Track By Track, the Complete Song Collection Box

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Track By Track, the Complete Song Collection Box

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 14, 2016 1:09 am

Hello all!

Haven't posted much here as of late, but I saved up a good chunk of moolah and bought a used Complete Song Collection Box, or the (“Chōzenshū”), originally released back in 2008. Some of these songs are near and dear to my heart, and I used to download them (sorry!) back a few years ago when I was heavily into the series and the music. And since I got this badboy, I figured I'd go down all 13(!) discs and give my thoughts on each image/insert/theme song. I'll try my best to cover a disc or so a day, and I would LOVE to hear you guys chime in! I feel like since this set came out these songs have kind have become obscure, but that's only me.

And away we go!

Disc 1: Contains tracks from Hit Song Collections 1 & 2

Track 1: CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Hironobu Kageyama): Seriously, at this point what hasn't been said about this song? An exciting opening (though the break in the middle where the TV size version would end has always been ominous to me) that will be timeless forever. This song hasn't felt all that dated to me, unlike Mystical Adventure which probably would have sounded dated in 1986. Always a great jam track.

Track 2: Doragon Wārudo e Yōkoso!/Welcome to the Dragon World! (Waffle): A word I would use to describe the first two Hit Song Collections would be spacey. A lot of neat synths and cool instruments used. I don't believe Waffle ever performed any of the image songs for the original series, so a very welcome entry. A nice song to revisit that eventually will see a remix down the line.

Track 3: Mama wa Shiawase Inotte ‘ru/Mom is Wishing For Happiness (Waffle & Mayumi Sho): Prior to really watching the series subtitled, I didn't really realize how many seiyuu did musical performances. And while Mayumi Sho is only saying very mother-like things in this song, not a bad voice! For me, a bit of a forgettable song.

Track 4: Aitsu wa Son Gokū/He's Son Goku (Hironobu Kageyama & Waffle): If you ever happen to have this song on your phone or music device driving around, please turn it on. The stereo effect in the beginning is just so wide sounding and vibrant. This doesn't seem to be a song I would think of when I think of Son Goku, as my loyalties lie to Child Goku so my first inclination is to go to the Son Goku Song. The break with Waffle (and more stereo) is very spacey, again! Love the guitar work in this, and could have benefited from a small guitar solo.

Track 5: Eien no Chikyū/Eternal Earth (Waffle): The first slow ballad(?) we see, and will not be the last. Don't care for Waffle's vocals on this, but the trumpet (or so it sounds) solo is very pleasant on the ears.

Track 6: Shura-Iro no Senshi/Battle-Colored Warriors (Koji Kaya): For me, the best song on this first disc. I feel that this song gets shoved aside the other insert songs like Unmei no Hi or Battle Point Unlimited. Back when I wanted to try and mess the musical effects and add chorus, reverb, change pitches like crazy, etc, this is a song I could come to. A killer bass line, and I love the pounding vocals, and I can't help of that image of Goku wearing the Saiya-jin armor when I hear it. Sad to see Koji Kaya was never featured again.

Track 7: Moero! Doragon Sorujāzu/Burn, Dragon Soldiers! (Jun’ichirō Oda): I believe this song was added on the 3rd disc of the Daizenshuu 5 CD set, and an interesting choice. Don't love the vocals on this, and would have much preferred Kageyama, but a nice synth solo.

Track 8: Toraburu Sāfin/Trouble Surfing (Ushio Hashimoto): I will be honest, I used to love this song. From it's saloon piano intro to the nice guitar rhythm, it's a fun song. Listening to it now, I kind of find it boring. I have always and will always love I'll Give You Romance, so I'm more than happy to listen to Hashimoto sing, but not one of her better songs.

Track 9: Tenka’ichi Gohan/The World’s Greatest Gohan (Masako Nozawa): I. Can't. Stand. This. Song. I don't get why! As I just mentioned above, I love Nozawa singing as Child Goku, but I've always hated this song! And yes, while I realize it's supposed to be a drunk Gohan, just blaaaargh. I guess it goes better with the animation from Movie 1, but still. Atrocious.

Track 10: Jōshiki Nante NA*I*SA/No Common Sense at All (Hironobu Kageyama): Great guitar work, and love the horns and background vocals. Would love to hear this performed live someday. Interesting glass break at the end?

Track 11: Ōmori Raisu Boi/A Big Serving of the Rice Boy (Hironobu Kageyma & BROADWAY): Hit 2 is a mix of slow to medium paced songs, and fast like this. Another nice guitar part (I play the guitar, so I apologize for the bias), but the Eddie Van Halen nerd in me is dying for this to crank up the reverb and melt some faces! Not something that I'll likely revisit.

Track 12: Koko Kara FROM THE HOME PLANET EARTH/From Here on Earth (Hironobu Kageyma & Broadway): Remember the slow songs I mentioned? Here ya go. A beautiful piano and strings opening. I love Kageyama on almost everything, and while there are some times I would prefer it be someone rather then him (sue me!) on slower tunes, he does great on this. Background vocals are boring, and the slap bass in the background is a bit out of place.

Track 13: Mirai Chizu/Future Map (Hironobu Kageyma & BROADWAY): Another slow, but picks up! I'm likely the biggest Journey fan you're ever going to meet, and this song sounds like something that would be right up their alley around the Escape album era or so. Now all we need is a Kageyama and Steve Perry duet and we got ourselves one hell of a show.

Track 14: Tenka-Muteki no Furukōsu/A Full Course Unrivaled in the World (Hironobu Kageyama & BROADWAY): This song is cheesy sounding, but oh so great. Nice piano work. I love this song so much, but I don't really have much to say about it.

Track 15: Fly high (Hironobu Kageyama & BROADWAY): Back when I used to play drums, this was always a favorite to play. So fast and pounding and the guitar player is also great again here with some nice dive bombs. Didn't know for the longest time this song actually shows up in the TV series! The keyboard solo is very jumbled and should have been replaced by a guitar solo, but that's just me.

Track 16: ALL ALONE (Hironobu Kageyama & BROADWAY): Another slow Kageyama song. Another slap bass appearance I don't quite understand, along with more boring background vocals. A beautiful piano solo however, and the guitar finally gets a shot to shine for a brief moment!

Track 17: 1 ♥ Kōnen/One Heart Light-Year (Hironobu Kageyama & Broadway): Another one I've always really liked, and hey, a nice guitar solo to boot. I'm not entirely sure who BROADWAY is, but if they're doing the background vocals...let's hope they aren't heard from again.

As I said, I'd love to hear your opinions on any of the songs on this set or any of the songs I mentioned and where you agree or disagree with me!

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: Track By Track, the Complete Song Collection Box

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jul 16, 2016 6:38 pm

Disc 2: Contains tracks from Hit Song Collections 3-5

Track 1: Dancing in the space (Waffle & Tricky Shirai): Hit 3 is another spacey album. Tricky Shirai does not thrill me as a vocalist, but another good perfomance with Waffle that really should have just been her. Nice jam.

Track 2: Cosmic Chinese Melody (Waffle): Starts out almost like with a marimba sounding instrument before it kicks in with a nice drum beat. Waffle is able to really show off her vocals in this one. A little "Kiss me, Hold me" in there too, which is interesting since Cosmic Chinese Melody doesn't come off as too romantic.

Track 3: Good night my Blue (Waffle): A gorgeous beginning, just a synth and Waffle. Reminds me of something that will come up around the Hit 6 portion, such as Yume no Kakera.

Track 4: Bad Boy (Ushio Hashimoto): While the stereo effect of Hashimoto saying "Bad boy" is cool, that's about where it ends with this song. It sounds like something from Mickey's Speedway on N64! I really don't think Hashimoto belongs on a faster song, and while she has a beautiful voice, it belongs on a ballad.

Track 5: Arashi no Zenchō ~Mugon no Zawameki~/Sign of a Storm: Silent Noise (Tricky Shirai): The beginning of this song sounds like it is going to go in several different directions, but heads for a pretty steady pace and stays there. The bits at the beginning actually back around in the chorus which is pretty neat. I don't really favor Shirai as a vocalist, but whoever does the "do-do-do-" backing (maybe someone from KUKO) is awesome.

Track 6: Supēsu Dansu/Space Dance (Waffle): More space dancing! A groovy bass line, something like "Let's Dance" by David Bowie. The last minute or so is just grooving, and I have no idea if it's just my CD, but it sounds like CHA-LA-HEAD-CHA-LA literally starts playing during the end of the song...I'll have to check into that.

Track 7: Ikusa (I-KU-SA)/The Battle (Kageyama): GET IT! It's so hard to listen to this song now and not think or be tempted to listen to Boogie Wonderland by Earth, Wind, and Fire. Not one of the better movie endings I'd say.

Track 8: Pikkoro-san Da~isuki/I Lo~ve Mr. Piccolo (Masako Nozawa): This is slightly more bearable than Tenkaichi Gohan, probably because the actual instrumentation is much better. But only slightly.

Track 9: Soriddo Sutēto Sukautā/Solid State Scouter (Dragon Magic Orchestra): Have always looooooved this song. Guitar solo is a beauty and whenever it plays in the Bardock special it's fantastic. I wonder though, this is really just an instrumental (yes, I know TOKIO is saying battle powers but c'mon, that's not vocals) and this was included on the set, but NOT Battle Point Unlimited?

Track 10: O-tassha Poruka/The Healthy Polka (Kohei Miyauchi): Holy shit I love this song. I've always loved Kame-sennin's original seiyuu (RIP) and his image song for the original TV series is also great. An addicting rhythm.

Track 11: Asa – Hiru – Yoru – Kimi – Boku/Morning – Daytime – Night – You – Me (Miyumi Tanaka): I really don't know what to think about this song, as a Kuririn image song. I know it won't be the last, but after starting One Piece recently...Luffy is singing to me.

Track 12: Fuke Yo Kaze Yobe Yo Shenron!!/Blow, Wind! Call Out, Shenlong!! (Pink Dragon): After seeing this was on the Character Special Hit Collection, I was hoping it would be Kenji Utsumi singing in-character. I'm disappointed, and want my money back. It's a nice jam session though.

Track 13: Share ‘reba Inochi no Izumi Waku-Waku!!/If I Tell a Joke, It’s an Exciting Fountain of Life!! (Joji Yanami): Whoever picked the characters for these songs deserves a promotion at whatever position they're at. Kaio-sama is never someone I could expect to hear on a song, and it's brilliant.

Track 14: Ore-tachi no Enajī/Our Energy (Kageyama): Hey, actual vocals! However, not one of Kageyama's better songs.

Track 15: Kokoro Kara Nureta Futari/Two Truly Soaked People (Masako Nozawa & Mayumi Sho): I guess this is Gohan and Chi-Chi trying to do a song together. I will pass.

Track 16: On’na no Ko wa Tsumitsukuri/Girls are Cruel (Hiromi Tsuru): Hiromi Tsuru in character as Bulma! She had a better voice than I was actually expecting. Most of the songs on Hit 4 are pretty forgettable, but entertaining.

Track 17: Makafushigi Adobenchā! (Nyū Rimikkusu Rongu Vājon)/Mystical Adventure! (New Remix Long Version) (Hiroki Takahashi): This song's placement on Hit 5 is interesting. I know that the Bardock special showcases scenes from the original series, but did they have to go this far? Would prefer the original over this any day, but shockingly enough, this remix will be considered a masterpiece compared to what's coming!

Track 18: Aru Hoshi no Shi ★/One World’s Poem ★ (Taneri): Great guitar work, and would love to see the lyrics to this sometime.

Track 19: Happy birthday (Waffle): If you've got a rainstorm in the beginning of your song, odds are I'm gonna like it. I don't know what to think of this song. It sounds kind of sad, but a birthday is supposed to be happy! A great vocal performance nonetheless.

Track 20: CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Supēsu Vājon)/CHA-LA HEAD-CHA-LA (Space Version) (Kageyama): Here's an idea. Listen to HEAD-CHA-LA, and around the middle of the song, press some buttons on a spacey synthesizer, and then start the song back up. There you have the space version!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sun Jul 17, 2016 3:50 am

---Disc One---

Dragon World e Yōkoso! is a nice little song to listen to, but not one I would ever sing. Same with Mama wa Shiawase Inotte 'ru and Eien no Chikyū. Mostly I listen to them out of DB nostalgic goodness.

Aitsu wa Son Gokuh is one of my favorite DB songs, so I return to it often. Moero! Dragon Soldiers isn't a favorite, but you can't not sing to this great, catchy song.

Shura-Iro no Senshi I can get down with and sing from time to time even tho it's not one I ever feel compelled to come back to.

Trouble Surfing makes me want to sing, tho it's kind of on the level of the Waffle songs. Maybe it's that voice. It's infectious with it's bubbly energy.

Tenka-ichi Gohan is also a favorite, thanks to the old Geneon dub of DBZ Movie 1. One of my favorite songs. "Boku wa tenkaichi no daitensai". :D

Jōshiki Nante Na★i☆sa is a fantastic classic Kageyama song. It's not often I find a slow Kageyama song that I like.

Ōmori Rice Boy I like a lot. My favorite Kageyama song on this disc. It's a reminder to me that there are many hidden gems on this 13-disc set.

Koko Kara - From the Home Planet Earth I enjoy from time to time in a similar way to the Waffle songs, but a little less. Mirai Chizu I like a bit more. I actually wanna song parts of that one, which puts it ABOVE the Waffle songs. Tenka-Muteki no Full Course is another one below Waffle. Fly High is below waffle despite how upbeat it is. It bores me somehow. Also bored by All Alone and 1 ♥ Kōnen.

---Disc Two---

Dancing in the Space is just so great to listen to. Their voices go well together. And the music is catchy and chill all at the same time.

Cosmic Chinese Melody is in line with the previous disc's Waffle songs: nice to listen to, but not anything I feel compelled to sing.

Good Night, My Blue bored me. As did Ore-tachi no Energy and On'na no Ko wa Tsumitsukuri. Bulma's not the best singer. Happy Birthday is also pretty boring.

Bad Boy is...awkward. It's catchy, tho... Conflicted.

Arashi no Zenchō 〜Mugon no Zawameki〜 is relaxing, tho not catchy enough to sing. Shirai's songs are just good ear candy. So smoothe.

Space Dance is nostalgic, but kinda boring.

I·ku·sa: a favorite. How could it not be? Same with Piccolo-san Da〜isuki ♥. Hehe. Too cute. And Solid State Scouter just rocks. And I LOVE O-tassha Polka. It's a Japanese polka song, with the Turtle Sage singing in between. It's the best thing ever. And Asa - Hiru - Yoru - Kimi - Boku... Oh, yes! Kulilin's wonderful pirate song. Oh, how I wish to know what he sings about.

Fuke Yo Kaze Yobe Yo Shen Long is alright. Kinda of boring, tho.

Share 'reba Inochi no Izumi Waku-Waku!!: not a song!

Kokoro Kara Nureta Futari is pretty cute, tho more of a funny than a song to listen to.

Aru Hoshi no Uta ★ is so pretty. I love this song so much and wish I knew who Taneri is so I could hear more of her music.

The two remixes this disc has to offer are both pretty bad, and pointless.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

ThunderPX
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by ThunderPX » Wed Jul 20, 2016 7:36 am

This is a pretty cool thread idea. I sort of remember a number of these tracks (not counting the ones that are actually in the show, of course :P), so it's rather interesting to have these mini-reviews to give them a bit more context.

Actually, what is the deal with a lot of these songs? You've got the actual songs from the show, and then I guess character songs and more Kageyama stuff are appropriate enough, but some of the other stuff doesn't seem to have anything to do with Dragon Ball whatsoever. Did they just get a bunch of composers in a room and go "Okay, we need to sell a DBZ CD, who's got some songs lying around?" Or maybe some of these were recorded as potential insert songs? After all, after DB had them relatively often, the Saiyan arc only has one and a brief snippet of another, and then we don't get any until the Android arc decides to throw in a couple...

But now I'm getting off-track. I look forward to being able to listen to more of these songs while reading this thread alongside 'em! :thumbup:
I'm Rosie (she/her). My username is a chuuni holdover from nearly two decades ago :shock:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 8:15 am

It's like all the character CDs shows like Inuyasha, Bleach, etc have. It makes sense for such a show popular enough to get two movies a year, and if they put out two or three albums a year, they must've been selling pretty damn well. :O

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 21, 2016 12:03 am

Disc 3: Contains tracks from Hit Song Collections 5-7

Track 1: Kin-Iro Ta-ma-go/Gold-Colored Eggs (Ushio Hashimoto): My "Hashimoto shouldn't be on a faster song" complaints continue here. It's groovy, but her voice just doesn't belong here, especially with the style of music. Now, "Let's Hunt For Mr. Dream" was a pretty well-paced song from the original series, but the instruments fit the charm of that series and it seemed to mesh more with her vocals. Not so much here.

Track 2: Marugoto (Nyū Rimikkusu Rongu Vājon)/The Whole World (New Remix Long Version) (Kageyama & Ammy): Marugoto has always been one of my preferred movie ending themes. I dig Ammy's vocals on this, pretty hard hitting stuff and she goes well with Kageyama. As far as an actual remix, it starts off with a cool drum remix, but nothing that makes it stand out.

Track 3: Arijigoku/Doodlebug (Shin’ichi Ishihara): Ishihara is one of the great vocalists on these songs, and this is a good tune. He has a very suave voice, and it will show on later songs. This song is pretty straight-foward, not a whole lot to say about it.

Track 4: Tamashii no Michi/The Soul’s Path (Kageyama): The opening to this song had me going in a totally different direction, as I was expecting something much slower, but I don't mind this at all. Nice bass line, that eventually gets carried over to one of the medleys on a later disc.

Track 5: Aru Hoshi no Shi ★★/One World’s Poem ★★ (Taneri): Basically a continuation of the song from disc two, but adding another star to the title. Like I said previously, I'd love to see the lyrics to this, because I really don't know what's going on. One of the songs that probably has nothing to do with actual Dragon Ball, but interesting nonetheless.

Track 6: Hikari No Tabi/Light's Journey (Kageyama & Waffle): This song has got to be in a top 3 for songs from the franchise as a whole. Every time I watch the Bardock special, I can't help but almost get choked up, especially watching scenes from the original series in the background. I have personally never been a big fan of the instrumental that leads up to the vocals, but man, this song is just so good. The vocals go together perfectly, and it's just beautiful.

Track 7: “Ya” na Koto ni wa Genki-Dama!!/There’s a Genki-Dama in Bad Things!! (Kageyama & Shines): Have never cared for this song. Maybe because it's I haven't watched Movie 4 all that much, but it's just not all that great to me.

Track 8: Mai Pēsu/My Pace (Waffle): Hit Song Collection 6 was the first one I really got my hands on, so I love a lot of these songs, and this one is one of them, and is very uplifting.

Track 9: Mai • My • Mainichi/Mai – My – Every Day (Hashimoto): Goodness, this song is a pile of trash. A nice guitar lick (which is another homage) but besides the chorus, it's horrible vocal-wise.

Track 10: Kikai no Yō ni… –Batoringu Mashin–/Like a Machine…: Battling Machine (Ishihara): If you did a MIDI version of this, you could probably place it right in one of the Sonic games on Genesis and it would fit right in. Couldn't really get into this one.

Track 11: Yume no Kakera/Fragments of A Dream (Waffle): Oh hell yes. A great song, with beautiful vocals. Some of the ballads that this series does can sometimes be horrible, but this one is fantastic.

Track 12: Doragon ONDO/Dragon Marching Song (Kageyama & Satoko Yamano): I actually just read that Yamano sang "Riding on A Cloud Is My First Love", one of my absolute favorites from the original series. The singers go well together, but this song is a bit over the top with the background vocals, but more excellent guitar work in the background.

Track 13: Kuchibue no Kimochi/The Feeling of Whistling (Masako Nozawa): Bit of a fun story here. I would typically listen to this music in middle school gym class since we were allowed to listen to music while we did things like walk outside. This was always something I would listen (and still do on occasion, how can you not?) and everyone would ask me what song I was listening, but of course I'd never tell because I'm painfully shy. A pretty song, and Nozawa is bearable on this unlike the other two insert songs.

Track 14: Tobikkiri no Saikyō tai Saikyō/The Incredible Mightiest vs. Mightiest (Kageyama & Ammy): Before starting, I will admit it is a bummer that none of the instrumental pieces made it on here. While I don't remember them being great pieces, could have at least thrown them together as one. Oh well. Again, not one of my favorite movie endings, but that ends here because everything past this is pretty damn awesome.

Track 15: Pawā obu Sumairu/Power of Smile (Waffle): What is there not to like about this song? I've always had a soft spot for this, and always love going back to it.

Track 16: Me o Tojireba Kantan/It’s Easy If You Close Your Eyes (Junko Uchida): New vocalist! Very 80's sounding. Uchida sounds exciting.

Track 17 & 18: Kaze no Yō ni Hoshi no Yō ni «Pāto 1» & Kaze no Yō ni Hoshi no Yō ni «Pāto 2»/Like the Wind, Like the Stars «Part 1» & Like the Wind, Like the Stars «Part 2» (CHIHO): Decided to throw these two into one. A very dramatic opening for part 1, and goes into a nice hip hop drum beat. Don't really care for the vocals on this, and thought with the sound these songs could have been way better.

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Sun Jul 24, 2016 2:01 pm

I've had this topic saved for awhile and now is a good time to finally sample these a bit.

Welcome to the Dragon World!: My immediate thought is this doesn't seem out of place in a 90s R&B album! I really enjoy the smooth vocals here. Indeed, there's a space element to it that gives away a sense of exploration.

Eternal Earth: This is so relaxing. Likewise, I enjoy the instruments.

Battle-Colored Warriors: Loads of personality! I'm not too sure about the lyrics meshing with the composition. Either way, too jazzy not to step to.

Koko Kara FROM THE HOME PLANET EARTH: I can't quite place my finger on it, but this has a nostalgic feeling to it.

Mirai Chizu: The melancholic rock is just right up my alley in enjoyment. Powerful pacing and proper placement between tones.

A Full Course Unrivaled in the World: I'm quite addicted to the hook, it's very easy-going, like myself.

That's all I can manage for the day.

Crinchy

Post by Crinchy » Tue Jul 26, 2016 6:40 am

RoarkVegeta wrote:Disc 3: Contains tracks from Hit Song Collections 5-7

Track 13: Kuchibue no Kimochi/The Feeling of Whistling (Masako Nozawa): Bit of a fun story here. I would typically listen to this music in middle school gym class since we were allowed to listen to music while we did things like walk outside. This was always something I would listen (and still do on occasion, how can you not?) and everyone would ask me what song I was listening, but of course I'd never tell because I'm painfully shy. A pretty song, and Nozawa is bearable on this unlike the other two insert songs.
Could they hear what music you were listening to or just yourself e.g headphones? Are you Japanese? Just curious, as I could see that being weird :lol:

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:07 pm

Crinchy wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote:Disc 3: Contains tracks from Hit Song Collections 5-7

Could they hear what music you were listening to or just yourself e.g headphones? Are you Japanese? Just curious, as I could see that being weird :lol:
D'oh, I can't write proper English. I meant to say that I would WHISTLE the song, and I would get asked what it was. :D

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:19 pm

Excuse the double post, but I haven't forgotten about this! Been a busy few days (Work, registering for classes, Dragon Boxes, etc) but I'll be back with the next disc soon!

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:46 pm

It is my theory that a lot, perhaps all of the tracks on the first DBZ Hit Song Collection, were supposed to be insert songs. But only two of them ended up being used.

He's That Damn Son Goku sounds like it was going to be for when Goku makes it back to Earth.

Earth of Eternity sounds like the original planned ending theme for Movie 1. But it was scrapped for the standard ending theme (Come Out, Incredible ZENKAI Power).

Burn, Dragon Soldiers! sounds like it was going to be for back-to-back footage of the Z Warriors training, and the Dragon Balls being hunted.

Trouble Surfing sounds like it was going to be for the filler episode with Gohan on the makeshift surfboard.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sun Aug 07, 2016 11:29 pm

Disc 4: Contains tracks from Hit Song Collections 7-9

Track 1: Detekoi Tobikiri ZENKAI Pawā!/Come Out, Incredible ZENKAI Power! (MANNA): I feel like many don't really like this song, and while it doesn't fit the series near the end of it's run during the Cell arc, it's still a fun song to me. The flute solo in the breakdown is pretty neat too. :D

Track 2: Dareka-san to Ii Tenki/Somebody and Good Weather (Hashimoto): Much better performance from Hashimoto on this one than some of her prior tracks. Probably a throw away track, but enjoyable.

Track 3: Toki to Hikari no Shita de/Beneath Time and Light (Kageyama): As much as I love Kageyama, I think this song should have only had a female singer, I'm not totally sure who it was, likely someone in KUKO, but it doesn't fit as a duet to me like Hikari No Tabi did.

Track 4: Doragon Majikku Kānibaru/Dragon Magic Carnival (Satoko Yamano): So it seems like Satoko Yamano only enjoys Dragon Ball things regarding marching bands and carnivals, because this and Dragon Ondo are the only songs she's done! To me, it's only a faster version of the previously mentioned song, and it's very meh.

Track 5: CAPSULE CORP. (Hiromi Tsuru): This is an interesting one, because I was fully expecting Tsuru to actually sing, but it's just her speaking lines about her self. A bit disappointing.

Track 6: Ichido wa Kekkon Shitai Manbo/The I-Want-to-Get-Married-For-Once Mambo (Mayumi Tanaka): Oooooooooh Mambo! How can one not love this song? One of the better character songs.

Track 7: Bejīta-sama no O-ryōri Jigoku!! ~”Okonomiyaki” no Kan~/Lord Vegeta’s Cooking Hell!!: “Okonomiyaki” Recipe (Ryo Horikawa): I don't even know what to say about this song, honestly. It's weird but also amazing at the exact same time.

Track 8: Omoide no Tenka-ichi Budōkai/Memories of the Tenka-ichi Budōkai (POCHI & Apple Pie): So I guess they just list out of the contestants from the 21st through 23rd Tenkaichi Budokais, which uh, doesn't exactly make a great song.

Track 9: Share ‘reba Inochi no Izumi Waku-Waku!! 2/If I Tell a Joke, It’s an Exciting Fountain of Life!! 2 (Joji Yanami): Another song on here, while fun, would never be something I'd actually listen to. Doesn't help that I barely understand Japanese, anyway.

Track 10: Kuchibue no Kimochi • Pikkoro Hen/The Feeling of Whistling – Piccolo Edit (Toshio Furukawa): I like this one a bit better than some of the songs that would be on this particular HSC, but the whistling does get old after awhile.

Track 11: I•ke•na•i Urara Majikku/The Wrong Kind of Ooh-La-La Magic (Nozawa & Watanabe): Another one of these, yeesh. As said above, I do like some of these character songs, but if you don't understand a good chunk of Japanese like myself, you're going to be lost.

Track 12: MIND POWER…Ki…/Mind Power…Energy… (Kageyama): While Z doesn't use as many insert songs compared to the original series, this was a great usage of this song showcasing how much of a living hell Trunks' future was, and the background vocals are very haunting. Excellent song.

Track 13: MESSAGE FROM FUTURE…Mirai Kara no Dengon…/A Message From the Future (KUKO and Yuko Sato): Not able to get into this one, for me, it doesn't fit the tone of this whole HSC.

Track 14: WARNING OF DANGER…Keikoku…/Warning of Danger…Warning… (Ishihara): Smoooooth singin'. Ishihara is great on this track, and everything about it is just awesome. Top 5 track from the whole set.

Track 15: WELCOME HOME,MY BOY…Kaze no Namae…/Welcome Home, My Boy…the Name of the Wind… (CHIHO): CHIHO grows on me the more I listen to this song, at first I think her voice was much too bland for a song like this, but it fits.

Track 16: SUPER+POWER=MELODY…Chō-Ryoku Fushi…/Super Power Melody (Kageyama): Out of left field we have a rock song, and it's very meh. Killer guitar rift to open, but it's very bland throughout the rest.

Track 17: IT’S A SMALLWORLD…Koyubi no Shita de…/It’s a Small World…Beneath My Little Finger… (Yuka Sato): Very 80's sounding, sounds like something you'd find on Madonna's Like A Virgin or one of the later ABBA albums. Good song!

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Fri Sep 16, 2016 6:06 pm

It seems my disc count is going to be a bit off. I modified what was in each "disc" becuz I added back in the removed instrumental songs from the Hit Song Collections, but I didn't want to exceed the size limit of CDs.
Also, a note to RoarkVegeta: Kūko is just a sort of momonym for Ikuko Noguchi, and Waffle is a two-member band made up of Ikuko Noguchi (vocals and percussions) and Mika Watanabe (piano and guitars). That's why for a long time, she was listed as "Kūko (Waffle)", becuz she was "Kūko of the band Waffle".

---Disc Three---

Cha-la Head-cha-la <Space Version> is absolutely pointless, like RoarkVegeta mentioned. How does it even exist?

Tamashii no Michi I don't enjoy at all. Mai - My - Mainichi is also one I don't enjoy. Yume no Kakera is kinda pretty, but pretty boring. Dragon Ondo is pretty meh despite having the singer of my favorite song from the fist anime.

Kin-Iro Ta·ma·go is catchy, tho it doesn't stand out much. Arijigoku is definitely not one of the best Ishihara songs, but it's not bad, and briefly catchy. My Pace is quite nice, but not one I ever feel like listening to. Kuchibue no Kimochi has some nice whistling by Hajime Ueshiba, but the singing part I don't care for at all.

Marugoto <New Remix Long Version> isn't bad, but not MUCH is changed from the original. Perhaps it's better, tho, just becuz you get to enjoy the guitar and drums by themselves for a bit.

Hikari no Tabi's intro is too long and uninteresting, tho the rest of the song is pretty and one to come back to. The series' first pretty-style duet. Kikai no Yō Ni... —Battling Machine—: now THIS is more like an Ishihara song. Good stuff. BP ∞ (Battle Points Unlimited) is the series' first instrumental, and it's quite great. Gotta love that guitar. BP ∞ (Battle Points Unlimited) Overture is and overture to a great song.

Aru Hoshi no Uta ★★ is a continuation of Taneri's other short, but extremely beautiful song. One of my favorites. "Ya" na Koto ni wa Genki-Dama!! is a high energy favorite.

---Disc Four---

The Journey of the Seventh Ball 《Overture》 I dislike. Same with The Journey of the First Ball, Second Ball, Third Ball, Fourth Ball, Fifth Ball, and Sixth Ball. Share 'reba Inochi no Izumi Waku-Waku!! 2 needs to not exist.

Me o Tojireba Kantan is boring. Toki to Hikari no Shita De is another Kageyama and Kūko duet, but sadly on the boring side.

Dareka-san to Ii Tenki is pretty, and it's nice to hear Hashimoto singing normally. The Journey of the Seventh Ball: the one and only good Monolith song on this album sadly. It's pleasant to listen to. Capsule Corp. is catchy and enjoyable, but there's not much to sing... Vegeta-sama no O-ryōri Jigoku!! 〜"Okonomiyaki" no Kan〜 is very interesting to listen to. Omoide no Tenka-ichi Budōkai is a fun song about the past Tenka-ichi Budōkaies, reminiscent of Mezase Tenka-ichi. Kuchibue no Kimochi - Piccolo Hen is interesting to listen to. If only there was a version without Piccolo yelling over it. The instrumentation is very beautiful.

The Power of a Smile is such a feel-good song. I can't not sing along to this one. Dragon Magic Carnival is another good one sung by Yamano. It's extremely catchy and good. Ichido wa Kekkon Shitai Mambo is pretty fantastic. How is it that Kulilin singing can be so enjoyable? I·ke·na·i Ooh-La-La Magic's intro is a bit long, it's enjoyable and funny. The song itself is actually really good. The shy Gohan and drunk Chichi make a pretty fantastic duo. Also, Watanabe is pretty adorable as Chichi.

Tobikkiri no Saikyō tai Saikyō is one of the BEST movie theme songs. It has a lot of power. Kaze no Yō Ni - Hoshi no Yō Ni 《Part 1》 and 《Part 2》 are songs I go back to listen to time and time again. It's incredibly beautiful and haunting. And I believe Chiho is a mononym for the composer Chiho Kiyo'oka. Detekoi Tobikiri Zenkai Power! is extremely catchy and great. I love singing this one. It's also very nostalgia-filled.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:32 am

I WILL be starting and finishing this up at some point soon! Got really sidetracked by some real life stuff last summer, and am looking forward to finishing this.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Jun 20, 2017 7:24 pm

Sanjou!!! Ginyu Tokusentai is pretty underrated, same with Mezase Tenkaichi. Both are brilliant songs on their own which are made better by being about the characters and events we know and love.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Jul 01, 2017 10:56 am

Disc 5 (sorry the wait!):

Track 1: Sweet Lovely Midnight…the Other Side of the Moon… (Shin’ichi Ishihara): Funky and synthy intro. As much as I love Ishihara on songs such as WARNING OF DANGER, this is one for me where he doesn't fit. It's somewhat how I feel for the vocalist to the opening for Super.

Track 2: White, the World, and the Heart (Yuka Satō): Another slow song. Not that I have any problem with that. This song doesn't seem to really go anywhere, and just stays on the same course.

Track 3: Hero (You’re the Hero) (Kageyama and YUKA): This is the first track on Hit 10, "Virtual Triangle", which is a doozy of an album. Those instrumental tracks, like the ones also on Hit 7, are not present. While that's sad, it makes sense. Anyways, this song! Always one of my favorite movie ending themes, and a great pickup after the endings to movies 4 and 5 were a bit meh. Great vocal work from both of the singers, and the guitar solo at the end is aweeeesome.

Track 4: In That Sort of Mood (KUKO): Not entirely sure what to say about this. The synth solo is groovy, I will say. Not a bad song at all, but not a very memorable one.

Track 5: Comet Library (Kageyama): Very synthy intro, with some nice clean guitar. I liked having Kageyama on this track, as opposed to one of the female singers. As I've noted in the past, I'm a huge Journey fan. This reminds me of "Running Alone" on lead singer Steve Perry's debut album, "Street Talk". Not one of those homages per-se, but has the same tone. Nice mellow track.

Track 6: Good E[nergy] (Ishihara & YUKA): Instruments and samples all over the place in this one, and it's a bit of a mess. Nice beat to it, but probably a skip for most people.

Track 7: Keep my way (YUKA): Sounds like just another medium paced song sung by a female singer from Dragon Ball. Nothing to write home about.

Track 8: Firefly (YUKA): Hit 10 was really a ballad album. Interesting acoustic guitar work on this one, but again, not very memorable.

Track 9: Awesome Energy (KUKO): Picking up the mood just a bit on this one. Catchy, but sounds a lot like just another female image song.

Track 10: Hypnosis Banana (YUKA): Start to Hit 11, and you can really tell the mood change here. Diggin the funky instruments on this one. Another song where I would like to see the lyrics.

Track 11: Brain Dance (YUKA): Immediately picks up the mood from Hyposis Banana, but still has that dark and mellow tone to it. This has to probably be in my top 5 for Dragon Ball songs. Awesome drumming, and great vocals from from YUKA. Always a song I love listening to.

Track 12: At the Brink: The Earth’s Limit (Kageyama and YUKA): Such an awesome, jam-out track. Another great movie ending! I can hear the similiarities to Immigrant Song, but it's not too drastic. Also, a great guitar solo as well!

Track 13: A Golden Compass (Kageyama): This could have fit in as a movie ending, although it's a bit on the slower side. Good synth work, and Kageyama as usual at his best.

Track 14: VOICE (KUKO): Very misty intro, and I do like it a lot. However, when the vocals kick in, it goes down a bit. The singer doesn't sound in tune at all, personally.

Track 15: Aquarium Evening (Ishihara & CHIHO): Another fancy intro, with a nice electric piano. Ishihara back at his best, smooth singin'. Backing vocals go well together in the chorus. Twangy clean guitar solo, which sounds great. For sure a good one from this CD.

Track 16: A Top (CHIHO): The intro itself is enough to turn you off. The vocals go back and forth, stereo style and it's just difficult to listen to. Thankfully it's only a minute long. Just awful.

Track 17: Dream Upon A Star (KUKO): Kick-ass piano sound. Was hoping at some point the pianist would just break into Dire Dire Docks. Whoever from KUKO is singing sounds much better, compared to "Voice".