Can we all please agree that Shunsuke Kikuchi is a totally sweet musical genius?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Can we all please agree that Shunsuke Kikuchi is a totally sweet musical genius?

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Nov 13, 2016 5:44 pm

Kikuchi is the John Williams and the Beethoven of anime and I listen to his Dragon Ball/Z BGMs on a regular basis. He captures every mood perfectly and makes every episode enjoyable, yet his score is grievously underappreciated. I've had to find the BGMs on YouTube due to the fact that many BGMs are unreleased and it's almost impossible to find recordings or sheet music for any of his work. Why are these great musical pieces basically unavailable?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Re: Can we all please agree that Shunsuke Kikuchi is a totally sweet musical genius?

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 14, 2016 7:57 pm

Of course we can! Even though Sumitomo had improved greatly his tracks for the current arc, nothing beats Kikuchi soundtrack! I wish he and Kageyama were still in the franchise.

Some of my favorite Kikuchi soundtracks:

Cell presence

Cell theme

Near the end of an episode in Boo Arc

SSJ2 Goku vs Majin Vegeta prelude

Gohan, Goten and Trunks training to defeat Majin Boo
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Are we too old to enjoy new Dragon Ball movies/series?

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Can we all please agree that Shunsuke Kikuchi is a totally sweet musical genius?

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 8:08 pm

YOU BETTER BELIEVE IT :D !!!!

The guy did some of the most awesome and most beautiful tracks I've ever heard in anime. I really love this guy's stuff. All of those tracks that Noah listed we're amazing in my opinion. Next to the Inuyasha soundtrack, Dragon Ball and Z's soundtrack is right up there.

There's so many tracks I love that it'd take me at least a day to list half of them. I'll just start with the one that I've listened to most recently. And that'd have to be this one.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:45 pm

Bansho64 wrote:Next to the Inuyasha soundtrack, Dragon Ball and Z's soundtrack is right up there.
I would include Yu-Gi-Oh! JPN soundtrack too, it's really good :D

Another Kikuchi favorite of mine
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Mon Nov 14, 2016 10:55 pm

Noah wrote: I would include Yu-Gi-Oh! JPN soundtrack too, it's really good :D

Another Kikuchi favorite of mine
Dude, it's like you read my mind!! :shock: :P
I was literally about to list that one along with Inuyasha's sountrack. I freaking love the Jpn Yugioh soundtrack. Very underrated. I actually think some of the openings would fit as DB openings

And yeah, I always loved that theme. And since you mentioned a M5 piece, I'll list one as well.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:20 am

Kikuchi Shunsuke is the SOUL of Dragon Ball. His music is what got me into the series. I don't think it's underappreciated. Besides a few Western areas, it is the universally accepted score and from what I've heard it still sells well.

I'm not a hardcore Dragon Ball fan and I think it is nothing more than an average battle shounen, but the music is the best thing and it is up there among the best musical scores for a cartoon. I'd say he is tied with Masuda Toshio(Naruto) and Takanashi Yasuharu(Naruto Shippuden) for my 2nd favorite composer.

MCDaveG
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MCDaveG » Tue Nov 15, 2016 5:01 am

Kikuchi's music set the tone and atmosphere a lot and it was one of the huge reasons next the art, that really got me into the series
FighterZ: Funky_Strudel
PS4: Dynamixx88

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:21 pm

Shunsuke Kikuchi and Kenji Yamamoto are the composers for Dragon Ball we need. Others just can't compete.
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Nov 16, 2016 6:13 pm

I fully agree with everything written above. I have nothing to add.
floofychan333 wrote:Why are these great musical pieces basically unavailable?
I guess that Nippon Columbia has no idea that there are people all around the world who would like to have something like Dragon Box: The Music on their shelves.
Fans aren't active at that field at all. I intend to change that. Wait and see 8)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 16, 2016 7:41 pm

Nothing tops Kikuchi. He captured everything about Dragon Ball flawlessly. From the comedic moments, to the heartwarming moments, to the sad moments and the intense/awesome moments.

Kikuchi's score is Dragon Ball.

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:07 am

Bansho64 wrote:I freaking love the Jpn Yugioh soundtrack. Very underrated. I actually think some of the openings would fit as DB openings

And yeah, I always loved that theme. And since you mentioned a M5 piece, I'll list one as well.
When you said that, these songs instantly came into my mind

Also I love these these tracks made by Kikuchi, Android/Cell Arc had some great soundtracks! God! Listening to this gives me chills! :D
Lord Beerus wrote:Nothing tops Kikuchi. He captured everything about Dragon Ball flawlessly. From the comedic moments, to the heartwarming moments, to the sad moments and the intense/awesome moments.

Kikuchi's score is Dragon Ball.
Exactly! We can always compare the scene where Goku arrives in the tournament for one day and all his friends greets him both DBZ and Kai 2.0.

Kai took all the emotion that was in this scene with that new trash soundtrack
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:37 pm

Meh, he's okay. He's no John Williams, and he's definitely no Beethoven (like, seriously?)

I'm with the guy who said that the Inuyasha OST was better. Possibly Yugioh as well, although that's a closer contest.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:55 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote: I'm with the guy who said that the Inuyasha OST was better. Possibly Yugioh as well, although that's a closer contest.
Yeah, for me, Inuyasha's got a lot of brilliant tracks in there. So does Yu-Gi-Oh.

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:29 pm

Removing Kikuchi soundtrack is removing 50% of the series, how could they dare to do that lol
Kamiccolo9 wrote:Meh, he's okay. He's no John Williams, and he's definitely no Beethoven (like, seriously?)
Bear in mind OP put some context and said "of anime", and I would say it's a complete success that there is no need even to defend, making comparisons the way you do could you imagine Cell appearing under the Hymn of Joy lol

It is creating music that perfectly goes with the images and script fitting 100% that matters in this kind of job lol

Noah
Kicks it Old-School

Post by Noah » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:40 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:Meh, he's okay. He's no John Williams, and he's definitely no Beethoven (like, seriously?)

I'm with the guy who said that the Inuyasha OST was better. Possibly Yugioh as well, although that's a closer contest.
I agree that he's no Beethoven, but the comparison with John Williams is appropriate as both:
Capture everything about their series/movies. From the comedic moments, to the heartwarming moments, to the sad moments and the intense/awesome moments.
as said by Lord Beerus.
PsionicWarrior wrote:Removing Kikuchi soundtrack is removing 50% of the series, how could they dare to do that lol
I think I feel the same about Kageyama.
乃亜

Top 10 DB/Z/GT Songs

PsionicWarrior
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by PsionicWarrior » Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:57 am

Noah wrote: I agree that he's no Beethoven, but the comparison with John Williams is appropriate as both:
Capture everything about their series/movies. From the comedic moments, to the heartwarming moments, to the sad moments and the intense/awesome moments.
as said by Lord Beerus.
Yep he perfectly worded that, but you forgot to quote the best part
Lord Beerus wrote: Kikuchi's score is Dragon Ball.
To me this couldn't be more accurate, same could be said with Nozawa lol

ssj5

Post by ssj5 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:51 pm

Absolutely, he gave the anime a very characteristic and special vibe. In fact I just made a thread asking if anyone knows any copyright-free music similar to his work:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=36293

(maybe admins should move my thread on this subforum)

Kamiccolo9
Namekian Warrior

Post by Kamiccolo9 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 8:49 pm

PsionicWarrior wrote: It is creating music that perfectly goes with the images and script fitting 100% that matters in this kind of job lol
So does the guy who makes the Spongebob soundtrack. My response was in reference to quality, not whether or not the music is appropriate. Kikuchi's work doesn't measure up to Williams, and has absolutely nothing on Beethoven.
Champion of the 1st Kanzenshuu Short Story Tenkaichi Budokai
Kamiccolo9's Kompendium of Short Stories
Cipher wrote:If Vegeta does not kill Gohan, I will stop illegally streaming the series.
Malik_DBNA wrote:
Scarz wrote:Malik, stop. People are asking me for lewd art of possessed Bra (with Vegeta).
"Achievement Unlocked: Rule 34"

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:37 pm

Kamiccolo9 wrote:
PsionicWarrior wrote: It is creating music that perfectly goes with the images and script fitting 100% that matters in this kind of job lol
So does the guy who makes the Spongebob soundtrack. My response was in reference to quality, not whether or not the music is appropriate. Kikuchi's work doesn't measure up to Williams, and has absolutely nothing on Beethoven.
To be fair Kikuchi's work doesn't have anywhere near a sufficient release in the English-speaking world and nobody except Dragon Ball fans and maybe Doraemon fans know who the hell he is. I feel like if there was an actual release of his work in the West and it hadn't been overshadowed by Faulconer music then he would be appreciated at least somewhere near as much as he should be.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:56 pm

Kikuchi Shunsuke is a great composer allowed free reign in a franchise with multiple genres all at work. He created truly memorable and engrossing music. He's definitely a genius and it's a shame I didn't know his work until I was already an adult. The mythical nature of the Hunt for the Dragon Balls arc, the martial arts and East Asian flavors of the tournament arcs, the 1960s spy movie music for the Red Ribbon Army arc, the B-movie sci-fi music for the Saiyan and Namek arcs and the dip into horror for the early Artificial Humans arc, to say nothing of the triumphant, hero-esque music for the Majin Buu arc. Kikuchi certainly dabbled around for Dragon Ball.

Oddly enough, the older I've gotten the less enamored I am with supposed geniuses like John Williams. The thing about Williams is that outside of his big themes his background music scores are forgettable or annoying while set to the films they are composed for. There are maybe, what, four or five good pieces from Star Wars, his biggest franchise? The Star Wars main theme, the Imperial March, Duel of Fates and Battle of the Heroes. The rest I cannot even remember.

My man Jerry Goldsmith had a similar issue. His main themes for Star Trek are great, but a lot of the background music just sounds like noise meant to dictate an emotional response. It's the same phenomenon you see in most Hollywood movies and it feels like eating raw sugar. Tasteless and headache-inducing. The only time I can think of his score being damned near perfect as a cohesive whole was Rudy. That was a movie that knew how to drive the emotions home.
She/Her
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
bisexual milf