What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Post by Dbzfan94 » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:42 am

kenisu3000 wrote:
Dbzfan94 wrote:Awesome!! Thanks to this i found the name of M118. Si Xing Qu Chase
That's not the official name, just so you know. Most DragonBall/DBZ cues are only officially known by their M-numbers, so I came up with a bunch of unofficial names to make them easier to remember. The closest thing it has to a name (that we're aware of) is "Eyes of Shining Blue" (the title of track 17 on disc 2 of the 5-CD set), and it shares that name with the other cue found on that track.
Oh, really? I didn't know that at all! Thanks!

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Sep 10, 2016 6:16 pm

kenisu3000, got a question:

Were M1716 and M1717 really supposed to be part of the M16XX series, which is DBZ Movie 9? They sound like M1629, which was never used in the film. Were they mislabeled by Toei or Nippon-Columbia?

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 2:25 am

^ Nope. M1629 uses the "teen Gohan" theme (which takes the "Gohan lullaby" theme from much earlier in the series and changes some notes here and there). M1626 is the last cue that was meant for Movie 9, and M1627 - M1629 (or however many more M16XXs there were) were merely recorded a bit early, during the Movie 9 session but meant all along for the upcoming Great Saiyaman arc in the TV series, and that's why they bear the M16XX number. (Of course, M1624 uses the theme as well, and that *was* meant for the movie but didn't make the final cut; but Kikuchi obviously worked on the new Gohan theme at the same time he worked on Movie 9's score.)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 am

kenisu3000 wrote:^ Nope. M1629 uses the "teen Gohan" theme (which takes the "Gohan lullaby" theme from much earlier in the series and changes some notes here and there). M1626 is the last cue that was meant for Movie 9, and M1627 - M1629 (or however many more M16XXs there were) were merely recorded a bit early, during the Movie 9 session but meant all along for the upcoming Great Saiyaman arc in the TV series, and that's why they bear the M16XX number. (Of course, M1624 uses the theme as well, and that *was* meant for the movie but didn't make the final cut; but Kikuchi obviously worked on the new Gohan theme at the same time he worked on Movie 9's score.)
I see.

However, there is one cue that was definitely mislabeled: M10 from very early in the series. Even with very little information available, one can tell that M10 was really part of the first series of music cues (AXX-JXX). The second series didn't start until episode 8.

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:47 am

In Dragon Ball Super what's the name of the theme that plays in Episode 57 when there was that cut of Goku and Trunks fighting Black and Zamasu. It starts when Zamasu starts walking out of the building after he'd just been kicked into it.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 12:57 pm

Bullza wrote:In Dragon Ball Super what's the name of the theme that plays in Episode 57 when there was that cut of Goku and Trunks fighting Black and Zamasu. It starts when Zamasu starts walking out of the building after he'd just been kicked into it.
Here you go! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZhUQP32-Y
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:23 pm

Naruto6583 wrote:
Bullza wrote:In Dragon Ball Super what's the name of the theme that plays in Episode 57 when there was that cut of Goku and Trunks fighting Black and Zamasu. It starts when Zamasu starts walking out of the building after he'd just been kicked into it.
Thanks a lot!

Was it a track from the Resurrection F saga? I thought it was a newer one, I didn't remember hearing it before.

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:36 pm

In Kai, what's the music that plays when they show Mecha-Frieza and King Cold on their ship approaching Earth?
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:05 pm

Bullza wrote:
Naruto6583 wrote:
Thanks a lot!

Was it a track from the Resurrection F saga? I thought it was a newer one, I didn't remember hearing it before.
It's from the fnf arc.
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:42 pm

Sailor Haumea wrote:In Kai, what's the music that plays when they show Mecha-Frieza and King Cold on their ship approaching Earth?

Kikuchi or Yamamoto?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:43 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Sailor Haumea wrote:In Kai, what's the music that plays when they show Mecha-Frieza and King Cold on their ship approaching Earth?

Kikuchi or Yamamoto?
Whichever one aired on Toonami (2015 or 2016). Presumably Kikuchi.
"That's right, everyone of my race can become a giant gorilla!" - Tullece (AB Groupe dub)

Daisetsu
Beyond Newbie

Post by Daisetsu » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:27 pm

Well, there's two of them: M730 and M740

Sailor Haumea
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Sailor Haumea » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:59 pm

Daisetsu wrote:Well, there's two of them: M730 and M740
M740 is it, I think.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:23 pm

All the Kikuchi tracks used in the 2008 JSAT special

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 4:15 pm

What music plays from 0:00-0:32 in this youtube video?
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Nov 07, 2016 11:08 pm

Found it......aaaaaaaaaaand it's unreleased. Guess I'll have to wait for Funi's dub to be released in blu-ray so that it can be taken from the surround sound mix...

For whatever reason that tune sounds like it could fit in Quake's soundtrack, which I find interesting.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:55 am

Pretty late on replying to this, but eh, what can you do.
kenisu3000 wrote:
Azelf89 wrote:Looking back at the unreleased cue from Curse of the Blood Rubies, I'm positive that the tracks "Departing The Island" and "Kame Sennin Speaks Of Friends" are actually both together one cue.
Well, I don't know. There's a good number of spots in the DragonBall movies where the cues bleed into each other, and because so much of it is unreleased, figuring out if something is actually two cues or all just one cue, can be crazy guesswork. The entire scene where Oolong is introduced gives me a headache for that very reason.

As to the cues you mentioned, I'm sticking by my conjecture. Both of them are fairly different thematically, plus you have matters like the way the M-numbers match up, the fact that the former is recycled once (in DBZ episode 15) without any indication the latter is a part of it. All this, of course, isn't irrefutable evidence, but sometimes you only get a concrete answer if/when the cues are released (with a booklet giving nice, thorough explanations).
[Emphasis mine]

Actually there is an indication of "Kame Sennin Speaks Of Friends" being a part of "Departing The Island", and it's actually in the episode in question that you mentioned where "Departing The Island" was recycled once and never again (DBZ EP. 15).

This in fact goes into why I came to this conclusion, but take a listen to the last 16 seconds of "Departing The Island" in DBZ EP. 15, then listen to the last 18 seconds of "Kame Sennin Speaks Of Friends" in either DB movie 1 or in DBZ EP. 40. Both of them use the exact same ending, though the former is slightly edited to be about 2 seconds shorter. Same instrumentation and everything! So yeah, while it may be difficult determining if certain cues (especially in Curse of the Blood Rubies) are two cues or all just one cue, for me I think it's safe to say the both cues are in fact together one cue.

Also, something I've just recently discovered is that there is actually ANOTHER variation of the unreleased cue "Fond Memories" (so at this point, that makes three so far). It's pretty similar in instrumentation to the first variation of the cue, but there are enough differences between them (namely in the acoustics and a few other instruments) to signify that it is a different variation. Now I don't know when this variation is first used or just how many times it was used overall, but I do know that it's used in the second safety special "Goku's Fire Brigade", DB EP. 126, DB EP. 131 and DBZ EP. 40.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Thu Nov 10, 2016 4:43 pm

Sorry for the double post, but I just found out something else that's interesting while looking back at the unreleased cues from "Curse of the Blood Rubies" again.

So you know the unreleased cue "Si Xing Qiu" (this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=35RkFybCUws)? Well as it turns out, that's actually not a DB Movie 1 track (more specifically, it's not from the M2XX line)! Rather, it's actually a cue from the AXX-JXX line of BGM from early on in the series, "A DragonBall!" (with Zestanor's rip of it not actually being a cue, but rather a SFX), just re-used for that movie.

IGhostUlt
Beyond Newbie

Post by IGhostUlt » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:03 pm

What is the name of the song that starts on 3:15 and ends at 3:53. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swrCFF7M4mM

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Thu Dec 08, 2016 2:09 pm

Glad to see you guys are still interested in this. I get comments on my videos quite often. My system for assigning numbers was one of the very earliest parts of this project, which I started several years ago. That being the case, I am no longer nearly as familiar with this music as I was then, so I'm not in a position to systematically reorganize the cues. So if y'all see one of my videos with a number that is probably wrong, just comment on the video. Thanks!

Also, if you think that one of my videos is missing a part of a cue that is found in another episode, let me know and I'll check it out. It's totally possible I missed that, since I'm just going off of Ken's stuff (which he may have updated in the past three years :P )