Your thoughts on the Nathan Johnson score?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Your thoughts on the Nathan Johnson score?

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:37 pm

Good? Bad? An obvious imitation of the Faulconer score for musical consistency that has no true identity?

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Your thoughts on the Nathan Johnson score?

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Mar 09, 2017 8:39 pm

Nathan Johnson's the best of the English composer lot, though he's nowhere near even Norihito Sumitomo. His score was tolerable in many places in movie 2 and even produced a good BGM near the end of it.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Fri Mar 10, 2017 11:42 pm

Nathan Johnson sounds like a mix of Levi's orchestrated synth and unusual sounds and Menza's electric guitar and hip hop esque score. Usually more the former than the latter, but Menza's influence is still noticeable in some spots, like the recap and episode titles.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Sat Mar 11, 2017 12:13 pm

It was quite serviceable, at the very least. I thought Nathan Johnson brought a flavour to the Dragon Ball Z score that was certainly something different but not really unique enough to distinguish itself. Although, I do think his scores for Fusion Reborn and Wrath Of The Dragon were awesome. I'll always recall that really good track from DBZ Movie 13 track, which was Tapion's Ocarina theme, that I thought was memorable and good.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Mar 15, 2017 9:49 am

MasenkoHA wrote:Good? Bad? An obvious imitation of the Faulconer score for musical consistency that has no true identity?
I don't know about the movies but his score in Season 1 and 2 was totally bland
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Dragon Ball Ireland
I Live Here

Post by Dragon Ball Ireland » Wed Mar 15, 2017 2:12 pm

Its... just there sort of music.

It doesn't really add or take anything away from the plot.
Do you have any info about international non-English broadcasts about the Dragon Ball anime or manga translations/editions? Please message me. Researching for a future book with Dragon Ball scholar Derek Padula :thumbup: