So apparently Shunsuke Kikuchi is still composing...

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

So apparently Shunsuke Kikuchi is still composing...

Post by floofychan333 » Sun Feb 26, 2017 4:11 pm

I was doing some digging around the internet today and I found out that Shunsuke Kikuchi kept composing the Doraemon movie scores until 2000, insert songs for the Super Sentai series of 2005, and according to IMDb, has continued to compose for a long-running series of TV movies called "Red Dead Wagon," the most recent movie of which was made in 2014. Anyway, I'm quite surprised. I thought he retired for good when DBZ ended in 1996. I'm also kind of sad because he's not doing Dragon Ball's music anymore, despite being active. Can anyone confirm this? Here are my sources:
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0452853/
https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/%E8%8F%8A ... A%E8%BC%94 (I had to run this through Google Translate because I can only speak a bit of Japanese in Romaji)
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

TheUltimateNinja
I Live Here

Re: So apparently Shunsuke Kikuchi is still composing...

Post by TheUltimateNinja » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:32 pm

Was Kikuchi's score really all that good? I personally don't care so much that he stopped composing for DB.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Sun Feb 26, 2017 10:25 pm

TheUltimateNinja wrote:Was Kikuchi's score really all that good? I personally don't care so much that he stopped composing for DB.
It was EXTREMELY good, according to opinions of serious majority of people. All my fellow fans love it. I personally do not imagine Dragon Ball anime without the magnificent Kikuchi score.
If there would be no possibility to watch the show with original music, I would just stick with the manga.

The only thing I could criticize a little bit is the placement here and there. But the one who was responsible for the placement was Shigeru Miyashita, not Kikuchi himself.
Sometimes, I wonder how Kikuchi would handle specific scenes from the series, if he would compose all the music for the anime instead of recycling the music composed for the movies... :think:

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:32 am

I looked it up and I'm not so sure if Red Dead Wagon is an official translation. I think maybe Red Hearse would be more accurate. Red Dead Wagon does sound more catchy, tho. In any case, I found Movie 36 on YouTube. No subtitles of course. It's called 惻隠の誤算 ("Miscalculated Pity" or something like that). The music's nothing at all like his score for Dragon Ball; unlike his score for New Tenchi Muyo!.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Luso Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Luso Saiyan » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:38 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
TheUltimateNinja wrote:Was Kikuchi's score really all that good? I personally don't care so much that he stopped composing for DB.
It was EXTREMELY good, according to opinions of serious majority of people.
In other words, just listen to it and decide for yourself. Taste is personal.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:36 pm

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
It was EXTREMELY good, according to opinions of serious majority of people.
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

On a serious note: I could find a "serious majority of people" who think it is EXTREMELY horrible. Don't oversell it, dude. Some people love Kikuchi, such as you; some find him meh, like me; and some people hate him, like I used to. Others simply prefer Faulconer over him. But please try not to imply that the majority of the fanbase thinks it's "EXTREMELY good." I've seen it split everywhere. I used to despise the man's music, but since I'm going through DBZ in its original Japanese version right now, I've learned that he's all right. But that's a far cry from "EXTREMELY good" and "magnificent."

To the guy who asked: just listen yourself. Watch some episodes with Kikuchi. Watch some episodes with Faulconer. Watch Kai with Yamamoto (plagiarizer). Everyone has a different opinion, and Faulconer vs Kikuchi is the #1 thing that polarizes the fanbase, with GT's quality being #2.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Tue Feb 28, 2017 11:57 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I could find a "serious majority of people" who think it is EXTREMELY horrible.
Not among people with good taste.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Don't oversell it, dude. Some people love Kikuchi, such as you; some find him meh, like me; and some people hate him, like I used to. Others simply prefer Faulconer over him. But please try not to imply that the majority of the fanbase thinks it's "EXTREMELY good." I've seen it split everywhere. I used to despise the man's music, but since I'm going through DBZ in its original Japanese version right now, I've learned that he's all right. But that's a far cry from "EXTREMELY good" and "magnificent."
I am sharing my statistics and opinions. Don't expect me to pay any attention to your suggestions about what words I should use to tell what I want to tell.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]
[spoiler]Image[/spoiler]

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:05 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote: I've seen it split everywhere.
And what are you specifically referring to by "everywhere"?

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:32 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote: It was EXTREMELY good, according to opinions of serious majority of people.
I...think you mean the people here.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:38 am

Kojiro Sasaki wrote:It was EXTREMELY good, according to opinions of serious majority of people.
Gotta give props for managing to rile up so many people here.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 am

EXBadguy wrote:
Kojiro Sasaki wrote: It was EXTREMELY good, according to opinions of serious majority of people.
No, most fans think he's great. Remember, Kikuchi's score is the one that was heard internationally. Even in English-speaking fandoms, only the ones who got into Faulconer young tend to be avid fans of his score. The fast majority either prefer Kikuchi or are neutral.
Retired.

Saikyo no Senshi
Advanced Regular

Post by Saikyo no Senshi » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:07 am

Kikuchi Shunsuke won the International Award twice in 2007 and 2015 for his work on the Dragon Ball franchise. The award is given to those whose music generates the most income in international territories.(Source. Oh, America is among the 11 countries, so even there it has his fans).

It's ridiculous to even think that he is only favoured here. There is a world outside America and while it is impossible to tell who likes him and who doesn't worldwide, it is safe to assume the majority recognizes his work and the awards are proof of that.
Last edited by Saikyo no Senshi on Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:56 am, edited 2 times in total.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Post by Bansho64 » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:41 am

EXBadguy wrote:
And I...... think you're mainly grabbing your opinions from America and not internationally. See how unfounded claims don't work? Though mine is most likely true.

EXBadguy
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by EXBadguy » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:53 am

Bansho64 wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
And I...... think you're mainly grabbing your opinions from America and not internationally.
And that's why I said it's here, because this is where yall go to.
Akira Toriyama wrote:If anyone. ANYONE AT TOEI! Makes a movie about old and weak major villains returning, or making recolored versions of Super Saiyan, I'ma come to yo company and evict you from doing Dragon Ball ever again! Only I do those things, because people love me, and they despise you....derp!
Marco Polo wrote:Goku Black is a fan of DBZ who hates Super and has taken the form of a younger Goku (thinner shape, softer hair) to avenge the original series by destroying the new.

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 1:59 am

EXBadguy wrote:
Bansho64 wrote:
EXBadguy wrote:
And I...... think you're mainly grabbing your opinions from America and not internationally.
And that's why I said it's here, because this is where yall go to.
What? Y'know the majority of fans worldwide don't have a Kanzenshuu account, right? Granted, the membership here is more diverse than you'd expect, but it's mostly us in North America and the UK. We aren't the Kikuchi fans, the fandom as a whole leans towards Kikuchi, especially since the vast majority of dubs didn't replace the score.
Retired.

SpiritBombTriumphant
Banned

Post by SpiritBombTriumphant » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:30 am

Bansho64 wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I've seen it split everywhere.
And what are you specifically referring to by "everywhere"?
Anywhere I have seen. Real life, Kanzenshuu, Reddit, Twitter, Tumblr, Facebook... No matter where I go, I see people split on the issue. Some people like Kikuchi, some people like Faulconer. Some prefer Yamamoto or Sumitomo. Some are meh to all.
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:No, most fans think he's great.
Simply that you believe Kikuchi is "great" doesn't mean "most fans" think the same way. I think he's meh. I prefer Faulconer. Some people hate Kikuchi, some people don't care. The only thing I can give you and the Polish guy are that you two love saying "my opinion is the popular one and the best one" without citing any sort of evidence for it. The only thing you personally have is that most people ended up hearing Kikuchi's score internationally. AFAIK, only the U.S., Canada, and the UK had replacement scores.
Kojiro Sasaki wrote:
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I could find a "serious majority of people" who think it is EXTREMELY horrible.
Not among people with good taste.
Interesting. I didn't know you were an authority on what is "good taste" and what isn't. Care to tell me what else people with "good taste" like?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:17 am

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Simply that you believe Kikuchi is "great" doesn't mean "most fans" think the same way.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:The only thing I can give you and the Polish guy are that you two love saying "my opinion is the popular one and the best one" without citing any sort of evidence for it.
Not even an argument that I made, but whatever.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:The only thing you personally have is that most people ended up hearing Kikuchi's score internationally.
...and you don't think there's any correlation between first impressions and preferences? I don't think you've thought this response through.
Retired.

sangofe
Kicks it Old-School

Post by sangofe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:26 am

Dragon Ball's not the same without his music, but I've grown to like Sumitomo's music for Dragon Ball Super, especially from the Trunks saga and out.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:31 pm

SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:No, most fans think he's great.
Simply that you believe Kikuchi is "great" doesn't mean "most fans" think the same way.
He didn't mention about his beliefs.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:The only thing I can give you and the Polish guy are that you two love saying "my opinion is the popular one and the best one" without citing any sort of evidence for it.
We know better what we love. Agree with the “popular” part (statistics) but I have no idea where have you read that we consider this opinion “the best”.
Are you providing evidences everytime you express your opinion or share your experience? Let's say that you base your opinion on discussions with 100 people: How can you prove that?

By the way - I have no problem with people having better opinions than mine. Many people on the planet have better taste, more experience and more knowledge than me - I accept and respect that. It's best to know and accept your place in the society. Also, I don't need my opinions to be popular. Actually, I praise people who have unpopular opinions.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Interesting.
That's very interesting - believe me.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:I didn't know you were an authority on what is "good taste" and what isn't.
I had no idea myself.
SpiritBombTriumphant wrote:Care to tell me what else people with "good taste" like?
People with good taste like or at least respect good stuff.

Instead of criticizing people who happen to have opinion/experience you don't like, just share your opinion/experience and let the guy who asked the question decide what to do with it.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:25 pm

EXBadguy wrote:
Yeah, true. Don't most North American Dragon Ball fans outside of Kanzenshuu hate Kikuchi or have only heard Faulconer?

Also, EXBadguy, I absolutely adore your avatar.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu