Shunsuke Kikuchi is a great composer

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Shunsuke Kikuchi is a great composer

Post by Attitudefan » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:23 pm

Recently I had learned that Shunsuke Kikuchi had done the soundtrack for Sakigake!! Otokojuku. It was produced at the same time Dragon Ball was running (Sakigake!! Otokojuku's anime started in 1988) and has a completely different style. Sakigake!! Otokojuku's soundtrack sounds much like the typical synthwave/new wave music that was popular at the time. However, Dragon Ball sounds something out of the 60's or 70's kung fu flicks from Hong Kong and Wild Western films from the 60's.

Upon this realization, it makes me really appreciate what Kikuchi was aiming for when producing music for Dragon Ball: it's heavy inspirations really set the tone for Dragon Ball in such a huge way that now, I appreciate it even more.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

Cipher
Born 'n Bred Here

Re: Shunsuke Kikuchi is a great composer

Post by Cipher » Tue Nov 29, 2016 10:36 pm

Kikuchi's absolutely stellar with scores. He's a rare case where there's a very distinct underlying style to his work -- you can immediately recognize his compositions as belonging to him -- but where the thematic flavor he layers on top of it varies to suit the tone and style of the work he's scoring. Dragon Ball's score is very much matched to its kung-fu and wuxia media inspirations, whereas I've heard other series he scored around the same time that have more of a Latin style, jazzy spy-fi inspired tracks, the serviceable-albeit-kind-of-bland Ifukube-inspired tracks he wrote for a few of the '60s Gamera films, etc.

His giving Dragon Ball a score that tied it to its media inspirations is also part of the reason none of the composers since have felt quite right, though Tokunaga's fit the bold-colored nostalgic space opera that GT was to a certain extent. They've all been scores for any old action series, rather than the specific kung-fu/filmic hodgepodge Dragon Ball is.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:37 pm

Isn't there already a thread for praising Kikuchi?

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Nov 30, 2016 6:00 pm

simtek34 wrote:Isn't there already a thread for praising Kikuchi?
Yes, there is.

But it goes without saying he is a fantastic composer, that captures the true essence of Dragon Ball through every track he has composed and nobody has been able to reach his level since he bowed out after Z ended.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Nov 30, 2016 7:13 pm

Lord Beerus wrote:But it goes without saying he is a fantastic composer, that captures the true essence of Dragon Ball through every track he has composed and nobody has been able to reach his level since he bowed out after Z ended.
That's why we need to do anything a fan can do to make all his Dragon Ball music to be released!

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Dec 01, 2016 5:49 am

Lord Beerus wrote:
Yes, there is.

But it goes without saying he is a fantastic composer, that captures the true essence of Dragon Ball through every track he has composed and nobody has been able to reach his level since he bowed out after Z ended.
Oh wow, I had no idea when I made the initial post :lol: That's a first for me!

However, I'd like to point out that I was mainly referring to how Kikuchi's variance in how he composes for different shows. It's amazing how he can create soundtracks that have a similar flavour but at the same time be completely different.
My favourite art style (and animation) outside Toriyama who worked on Dragon Ball: Katsuyoshi Nakatsuru, Masaki Satō, Minoru Maeda, Takeo Ide, Hisashi Eguchi, Katsumi Aoshima, Tomekichi Takeuchi, Masahiro Shimanuki, Kazuya Hisada

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:24 pm

Multiple threads, sir. But Kikuchi deserves all the respect and admiration he can get since there are no sufficient releases of his BGMs in the West and he always gets overshadowed by Faulconer.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:14 pm

floofychan333 wrote:

Multiple threads, sir. But Kikuchi deserves all the respect and admiration he can get since there are no sufficient releases of his BGMs in the West and he always gets overshadowed by Faulconer.
If it is any consolation, all FUNi's Z releases from the OB's onwards have the Kikcuhi score on default, I remember reading a review once where someone was complaining that the OB's didn't have the BF score... :P

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Mon Dec 12, 2016 5:35 pm

I read--and was not surprised to learn--that apparently Kikuchi (before he retired) was considered something of a good luck charm in the Japanese TV industry. There was a saying, "If Kikuchi does the music, it'll be a hit."
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Mon Dec 12, 2016 8:17 pm

What a shame he isn't composing Super.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Attitudefan
I Live Here

Post by Attitudefan » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:49 am

TheBlackPaladin wrote:I read--and was not surprised to learn--that apparently Kikuchi (before he retired) was considered something of a good luck charm in the Japanese TV industry. There was a saying, "If Kikuchi does the music, it'll be a hit."
that's not untrue. I actually think every show he scored on actually did very well