The music in the Funimation Dub movies made them better.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

The music in the Funimation Dub movies made them better.

Post by Bacon Skittles » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:25 pm

<deleted>
Last edited by Bacon Skittles on Sun May 23, 2021 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zephyr
I Live Here

Re: The music in the Funimation Dub movies made them better.

Post by Zephyr » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:35 pm

Bacon Skittles wrote:For some reason the rock music at the time seemed to fit well with the series.
Can give some reasoning for why you think that?

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:44 pm

The Funimation music made the series significantly better but the movies not so much.

WittyUsername
I Live Here

Post by WittyUsername » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:45 pm

I'll actually admit, I liked some of the rock music that Funimation used in their movie dubs for DBZ back in the day. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad that they no longer do that, but I liked the songs for what they were.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 02, 2015 4:58 pm

The rock music didn't really enhance the experience in any way, in the movies or the original shows. Hell, the inclusion of the rock music helped create the warped concept of what westerners believe what Dragon Ball Z is all about.

BrandonR24
Not-So-Newbie

Post by BrandonR24 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:01 pm

Yeah, it's unpopular opinion, but I DBZ Movie Funi Dub rock music, as a kid it honestly got me into rock music. Which of course expanded past the nu-metal stuff (still enjoy it here and there). My favorite soundtrack they used was for The History of Trunks, just fit so well with that dark feel.

bkev
I Live Here

Post by bkev » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:07 pm

I don't particularly like the replacement score, especially not the movies. But I think that the insert songs do a better job differentiating it from the series than the occasional movie-exclusive Kikuchi track. They help make it feel special.

Never cared for the tracks themselves but I definitely see at least that perspective.
[quote="Brakus"]For all the flack that FUNimation gets on this forum for their quote about DBZ, there's some modicum of truth to it: a 9-year-old is born every day. Or in some cases, "reborn". DBZ may be a kids' show, but it's been so close to so many hearts all over Japan, America, and quite possibly, even the world.[/quote]

Bacon Skittles
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bacon Skittles » Thu Apr 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Some of the best scenes with the music:

Goku turning False Super Saiyan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24uIs1sTLhQ

Goku turning Super Saiyan
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F7P2QOMhWgw

Broly turning Legendary Super Saiyan, which is probably the most badass transformation imo (though could have had less grunting from Broly.)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXBrmlcADJA

Added bonus, Trunk's various themes are absolutely badass
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHHuD_SeD0

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:04 pm

not much of a fan of the american scores, but Gogeta's theme in fusion reborn was freaking awesome, and in the series some tracks like the trunks themes are freaking great.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

jjgp1112
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by jjgp1112 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:09 pm

I thought Movie 4's selection was hit or miss, but Movies 5 and 8 have some pretty kick-ass song choices in the dub.
Yamcha: Do you remember the spell to release him - do you know all the words?
Bulma: Of course! I'm not gonna pull a Frieza and screw it up!
Master Roshi: Bulma, I think Frieza failed because he wore too many clothes!
Cold World (Fanfic)
"It ain't never too late to stop bein' a bitch." - Chad Lamont Butler

Zenkai
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Zenkai » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:10 pm

I'm not really a fan of rock music in general.

I'm a classical saxophonist, so, yeah, I prefer the symphonic music of the original Japanese version.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by thaman91 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:34 pm

As somebody who grew up with the dub and still likes it and its music today, I don't really care for the rock songs used in the movies. Not at all. And this is not an opinion I'm forming now; no, it's an opinion I've had since back when I was a pre-teen watching the show on Toonami. It just felt like noise that was distracting from what was actually going on.

With the Faulconer music, it at least felt like it was accompanying what was being shown and said on screen. Yeah, it changed the tone from the original version a lot of times. Yeah it was wall-to-wall and mickey-mouse-ed a lot but it was specifically created to fit specific scenes.

The rock music in the movies just made everything seem like one big AMV. It actually made me really dislike the Lord Slug movie back in the day. And I still haven't watched it or the rest of the movies with the original Kikuchi music (aside from Movies 1 & 2, which actually aired with the Kikuchi music back in the day); but I probably should one of these days if I want to have a good movie experience.

Duo
I Live Here

Post by Duo » Thu Apr 02, 2015 6:38 pm

I never much care for any of the American replacement music in the show, movies, or otherwise.

Though as I recall, Movie 5 had some decent tracks in it.

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:17 pm

I've never minded the instrumental rock, but the vocal parts always annoyed me as I could've sworn it muffled the actual dialogue.

I prefer the original music for the movies/specials (except Fusion Reborn and parts of History of Trunks) , but Faulconer for the series.

Vidmusc
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Vidmusc » Thu Apr 02, 2015 7:18 pm

While I do like some of the bands featured in the FUNi dubs of the movies (Pantera, Disturbed, Drowning Pool), none of it fits for DBZ. The Kikuchi score definitely fits the best. It represents DBZ in my personal opinion.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:00 pm

I definitely agree with this, though the only movie that didn't really nailed it was Move 4(Lord Slug). All of the other ones Funi did was perfect, with Movie 8 and the Trunks Special having the most amazing "unofficial" rock soundtrack ever. Those two movies, I never want to see them with the original music playing in the background. EVER!
Last edited by EXBadguy on Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:03 pm

I honestly never liked Funimation's decision to use actual rock bands in their movie soundtracks. I can understand that people who enjoy the band/music might like the addition, but to me it always came off like a bad AMV.
Trans rights, now!

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:07 pm

I did like the track they placed during Trunks' transformation in the History of Trunks special, but other than that, never really cared for their replacement tracks, don't like it, don't hate it, just not my kind of thing.

BlackCatScott
Regular

Post by BlackCatScott » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:09 pm

I liked the soundtracks for Coolers Revenge and Broly The Legendary Super Saiyan. Some good songs in there.

Also, I don't know if anybodys noticed but on the re-mastered version of Coolers Revenge (on the steelbook) the music appears to have been edited in again and the timing, placement and whatnot is nowhere near as good as it used to be. This really bugs me because I did actually like the music in that movie.

SonEric84
Banned

Post by SonEric84 » Thu Apr 02, 2015 9:13 pm

Oh, now that I think about it, in the dub of History of Trunks, I liked the song they used for the end/credits.
Trans rights, now!