Why did Mark Menza's replacement score of GT not live up to my expectations?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DBZAOTA482
Banned

Why did Mark Menza's replacement score of GT not live up to my expectations?

Post by DBZAOTA482 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 9:52 pm

Seriously, he did good with stuff like the Gogeta theme but his tracks for DBGT were ungodly, repetitive ear-diarrhea. I mean, just listen to the theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNEGA4nxWtY

I'd rather listen to the squeals of Tiffany Volmer's Bulma running on four amplifiers for a 1 minute than 10 seconds of that theme "song".
fadeddreams5 wrote:
DBZGTKOSDH wrote:... Haven't we already gotten these in GT? Goku dies, the DBs go away, and the Namekian DBs most likely won't be used again because of the Evil Dragons.
Goku didn't die in GT. The show sucked him off so much, it was impossible to keep him in the world of the living, so he ascended beyond mortality.
jjgp1112 wrote: Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:31 am I'm just about done with the concept of reboots and making shows that were products of their time and impactful "new and sexy" and in line with modern tastes and sensibilities. Let stuff stay in their era and give today's kids their own shit to watch.

I always side eye the people who say "Now my kids/today's kids can experience what I did as a child!" Nigga, who gives a fuck about your childhood? You're an adult now and it was at least 15 years ago. Let the kids have their own experience instead of picking at a corpse.

LordCrumb
Advanced Regular

Re: Why did Mark Menza's replacement score of GT suck so much dirty butthole?

Post by LordCrumb » Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:52 pm

That's a horrendous theme imo, its four seconds and then loops. Faulconer could have done so much better.

Anyway, I think they changed it because they wanted to try and make it darker than it actually was, which was a huge mistake.

Hellspawn28
Patreon Supporter

Re: Why did Mark Menza's replacement score of GT suck so much dirty butthole?

Post by Hellspawn28 » Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:23 pm

Funimation wanted to repeat the same success that they had with DBZ with GT. They wanted the music to appeal to American kids and wanted something to feel more extreme! They also probably thought the Japanese GT music would be too dated as well. Mark Meza is a nice guy and all, but I think his music for GT was awful.
She/Her
PS5 username: Guyver_Spawn_27
LB Profile: https://letterboxd.com/Hellspawn28/

Kakacarrottop
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why did Mark Menza's replacement score of GT not live up to my expectations?

Post by Kakacarrottop » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:06 am

I think the main issue was the ill-fitting and repetitive nature of Menza's music, which was entirely due to the Funimation/Barry Watson creative influence. It suddenly gave GT this very dreary, operessive atmosphere, in stark contrast to the upbeat Saturday Morning Cartoon-ish Tokunaga score which everyone loved. Funimation's music editors also didn't allow any silence, which exaggerated any faults in the score. If they scored GT similar to how Toei did then Menza would be a little more bearable, since some of his guitar riffs were pretty good.

But still, Ron Wasserman, Bruce Faulconer and the recycled Mega-Man music were leaps and bounds better in terms of variety and overall creativeness. All those soundtracks had a lot of upbeat and mischievous music, which helped offset the edgy rock/synthesizer stuff.
"I will literally dress as Goku and walk around jumping up and down, pretending to fly, in public if this ever gets an official release"

- ShadowDude112 on Ocean's Kai dub

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why did Mark Menza's replacement score of GT not live up to my expectations?

Post by TheAldella » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:16 pm

Hm...Well at least they pronounced Goku correctly.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith
Zack Snyder's Justice League
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Naruto6583
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Naruto6583 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:12 pm

DBZAOTA482 wrote:Seriously, he did good with stuff like the Gogeta theme but his tracks for DBGT were ungodly, repetitive ear-diarrhea. I mean, just listen to the theme song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jNEGA4nxWtY

I'd rather listen to the squeals of Tiffany Volmer's Bulma running on four amplifiers for a 1 minute than 10 seconds of that theme "song".
Didn't dave moran and nathan johnson compose for movie 12?
PSN SonGoku325
DeviantArt http://narut6228.deviantart.com/

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 10:38 pm

TheAldella wrote:Hm...Well at least they pronounced Goku correctly.
They pronounced so many other names incorrectly though.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Wed Nov 23, 2016 5:49 am

floofychan333 wrote:
TheAldella wrote:Hm...Well at least they pronounced Goku correctly.
They pronounced so many other names incorrectly though.
There are no other character names in the GT rap. It just baffles me that they said Goku with the emphasis on the u for once.
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -
HybridSaiyan wrote:Super better nail the fusion right. I don't want to see some gay twirling shit like the Zamasu fusion when they should just smack dicks together and merge.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:22 pm

I'll be some variation or another of "that guy" and say that I like Mr. Menza's score, though I will gladly acknowledge its repetitiveness.
TheAldella wrote:There are no other character names in the GT rap.
Pilaf is mentioned as well as Goku.
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

TheAldella
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheAldella » Mon Nov 28, 2016 4:16 am

Anime Kitten wrote:I'll be some variation or another of "that guy" and say that I like Mr. Menza's score, though I will gladly acknowledge its repetitiveness.
TheAldella wrote:There are no other character names in the GT rap.
Pilaf is mentioned as well as Goku.
oh yes that is correct i kinda didn't notice that one because the singer's flow is so bad haha
Favorite anime -
Mob Psycho 100
Yu Yu Hakusho

Favorite movies -

TeeHallums

Post by TeeHallums » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:00 pm

They just wanted it to seem more ~edgy~

No but really, a lot of it comes down to a particular tone/direction they were handing down to Menza. A composer is only as good as his direction (though I don't personally think he is that great anyways.)

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Fri Jan 13, 2017 5:02 pm

The problem is that they wanted something edgy and extreme for GT... and yet, Menza's work was neither. Yes, most people are in the camp that you shouldn't touch the original score, but if you're going to, at least have it be decent. While the score for Z was unbearable during most scenes (anything to do with comedy or transitional material had awful music), at least the pre-battle, anticipatory, and power-up themes were generally well done (though they could have used a more orchestral touch if you ask me). GT was awful. It was the same drone thing over and over and over again. The GT rap in the beginning -- as horrendous as it was -- was one of the two most exciting songs in the series; the other being the outro. I actually liked the beat for the outro and as sick as this sounds, sometimes till this day, it pops into my head. The music just needed to be pumped up and more exciting. It came off as flat, dull, drone, and almost torturous. I'm fairly certain that the music played a huge role on me, as I know that I couldn't stand watching GT when it aired on Cartoon Network. And I don't even hate the show. I bought the singles and watched the Japanese version with great enjoyment. I even like the Funimation dub with original score (ala green bricks). Thus, I know that music completely soured me and turned me off from the GT dub. It was almost depressing to watch it.

SingleFringe&Sparks
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by SingleFringe&Sparks » Tue Jan 17, 2017 3:38 pm

Kakacarrottop wrote:I think the main issue was the ill-fitting and repetitive nature of Menza's music, which was entirely due to the Funimation/Barry Watson creative influence. It suddenly gave GT this very dreary, operessive atmosphere, in stark contrast to the upbeat Saturday Morning Cartoon-ish Tokunaga score which everyone loved. Funimation's music editors also didn't allow any silence, which exaggerated any faults in the score. If they scored GT similar to how Toei did then Menza would be a little more bearable, since some of his guitar riffs were pretty good.

But still, Ron Wasserman, Bruce Faulconer and the recycled Mega-Man music were leaps and bounds better in terms of variety and overall creativeness. All those soundtracks had a lot of upbeat and mischievous music, which helped offset the edgy rock/synthesizer stuff.
I really couldn't listen to Menza's music. Considering how painfully generic it always was whenever it was used. Where it sounded like one of those basic demo tempo beats off an electric keyboard, where every tune sounded the same and rolled on and on. It actually worsened my experience with GT's Dub. Though problem with it specifically was that every tune sounded the same and derived from the same slow, synth drum and mellow guitar. It actually sounds comparatively like a poor man's version of Nathan Johnson's BGM.
Zephyr wrote:The fandom's collective fetishizing of "moments" is also ridiculous to me. No, not everyone needs a fucking "shine" moment. If that's all you want, then all you want is fanservice, rather than an actual coherent story. And of course those aren't mutually exclusive; you could have a coherent story with "shine" moments! But if a story is perfectly coherent (and I'm really not seeing any compelling arguments that this one is anything but, despite constantly recurring, really poorly reasoned, attempts to argue otherwise), and you're bemoaning the lack of "shine" moments as a reason for the story's poor quality, then you're letting your thirst for "shine" moments obfuscate your ability to detect basic storytelling when it's right in front of you.

Piccolo Daimaoh
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Piccolo Daimaoh » Wed Jan 18, 2017 2:15 am

I think Menza is great, but for some reason (probably FUNimation's direction) most if not all the tracks he did for GT sound the same. Like, not exactly the same, but the same sound with the same ingredients (guitar, bass, drums, occasional strings and a weird electric piano that keeps popping up). The main reason why I'm willing to defend the Faulconer score artistically is because of how varied it is, but I can't do that with the GT score.

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Wed Jan 18, 2017 3:27 am

I unabashedly love "step into the grand tour". As a song, it's a fucking embarrassment, but I can't help but love it. Same way I feel about the Space Jam song, which, well much better, is still awful.
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸