Did the Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5 Blu-Ray/DVD release have Kenji Yamamoto's ost or Shunsuke Kikuchi's ost?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

superfan2024
Regular

Did the Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5 Blu-Ray/DVD release have Kenji Yamamoto's ost or Shunsuke Kikuchi's ost?

Post by superfan2024 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:37 pm

I'm wondering this because even though although Yamamoto was fired around March 9th 2011, i'm seeing clips on YT (that are not from the Nicktoons broadcast, and that are english dubbed) that have his ost in episodes such as episodes

60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSNtBhVAqhM

64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFQatRxwJg

To clarify, episode 60 and 64's uncut release was part of part 5's release, which had episodes 53-65. Episode 60 aired March 9th, which was when Toei announced Yamamoto's scandal/departure. Episode 64 first aired on Nicktoons May 30th 2011, which was a few months after Yamamoto's departure, but had Kikuchi's score. Part 5 was release on June 28th 2011, and that was also a few months after Yamamoto's departure.

With this info, i'm wondering how those clips had Yamamoto's background score. Did the users who uploaded those videos just manually placed those tracks themselves using the Japanese broadcast as reference, or did part 5's release had Yamamoto's background score?

DHM211
Advanced Regular

Re: Did the Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5 Blu-Ray/DVD release have Kenji Yamamoto's ost or Shunsuke Kikuchi's ost?

Post by DHM211 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:43 pm

superfan2024 wrote:I'm wondering this because even though although Yamamoto was fired around March 9th 2011, i'm seeing clips on YT (that are not from the Nicktoons broadcast, and that are english dubbed) that have his ost in episodes such as episodes

60: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSNtBhVAqhM

64: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFFQatRxwJg

To clarify, episode 60 and 64's uncut release was part of part 5's release, which had episodes 53-65. Episode 60 aired March 9th, which was when Toei announced Yamamoto's scandal/departure. Episode 64 first aired on Nicktoons May 30th 2011, which was a few months after Yamamoto's departure, but had Kikuchi's score. Part 5 was release on June 28th 2011, and that was also a few months after Yamamoto's departure.

With this info, i'm wondering how those clips had Yamamoto's background score. Did the users who uploaded those videos just manually placed those tracks themselves using the Japanese broadcast as reference, or did part 5's release had Yamamoto's background score?
Parts 5 - 8, and seasons 1 -4, all have Kickuchis score. Some fans muted his soundtrack on certain scenes and inserted the Yamamoto score themselves, which are the ones you're seeing on youtube.

thaman91
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Re: Did the Dragon Ball Z Kai Part 5 Blu-Ray/DVD release have Kenji Yamamoto's ost or Shunsuke Kikuchi's ost?

Post by thaman91 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

I bet they're from the Yamamoto Revival Project which, like you guessed, used the Japanese broadcast as a reference and manually added the Yamamoto score to the dub Parts 5-8 (by separating the voices from the 5.1 mix, applying reverb to them as needed, and then adding the tracks).

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Wed Mar 29, 2017 8:12 pm

One of these days I'd like to see raw rips of Nicktoons episodes that had Yamamoto that were Kikuchi in Part 5, and see if it sounds better than the Yamamoto Revival Project in some areas. Not to mention web rips of the episodes which were broadcast on Nicktoons with some tracks switched around right before the big Kikuchi swap.
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 7:28 am

Danfun64 wrote:One of these days I'd like to see raw rips of Nicktoons episodes that had Yamamoto that were Kikuchi in Part 5, and see if it sounds better than the Yamamoto Revival Project in some areas. Not to mention web rips of the episodes which were broadcast on Nicktoons with some tracks switched around right before the big Kikuchi swap.
This video contains Trunks Killing Freeza in the Kai with OG music, the Kai early change that still had Yamamoto music, and the Kikuchi music. The early change only had like 2 or 3 songs changed from Rpisode 55 and 57.

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34