Am I the only person here who dislikes the Faulconer score?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Am I the only person here who dislikes the Faulconer sco

Post by Naruto6583 » Mon Apr 11, 2016 12:08 pm

Valerius Dover wrote:It's definitely not nostalgia for me, though. I never saw the series as a kid. I just happen to have a really broad taste overall, and Team Faulconer's score happens to appeal to me. But so do the others. I mean, it is possible to like more than one interpretation after all.
Same here while I do like the score I don't like it constantly playing. I know why they did it but it just grates on me to hear that now. Probably because i'm so use to the silence in the japanese version
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

Thanos
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Thanos » Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:53 pm

I was under the impression that most on this site do dislike it, though perhaps the tide has turned in recent years.

For what its function was and as a whole, I dislike it. I've perused Scott Morgan's channel and I enjoy his side of things and a few others from the soundtracks, but purely as things to listen to on their own... I'm a purist of the original and the Faulconer soundtrack is not needed. There are some nice tracks, but when it comes to replacing the existing Kikuchi score I object to it.
Thanos before Thanos was cool.

Steven Bloodriver
I Live Here

Post by Steven Bloodriver » Sat Apr 16, 2016 2:27 pm

While I don't really dislike Bruce Faulconer's musical score, I much prefer the original Japanese than the American version of the music made to be played in Dragon Ball related animation, games, commercials, and everything else Toei Animation (and others) produce for us to see and buy.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:13 am

I'm in the "Like the tracks; dislike their usage" camp.

Tons of the songs are catchy, but they honestly sound better on their own, without the show being played. The music just doesn't fit the show.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Sat May 07, 2016 10:52 am

I dislike it in the series, I would never watch Dragon Ball with Faulconer score.
But! In Legacy Of Goku games, the music is somehow suitable perfectly and I like it probably more than most of the Japanese game scores (except for Kenji Yamamoto).
It somehow sounds pretty good with Game Boy Advance sound performance. Kudos to the arranger who made the music for the game.
The normal Faulconer score, HELL NO! I don't like the sound and the way it is arranged and non-fitting the series.
But in Legacy of Goku, it was my favorite and I did rip it via emulator as elementary schooler into mp3's and burned them on a CD.
It has actually some cool themes and good melodies.

So in the end, I must say that Faulconer Productions did some really cool video game score.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Ohms
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Ohms » Fri May 13, 2016 6:50 pm

Personally I like the Japanese score more but I don't hate the falconer score at all, in fact I think there are some really great character themes in there and for certain moments I'd argue that the Falcouner score even out preformed Kickuchi's. That being the average Falconer track isn't very good but when it's good it's really good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWJMVo8ECsM this track in particular is one of my favorite peaceful songs in the franchise
Youtube reviewing channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/MegaFeeso

I am also an editor for the One Pace fan edit project on AP

I usually go by Feeso, my user name is only Ohms here because I couldn't select Feeso for some reason. haha XD

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:31 am

Everyone here is echoing more or less how I feel, but just to be clear: Listened to Faulconer's track on original Toonami broadcast AND the original soundtrack on the International Channel whilst a wee eight year old. Absolutely could tell the difference and definitely preferred Kikuchi. Never went back after I got hold of any home releases.

THAT BEING SAID! Faulconer's tunes were often stuck in my head. Not only would I catch myself humming them aloud just as often as Kikuchi's, I alsoooooo tended to get them confused with Robert Prince's tracks from the original Doom on PC. Yeah... that really speaks for itself.

Faulconer's score? It's got some decent additions for your library. As a replacement to DBZ's glorious BGM? Not in a million years.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★