Mark Menza (GT dub score) related to Nick Menza (Megadeth)

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Zephyr
I Live Here

Mark Menza (GT dub score) related to Nick Menza (Megadeth)

Post by Zephyr » Fri Feb 17, 2017 5:02 pm

Mark Menza is (in)famous for his musical score for Funimation's English dub of Dragon Ball GT, and also a handful of Dragon Ball Z films. The late Nick Menza (RIP) was Megadeth's drummer for the majority of their studio releases during the 1990's.

I'm a fan of both Dragon Ball and Megadeth, so I'm surprised that I didn't notice the shared last name sooner. After trying to dig for how, if at all, they were related, I ultimately came up short on both Wikipedia and IMDB. Then I stumbled upon Derek Padula's interview of Mark:
I have a cousin named Don Menza, who is really known in the jazz world, and saxophone.
Don still lives in North Hollywood, he’s retired now. His son is Nick Menza, the one-time drummer for Megadeath.
So they are related! I just found this fascinating, and thought I'd share it here, in case there are any other Megadeth fans around here.