Why does the uncut dub with Japanese music not played Head Cha la

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Why does the uncut dub with Japanese music not played Head Cha la

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 07, 2017 7:56 pm

I don't own the season boxset just a boxset of the first five movies but I noticed that they and the episodes on FunimationNow don't play Head Cha la instead they use an instrumental opening.

They do play the Japanese ending however.

Any reason for this?

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Re: Why does the uncut dub with Japanese music not played Head Cha la

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:14 pm

It's one of the universe's great mysteries. Both have a lackluster instrumental opening, but the Kikuchi dub keeps the Japanese ending, so dubbing wasn't the problem. Maybe they would've had to pay extra for distribution rights of the song, or something like that.
Retired.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:06 pm

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:It's one of the universe's great mysteries. Both have a lackluster instrumental opening, but the Kikuchi dub keeps the Japanese ending, so dubbing wasn't the problem. Maybe they would've had to pay extra for distribution rights of the song, or something like that.
But the Dragon Boxes had it. Hell, most of the remastered movies have it. It's just the lazy guy who put DBZ on FUNiNow, the OB's and the BD's

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:11 pm

simtek34 wrote:But the Dragon Boxes had it.
The Dragon Boxes (obviously) fell under a different license, they also had a heavy focus on the Japanese version to the point where the Faulconer score and English titles were entirely ditched. We really can't make any assumptions about Z releases based on the Dragon Boxes. They're too different and not enough information is available.
Retired.

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:19 pm

The Dragon Boxes were the ones were the English dub track was added at the last second right?

I noticed the Funimation stream (and I assume Orange Brick set?) still use the English dub titles so we still get those lame uninspired titles like "Gohan goes Bananas"

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:16 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:The Dragon Boxes were the ones were the English dub track was added at the last second right?

I noticed the Funimation stream (and I assume Orange Brick set?) still use the English dub titles so we still get those lame uninspired titles like "Gohan goes Bananas"
Yep, Orange Bricks and Blu-ray seasons have the Funimation titles. The Blu-rays go the extra mile and replace them with a generic font.
Discord - Footlong Shoe #1327

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:28 pm

I suppose it was done to allow switching being the Japanese score and English score to be seamless?

Regarding the episode titles

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Wed Mar 08, 2017 10:58 pm

MasenkoHA wrote:I suppose it was done to allow switching being the Japanese score and English score to be seamless?

What do you mean by that? I don't get it.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Mar 09, 2017 10:23 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I suppose it was done to allow switching being the Japanese score and English score to be seamless?

Actually, I forgot something. On the Orange bricks, the japanese title cards do show up if you're watching in japanese. The OBs were the last Dragon Ball release to do this. (Not even the Blue/Green bricks had this feature, and the Blu-rays don't, either.)

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 3:57 pm

Footlong Shoe wrote:

Actually, I forgot something. On the Orange bricks, the japanese title cards do show up if you're watching in japanese. The OBs were the last Dragon Ball release to do this. (Not even the Blue/Green bricks had this feature, and the Blu-rays don't, either.)
Is that right? I guess I never cared enough to check. Cool feature, though.
Retired.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:02 pm

simtek34 wrote:But the Dragon Boxes had it. Hell, most of the remastered movies have it. It's just the lazy guy who put DBZ on FUNiNow, the OB's and the BD's
By BD's do you mean the Blu-rays? Does this mean that the Blu-rays don't have the Japanese Chala-head-Chala and instead they play an instrumental version of it?

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:11 pm

Dragon Box is the only one apparently that does

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Thu Mar 09, 2017 9:47 pm

Bajosexto wrote:
simtek34 wrote:But the Dragon Boxes had it. Hell, most of the remastered movies have it. It's just the lazy guy who put DBZ on FUNiNow, the OB's and the BD's
By BD's do you mean the Blu-rays? Does this mean that the Blu-rays don't have the Japanese Chala-head-Chala and instead they play an instrumental version of it?
MasenkoHA wrote:Dragon Box is the only one apparently that does
All home releases have Head-Cha-La on the Japanese track, but the Dragon Boxes are the only one that kept the Japanese opening on the uncut dub track.
Retired.

Bajosexto
Beyond Newbie

Post by Bajosexto » Fri Mar 10, 2017 2:47 am

Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:By BD's do you mean the Blu-rays? Does this mean that the Blu-rays don't have the Japanese Chala-head-Chala and instead they play an instrumental version of it?
All home releases have Head-Cha-La on the Japanese track, but the Dragon Boxes are the only one that kept the Japanese opening on the uncut dub track.
That makes sense. For a moment I thought that both the Japanese and the English track of the Blu-rays didn't have Chala-head-Chala and instead they had an instrumental version. But as you pointed out this only applies to the dub, except for the Dragon boxes.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 8:58 am

Bajosexto wrote:
Jinzoningen MULE wrote:
Bajosexto wrote:By BD's do you mean the Blu-rays? Does this mean that the Blu-rays don't have the Japanese Chala-head-Chala and instead they play an instrumental version of it?
That makes sense. For a moment I thought that both the Japanese and the English track of the Blu-rays didn't have Chala-head-Chala and instead they had an instrumental version. But as you pointed out this only applies to the dub, except for the Dragon boxes.
What I meant, is that some of the MOVIE Blu-rays have it. I know Super Battle in the World(M3) and The Burning Battles (M8) have Cha-La on the English dub/JP OST track, off the top of my head.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Regular — 02/05/2017

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:44 pm

The more I think about the more I'm surprise the Blue Rays didnt use Head Cha La for the English dub considering Dragon Ball Z abridged has probably helped expose it to a lot of DBZ fans who wouldn't touch the Japanese subs

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:43 am

Footlong Shoe wrote:

The DBZ Single Saga DVDs also have a Japanese title card if you change the angles.

Footlong Shoe
Patreon Supporter

Post by Footlong Shoe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:17 am

Ariesx222 wrote:The DBZ Single Saga DVDs also have a Japanese title card if you change the angles.
That's correct, but I didn't bring them up since we're talking about DVDs with the original music on the dub.

Metalwario64
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Metalwario64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:27 am

MasenkoHA wrote:I noticed the Funimation stream (and I assume Orange Brick set?) still use the English dub titles so we still get those lame uninspired titles like "Gohan goes Bananas"
I guess the real reason Gohan panics during the fight with Nappa is that he has...

Post Banana Stress Disorder!
"Kenshi is sitting down right now drawing his mutated spaghetti monsters thinking he's the shit..."--Neptune Kai
"90% of you here don't even know what you're talking about (there are a few that do). But the things you say about these releases are nonsense and just plain dumb. Like you Metalwario64"--final_flash

Ringworm128
Banned

Post by Ringworm128 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:01 am

Probably a hold over from their "DBZ needs to be American and hardcore for people to like it" days. Then again they kept Zenkai Power, so who knows?