Comparing Sumitomo's soundtracks

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Comparing Sumitomo's soundtracks

Post by Dbzfan94 » Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:33 pm

Black_Liger wrote:
Lol i just sometimes write the first name that comes into my mind, i sometimes use Bulla and others I use Bra. I do indeed prefer Freeza spelling over Frieza
Same here. I switch between 'Kay-o-Ken' and 'Kaioken' randomly because I'm used to both

Edit: Wow, filters are actually gone?? Turles Pikkon Korin Frieza

Edit 2: they are! Wow! Surprising I thought that would never happen

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:55 pm

So, the Super OST is out today, is that correct?

Also....Frieza Korin Tien Fasha Hercule Turles. Huh, so that's a thing now.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Feb 24, 2016 2:03 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:Also....Frieza Korin Tien Fasha Hercule Turles. Huh, so that's a thing now.
The pandora's box has been opened.

MozillaVulpix
Regular

Post by MozillaVulpix » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:38 pm

Listening to all the OST together...I still don't like it overall. The tracks that I ended up liking were 11, 13, 14, 29, 30, 34, 43, 44, 54, 59, 60, and 62. Everything else was either passable or just bad.

I feel like the tracks themselves don't always suit what's going on in the story. For an example, why does the first Super Saiyan Blue appearance have such an inspiring track accompanying it? It's completely at odds with the narrative. Goku doesn't make a big deal out of the transformation. In fact, he seems to do everything to minimise how amazing it is. But the music makes us think it's awesome. So...mixed messages, much?

I'm sure I'm beating a dead horse at this point.
I could have gotten into anything...and yet I chose the story aimed at young Japanese boys about martial arts, and later about super-powerful aliens punching each other really hard.

https://www.youtube.com/c/MozillaVulpix

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:41 pm

Hey, so, like, please stop posting links to the whole soundtrack :(.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:42 pm

Anyone has had any luck of finding any of the tracks uploaded to youtube or other streams?. Cuz I haven´t. I really wanna listen to the full super saiyan god ritual music :P
VegettoEX wrote:Hey, so, like, please stop posting links to the whole soundtrack :(.
Those are on amazon japan so I thought they would be fine to share as they were on the site too :C. Is it ok to ask for the youtube link of a single track? :O
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:59 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Hey, so, like, please stop posting links to the whole soundtrack :(.
Soz, boss.

I still hold my original opinion in my post that was removed that the soundtrack was quite a mixed bag but there are several tracks in there that are really something special. Specifically speaking track 7, 10, 11, 12, 16, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 57, 58, 59, 60, 62 and 66.
Last edited by Lord Beerus on Thu Feb 25, 2016 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:23 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Soz, boss.

I still hold my original opinion in my post that was removed that the soundtrack was quite a mixed bag but there are several tracks in there that are really something special. Specifically speaking track 7, 10, 11, 12, 16, 25, 28, 29, 30, 31, 57, 58, 59, 60, 62 and 66.
I noticed something very interesting. In the anime track 14 lacked the choir yet it's in the official ost release
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 2:32 am

I gave a listen to the whole soundtrack, I must say it´s very enjoyable... there´s a certain taboo regarding Sumitomo´s music, you either love it or hate it, and there´s a lot of backlash, however once you get over it, you will definitely warm up towards his score, I hope he delivers on the next arc. I particularly don´t enjoy his synth-work too much, but I guess it´s not so bad once you stop comparing it with the other composers.

That said, by the names of the tracks, I can tell the sound director clearly does not follow... There is a Beerus´ equivalent track to the Champa theme... Beeru´s madness. That´s right, it´s not the sci fi woosh sound played for the majority of his scenes, it´s a upbeat frenzied track that kinda reminds you of the champa theme when you compared the two, and the first time this was used... was for a flashback of Goku turning super saiyan.... and it almost never played on Beerus´centric scenes. The jaco theme was also played during Goku vs Freeza, the pilaf gang new theme was freaking played for Goten and Trunks antics and even Buu and mr satan!!. That´s why the music on those scenes were so fucking out of place. The music placement is nowhere near as bad as Nagasaki´s placements on Kai, but they butchering Sumitomo´s score. Like Naruto6583 said, a track even has choir on the release, but the choir was never used on the anime....

Still have my gripes against Sumitomo, but I guess this release has made me warm up a bit to him.

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 26, 2016 4:10 pm

Well, I had a listen through that playlist was posted here, so these track numbers correspond to the listings on there:

Track that feel somewhat appropriate for Dragon Ball:
10 - Super Saiyan God
11 - Compromise
13 - Beerus’ Tea Time
28 - I’m the Best in the World
29 - The Infinite Universe
34 - CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Days of Battle) (obviously)
43 - The Gods of Destruction Selection Tournament
57 - A Break in the Battle
62 - Endless Training
67 - Space is Vast!!
69 - Mysterious Alien #2

Arguably too dark for a show like Dragon Ball, but very good all the same:
14 - Beerus’ Madness
30 - The Birth of a God
54 - Golden Freeza’s Theme (Really like this)

Guilty Pleasures:
41 - Pleasant Days
45 - The Fatso Waltz

Everything else is either terrible or too bland to fit on either list.

I feel like many of Sumitomo's melodies are ruined by the need to have a constant pumping bass riff underneath it all. Even worse, the bass riff is usually very electronic sounding. It's a sound that just doesn't fit with the show.

He's such a frustrating composer. The fact that I only like about 16 out of the 70 tracks on the CD is pretty telling. He just needs to dump all of those awful synth tracks in the trash, bury the bass guitar in the back garden, and stick to fully orchestral pieces.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:30 pm

Ajay wrote:Well, I had a listen through that playlist was posted here, so these track numbers correspond to the listings on there:

Track that feel somewhat appropriate for Dragon Ball:
10 - Super Saiyan God
11 - Compromise
13 - Beerus’ Tea Time
28 - I’m the Best in the World
29 - The Infinite Universe
34 - CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Days of Battle) (obviously)
43 - The Gods of Destruction Selection Tournament
57 - A Break in the Battle
62 - Endless Training
67 - Space is Vast!!
69 - Mysterious Alien #2

Arguably too dark for a show like Dragon Ball, but very good all the same:
14 - Beerus’ Madness
30 - The Birth of a God
54 - Golden Freeza’s Theme (Really like this)

Guilty Pleasures:
41 - Pleasant Days
45 - The Fatso Waltz

Everything else is either terrible or too bland to fit on either list.

I feel like many of Sumitomo's melodies are ruined by the need to have a constant pumping bass riff underneath it all. Even worse, the bass riff is usually very electronic sounding. It's a sound that just doesn't fit with the show.

He's such a frustrating composer. The fact that I only like about 16 out of the 70 tracks on the CD is pretty telling. He just needs to dump all of those awful synth tracks in the trash, bury the bass guitar in the back garden, and stick to fully orchestral pieces.
So can we both agree that track 10, 11, 28, 29, 30, 57 and 62 are the best tracks on the Super OST?

ekrolo2
Kicks it Old-School

Post by ekrolo2 » Fri Feb 26, 2016 5:57 pm

Believe in Yourself & Toward Tomorrow aren't on your lists?!

When someone tells you, "Don't present your opinion as fact," what they're actually saying is, "Don't present your opinion with any conviction. Because I don't like your opinion, and I want to be able to dismiss it as easily as possible." Don't fall for it.

How the Black Arc Should End (by Lightbing!):

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:37 pm

ekrolo2 wrote:Believe in Yourself & Toward Tomorrow aren't on your lists?!
Nah, they sound like Yamamoto's worst video game tracks put through the worst instruments on earth.
Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:52 pm

Ajay wrote:He's such a frustrating composer. The fact that I only like about 16 out of the 70 tracks on the CD is pretty telling. He just needs to dump all of those awful synth tracks in the trash, bury the bass guitar in the back garden, and stick to fully orchestral pieces.
A thousand times yes to this. Someone in Toei really needs to have word in Sumitomo's ear and tell him to focus solely on full orchestral pieces, where he seems to truly shine, as supposed to instead of wasting energy on all the synthesized shit he puts together. I was reminded one too many times of Crash Bandicoot listening to some of these tracks. And while I love Crash Bandicoot, I don't want its type of music anywhere near Dragon Ball in any remote sense.

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Fri Feb 26, 2016 7:19 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:
Ajay wrote:He's such a frustrating composer. The fact that I only like about 16 out of the 70 tracks on the CD is pretty telling. He just needs to dump all of those awful synth tracks in the trash, bury the bass guitar in the back garden, and stick to fully orchestral pieces.
A thousand times yes to this. Someone in Toei really needs to have word in Sumitomo's ear and tell him to focus solely on full orchestral pieces, where he seems to truly shine, as supposed to instead of wasting energy on all the synthesized shit he puts together. I was reminded one too many times of Crash Bandicoot listening to some of these tracks. And while I love Crash Bandicoot, I don't want its type of music anywhere near Dragon Ball in any remote sense.
This, all of my yes to both of you, Orchestral!Sumitomo >>>>>> Synth!Sumitomo. By far.

Darkblade1995
Beyond Newbie

Post by Darkblade1995 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 7:15 am

I just realised that track 11 sounds a lot like vegeta's sacrifice theme from Buu-Kai.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Sat Feb 27, 2016 5:46 pm

My order:
1. Resurrection ‘F
2. Battle of Gods
3. Super
4. Kai Buu saga
Comparison of Super and Resurrection ‘F since everyone here thinks that Resurrection ‘F is Sumitomo's worst Dragon Ball work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aje8FKHwRpQ

gregoryluis09
Beyond Newbie

Post by gregoryluis09 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:37 pm

This is the best song Sumitomo ever composed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZD06f767g :lol:

Freeza9000
Advanced Regular

Post by Freeza9000 » Wed Nov 23, 2016 6:48 pm

DHM211 wrote:Comparison of Super and Resurrection ‘F since everyone here thinks that Resurrection ‘F is Sumitomo's worst Dragon Ball work:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aje8FKHwRpQ
Ehh, I'm not really a big fan of the over-the-top choir music that played in the movie. I don't even think the Freeza death scene warrants that type of theme.