

desirecampbell wrote:
Gonstead wrote:this should belong in the Music forum
Yup. Moved.

Also, I liked "Cell's theme". edit: I guess it was "Perfect Cell's theme"? I thought I remembered it playing for Cell's initial appearance.
Same, that one is awesome!

I think Trunks had a cool theme, but I don't remember if it was in the show or just a Legacy of Goku II song. :?
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

DarkPrince_92
I Live Here

Post by DarkPrince_92 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:06 pm

Trunks' theme. "Trunks Appears" The Legacy Of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury had nice renditions of Faulconer Productions' work.

This version of Droids VS Bikers is pretty damn cool.
I am a freelance animator, check out my thangs. ART!

Check my webcomic series Off Guard now on webtoons!

PSN/Steam: DarkPrince_92

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:12 am

DarkPrince_92 wrote:Trunks' theme. "Trunks Appears" The Legacy Of Goku 2 and Buu's Fury had nice renditions of Faulconer Productions' work.

This version of Droids VS Bikers is pretty damn cool.
Thanks :) That heavy track was originally called "Beyond Belief Fast" and was the faster twin brother to "Destruction" (called "Beyond Belief" in the studio)
Here it is in it's original form:
http://youtu.be/gwf8eZKKS-Q?t=1s (up to about 0:51)

The bit you hear in "Droids Vs Bikers" was just an edit to speed up the scoring of the motor bike gang\android scene.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yF1pVNsjHc
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 pm

That's what I don't like about the Faulconer Productions score; Individual songs sounds like several meshed together. So is that the reason for all songs like that? You'd take the smaller songs and combine them to make something longer to fit a scene? But the individual songs aren't actually like that? I've just been wondering about that latey, 'cause I listen to some awesome song, and then it changes completely, often times changing several more times, and 90% of the song I don't like. The I find it hard to say I "like" that song... -_-
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by cRookie_Monster » Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:19 pm

linkdude20002001 wrote:That's what I don't like about the Faulconer Productions score; Individual songs sounds like several meshed together. So is that the reason for all songs like that? You'd take the smaller songs and combine them to make something longer to fit a scene? But the individual songs aren't actually like that? I've just been wondering about that latey, 'cause I listen to some awesome song, and then it changes completely, often times changing several more times, and 90% of the song I don't like. The I find it hard to say I "like" that song... -_-
I wouldn't say it's the reason for all of them, some percentage though yes. Some of the "edited music" that got released as tracks on CDs just makes my stomach churn. The Trunks Compendium is by far the worst about it...
Much of the music was in fact written to picture, and yes we had a thing for overdoing the "Mickey Mousing"..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mickey_mousing
So those "Mickey Moused" pieces of music would change all over the place, just cause that's the way the music was written in the first place. Keep in mind there were 4 composers(who also edited), 1 full time music editor(Ben), and 2 music directors(Barry and Evan) on the "Faulconer" version of the score; the seven of us didn't always agree on what was best for a scene... :roll:

In this particular case I was doing mostly new music, but used the pre-existing bed "Beyond Belief Fast" as a shortcut for a couple of spots in the midst of the new music. Even with using those bits of "Beyond Belief Fast", that track took longer to produce than any other track I ever did for the show. Recording that much guitar in super detailed synch to picture is pretty time consuming (ie the railway train section!) not to mention there are four styles of music called for in the scene: heavy metal, pink van music, evil synthy android music, ragtime piano\Keystone cops music. So yeah it's messy, this scene was especially bad for that. It was never meant to be a track on a CD, I have a few ADHD type tracks on my solo CDs, but I don't think I was ever *that* bad!

PS, there's a video called "Androids Vs Bikers"...dunno how long before that gets taken down.

Not everything was like that though, there are plenty of pieces that were written as general beds. Much of the Garlic Jr score was "bed based" since we had time to kill before we received the actual tapes to score to. Some other bed style tracks that weren't written to picture were Cell's Slow theme, Android 16's theme, The Dragon Theme(extended version that's on the CD), Episodic Trunks, Pikkon's Theme, Dr Gero's theme, Power Music, Groovy Disco Tech, Boogie Man, Future Trunks, etc.
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:51 pm

Thanks, that makes sense. I seem to like the "bed based" songs more because they last longer as actual songs. Some songs that I like I just don't know if they're "Mickey Moused" or just edited together for the CD. The latter really bugs me. I prefer to have songs as stand alone tracks unless they really are meant to go together. Kikuchi's score is often mixed up like that on CD. I might go through and break 'em all up.

By the way, I thought Beyond Belief Fast was actually quite funny. Though in the video you mentioned it was hard to hear the music, so it was a little disappointing. That song makes me imagine stuff that's way funnier than what actually happens anyways.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

samuraix123
I Live Here

Post by samuraix123 » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:05 pm

Paikuhan's theme is awesome! and probably my favorite :D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JMq9S_CHsWg
The Dragonboxes are like a middle aged woman who still looks good through simply taking good care of her skin and body with maybe a tiny bit of makeup while the Orange Bricks are like a middle aged woman who get's 50 tons of botox, makeup and plastic surgery in order to look younger and as a result looks even worse. ~ ringworm128
Still recording Toonami broadcasts on VHS after all these years!
#1 Paikuhan fan!

dbboxkaifan
Banned

Post by dbboxkaifan » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:06 pm

samuraix123 wrote:Paikuhan's theme is awesome! and probably my favorite :D
It's a cool track but doesn't really seem to fit Paikuhan, imo.
FUNimation 2015 Releases I want:
- Kai 2.0 on Blu-ray

Gonstead
I Live Here

Post by Gonstead » Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:28 pm

dbboxkaifan wrote:
samuraix123 wrote:Paikuhan's theme is awesome! and probably my favorite :D
It's a cool track but doesn't really seem to fit Paikuhan, imo.
It does however fit this air of mystery we got from first seeing him and the fact that West Kai makes such a big deal about him.

And then there's that terrible filler sequence of him beating down Cell and other villains with it playing in the background, which was a good music choice.
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

Rory
I Live Here

Post by Rory » Sun Nov 25, 2012 10:15 pm

I always preferred the more ambient Faulconer tracks, 'Vegeta's Atonement' is a track I really enjoyed, and still do.

Lord Exor
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Lord Exor » Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:41 am

There are many, but I'd have to place my vote on Dr. Gero's Theme
"My dear friend, how can I make this even more painful for you? I could crush your hands, rip off both of your ears, or maybe I'll just smash in your tiny little cranium. Ehehehehehehehe."
—Frieza

"Alright big guy, whatever turns you on."
—Frieza

dbzfan7
Namekian Warrior

Post by dbzfan7 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:17 am

Ginyu's Transformation

Gohan's Anger/Mystic Gohan

Gohan vs Freeza

I liked the faulconer character theme's, but I never liked his battle music, or other music. His character theme's were always awesome.
Why Dragon Ball Consistency in something such as power levels matter!

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:37 am

Gonstead wrote:Besides the fact that this should belong in the Music forum and that Faulconer did not create every single song...

My favorites are a mix between Gohan Angers and Episodic Trunks.
Still goes to Episodic Trunks for me. It has a very similar tone to "Mind Power Ki" which was a song they used with him in the original version and I thought it was one time the two really lined up. I forget if it was ever used in the same place, but I doubt it.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

sbk
Beyond Newbie

Post by sbk » Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 pm

This unreleased song at the end of The Cell Games is one my favorites. I really wish he'd release it :|

And Gohan Powers Up is just amazing.