New Bruce Faulconer music?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Geekdom101
Regular

Re: New Bruce Faulconer music?

Post by Geekdom101 » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:08 am

DSB wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
DSB wrote:
Oh i love Herms . And he's great . But that doesnt meek this Geekdom is . Geekdom =/= Herms . Herms is awesome . Geekdom has the mental growth of a 13 year old entitled punk
PS I could SO destroy you limb from limb right now, but I'm NOT gonna violate the rules of this board, as you have.

Okay ... where do you wanna play ???

Plus English isnt my first language so its a bit shaky .. Come on .. Try and destroy me . You are only proving me right about you
English isn't my first language either, and yet I don't have that problem, nor do I have to lie about MENSA.

You're not gonna bait me bro...
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

DSB
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DSB » Sun Mar 05, 2017 1:12 am

Geekdom101 wrote:
DSB wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote:
PS I could SO destroy you limb from limb right now, but I'm NOT gonna violate the rules of this board, as you have.

Okay ... where do you wanna play ???

Plus English isnt my first language so its a bit shaky .. Come on .. Try and destroy me . You are only proving me right about you
English isn't my first language either, and yet I don't have that problem, nor do I have to lie about MENSA.

You're not gonna bait me bro...
I am not lying about Mensa .. I dont need to ..

And I'm not gonna bait you . You see i have better stuff to do on a sunday morning . So its your wish .

FYI . I am a Medical Student and i WORK with a lot of Kids in the Pediatric Dept . Your attitude lines up perfectly with 13 year olds . I dont need to lie about anything.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 05, 2017 8:54 am

This is incredibly petty and embarrassing to read, so please take it your agreed-upon external platform. It's also extremely off-topic, but that's really the least of its issues at this point.

If you want to discuss fan-works and their merits/deficiencies (or any combination thereof), we have a section for that. Honest, well-written, valid critique of anyone and their work is welcomed.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Beek King
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Beek King » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:09 am

Geekdom101 wrote: English isn't my first language either, and yet I don't have that problem, nor do I have to lie about MENSA.
Didn't you learn to speak it when you were like a kid below 12? I wouldn't call call you a second language speaker, you're bilingual (unless I remember the Speakdoms wrong then I apologize, not defending that guy either he can go sit and spin just saying because I've been studying the topic of language acquisition)

On topic, I thought Bruce Faulconer outright stated that he will never work on DB related stuff ever again and it wasn't even him who made most of DBZ Funi music. A "tribute" doesn't have to be affiliated.
Do whatever you like, ghost.

Geekdom101
Regular

Post by Geekdom101 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:57 am

Beek King wrote:
Geekdom101 wrote: English isn't my first language either, and yet I don't have that problem, nor do I have to lie about MENSA.
Didn't you learn to speak it when you were like a kid below 12? I wouldn't call call you a second language speaker, you're bilingual (unless I remember the Speakdoms wrong then I apologize, not defending that guy either he can go sit and spin just saying because I've been studying the topic of language acquisition)

On topic, I thought Bruce Faulconer outright stated that he will never work on DB related stuff ever again and it wasn't even him who made most of DBZ Funi music. A "tribute" doesn't have to be affiliated.
He just told Blackenfist he was working on a tribute to DBZ and thats literally all we know. He's never spoken about it anywhere else. So until he does it, I guess its in limbo.
"Allow me to show you... my further evolution"

OFFICIAL Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgIqhB ... yUSp71VCOQ

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:24 am

floofychan333 wrote:At least it won't be on a Dragon Ball score. The guy can keep composing whatever he wants, because as a fellow artist I know that nobody has the right to stop an artist from creating their respective art form, however I still hate the fact that Kikuchi's great BGMs were tossed aside for incessant and uninteresting synthrokk that is a prime example of the Americanization of anime in general.
Wow. So arrogant. I loved Faulconers score.

While I love dragon ball z, I can't stand the Japanese music for it. It worked well in dragon ball and pretty much every other anime I watch is fine. But I love the music used for Z

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:09 am

dragonballgeek wrote:
floofychan333 wrote:At least it won't be on a Dragon Ball score. The guy can keep composing whatever he wants, because as a fellow artist I know that nobody has the right to stop an artist from creating their respective art form, however I still hate the fact that Kikuchi's great BGMs were tossed aside for incessant and uninteresting synthrokk that is a prime example of the Americanization of anime in general.

While I love dragon ball z, I can't stand the Japanese music for it. It worked well in dragon ball and pretty much every other anime I watch is fine. But I love the music used for Z
It's not even arrogant. He straight tossed out his opinion without any sugar coating. He may have not put "IMO" or "I think...", but it doesn't make anything arrogant. It's not like he said he was better than anyone or anything. There ain't nothing in there that's arrogant.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Mar 11, 2017 3:17 am

dragonballgeek wrote:Wow. So arrogant. I loved Faulconers score.

Why does the Kikuchi score work for Dragon Ball but not for Dbz? I mean it's not like DB and Dbz are two completely different and unrelated shows. To me saying that the Japanese music fits Dragon Ball but doesn't fit Z confirms that the only reason we prefer a score over the other is because of nostalgia. The reason you say that it works well in Dragon Ball is most likely because their wasn't a replacement score for it. So you were exposed to the Japanese music since the beginning. The same thing would of happened if FUNi's Dbz dub would of keep the original score.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:42 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:Wow. So arrogant. I loved Faulconers score.

Why does the Kikuchi score work for Dragon Ball but not for Dbz? I mean it's not like DB and Dbz are two completely different and unrelated shows. To me saying that the Japanese music fits Dragon Ball but doesn't fit Z confirms that the only reason we prefer a score over the other is because of nostalgia. The reason you say that it works well in Dragon Ball is most likely because their wasn't a replacement score for it. So you were exposed to the Japanese music since the beginning. The same thing would of happened if FUNi's Dbz dub would of keep the original score.
It's not nostalgia. At least not for me. It's not just dragon balls original music that bothers me, it's also other animes. Sometimes the music just doesn't really fit with the anime. Faulconers Z dub offered a different perspective that lined up with my personal preferences. I've tried watching it with the original music but sometimes it's just weird. I like what Bruce did. I can honesty say all that "terrible" music ultimately made me want to watch other animes later down the road.

Before you guys start hating and talking about my flawed musical taste, I feel I must defend myself and say that my degrees are in music. I had to study all eras of music at some point including baroque, renaissance and classical throughout college. Some I liked (classical) some I didn't. Even then, I didn't like how the original fit with the score. And that's okay. Everyone is different.

What I DONT like is people getting on their high horse and looking down at the people who prefer Faulconers dub over the Japanese. The "hardcore elitist" who like things to stick to the original. Those people are the worst. And the guy who I pointed out earlier was one of those people.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:05 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:

It's not even arrogant. He straight tossed out his opinion without any sugar coating. He may have not put "IMO" or "I think...", but it doesn't make anything arrogant. It's not like he said he was better than anyone or anything. There ain't nothing in there that's arrogant.
See my above post

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:22 pm

dragonballgeek wrote: See my above post
He's not a "hardcore elitist". He literally just stated his opinion without making insults to anyone. He even showed respect to Faulconer as a fellow artist and wants him to keep composing He's not " looking down on dub fans" or any kinda mess like that.

You're looking for something that isn't there.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sat Mar 11, 2017 1:50 pm

This is something that draws my attention for a while now, so I'll let myself jump in and ask a couple of questions:
dragonballgeek wrote:What I DONT like is people getting on their high horse and looking down at the people who prefer Faulconers dub over the Japanese. The "hardcore elitist" who like things to stick to the original. Those people are the worst. And the guy who I pointed out earlier was one of those people.
How do you define “getting on high horse” and “hardcore elitist”? Who does look down on people who prefer Faulconer? Why is it bad to like things to stick to the original?
dragonballgeek wrote:Before you guys start hating and talking about my flawed musical taste, I feel I must defend myself and say that my degrees are in music.
Can you give me an example of plain hate on this forum caused by somebody's musical preference? (normal criticism and reactions caused by provocation do not count)

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 2:35 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:This is something that draws my attention for a while now, so I'll let myself jump in and ask a couple of questions:
dragonballgeek wrote:What I DONT like is people getting on their high horse and looking down at the people who prefer Faulconers dub over the Japanese. The "hardcore elitist" who like things to stick to the original. Those people are the worst. And the guy who I pointed out earlier was one of those people.
How do you define “getting on high horse” and “hardcore elitist”? Who does look down on people who prefer Faulconer? Why is it bad to like things to stick to the original?
dragonballgeek wrote:Before you guys start hating and talking about my flawed musical taste, I feel I must defend myself and say that my degrees are in music.
Can you give me an example of plain hate on this forum caused by somebody's musical preference? (normal criticism and reactions caused by provocation do not count)
When I see people talking about how horrible the score is, it often time leads to criticism of people with a different opinion. Making them feel like something is wrong with them for supporting Faulconer. Many times on here I've seen people get bashed for liking the Americanized version of Dragon Ball.

Generally the people who do this kind of stuff are the ones who pride themselves in watching dragon ball as it was played in Japanese. People who have extensive knowledge of Japanese animation and watch it frequently usually have a condescending view on people who like Faulconer Dub and English dubs for Anime.

Unfortunately I can't really pinpoint the exact individuals who have bashed others, but before I became a member (and even after I joined) I would see people criticize others for their preference. Saying "you're not a real fan of dragon ball if you like that garbage music.." stuff like that. I stayed out of it most times, but this guy kinda gave off the vibe that he was one of those guys.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:04 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:It's not nostalgia. At least not for me. It's not just dragon balls original music that bothers me, it's also other animes. Sometimes the music just doesn't really fit with the anime. Faulconers Z dub offered a different perspective that lined up with my personal preferences. I've tried watching it with the original music but sometimes it's just weird. I like what Bruce did. I can honesty say all that "terrible" music ultimately made me want to watch other animes later down the road.
There has to be some nostalgia involve. Unless you were introduced to the series with the Ocean dub, kai, or the original Japanese. If you grew up with one of these versions, then you can say for sure that preferring the Faulconer score has nothing to do with nostalgia.
dragonballgeek wrote:Before you guys start hating and talking about my flawed musical taste, I feel I must defend myself and say that my degrees are in music. I had to study all eras of music at some point including baroque, renaissance and classical throughout college. Some I liked (classical) some I didn't. Even then, I didn't like how the original fit with the score. And that's okay. Everyone is different.
Your right everyone is different. We all have different musical preferences. But if we all have different taste in music, why is it that fans who grew up with Kikuchi like Kikuchi and fans that grew up with Faulconer like Faulconer? Wouldn't we prefer a score based on the type of music we like instead of the score we grew up with? I know there are exceptions but the majority of the Latin American fans(who grew up with the Japanese music) don't like the Faulconer score and the majority of the FUNi dub fans(who grew up on Faulconer) don't like the Japanese music. These people all have different taste in music, yet they still prefer the score they grew up with.
I like dubs to be as faithful as possible but I wouldn't consider my self a "hardcore elitist" because of that. Sticking with the original doesn't make you an elitist. Having a close minded mentality on how the only "correct" way to watch the show is subtitled and evey other dubbed version sucks does.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:14 pm

Bajosexto wrote: There has to be some nostalgia involve. Unless you were introduced to the series with the Ocean dub, kai, or the original Japanese. If you grew up with one of these versions, then you can say for sure that preferring the Faulconer score has nothing to do with nostalgia.
I don't see why he has to be bound to those scenarios just so can say he likes music from a TV show without nostalgia being involved. You can grow up with something and like it for other reasons besides nostalgia.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:28 pm

Bansho64 wrote:
Bajosexto wrote: There has to be some nostalgia involve. Unless you were introduced to the series with the Ocean dub, kai, or the original Japanese. If you grew up with one of these versions, then you can say for sure that preferring the Faulconer score has nothing to do with nostalgia.
I don't see why he has to be bound to those scenarios just so can say he likes music from a TV show without nostalgia being involved. You can grow up with something and like it for other reasons besides nostalgia.
True, but I didn't say the only reason he liked it was because of pure nostalgia. Wel I did on my previous post. But when I replied back I simply said that there had to be some nostalgia involved.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 7:46 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:It's not nostalgia. At least not for me. It's not just dragon balls original music that bothers me, it's also other animes. Sometimes the music just doesn't really fit with the anime. Faulconers Z dub offered a different perspective that lined up with my personal preferences. I've tried watching it with the original music but sometimes it's just weird. I like what Bruce did. I can honesty say all that "terrible" music ultimately made me want to watch other animes later down the road.
There has to be some nostalgia involve. Unless you were introduced to the series with the Ocean dub, kai, or the original Japanese. If you grew up with one of these versions, then you can say for sure that preferring the Faulconer score has nothing to do with nostalgia.
dragonballgeek wrote:Before you guys start hating and talking about my flawed musical taste, I feel I must defend myself and say that my degrees are in music. I had to study all eras of music at some point including baroque, renaissance and classical throughout college. Some I liked (classical) some I didn't. Even then, I didn't like how the original fit with the score. And that's okay. Everyone is different.
Your right everyone is different. We all have different musical preferences. But if we all have different taste in music, why is it that fans who grew up with Kikuchi like Kikuchi and fans that grew up with Faulconer like Faulconer? Wouldn't we prefer a score based on the type of music we like instead of the score we grew up with? I know there are exceptions but the majority of the Latin American fans(who grew up with the Japanese music) don't like the Faulconer score and the majority of the FUNi dub fans(who grew up on Faulconer) don't like the Japanese music. These people all have different taste in music, yet they still prefer the score they grew up with.
I like dubs to be as faithful as possible but I wouldn't consider my self a "hardcore elitist" because of that. Sticking with the original doesn't make you an elitist. Having a close minded mentality on how the only "correct" way to watch the show is subtitled and evey other dubbed version sucks does.
I started off when it came on Toonami, so it was technically the Ocean dub. Loved rock the dragon. By the time Faulconer came out, my dad was buying me the VHSs when they came out.

Sure most people will say "yeah it's nostalgia", but I don't think it is at all. I remember trying to watch an episode of the cell games when I was younger (maybe 11) after leaving the computer on all night to download it, and I remember not liking the music at all. The only music in the Japanese version I really liked was when Gohan transformed SSJ2 for the first time. I loved that part.

I want to reiterate that I was 11 years old. Watching it any way I could on dial up and not liking it all that much. You can't tell me that it was nostalgia that made me keep watching the English dub. It was a preference. I didnt hate it obviously since I liked that specific moment, but clearly would rather have Faulconer/Ocean. If you were anything like me as a kid you hated being in suspense. I'm embarrassed to say that I was obsessed with the show, but didn't want to watch it with Japanese subtitles and music. I'd rather wait. (Plus slow internet didn't help).

I believe most American kids Preferred the Faulconer to be completely honest. You guys can say it's a lie all you want, but one thing that gets teenage boys riled up is hype music. Faulconers music had some pretty cool beats that made you wanna go out there and fight with your friends. Japanese music at the time however did not have that affect. I don't think dragon ball (or anime) would've been as popular as it is/was without English music used as an attention grabber.

I'll say it again. I don't have a problem with people who don't like the English music, but I will say that the ones who don't like it tend to be the ones who look down on people who do.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:07 pm

dragonballgeek wrote:I'll say it again. I don't have a problem with people who don't like the English music, but I will say that the ones who don't like it tend to be the ones who look down on people who do.
I guess I was wrong. Maybe nostalgia isn't one of the reason you prefer Faulconer instead of Kikuchi. I disagree with your comment about people who don't like the don't like the English music. Both sides of the fandom(Kikuchi fans and Faulconer fans) have these type of people that look down on you for liking a certain version.

dragonballgeek
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballgeek » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:31 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
dragonballgeek wrote:I'll say it again. I don't have a problem with people who don't like the English music, but I will say that the ones who don't like it tend to be the ones who look down on people who do.
I guess I was wrong. Maybe nostalgia isn't one of the reason you prefer Faulconer instead of Kikuchi. I disagree with your comment about people who don't like the don't like the English music. Both sides of the fandom(Kikuchi fans and Faulconer fans) have these type of people that look down on you for liking a certain version.
Yeah man. We can't really judge a group of people based off of a few experiences. Generally I don't have a problem with people saying they don't like it, but it seemed like you were going to be one of those people who were condescending about it. I was wrong though

TheQuazz
Beyond Newbie

Post by TheQuazz » Sat Mar 11, 2017 8:45 pm

I thought Bruce himself never had anything to do with DBZ's score in the first place.