FUNimation's "Chozetsu Dynamic"?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

FUNimation's "Chozetsu Dynamic"?

Post by floofychan333 » Mon Jan 09, 2017 8:34 am

For DBS's dub, are they just using the original Chozetsu Dynamic or did they dub their own version?
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Re: FUNimation's "Chozetsu Dynamic?"

Post by Valerius Dover » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:43 am

It seems the Toonami broadcast just left it in Japanese, like they do for all their other shows. However, Sabat responded to an inquiry about this and said roughly "It's complicated, we're trying". I assume that means they're still working on licensing things at the moment, so it seems that they'd like to dub the songs and they haven't given up yet, but there are a few roadblocks.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:42 am

I'm going to bet that every song that has a Japanese English version (I know at least Chozetsu Dynamic has one, and I heard that at least one of the ED songs does as well) will use that instead of Funi creating a whole new version. Whether that means that the Japanese music will be kept like most pre BOG releases or the same Engrish music will be used in both audio tracks like in BOG remains to be seen.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

KentalSSJ6
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by KentalSSJ6 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:56 am

They dont need to dub it nor should they. The fact the song isnt in English shouldnt be a factor of any sort. The show being placed on Adult Swim's Toonami block already shows its being marketed to a somewhat older crowd than the demographic intended for Kai back on Nicktoons. Not having a intro or ending in English shouldnt bother anyone watching the show.

If it aint broke, dont fix it.
Deviantart (NSFW) - http://yamato012.deviantart.com/
DBSW Group Page - http://dbsw.deviantart.com/
Still the 1k Sniper - [spoiler]http://orig10.deviantart.net/6a02/f/201 ... 8npe7r.png[/spoiler]

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 8:27 am

Danfun64 wrote:I'm going to bet that every song that has a Japanese English version (I know at least Chozetsu Dynamic has one, and I heard that at least one of the ED songs does as well)
It was Forever Dreaming, the 4th ending theme that has an Engrish version

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Re: FUNimation's "Chozetsu Dynamic"?

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 4:36 pm

Sabat not only said that they were trying to get an English-dubbed version of the song, but he even implied who the singer would be. Apparently it would have been Mark de Groot, a fandubber, who has sung English covers for a few other anime songs online. So, you could think of this video as the closest thing to a FUNimation English cover of the opening song that we'll likely ever get.

For whatever reason, it couldn't be worked out. My guess is that the record company said no to having the song dubbed in English since their singer already sang an English version, and they didn't want to miss out on any kind of royalty payments. Essentially, "Use our English version, or no English version." I must emphasize, I don't know that that's the case, but I think it would make sense. I think it's the same reason BoG and RoF had English covers by the original bands: record companies saw an opportunity to make more money.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

wjbraden
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by wjbraden » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:07 pm

TheBlackPaladin wrote:Sabat not only said that they were trying to get an English-dubbed version of the song, but he even implied who the singer would be. Apparently it would have been Mark de Groot, a fandubber, who has sung English covers for a few other anime songs online. So, you could think of this video as the closest thing to a FUNimation English cover of the opening song that we'll likely ever get.

For whatever reason, it couldn't be worked out. My guess is that the record company said no to having the song dubbed in English since their singer already sang an English version, and they didn't want to miss out on any kind of royalty payments. Essentially, "Use our English version, or no English version." I must emphasize, I don't know that that's the case, but I think it would make sense. I think it's the same reason BoG and RoF had English covers by the original bands: record companies saw an opportunity to make more money.
The only thing is, the opening and endings of Super have already been dubbed into several different languages without issue. But who knows, maybe Toei is being selective as to which dubs are allowed to dub the openings and closings? If so, talk about micro-managing...
Interested in learning about the many international dubs of Dragon Ball? Then contribute to our Dragon Ball International Dubs spreadsheet here!: https://goo.gl/Zay3za It's open for anyone to edit* and view, so go ahead and add your own information to our ever-growing list!

* If you request access with a google account.

TheBlackPaladin
I Live Here

Post by TheBlackPaladin » Tue Jan 10, 2017 6:15 pm

wjbraden wrote:
TheBlackPaladin wrote:Sabat not only said that they were trying to get an English-dubbed version of the song, but he even implied who the singer would be. Apparently it would have been Mark de Groot, a fandubber, who has sung English covers for a few other anime songs online. So, you could think of this video as the closest thing to a FUNimation English cover of the opening song that we'll likely ever get.

The only thing is, the opening and endings of Super have already been dubbed into several different languages without issue. But who knows, maybe Toei is being selective as to which dubs are allowed to dub the openings and closings? If so, talk about micro-managing...
While it's true that they've been dubbed in other languages, what I'm saying is that the original singer happened to have already sung an English cover. He didn't sing a Portuguese or Hebrew cover, which is probably how the songs were able to get dubbed without a hassle. My guess is that English is a hold-up only because that happens to be the language that the original singer also contributed a cover for.
A "rather haggard" translation of a line from Future Gohan in DBZ, provided to FUNimation by Toei:
"To think of fighting that is this fun...so, it was pleasant fight, as many as, therefore is a feeling which is good the fight where."

El Diabeetus
I Live Here

Post by El Diabeetus » Thu Jan 12, 2017 6:32 pm

They shouldn't have to use that if it doesn't even sound like English. It's bad if you can understand the Japanese version better than the "English" version.

Baggie_Saiyan
Namekian Warrior

Post by Baggie_Saiyan » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:19 am

El Diabeetus wrote:They shouldn't have to use that if it doesn't even sound like English. It's bad if you can understand the Japanese version better than the "English" version.
Yeah the BoG insert song was ruined... :thumbdown: glad they opted for JPN this time around, as it seems they had no choice for the movies.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:26 pm

simtek34 wrote:
Danfun64 wrote:I'm going to bet that every song that has a Japanese English version (I know at least Chozetsu Dynamic has one, and I heard that at least one of the ED songs does as well)
It was Forever Dreaming, the 4th ending theme that has an Engrish version
Chozetsu Dymanic has an Engrish version too.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:36 pm

This week, Super had a dubbed version of Hello, Hello, Hello, so I think it's safe to say we'll get a dub for Chozetsu Dynamic, it's just a matter of when.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:01 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:This week, Super had a dubbed version of Hello, Hello, Hello, so I think it's safe to say we'll get a dub for Chozetsu Dynamic, it's just a matter of when.
I feel like they will ruin Chozetsu Dynamic and make it corny just like they do with literally every dubbed song. Hello Hello Hello in English is so corny it's cringeworthy and trying so hard to be cool it's just stupid.