What is the name of that music piece everyone hates in Super?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

VejituhTheWarriorGuy
OMG CRAZY REGEN

What is the name of that music piece everyone hates in Super?

Post by VejituhTheWarriorGuy » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:43 pm

Title says it all
"You think you can defeat me? Using the power of those MOSQUITOS?! I am the legendary WARRIOR!" - Broly (Big Green Dub)

Ajay

Re: What is the name of that music piece everyone hates in Super?

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:46 pm

Follow me on Twitter for countless shitposts.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:49 pm

Ajay wrote:Omen of Victory.
Is this Gotenks' theme or am I misremembering?

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:51 pm

Doctor. wrote:Is this Gotenks' theme or am I misremembering?
I believe it first debuted when Goku arrived on top of the ship in episode 8 of Super.

It's been used for pretty much anything cheery ever since. I don't know if it's specifically attached to any character.

Deadtuber.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sun Nov 27, 2016 12:55 pm

Ajay wrote:
Doctor. wrote:Is this Gotenks' theme or am I misremembering?
I believe it first debuted when Goku arrived on top of the ship in episode 8 of Super.

It's been used for pretty much anything cheery ever since. I don't know if it's specifically attached to any character.
Nope, after rewatching a few scenes, I see it debuted in episode 7 when Goten and Trunks fused. Must be why I associated it with Gotenks, even though later they use a different theme. Eh...

Ajay

Post by Ajay » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:09 pm

Doctor. wrote:Nope, after rewatching a few scenes, I see it debuted in episode 7 when Goten and Trunks fused. Must be why I associated it with Gotenks, even though later they use a different theme. Eh...
Ah okay. I guess I always associate it with episode 8 since that's the first time it was used inappropriately so it really sticks out. I'll never forget the reactions on Twitter. They were amazing.

Deadtuber.

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:30 pm

Pfff, I love that track! I mean, I suppose I understand the reasons behind its extreme distaste among fans, but that doesn't hinder me from greatly enjoying the track at all. Surely there must be someone else who appreciates its every placement? :D
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Sun Nov 27, 2016 2:11 pm

I hate that track just as much as I hate all of the Team Faulconer pieces. Not that Sumitomo pieces are any good, most of them are forgettable but this one sticks out for it being so damn annoying. It deserves the hate it gets in my opinion.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:52 pm

I don't really hate that track, per se, it's just the timing of when it's placed in certain episodes is horrendous, with Episode 8 and the recent episode being the most notorious offenders. This is the sort of theme I can imagine would be perfectly suitable for any kind of Pilaf Gang filler escapades but nothing else.

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Sun Nov 27, 2016 6:12 pm

I thought Under the Blue Sky (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SanO76h ... 7&index=18) was the track most people hated, and I can see why people have issues with it. The track I find the most irritating is The Pilaf Gang's Plan (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nk9FYTw ... O4tfvvkpb7) as I feel it is one of several un-Dragon Ball esque songs. Ironically it feels like something Faulconer would do in an alternate universe world where there was a possibility of him scoring the Super dub.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup:

Kepiaschkz
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kepiaschkz » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:09 pm

"Under the Blue Sky" is actually one of my favourites.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sun Nov 27, 2016 9:19 pm

Yup, "Omen of Victory" is the one that I see hated the most. I hate it myself and I definitely think it deserves all of the garbage that's thrown at it. The theme really makes me uncomfortable because of how corny it sounds to me. I'd be embarrassed if a family member walked in on me listening to it.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 18, 2016 4:18 pm

God, lay off the synth already! It's like Sumitomo's trying to be Faulconer mixed with unmemorable video game BGMs from the early 90s.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Black_Liger
Advanced Regular

Post by Black_Liger » Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:09 am

floofychan333 wrote:God, lay off the synth already! It's like Sumitomo's trying to be Faulconer mixed with unmemorable video game BGMs from the early 90s.
To be fair, there was no synth tracks made for FT Arc, they did use some synth ones, but that's just placement, Sumitomo did lay off the synths for this arc in particular.

And yeah, like it's already been stated, if it was used for Pilaf Gang instead of their annoying theme, it would work wonders.
There's room for only one snake, and one big boss.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:11 am

floofychan333 wrote:God, lay off the synth already! It's like Sumitomo's trying to be Faulconer mixed with unmemorable video game BGMs from the early 90s.
Synths are awesome!!!!!!

However, this is one time that the synth is not awesome. The song gets better later but that beginning minute is horrid. Awful tone, awful synth effects.

I'll never understand this forums hatred for synths since it's a great musical tool. Pink Floyd's "On the Run" comes to mind for cool mainstream synth music. I personally love analogue synth music :thumbup:
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:42 am

Both those songs aren't great but they seem fitting I guess. I thought the song you were talking about would be where Goku turns up to fight Beerus and runs down the ship. That doo doo doo, doo doo dooooooo one. I know that sounds dumb but I'm sure people will know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: lol woops, yeah omen of victory. However I think it's more the placement that has been terrible rather than the song, although I do like the latter half of it a lot more than the first half.

iAnimationLover_
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by iAnimationLover_ » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:09 pm

nato25 wrote:Both those songs aren't great but they seem fitting I guess. I thought the song you were talking about would be where Goku turns up to fight Beerus and runs down the ship. That doo doo doo, doo doo dooooooo one. I know that sounds dumb but I'm sure people will know what I'm talking about.

EDIT: lol woops, yeah omen of victory. However I think it's more the placement that has been terrible rather than the song, although I do like the latter half of it a lot more than the first half.

Yea true, its not bad at all. just placed in the wrong situation

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:28 pm

Attitudefan wrote:
Synths are awesome!!!!!!

However, this is one time that the synth is not awesome. The song gets better later but that beginning minute is horrid. Awful tone, awful synth effects.

I'll never understand this forums hatred for synths since it's a great musical tool. Pink Floyd's "On the Run" comes to mind for cool mainstream synth music. I personally love analogue synth music :thumbup:
Synth is fine when used appropriately, as Kikuchi did. However, it's overused in this BGM and sounds like EDM.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu