Does Movie BGM take too long to debut on TV?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Rukawa11
Not-So-Newbie

Does Movie BGM take too long to debut on TV?

Post by Rukawa11 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Is anybody else bothered by the fact that bgm from the movies took forever to debut in the Anime series? For example, the piece played when Goku finishes off Broly in movie 8 really had a "main theme" kind of potential, and yet we had to wait until Goku vs. Majin Vegeta to hear it in the TV series, and we never got to hear it again.

I think the sound director or whoever was in charge of placing Kikuchi's music in the TV series had made wrong judgments more than 50% of the time.
Last edited by Rukawa11 on Fri Mar 24, 2017 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bansho64
I Live Here

Re: Movies BGM take too long to debut on TV

Post by Bansho64 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 5:37 pm

A little, but not much. There are many tracks that I felt could've been utilized that came from the movies, but I felt that a lot of em were placed just fine 80% of the time.

As for decisions with placing Kikuchi's stuff, I'd have to disagree. Majority of the time, I thought they made some pretty good placements.

Rukawa11
Not-So-Newbie

Re: Movies BGM take too long to debut on TV

Post by Rukawa11 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 6:00 pm

Bansho64 wrote:A little, but not much. There are many tracks that I felt could've been utilized that came from the movies, but I felt that a lot of em were placed just fine 80% of the time.

As for decisions with placing Kikuchi's stuff, I'd have to disagree. Majority of the time, I thought they made some pretty good placements.
Here are a few scenes where I think they could've used better music:

- Goku going ssj for the first time.
- Vegeta going ssj for the first time.
- ssj Gohan emerging from the rubble after Piccolo had presumed him dead against Cell.
- Goku's emotional speech to Gohan before teleporting Cell away from the planet.

Even worse than not placing them correctly is when some awesome tracks aren't used a lot. I could be wrong, but the melancholic music that played when Bardock sees a phantom of adult Goku on Namek and tries reaching out to him (uttering an almost eye-watering "Kakarotto") may not have appeared in the TV Series. I only remember it from Movie 1 when Garlic Jr. beats Kami then grabs him by his clothes. I think it's blasphemous for this piece not have appeared at least five times in the series, especially with all the emotional scenes involving Future Trunks or ssj2 Gohan.

Captain-Sora
Regular

Re: Does Movie BGM take too long to debut on TV?

Post by Captain-Sora » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:35 am

Rukawa11 wrote:Is anybody else bothered by the fact that bgm from the movies took forever to debut in the Anime series? For example, the piece played when Goku finishes off Broly in movie 8 really had a "main theme" kind of potential, and yet we had to wait until Goku vs. Majin Vegeta to hear it in the TV series, and we never got to hear it again.
It's more of a Goku theme than a full on main theme (not that it couldn't double as both considering older Goku-related material was often made up of rearrangements of DB's opening early on anyway). You hear a few different renditions of the leitmotif in that film, and then it reappears some of the later ones revolving around scenes with Goku. I'm particularly fond of the dying rendition that intermingles with Janemba's material just as he's about to get sliced up in Movie 12.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Re: Does Movie BGM take too long to debut on TV?

Post by floofychan333 » Sat Mar 25, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm more bothered that some movie BGMs are extremely underused. Kikuchi tended to compose a huge variety of BGMs but the only ones that got extensive use were the battle ones, which he didn't compose many of.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu