Who composed the opening theme for the US/EU release of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

RosenkreutzXIII

Who composed the opening theme for the US/EU release of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi?

Post by RosenkreutzXIII » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:06 am

Hello, recently I've been ripping the audio from both the Budokai and Budokai Tenkaichi games in order to acquire unreleased music. From what I'm aware all the music in the first Budokai Tenkaichi (US & EU) is simply reused audio from the previous Budokai games with the exception of the opening.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbQZFwcXngo

I was curious if anyone had any idea as to who the composer could be. I'm fairly certain it wasn't by Kenji Yamamoto who did the previous game's soundtracks since it doesn't really sound like any of the other music he did for the previous games and from what I've read the Japanese version of the game simply uses the original anime soundtrack which leads me to believe it may have just been been audio made for the game's release outside of Japan. With that in mind I took a look at the credits, from OkraTron 5000 there was someone named " Rawly Pickens" who's credited with 'sound effect and audio engineering', but I doesn't necessarily mean he had anything to do with the opening song. Outside of him I could only assume it was done by either the developers, Spike or by one of the publishers Atari or Bandai.

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Re: Who composed the opening theme for the US/EU release of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi?

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Rawly Pickens is a technician who works for Christopher Sabat. He's not a musician for the game.

I can't remember the exact details, but I believe the international music for the BT games and the first Raging Blast were done by a Japanese music group, the name of which escapes me.

RosenkreutzXIII

Re: Who composed the opening theme for the US/EU release of Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi?

Post by RosenkreutzXIII » Thu Oct 06, 2016 3:08 am

All the music in the American and European release Budokai Tenkaichi 1 excluding the opening theme is simply reused music from the original Budokai trilogy which was composed by Kenji Yamamoto.

Toshiyuki Kishi was the composer for the American and European releases of Raging Blast and Tenkaichi 3.

Tenkaichi 2 on the other hand seems to have seems to have had a few composers listed under different sections.
However Takanori Arima is listed as the music producer so I presume he can be cited as the main person responsible for the soundtrack.

F Section: Hiromi Mizutani and Kenji Fujisawa
W Section: Hideyuki Fukasawa
B Section Composed by Takanori Arima, Tadayoshi Makino

Much to my surprise the discussion page for the "Dragon Ball Raging Blast Collector's Edition Soundtrack" on VGMDB.net had some conversations going on about who the composer of the opening for Tenkaichi 1 could have been, but alas it seems there was no differentiate answer.

http://vgmdb.net/forums/showthread.php?t=6091