Bardock Special Music

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Bardock Special Music

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:00 pm

A few weeks ago, I rewatched the Bardock special, since I had not seen it in a long time. Because I had never watched it with the Japanese score, I decided to do so. All I can say is, "Wow." I thought the music was done very, very well-- and despite not being generally a fan of Kikuchi's stuff, I have to say the Bardock music is definitely an exception!

That said, I'd like to know what pieces of the score are available. Because I'm not at all familiar with the Japanese music, I'm not sure where in the Daizenshuu or in the BGM Collection I should listen to hear the Bardock special music.

Thus, I'd like to ask: do any of you know what's been released, and where it can be found? The reason I ask is because I'd like to create a mini-album of sorts that has just the Bardock special music in it. It would naturally include "Solid State Scouter" and "Hikari no Tabi"... but I have no idea what else to put there.

Thanks!

This question is for you, Kenisu! What music is played when in the special? That'd be great for ordering the music chronologically!

DB1984
Banned

Re: Bardock Special Music

Post by DB1984 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:07 pm

http://kenisu.webs.com/dragonballzbgm.htm

I'm not Kenisu, but scroll down to where it says "Special 1".

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:10 pm

Yeah, it's a lot of the best BGM from the Saiyan arc along with DBZ movies 1-3. Sets the tone perfectly. Amazing selection and placemen throughout.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

VenomSymbiote
Patreon Supporter

Post by VenomSymbiote » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:12 pm

DB1984 wrote:http://kenisu.webs.com/dragonballzbgm.htm

I'm not Kenisu, but scroll down to where it says "Special 1".
Oh, so that's where it was! I had looked there earlier but clearly I missed it. Thank you!

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:31 am

As far as the unreleased cues go, here are YouTube links, if that helps any. (I don't know where you'd find the mp3s.)

Goku Approaches The Castle (Movie 1)
It's Dr. Willow's Fault (Movie 2)
The Shinseiju Is Grown (Movie 3)
Oozaru Gohan Whacks Goku (Movie 3)
Preserving Dr. Willow's Brain (Movie 2)
Dr. Kochin Explains Their Power (Movie 2)
The Bird-Bots Threaten Roshi (Movie 2)
Dr. Willow Is Introduced (Movie 2)
The Shinseiju Is Unharmed! (Movie 3)

Also, be aware that unlike what it says in my documentation, the version of "Garlic Jr.'s Henchmen Introduce Themselves" that plays toward the end (when Bardock vows to change the future) is the version exclusively found on the BGM Collection, which I got before I understood how alternates worked; so when I initially noticed a discrepancy between that and the 5-disc set version, I figured that cue was just the same recording edited in a funny way.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 2:49 am

On the topic of unreleased DBZ Movie 1 cues, I LOVE this one (M802). It was used very effectively as "To Be Continued" music in early episodes of DBZ.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCUhcNm ... be&t=0m00s

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:42 am

I'm usually nitpicky when it comes to leitmotifs being reused for other material, but considering the series already takes thematic ideas from completely different things in the movies (which is to be expected, given Kikuchi can't just come in and compose a gigantic library of unique music for various episodes all the time), it's not a big deal when the specials do it as well, even if part of me wishes they got full original scores.

I like how the Tree of Might's theme is used for Bardock and his visions, and Wheelo's is kind of used to represent the familiar. Basically everything that's going to be of some significance in the future Bardock sees. The use of Kami's theme from Dead Zone for when Bardock has that vision of Goku on Namek was also really well placed. It isn't just a random placement of older music. There's a genuine attempt to create a thematic identity for certain things in the special, even if the material utilized was originally composed for completely different subjects.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:14 am

It was Toei's idea to have Kikuchi record new music for mostly only the movies, because it saved recording session costs. This applies to other Toei Animes with different composers.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Post by Captain-Sora » Mon Dec 07, 2015 11:41 am

DB1984 wrote:It was Toei's idea to have Kikuchi record new music for mostly only the movies, because it saved recording session costs. This applies to other Toei Animes with different composers.
I know, I am familiar with the approach and the reason why it is done. I was just lamenting a little on how the specials were a bit shortchanged as well (barring Bardock being blessed with Solid State Scouter), given that they're two unique entities separate of the series, and it would have been interesting to see what unique thematic material could have been applied there.

Videlphia76ers
Beyond Newbie

Post by Videlphia76ers » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:14 pm

I honestly thought Funimation's licensed score with Caviar at the ending monologue was insanely cool for a cartoon.
Cool dudes do cool stuff like 5 Chipotle burritos