What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DB1984
Banned

Re: What's that BGM in the Japanese version? Read the OP!

Post by DB1984 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 7:49 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:To Ree and raulvalente, I'm afraid I haven't documented anything from Super. Plus, if the cues you're looking for are indeed original music from Super, getting the cue names probably won't do you any good as I haven't heard of any BGM releases for the new series yet.
Kenisu3000, was "Octagons Aplenty" intended for DB Movie 3? It does have the shorter-length, common of movie cues. But I don't know if sounds anything like Tao Pai Pai's leitmotif, or any other leitmotif in the film.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:33 pm

I think the guitar part resembles the descending chromatic motif heard throughout much of the movie.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:48 pm

What about "Dinner at the Son House"? Which motif is it supposed to be a variation of?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:06 pm

It sounds like M713 and M714 to me.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:13 pm

The best version of Gohan's theme is this one. And sadly, it was NEVER officially released.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3gj5B6YueD0

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:16 pm

Anyone try syncing up M256 with the scene from DB Movie 1 where Yamcha and Pu-erh infiltrate Gourmeth's castle? I tried it, and it didn't work.

Meanwhile, I tried syncing up M433 with the scene from DB Movie 2 where Lunch attempts to make a getaway on her one-wheel Scargo, but sneezes and wipes out in her "nice girl" form. It worked perfectly.

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:22 pm

Here's another reason I should type up my expanded/revised notes for the movies soon. Had they already been up, it might have saved quite a bit of confusion (assuming my guesses are right).
DB1984 wrote:Kenisu3000, was "Octagons Aplenty" intended for DB Movie 3? It does have the shorter-length, common of movie cues. But I don't know if sounds anything like Tao Pai Pai's leitmotif, or any other leitmotif in the film.
DragonBall Movie 3 is kind of a mess of music tampering compared to the other movies. There's a whole handful of unused cues, repeats, and even material recycled from the TV series (which is otherwise unheard of). Octagons Aplenty seems like it would fit the mood of the scene starting at 30:04 (The DragonBall falls from Goku's shirt, and he meets Karin, who tosses him a senzu, and so on), but if the structure of Zestanor's rip is any indication, we've never heard the full cue, so we can't very well sync it up with that scene.

As for Gregory Throws The Kame Gang For A Loop, I see Zestanor has somewhat of the same idea that it's unused from the movie in question, but my personal guess for its original intention was 09:37, where three more fighter planes appear in the sky and begin firing at Bulma, and she evades them, resulting in them crashing into the sea one after another.
DB1984 wrote:Anyone try syncing up M256 with the scene from DB Movie 1 where Yamcha and Pu-erh infiltrate Gourmeth's castle? I tried it, and it didn't work.
Unless it's an alternate (which I doubt), I can't think of any other spot where that one was originally intended. It wasn't necessarily meant to fit within the exact time constraints as the repeat of M229; you might try syncing it to start as soon as the shot switches to the doorway at the end of the catwalk, it fits a bit better that way.
Meanwhile, I tried syncing up M433 with the scene from DB Movie 2 where Lunch attempts to make a getaway on her one-wheel Scargo, but sneezes and wipes out in her "nice girl" form. It worked perfectly.
Yes, it worked for me too when I tried it while I was expanding my notes for Sleeping Princess.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:45 pm

My order for the cues for movie 3 are partly based on a subjective "these pieces sound similar," and then when I was clueless, I just threw the rest in where they fit. The main thing is that it's finished. :P I'll work on reorganizing it... sometime.
By the way, on Z episode 16 you've got "Tao Pai Pai Comes in" listed as a cue, but what plays instead is something else.

That leaves (I think) two cues exclusive to Z that aren't from the movies, and haven't been ripped by Kei: "Love at second sight," and "The pain has passed." Also, "Anticipation" is the same as a cue from Z movie 2, or thereabouts. It's either on CD, or Kei has ripped it.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Dec 08, 2015 11:47 pm

One of the biggest mysteries regarding Dragon Ball cues has got to be "PK Powered Ropes". What motif could it have been a variant of? Could it have been from the M1XX series or the M3XX series?

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Mon Dec 14, 2015 6:59 pm

Zestanor wrote:My order for the cues for movie 3 are partly based on a subjective "these pieces sound similar," and then when I was clueless, I just threw the rest in where they fit. The main thing is that it's finished. :P I'll work on reorganizing it... sometime.
By the way, on Z episode 16 you've got "Tao Pai Pai Comes in" listed as a cue, but what plays instead is something else.

That leaves (I think) two cues exclusive to Z that aren't from the movies, and haven't been ripped by Kei: "Love at second sight," and "The pain has passed." Also, "Anticipation" is the same as a cue from Z movie 2, or thereabouts. It's either on CD, or Kei has ripped it.
Actually the cue "The Pain has Passed" has been ripped by Kei: https://youtu.be/S2PdbcqktHk?list=PL493 ... 91AE&t=115

That just leaves "Love At Second Sight" that has yet to be fully ripped.

Also wanted to ask, how did figure out that the cue you posted above was its own separate cue? Because to me it just sounds like the last 22 seconds of "Tenshinhan Knocks Out Kame Sennin".

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:38 am

Oh. That's totally possible. I knew it sounded familiar... :P Thanks, I'll fix it.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:27 am

Zestanor wrote:Oh. That's totally possible. I knew it sounded familiar... :P Thanks, I'll fix it.
What about "PK Powered Ropes"? What motif could it have been a variant of?

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 3:49 am

I don't think it's a variant of anything. They used it a lot during the Tao Pai Pai mini arc, so I grouped it with the M300s.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:52 pm

Zestanor wrote:Oh. That's totally possible. I knew it sounded familiar... :P Thanks, I'll fix it.
Actually there's another cue that you have that's just an edited version of another cue. It's the one that you put as "Entrance unused", which is just the cue "Yamcha's Huge Opponent" without the middle section in it.

Also, I found out that there are actually THREE cues that haven't been ripped yet: "Love at second sight", "The Boogeyman Restaurant", and one other cue that's only used in episode 16 of Z, when Pigero first appears.

Zestanor
Regular

Post by Zestanor » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:29 am

I have "Boogeyman" sitting on my desktop on my... desktop. I didn't think it was relevant enough to upload--it didn't sound like Dragon Ball. I won't have access to that computer for at least a month. I also have the Pigero cue, but it was so short it got lost in my sorting, I think.

Azelf89
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Azelf89 » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:28 pm

Something I want to bring up about the last unreleased cue from Mystical Adventure, "Metallic Tries To Kill Upa", is that I don't think it's actually its own cue, but really just the last half of the the cue "Sgt. Metallic".

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Mar 19, 2016 7:59 pm

Could it be that "Why Watch The Bay On Baywatch?" is stock music? It doesn't sound like something Kikuchi could have composed, does it?

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:49 pm

DB1984 wrote:Could it be that "Why Watch The Bay On Baywatch?" is stock music? It doesn't sound like something Kikuchi could have composed, does it?
It's definitely my hypothesis that it's stock music.
Azelf89 wrote:Something I want to bring up about the last unreleased cue from Mystical Adventure, "Metallic Tries To Kill Upa", is that I don't think it's actually its own cue, but really just the last half of the the cue "Sgt. Metallic".
Yes, it's possible that they're one and the same, especially since when listening closely with earbuds, "Kill Upa" seems to start with what sounds like a cutoff.

The editing of Mystical Adventure's score is an enormous reason I want a complete-and-chronological CD release, including M-numbers, of everything Kikuchi composed for the series, whether it wound up used or not. I'm dying to know how everything was originally envisioned when Kikuchi made the recordings. (Plus, it'd be great fun to see if I'm right or not about which of the weird one-shot cues that later appeared in the TV series were a part of that!)
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:21 am

^Not only that, but given that some released tracks were never played in full, it's also quite possible some unreleased tracks were never played in full.

On another note, are you going to do the Sumitomo stuff?
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 5:14 am

Valerius Dover wrote:^Not only that, but given that some released tracks were never played in full, it's also quite possible some unreleased tracks were never played in full.
Oh, of that I'm positive.
On another note, are you going to do the Sumitomo stuff?
It's definitely on my radar.

And I'm not just saying this because my site's visitors have severely dropped in number ever since Super started up. (sniffle...)

Unfortunately I still have Kai: The Final Chapters to finish (and I'd also have to tackle the two versions of Battle of Gods and Resurrection F), plus I haven't kept up with Super since like episode 3 (!) so chalk another thing up to the backburner.