Dragon Ball Godly Best

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

TripleRach

Dragon Ball Godly Best

Post by TripleRach » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:34 pm

(If there was already another dedicated thread for this album, point it out and I'll merge them.)

We now have some cover art and a listing for the contents of the bonus DVD in the collector's edition.

http://columbia.jp/dragonball30/

The DVD will include the opening videos for all seven TV themes:
  1. Dragon Ball: Makafushigi Adventure
  2. Dragon Ball Z: Cha-La Head-Cha-La
  3. Dragon Ball Z: We Gotta Power
  4. Dragon Ball GT: Dan Dan Kokoro Hikarete'ku
  5. Dragon Ball Kai: Dragon Soul
  6. Dragon Ball Kai: Kuu-Zen-Zetsu-Go
  7. Dragon Ball Super: Chouzetsu Dynamic
There's still no actual track list for the CD, but it sure would be nice if we really got all the openings and endings compiled together. Especially for the GT and Boo Kai themes.
-Rachel

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Dragon Ball Godly Best

Post by dbgtFO » Thu Feb 04, 2016 1:35 pm

TripleRach wrote:(If there was already another dedicated thread for this album, point it out and I'll merge them.)
http://www.kanzenshuu.com/forum/viewtop ... 12&t=32654
Well there's this thread, which you yourself posted in :P

TripleRach

Post by TripleRach » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:48 am

Yeah, I remember that thread, but it doesn't really have anything to do with this album. Godly Best is an anniversary vocal album that covers the entire franchise, while that thread is specifically about music from Super. The Super OST does have the same release date though, and is also still lacking a tracklist.
-Rachel

dbgtFO
Kicks it Old-School

Post by dbgtFO » Fri Feb 05, 2016 2:58 am

TripleRach wrote:Yeah, I remember that thread, but it doesn't really have anything to do with this album. Godly Best is an anniversary vocal album that covers the entire franchise, while that thread is specifically about music from Super. The Super OST does have the same release date though, and is also still lacking a tracklist.
Ha, that's what I get for trying to be a wiseass. I wasn't sure myself, whether or not the two were discussing the same thing, but the release dates were the same, so I ran a risk, but got burned :lol:

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:40 am

I wonder if CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA is the original by Kageyama, or the godawful Flow remake?

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Feb 07, 2016 5:48 pm

DB1984 wrote:I wonder if CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA is the original by Kageyama, or the godawful Flow remake?
I thought Flow remake was pretty good. Nowhere near as good as the original version by Kageyama, but still a good version in its own right.

kei17
I Live Here

Post by kei17 » Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:26 am

How many freaking times has Head-Cha-La been released on CD in total? I'm enough of re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-re-releases of these vocal songs. I NEED GODDAMN SOUNDTRACKS.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:03 pm

The fact that the bonus DVD includes "DAN DAN" along with the other openings gives me hope that, after 20 years, they've finally assembled the GT opening and ending songs onto a single album. That alone will be worth a purchase from me.

And if we can get "Orange Hero" and the Dragon Ball Heroes songs on top of that, I'll be giddy. I don't really care for the Buu-Kai ending themes, but I suppose I'd rather have them than not.
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:13 pm

MagicBox wrote:The fact that the bonus DVD includes "DAN DAN" along with the other openings gives me hope that, after 20 years, they've finally assembled the GT opening and ending songs onto a single album. That alone will be worth a purchase from me.

And if we can get "Orange Hero" and the Dragon Ball Heroes songs on top of that, I'll be giddy. I don't really care for the Buu-Kai ending themes, but I suppose I'd rather have them than not.
I'm hoping for something like that too since the cd singles for GT are getting hard to find nowadays. I think that we could get that with Orange Hero, but I highly doubt they would include the Dragon Ball Heroes songs. They'll probably just add the God Mission song (and future heroes songs) on a CD single as a limited edition if it doesn't get its own separate release. As for the Buu Arc Kai stuff, I highly doubt we'll see any of the Buu Arc Kai endings except for maybe Dear Zarathustra and Pure Heart.

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Tue Feb 09, 2016 11:56 pm

SSGSS Goku wrote:I'm hoping for something like that too since the cd singles for GT are getting hard to find nowadays.
Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't even try to track those down. It's way easier (and possibly cheaper) to just research the artists (Field Of View, Shizuka Kudō, DEEN, ZARD, WANDS, ALL CAPS) and find more recent, in-print compilation albums of theirs that recycle the GT songs. For example, this album includes GT's opening theme and is currently less than $10 on Amazon Japan. That's my current back-up plan.

Of course, I definitely agree with you. If the "Godly Best" album is doing what I hope it's doing, that's WAY better than having to track down five separate CDs to assemble the GT stuff.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:38 pm

MagicBox wrote:
SSGSS Goku wrote:I'm hoping for something like that too since the cd singles for GT are getting hard to find nowadays.
Honestly, at this point, I wouldn't even try to track those down. It's way easier (and possibly cheaper) to just research the artists (Field Of View, Shizuka Kudō, DEEN, ZARD, WANDS, ALL CAPS) and find more recent, in-print compilation albums of theirs that recycle the GT songs. For example, this album includes GT's opening theme and is currently less than $10 on Amazon Japan. That's my current back-up plan.

Of course, I definitely agree with you. If the "Godly Best" album is doing what I hope it's doing, that's WAY better than having to track down five separate CDs to assemble the GT stuff.
True, but if they don't do that, then it might actually be easier to get a Japanese iTunes card from Play-Asia, make a Japanese iTunes account, and you can buy the songs separately rather than getting a whole bunch of albums for just a few songs.
DAN DAN Kokoro Hikarete ‘ku: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/singl ... id74964445 (track 5)
Hitori ja Nai: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/singl ... id75719671 (track 9)
Don't you see!: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/zard- ... d260621968 (track 1)
Blue Velvet: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/blue- ... =261580430 (track 6 on disk 2)
Sabitsuita Mashingan de Ima o Uchinukō: https://itunes.apple.com/jp/album/compl ... id74996298 (track 9)

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Feb 11, 2016 10:10 am

I'm pretty happy with the track listing. Not surprised to see that they couldn't include all the GT and Kai songs since there were so many. I got really pissed when I didn't see movies 12 and 13 on the first disc, but then I saw them at the end of the second (I am definitely going to reorder the tracks when I burn them to my PC). I wanted to finally see a Dragon Ball CD with GT songs, but of course, the first two ending themes aren't there (the two I like the most!). I'm not mad since I own "Don't you see!" on at least 3 ZARD CDs, but it's still my favorite song and I would have liked to see it there (ZARD and DEEN are both a part of B-Gram Records, maybe it's them holding back). Overall, not too bad. Looking forward to listening through the set when it arrives!
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Feb 11, 2016 3:00 pm

I was kind of hoping against logic that they'd skip the movie themes and make room for some of the rarer stuff like "Orange Hero" (Besides, "Legend Of DragonWorld" is still available if you want a "TV & Movie Themes" album). I knew it wasn't going to happen, though. This is a "Best Of" album; we more-or-less knew what we'd be getting.

I've already bought every song on disc #1 and half of disc #2 at least three times, but because I held off on buying the GT/Kai/Super singles, this album is still a no-brainer purchase for me. I wouldn't have minded if they had just ignored the 2013/2015 movie themes altogether in favor of squeezing those last couple GT themes onto the second disc, but it's a miracle we got as much as we did.

The only songs I still need to buy are the GT/Kai/Super themes, so I'll probably just throw the following into my next Amazon Japan order...

- This "Godly Best" Album
- The "Pure Heart" Single
- A DEEN album that contains "I'm Not Alone"
- A ZARD album that contains "Don't You See!"

... and call it a day. More work than it should be, but this album undeniably makes it easier.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Thu Feb 11, 2016 5:38 pm

Just saw the track list. I'm very surprised that they actually included all of the Kai endings except for Pure Heart, as they made a DB Kai cover for the cd. Anyways, I'm a little bit upset that this is an incomplete cd, but they may not have been able to get these songs due to licensing issues. They probably forgot about Orange Hero or something like that, or it could've been because of licensing. I'm still curious about Pure Heart, since they were able to get Galaxy and Don't let me Down!, and they are owned by the same record label (Victor Entertainment), but why not Pure Heart?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:10 pm

At 19 tracks per disc, they more than likely just ran out of space and didn't want to produce a 3-CD set.

As for how they decided which songs to be cut, your guess is as good as mine. I would suspect that the GT songs required a bit of extra cash to sub-license from a different record label, but I don't know enough about the subject to say for sure.

SSGSS Goku
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SSGSS Goku » Thu Feb 11, 2016 6:20 pm

Yeah, especially since they already have a 2CD+1DVD limited edition coming out, meaning 3 disks and I'm sure they don't want a 4 disk set. However, if they did want to do a third CD, then I think a good track list would be
1. I'm not alone
2. Don't you see
3. Pure Heart
4. Orange Hero
5. Hero -Song of Hope-
6. F
7-19. Fan favorite insert songs

Gyt Kaliba
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Gyt Kaliba » Thu Feb 11, 2016 9:11 pm

I'm actually kind of disappointed by it missing a few key notable songs, since I was considering importing this if it actually contained everything (as far as opening/endings went), but now...I dunno, I still might at some point, but it just dropped a fair way down my purchasing list.

The only one it's missing that I'm not disappointed out, but only because I halfway forgot about it/didn't expect it in the first place, is Orange Hero. We never did get a full version of that (to the point that I'm wondering if a longer version even exists), so I'm not surprised to see it left off.
AniManga Travelogue - Currently Reviewing: Dragon Ball (Z)
Twitter
Switch Friend Code: SW-0745-6427-7791 (let's play some Dragon Ball: The Breakers!)

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Feb 25, 2016 8:24 pm

Just got mine in today. So far, so good. I'm happy I went with the limited edition (I'm pretty sure it was cheaper than the regular 2-disc version) because the album art is a LITTLE nicer. (this whole release seems like it was put together last minute). I think the DVD would have been nice if they included all the themes. Obviously, we wouldn't get creditless versions of some songs because they probably don't exist, but it's a 12-minute DVD, they definitely had the room. Didn't GT have a creditless opening on the Dragon Box? Could they really not rip it from a DVD or something?
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:41 pm

One question I have:

Are these full length or TV size songs?

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Sat Mar 05, 2016 1:51 pm

They're all full size.