What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 5:42 pm

Has there ever been a time when you're watching DragonBall in its native Japanese and a really awesome musical cue will catch your attention, and you're left wondering "Gee whiz, I wonder if that one's on CD, and which CD it's on?" Of course there has! That's why fans of Shunsuke Kikuchi, Akihito Tokunaga, and... um... Kenji Yamamoto will be especially interested in this site:

The Suburbs of kenisu's Magicant
(background music documentation for several different series, including DragonBall/Z/GT/Yamamoto-Kai)

I thought by now most of the community would be aware of this thing, but we're still getting plenty of people in the dark about this, so it seems to me this is still the DragonBall community's best-kept secret.

It shouldn't be a secret. I created this documentation not only to satisfy my own and other fans' curiosity, but also to raise more awareness of the very real problem (even if it is a first-world problem) of background music, well, staying in the background, and not getting the attention it deserves. And because it doesn't get that attention, we don't get ample CD releases - which means a LOT of really, really good stuff stays rotting in some forgotten vault somewhere, instead of on crisp, shiny compact discs in the homes of those who appreciate it.

So, I requested this topic to be stickied here in the music forum. Actually, this is an idea I've been entertaining for a few years now, but I always wanted to have the whole thing completely finished and polished up before making a big show of it. Well, time has gone mercilessly on, and other non-DragonBall-related projects have been consuming me for quite a while now, and that final draft I promised so long ago is still quite a ways away. So I figure now is as good a time as any to "make a big show" of it - especially since I've been getting visitors from all around the world for years anyway.
Last edited by kenisu3000 on Fri Dec 11, 2020 2:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Want to identify that piece of music? Go here!

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:10 pm

Agreed entirely. Done!
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Way to go Kenisu, I'm fan of your work for years now as I love the BGM music a lot 8)
Keep up the awesome work!
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:24 pm

One day I'm sure you'll have the motivation and time to finally complete it. ^.^
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

DBZGTKOSDH
Namekian Warrior

Post by DBZGTKOSDH » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:58 am

This is awesome, thanks! :D
James Teal (Animerica 1996) wrote:When you think about it, there are a number of similarities between the Chinese-inspired Son Goku and that most American of superhero icons, Superman. Both are aliens sent to Earth shortly after birth to escape the destruction of their homeworlds; both possess super-strength, flight, super-speed, heightened senses and the ability to cast energy blasts. But the crucial difference between them lies not only in how they view the world, but in how the world views them.

Superman is, and always has been, a symbol for truth, justice, and upstanding moral fortitude–a role model and leader as much as a fighter. The more down-to-earth Goku has no illusions about being responsible for maintaining social order, or for setting some kind of moral example for the entire world. Goku is simply a martial artist who’s devoted his life toward perfecting his fighting skills and other abilities. Though never shy about risking his life to save either one person or the entire world, he just doesn’t believe that the balance of the world rests in any way on his shoulders, and he has no need to shape any part of it in his image. Goku is an idealist, and believes that there is some good in everyone, but he is unconcerned with the big picture of the world…unless it has to do with some kind of fight. Politics, society, law and order don’t have much bearing on his life, but he’s a man who knows right from wrong.

Super 17
Regular

Post by Super 17 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 6:55 pm

Good stuff Kenisu. Thanks to your documentation, I know what pieces are used exactly in each sagas. I started re-watching all of the series and every time I finish an episode, I look at your documentation and see what pieces were used and what pieces might be new. Thanks a lot. I will always admire you for that! (:

SSj_Rambo
I Live Here

Post by SSj_Rambo » Tue Mar 12, 2013 12:45 am

Your guide has been a great resource for myself and I know it will continue to be. Thanks again man, and I look forward to where this takes you in the future!

TheMightyOzaru
Banned

Post by TheMightyOzaru » Sun Mar 24, 2013 2:45 pm

What's the name of the song that plays in the Red Ribbon Base stage in the Budokai HD collection?
Vegeta: "Funny... I seem to recall Kakarot being fed the same information right before he transformed; the distinct look on your faces when he went Super Saiyan didn't exactly inspire confidence. One does not predict or calculate power like ours."
Youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/ThePrinceOfSaiyajins
My 3DS Friend Code:
2707-1669-7946

Blade
I Live Here
Location: Contrary to popular belief, not on Kanzenshuu forums.

Post by Blade » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:19 am

Thanks for this!

Is there anything similar for Falconer's score to Z out there?
'Multiculturalism means nothing in Japan, for every outside culture must pass first through the Japanese filter, rendering it entirely Japanese in the process.' - Julian Cope.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 4:44 pm

TheMightyOzaru wrote:What's the name of the song that plays in the Red Ribbon Base stage in the Budokai HD collection?
Er... um... rats. I guess I should have clarified in the subject, this documentation is for the anime only. I'm afraid I'm very unfamiliar with the soundtracks to most of the video games (as I've only played a few of them).
Blade wrote:Is there anything similar for Falconer's score to Z out there?
If there is, I wouldn't know. At any rate, the Faulconer Productions score would be incredibly difficult to document. Not only are there usually no breaks in the music during any given episode (making it insane to try and figure out where one cue ends and the next begins), but if the CDs are any indicator, there are also parts that mix in other compositions, in numerous different ways.

Suddenly I feel like a big failure :lol:
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Gonstead
I Live Here

Re: Want to identify a music cue from the anime? Go here!

Post by Gonstead » Mon Mar 25, 2013 9:00 pm

You could always try contacting Scott Morgan (cRookie_monster) as he's probably the most familiar with the score on this site (Since he worked on the score with Mike Smith, Bruce Faulconer and Julius Dobos).
Visit DragonBallFigures for all your Dragon Ball figure info and needs!
Mayuri Kurotsuchi wrote:"In this world, nothing perfect exists. It may be a cliche after all but it's the way things are. That's precisely why ordinary men pursue the concept of perfection, it's infatuation. But ultimately I have to ask myself "What is the true meaning of being perfect?" and the answer I came up with was nothing. Not one thing. The truth of the matter is I despise perfection! If something is truly perfect, that's IT! The bottom line becomes there is no room for imagination! No space for intelligence or ability or improvement! Do you understand? To men of science like us, perfection is a dead end, a condition of hopelessness. Always strive to be better than anything that came before you but not perfect! Scientist's agonize over the attempt to achieve perfection! That's the kind of creatures we are! We take joy in trying to exceed our grasp, in trying to reach for something that in the end, we have to admit may in fact be unreachable!"
MY HOLY GRAIL (110% Serious. Please sell me one)

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:47 pm

Gonstead wrote:You could always try contacting Scott Morgan (cRookie_monster) as he's probably the most familiar with the score on this site (Since he worked on the score with Mike Smith, Bruce Faulconer and Julius Dobos).
Oh, I know. I follow the threads here, even if I don't post as often as I used to. The thing is, a Faulconer Productions documentation would have to be somebody else's job, not mine. I don't think that particular score is half as bad as some make it out to be, but I'd have to REALLY like it to be able to stick to a project that would span from the Captain Ginyu episodes clear to the end of Z, and then some other scattered stuff.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 7:23 am

This site is the greatest fan-created work about DB of all time! Thanks to your tremendous amount of work, we can easily identify every single piece we want - there is no such a thing in the entire internet.
I have one question regarding "DB/Z BGM Breakdown":
Why some of the pieces from Dragon Ball TV series [d2:5(b), d2:6(c), d2:10(d), d2:11(b), d2:12(b)] are tagged as "???"? There was no information about them in booklet ?

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:17 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:Why some of the pieces from Dragon Ball TV series [d2:5(b), d2:6(c), d2:10(d), d2:11(b), d2:12(b)] are tagged as "???"? There was no information about them in booklet ?
In some cases, Toei actually lost track of the M-numbers for a handful of cues, and it says so in the booklet (I'm not sure how they were lost; were most of them written on the reel labels with a magic marker, and the lost numbers written with pencil that's since faded? :lol: Or did the labels peel off or something?).

In other cases, that first document you see on that page was what I jotted down before I even watched the original DragonBall, so at the time there were moments where I wasn't sure where one cue would end and the next would begin. Remember, tracks 2-13 on Daizenshuu Disc 2 were brought over from an older LP that had the cues overlapping (I *HATE* that practice!), instead of throwing in one second of breathing room between each cue.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue Mar 26, 2013 9:09 pm

kenisu3000 wrote: In some cases, Toei actually lost track of the M-numbers for a handful of cues, and it says so in the booklet (I'm not sure how they were lost; were most of them written on the reel labels with a magic marker, and the lost numbers written with pencil that's since faded? :lol: Or did the labels peel off or something?).

In other cases, that first document you see on that page was what I jotted down before I even watched the original DragonBall, so at the time there were moments where I wasn't sure where one cue would end and the next would begin. Remember, tracks 2-13 on Daizenshuu Disc 2 were brought over from an older LP that had the cues overlapping (I *HATE* that practice!), instead of throwing in one second of breathing room between each cue.
They destroyed all episodes documentation ? :shock: Identifying tracks by episodes documentation seems harder - maybe they were to lazy to do it (as Columbia was to lazy to create new stereo masters for all tracks).
Tracks 2-13 from "Great far from Complete Collection" (they are nothing else than 1986 LP release) are the only not-splitted pieces which I have :evil:

Insertclevername
I Live Here

Post by Insertclevername » Mon Apr 01, 2013 1:40 am

The link is down. :(
Cipher wrote:Also, you can seriously like whatever and still get laid. That's a revelation that'll hit you at some point.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 4:44 pm

Insertclevername wrote:The link is down. :(
Yeah, I exceeded my bandwidth for the month of March. It'll be back up once Webs realizes it's April. :D

IAmTheMilkMan
Beyond Newbie

Post by IAmTheMilkMan » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:37 am

I've been utilizing your wonderful website a lot lately and I'm glad I have the opportunity to thank you for it. It's been very useful, so thank you very much for your hard work.
aka TheMilkmanConspiracy on IFDB
aka WhereIsTheMilkman elsewhere

B
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by B » Sun Apr 14, 2013 3:19 am

Prepare for a possibly dumb question, but what exactly are "5-disc set" and "BGM Collection" supposed to denote? I figured they were there for "disc" and "track", so when something is noted as "d4:22(d)", that means disc 4, track 22, but looking through Kanzenshuu's Music Guide, that is increasingly not the case.

Just for reference, I'm looking through Movie 12's score. About half of it has "M-numbers" and codes for "5-disc set" and "BGM Collection". These are completely foreign to me.
Keen Observation of Dragon Ball Z Movie 4's Climax wrote:Slug shits to see the genki

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 11:23 pm

B wrote:Prepare for a possibly dumb question, but what exactly are "5-disc set" and "BGM Collection" supposed to denote? I figured they were there for "disc" and "track", so when something is noted as "d4:22(d)", that means disc 4, track 22, but looking through Kanzenshuu's Music Guide, that is increasingly not the case.

Just for reference, I'm looking through Movie 12's score. About half of it has "M-numbers" and codes for "5-disc set" and "BGM Collection". These are completely foreign to me.
Hmm. I'm not 100% sure what you're asking, so forgive me if I misunderstand your question. Anyway, if there's a column for the 5-disc set, that means at least one of the cues used in that movie/episode can be found on that set, otherwise known as the Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z: Daizenshuu CD box, the second release listed on this page.

d4:22(d) stands for "Daizenshuu set, Disc 4, Track 22, Cue no. 4". A lot of DragonBall BGM releases have their cues compiled into suites instead of giving each one its own separate track, so I use alphabet letters to denote which part of the track the cue can be found in (a = 1st cue, b = 2nd cue, and so forth).

The BGM Collection is known in full as the DragonBall Z BGM Collection, and it's listed a little past halfway down on the same page I linked to above.

M-numbers are production codes that composers use to keep track of their work for a specific film or series. (They're known in the West as slate numbers.)

Hope I helped!