Does the Kai soundtrack make a big difference to you?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Bagginses
Banned

Does the Kai soundtrack make a big difference to you?

Post by Bagginses » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:16 am

Does it really matter to you, when watching Z Kai, which musical score is playing? I, for example, bought all the Kai parts except for the fourth. And now Part 4 is very expensive, plus you can find it only in second-hand markets (I like to buy my stuff brand new).

So, in hindsight, I wonder if I should have bought the later season box sets as they came out. I mean... just Season 1 and 2, instead of 3 parts of Kai. But as we know, these season sets come with the Kikuchi score, instead of the original Yamamoto score.

So which one would you rather have? The four separate parts of Kai (or Season One of Kai with Yamamoto score plus Parts 3 and 4) or the two Season Sets with the Kikuchi score?

I hope I have made my question clear.

sintzu
Banned

Re: Does the Kai soundtrack make a big difference to you?

Post by sintzu » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:15 am

I like consistency so I bought all 4 season sets to get the replacement score.
July 9th 2018 will be remembered as the day Broly became canon.

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 1:56 am

Knowing that Yamamoto is plagiarist slime actually does ruin the show for me, and I'm not a big fan of the replacement score. Therefore, I just don't watch it. I've got DB(Z), and can just skip through the parts I don't like.

So yeah, the soundtrack does make a big difference to me.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bagginses
Banned

Post by Bagginses » Thu Sep 01, 2016 10:47 am

sintzu wrote:I like consistency so I bought all 4 season sets to get the replacement score.
But do you have any of the Yamamoto releases?
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Knowing that Yamamoto is plagiarist slime actually does ruin the show for me, and I'm not a big fan of the replacement score. Therefore, I just don't watch it. I've got DB(Z), and can just skip through the parts I don't like.

So if Kai had an actual ''apprpriate'' score, would you enjoy watching it? And, did you watch Kai with both scores for the entirety of the show, or did you watch just one the versions?

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:06 am

Bagginses wrote:
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Knowing that Yamamoto is plagiarist slime actually does ruin the show for me, and I'm not a big fan of the replacement score. Therefore, I just don't watch it. I've got DB(Z), and can just skip through the parts I don't like.

So if Kai had an actual ''apprpriate'' score, would you enjoy watching it? And, did you watch Kai with both scores for the entirety of the show, or did you watch just one the versions?
Probably, yes. I'd prefer it had a properly done Kikuchi score, as, like I said, my biggest issue with the show is that it is hampered by the scandal, and I refuse to support something that employed plagiarism on that scale.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Nejishiki
I Live Here

Post by Nejishiki » Thu Sep 01, 2016 12:43 pm

Yes, I prefer Yamamoto's placement to be consistent throughout his 95 episodes. I intend to take advantage of this thread eventually so that I may enjoy it properly. Kikuchi is Dragon Ball personified, of course. I wouldn't have it any other way when viewing the original source. However, I prefer the English dub of Dragon Ball Kai and I'm comfortable with those performances playing alongside the refreshed music. Furthermore, the placement of Kikuchi's score in Dragon Ball Kai is poor. The producers either did not understand what they were doing or they were providing a rushed project with zero regard for fit. While I understand that the plagiarism sours the product, I opt to be a bit selfish. By that, I wish that he was caught a little bit later so that I could get away with Volumes 5-8 having the correct score. I can't help it, but I enjoy the music that was "composed" regardless and I play it just as much as Kikuchi's work. The same applies for the video games he worked on. Granted, I was never interested in the re-releases anyway, but playing those games without my favorite battle tracks cheapens the experience for me. He had a way of fabricating a modern martial arts tone and it was well done. I feel as if Dragon Ball Kai should emulate an alternate experience anyway. There's no point to viewing something done worse when you can just use the superior version, I think.

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Cipher » Thu Sep 01, 2016 11:44 pm

Only in the sense that I can't decide which I dislike more between Yamamoto's score and the limited Kikuchi tracks removed from their original context.

I think I marginally prefer the Kikuchi tracks, as I really, really disliked Yamamoto's work on the series, but that means it compares completely unfavorably to Z. It's a bit distracting to hear what were distinct character themes in the original run be used where and whenever in Kai.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Fri Sep 02, 2016 6:37 pm

I share the same sentiment. It makes it all the painful knowing how good the OST is for Kai that makes the plagiarism scandal all the more difficult to swallow. I flat out refused the buy the original DVD/Blu Ray when I heard about it.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Mon Sep 05, 2016 9:32 am

Personally it doesn't make a huge difference to me as I enjoy both scores, despite the original unfortunately being plagiarized and the replacement being inferior to the standard of placement in the original DBZ.
sintzu wrote:I like consistency so I bought all 4 season sets to get the replacement score.
Same, I purchased the 4 season sets. Although I have the Yamamoto-scored episodes on a hard drive so there is that whenever I want to watch it.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 05, 2016 1:26 pm

I'm not a fan of the Yamamoto score, not really of Kai's Kikuchi either, I typically stay away from Kai because the score doesn't fit my tastes. Kikuchi's original score, that's what my ears want when I'm watching Dragon Ball. I even prefer GT's original score to Kai.
Retired.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:31 pm

I don't care about faulty products in the first place. What Yamamoto has done, wasn't only his fault in my eyes.
TOEI seriously f**cked up. They are in charge of the product and Yamamoto was recording the music in advance. Don't tell me, that you won't recognize that piece of music is similar to a soundtrack of highly succesful Hollywood movie?
Japanese may be ignorant and think that, yeah, we are on island and western world doesn't know generally, what we broadcast in television... But I doubt that is the case.
With Yamamoto's history of copying music since 1989, it's impossible that they didn't know. Japanese may use english in funny way and seem ignorant, but western pop culture, including music, is popular there like anywhere on the planet.
Were the executives really that dumb that they've sent the series abroad with such visibly/audibly plagiated soundtrack? If they did, then I don't see the reason, why Yamamoto was the only one fired.
Yeah, he screwed big time, but corporations doesn't work like: ''Oooops, our employee screwed up, we seriously didn't know''... If TOEI works like that, it just shows how much s**t they give about the franchise.
Kai was half assed product in the first place, with Boo arc Kai, they didn't even try. It's like fan re-cut.

I am happy with DB and DBZ and the original music placement :)
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:46 pm

MCDaveG wrote:I don't care about faulty products in the first place. What Yamamoto has done, wasn't only his fault in my eyes.
TOEI seriously f**cked up. They are in charge of the product and Yamamoto was recording the music in advance. Don't tell me, that you won't recognize that piece of music is similar to a soundtrack of highly succesful Hollywood movie?
Japanese may be ignorant and think that, yeah, we are on island and western world doesn't know generally, what we broadcast in television... But I doubt that is the case.
With Yamamoto's history of copying music since 1989, it's impossible that they didn't know. Japanese may use english in funny way and seem ignorant, but western pop culture, including music, is popular there like anywhere on the planet.
Were the executives really that dumb that they've sent the series abroad with such visibly/audibly plagiated soundtrack? If they did, then I don't see the reason, why Yamamoto was the only one fired.
Yeah, he screwed big time, but corporations doesn't work like: ''Oooops, our employee screwed up, we seriously didn't know''... If TOEI works like that, it just shows how much s**t they give about the franchise.
Kai was half assed product in the first place, with Boo arc Kai, they didn't even try. It's like fan re-cut.

I think we knew that some of his music was similar, but no one realized that it was almost EXACTLY the same until he was put in charge of Kai's soundtrack.
Retired.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Mon Sep 05, 2016 5:51 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
MCDaveG wrote:I don't care about faulty products in the first place. What Yamamoto has done, wasn't only his fault in my eyes.

I think we knew that some of his music was similar, but no one realized that it was almost EXACTLY the same until he was put in charge of Kai's soundtrack.
I don't know, it's really weird. It's not like you are composing music and then someone places it into the series and nobody hears it before it airs. We can guess all day, but it's just weird.
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Sep 08, 2016 6:17 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:I think we knew that some of his music was similar, but no one realized that it was almost EXACTLY the same until he was put in charge of Kai's
soundtrack.
VegettoEX and Meri were aware of it years before Kai began. There's an old episode of the Kanzenshuu (then DaizenshuuEX) podcast from August 2007, almost two years before Kai started, where the two of them talk about songs from the video games and movies which sounded like Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin songs, ranging from suspiciously similar to nearly copied outright (they called them "homages", but didn't ignore the fact that it was plagiarism). I don't think they mentioned Yamamoto by name, though.

It's in episode 90, starting at about the 8:55 mark.

They also do a follow up with a couple more songs in the next episode, 91, at about the 5:50 mark.
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

DB_Fan1991
Advanced Regular

Post by DB_Fan1991 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:59 pm

Not really mainly because it's a version of DBZ I can watch in English without cringing every 5 seconds. Would I have preferred the replacement score to have matched the music placement of the original DBZ? Absolutely, it would have been a better experience.
[url=http://www.facebook.com/Son.Goku.Densetsu]Facebook[/url]

MaxZ
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by MaxZ » Thu Oct 06, 2016 5:30 pm

I just remember Gohan's ascension having some random song from the original Z score instead of the right song... that really sucked IMO.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 9:53 pm

Yes, it DOES make a difference to me. Very much so. I can't stand to sit through the final 3 episodes of Kai 1.0.

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Post by DHM211 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:26 pm

It makes a difference to me but not a big enough difference that would make or break my love of the show.
To be honest I kind of like how each "block" of the show has its own score, with the first "block" of the series(Saiyan and Frieza) having Yamamoto, the second "block" (Android and Cell) having Kikuchi and the third "block" (Buu) having Sumitomo.

Kaboom

Post by Kaboom » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:12 pm

Let me put it this way... Despite its sloppy and limited track placement, I don't mind the recycled Kikuchi score for Kai. It's still iconic Dragon Ball music that fits the series' tone and is and infinitely preferable to Funimation trying to make their own music again.

But there's still no way I'm ever giving up my original-run DVD Parts 1 through 4 that still have Yamamoto's music.

Mostly for "Saiyan Blood" though.
deviantART
FanFic: DragonBall GT Revised
[thread]
Powar Levuls: Main Series | Movies and Specials | GT
Nintendo/PSN/Steam: KaboomKrusader
ACNH Dream Address: DA-1637-4046-7415 ("SlamZone")
(Not) lost (enough) DB Super plots!
A handy video guide to Kanzenshuu-level grammar quality!

DanielSSJ
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by DanielSSJ » Fri Oct 07, 2016 11:53 pm

I don't mind the Kikuchi replacement solely due to the fact that it we can say that the original Japanese score was on American broadcast TV. But, yeah, they did a shoddy job with it's placement, and Yamamoto's score, while plagiarized, is still gold to me. I'd take either over Faulconer any day of the week.
My Official Unofficial Battle Power list (in-progress: updated 11/8/2022—FREEZA ARC COMPLETED)