How much of Yamamoto's score for Kai was stolen?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

How much of Yamamoto's score for Kai was stolen?

Post by MasenkoHA » Sat Mar 18, 2017 8:10 pm

I know Ebb and the Flow was the most cited one from stealig from Avatar (which is hilarious that he stole from the biggest movie of that year) but how much was plagarized? His entire score? Half of it? Most? Enough?

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: How much of Yamamoto's score for Kai was stolen?

Post by VegettoEX » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:16 am

We have no idea, because Yamamoto is never going to say, and Toei probably doesn't know themselves. They threw the baby out with the bathwater.

The ones we know about are the ones that Dragon Ball fans who happened to be watching Kai who also happened to be aware of those specific other songs just so happened to notice.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:32 am

I mean, we don't really know, but we kind of do. If it's stolen, there's almost certainly a comparison video of it by now, tons of people have gone through his stuff with a fine tooth comb. There may be a few lesser known songs he stole from, but since we know that the guy can actually compose pieces of his own, it's unlikely that there are many laying undiscovered.
Retired.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 11:01 am

I actually have a theory of why Kenji Yamamoto did what he did:

He IS actually capable of composing original music on his own. But when he first auditioned for Toei, none of his original compositions were approved by them. So he did the only thing he could do, and, well, we all know how that turned out.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Mar 21, 2017 4:43 pm

DB1984 wrote:I actually have a theory of why Kenji Yamamoto did what he did:

He IS actually capable of composing original music on his own. But when he first auditioned for Toei, none of his original compositions were approved by them. So he did the only thing he could do, and, well, we all know how that turned out.
None of this makes any sense or holds any water at all.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Mar 21, 2017 5:56 pm

DB1984 wrote:I actually have a theory of why Kenji Yamamoto did what he did:

Considering that he plagiarized a multitude of works over more than a decade on several separate (albeit similar) projects, that's especially unlikely. Even if your idea were true, it doesn't excuse anything. Taking credit for others' work is still a shitty thing to do, period.
Retired.

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:39 pm

For the record, I wasn't defending Yamamoto's actions.

Also, Yamamoto, isn't the first, nor the last, in Japan to be involved in a plagiarism scandal. There was also Tappi Iwase, who composed the Metal Gear Solid theme in 1998. A decade later, it was discovered that he plagiarized a Russian song, and thus the song was dropped from Metal Gear games hereafter.

I wonder who was the individual who found out the Russian song, and reported it to Hideo Kojima, the creator of the series? Unlike Yamamoto, Iwase was NOT banned from ever composing again.