Bruce Faulconer or Shunsuke Kikuchi ?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

cRookie_Monster
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Bruce Faulconer or Shunsuke Kikuchi ?

Post by cRookie_Monster » Sun Apr 09, 2017 5:05 am

Kokonoe wrote:
cRookie_Monster wrote:Thanks! I had a hand in 3 of the 5 you called out, so I wanted to tell you that it's really appreciated.
:shock: How awesome it is to hear from someone who worked on my favorite anime OST of all time. :D I'm glad you enjoyed my impressions, and all I can say is...thank you for your work on this series, it truly made an impact on my childhood.

I take it you worked on the Trunks themes, what is the third one?
Pleasure's mine. I played lead guitar on Hell's Bells and wrote/sequenced the arrangements for Episodic Trunks and Cell Returns. Mike Smith of course wrote the original Trunks theme (Heroic Trunks) and Perfect Cell theme. He also wrote Hell's Bells (his original version is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7GpeZBqKQWU, then I come in freestyle at the 1 minute mark)
- Scott
http://morganstudios.com

Waverace777

Post by Waverace777 » Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:53 am

So Hi everyone,I am Roy Sourboy aka Waverace777 ,I have been writing this long message like a FULLY ChARGED FINAL FLASH VS CELL since I'm new here and I have to wait to get my account approved so I have plenty of time to write this off. Also sorry for my bad writing :D I feel sorry already . I wrote everything out of order :D LUL had to reorganize it but This message is just my way to Thank everyone and share my random thoughts.

YOU'RE GOING TO DESTROY THE WHOLE PLANET FATHER !!!!!!!!!!! YOU'VE GOT TO STOP IT !!!!!
(Krilin is smart, he heard the piano already)
TRUNKS , LETS GO !!!!
FINAL ... FLASh !!!!! HAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (notice that small silence in the piano during the words FINAL FLASH and then' HAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!! That right there ,do you feel the power?)
oh shit version :D

As a long time DBZ lover , I had to end up here eventually talking about OSTs. Even if everyone has their own preferences, Its always a long process. I was a faulconer hater (sort of) back in the days and now I LOVE IT <3 Couldnt breathe without (LUL) :)

At first, back in 1996 , I first read the manga, then I saw some Jp episodes and movies, and also french% . Then , as soon as we got the first US dub , I noticed the music was not the same and It just felt off. I wanted piccolo to say MAKANKOSAPPO , I didnt like the ocean dub that much and the music didnt help. The worst thing is I never really noticed the change in music (faulconer music)during freeza saga as I was not even into the US dub at all. So when I saw some Cell saga US dub later in the early 2000s, I heard the cell theme and the guitar and I still didnt really like it and thought it was the same guy who did the music in the early sagas . Even for the goku voice, I prefered the japanese voice actress for her delivering of those awesome screams :) But then dbz budokai 1 for the ps2 arrived and I had to cope with the US voices. Overall I always loved everything DBZ japanese version be it games or episodes etc... And then youtube and dailymotion came out , all kinds of video being posted, those early DBZ youtube poop era, as THE BALLS ARE INERT by kajetokun and like,I LMAO'ed so much and I slowly started to like the US dub a bit more than in the past. I also watched YUYU hakusho in eng dub during that time(upon discovering another youtube poop from kajetokun), so It was like, my first DUB anime that I prefered more than the original japanese version, and then berserk dub , and deathnote dub, my taste just got me further and further.

Also not to forget about the 'over 9000' wave of videos ,(i like that Brian drummond performance ) It took me a long time to learn about Chris Sabatt. It never got to me that it was not the same guy LUL. when I finally saw both version i thought Brian did his part very well , Chris too but the Vegeta's Wrath , Brian did a better performance, I cant forget about it. I saw people complaining about the lack of silence compared to the Kikuchi Ost , but sincerely I never really noticed until I saw people bringing it up. Sometimes the music is so subtle , it FUSES with the visuals completly. So I never think about it in a bad way , they had to make it like this , it's not really Faulconer's fault. I mean they were told to do it this way.
And then I discovered a video on youtube called Most underated bruce faulconer tracks in 2010 , or something like that. Just for the fake nostalgia of the alternate US dub version , mostly for the LULZ , But those theme were badass at most,as the tiltle said it was underated. The garlic jr theme comes to mind. I never liked the garlic jr. saga in the japanese version back in the days.But this theme made me like it in the end.

So , several years later and then after a long process , like I said, I finally accepted my fate. As I clicked on this FINAL FLASH HD VERSION on youtube, and I listen to it and I feel the power and compared the two versions. Man it felt great hearing the USA vegeta voice with all his lungs and the THEME , OMG , I fell in love with the music right away, I finally understood why I liked it.Had to read several youtube comments to confirm what I thought , every Quote in the comments, like CELL !!!!! ONCE AGAIN YOU HAVE TAKEN FOR GRANTED , THE POWER OF A TRUE SAYAIN WARRIOR !!!! and like the one with majin vegeta HIS DEBTS !!!! MUST BE PAID !!!!!!! (notice gohan's reaction) I had to rewatch everything , all the dbz ocean 1-53 and switch to funidub with bruce ost. *i love you for what you did Scott Morgan, for the work you did :D you really are a hero. ❤Also Mike Smith and Julius, you guys ROCK. I had to watch it as it was intended here in north america. I had to do this and really compare what I was the most accustomed to . Everything felt greater, I could name some songs but its like its EVERYWHERE, I don't even have to point it out. But as a real fan I must share my joy about the Faulconer tracks during every scene, be it action , dramatic, sad theme, its all 100% to me. It fits DBZ so well , I wonder why I hated it in the past. And I see all those discussions about it and Had to create an account just for it. As soon as I saw THE MAN , SCOTT MORGAN in that thread , I was decided to share all.(everytime i see you scott on some comments or forum it really feel great, you are GOKU !!! Everyday I listen to dbz musics or scene from youtube in one earphone while I work. HELL BELLS ❤ TRUNKS THEME OVERALL ❤ the theme that plays when goku is about to teleport with cell to save the earth ❤ Vegeta vs Freeza theme (the guitar is just so BADASS and the DRUM TOO !!! ) The last 10secs of the pikkon's theme is so godlike, infact the entire song but the end is just so godlike.

All those tracks that I used to make fun of became a true masterpiece to my eyes. COUGH* pikkon's theme *COUGH!!!! :D Now It's really like I will never enjoy the japanese ost for what it is again, apart from the nostalgia. My tastes evolved. It's only recently in 2017 that I re-watched everything and every theme that I used to love in the japanese version like vegeta theme or piccolo's theme and the gohan ssj2 song with vocals (the trunks theme hikari no will power in the psx games and early super famicom games which are off topic but still) felt inferior to some extent. Even with real instruments. Also , having a bunch of characters specific theme in the US dub is really a plus in my opinion. As soon as I understood there was a vegeta's theme and that it is really nicely used in every badass scene vegeta is talking there was no turning back. Sometimes it's nice to have something refreshing like this, its really another dimension :D
I mean sure I like the japanese version but after a while it gets old, and I agree it sounds a bit like hanna barbara at some point even if they still have some guitar at some other points.

(Frieza ginyu theme = Android 16 theme is so godlike (I WILL KILL CELL speech ) , Android 16 rips cell's tails off , Every cell themes (especially the cell 1st form , so scary )
Mystic Gohan( in fact every gohan themes) Hyper bolic time chamber (the future Trunks monologue comes to mind) Goku super sayain3 theme
Ginyu force theme (when jeice get killed) , When vegeta sacrifices himself to kill buu (this moment is incredible when HELLS BELLS kicks in)Vegeta first time super sayain vs android 19. Vegetto's theme.
The Future trunks power up theme against Cell (Krillin: AWRIGHT TRUNKS , THIS IS IT !!! If you're still planing on saving Vegeta , you better not wait any longer) Then the Trunks theme literally bursts out and the intensity in Trunks face just before he begins to really power up , and then I just cannot express how much this high pitch noise really nails it . ❤ A little help from a friend ❤ Super namek ❤When Piccolo is doing his light grenade: MAKOSEN HA !!!!!!! vs imperfect cell and then the nice transition into the dragon theme OMG <3 Dude , even the News theme that played during the imperfect cell saga, As soon as I heard that little one tone news theme I was HOOKED, whenever that small quiet news theme played , I was looking at my screen as if Cell was in town. Really HYPE . I tell you , that News theme . Enough said. Every time I hear the ending theme of the episode , I can't describe how hype I am.

*You question me , you Body snatcher?!!! HUH !!!?? Well...I Guess i'll just show you then :P (vegeta to ginyu after killing jeice and then vegeta meteor smashes ginyu to the ground and as the explosion happens the ending theme slowly comes out of the fucking bushes :D I really love that part.
The sage music that plays when goku powers up his kaioken vs captain ginyu .(everything I said is about the old broadcast version on toonami or vhs , i didnt see all of the remastered .) Chris Sabatt and
I could go on forever but its already forever as it is. And when I think about a good dbz song in the japanese version , sure I like some , maybe 4 or 5 of them but it's really not on the same level. I just love the whole US Ost more and the fact that every scene was tailored made with music in mind makes it just perfect. I dont mind the edits (shift in music) and the lack of silence anyway.

BLABLABLA the best thing is to enjoy the japanese version first and then let the US DUB WIN the GRAND FINAL !!! .Every scene that I was used to watch in japanese now became much more intense with this Ost. Not everyone is gonna like it, but give it some time, like an old wine it will only taste better as time goes :P I also prefer sega genesis music over snes to some extent :D never underestimate VEGETA ❤
so that's it , bye guys.

Danfun64
Advanced Regular

Post by Danfun64 » Mon Jul 10, 2017 10:07 pm

Your first post here not only bumps a two month old post but is a hard to read TL:DR... Not the best ways to be integrated into this community...
Robo4900 wrote:Mouse is BRILLIANT SCIENTIST dumb.
CAT LOVES FOOD dumb.
Jack is just kinda dumb.

TheOne
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by TheOne » Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:23 pm

Rukawa11 wrote:
Liquir wrote:Which do you prefer and which do you advise me to watch for the Rest of the Series ?
I'm a fan of the original score despite pointing out its many flaws in other threads. Most of us here would probably tell you to go for the Japanese soundtrack, but it really depends entirely on what sort of experience you'd like to have. I'm 100% behind Mike/EX in spreading the Dragonball love but our opinions diverge as far as the ost is concerned. To me, there's no such thing as "watching DBZ the way it was intended to be watched." At least, not when it comes to the music.

Consider these points, and I hope they'll make it easier for you to decide.

- What Kikuchi's ost gives you:
1) Very beautiful and heartwarming music during peaceful scenes. Kikuchi can never go wrong with these.
2) Incredibly sinister and foreboding music that lends the series a much darker air. At times, it even makes villains out of heroes.
3) Real Music: expertly played classical instruments which any musician would salute.
- What Kikuchi's ost doesn't give you:
1) Exciting music that matches the adrenaline rush of the fight scenes.
2) Catchy/ hooky melodies that augment the flashiness of post-Super Saiyan episodes.

What Faulconer's music gives you (pretty much what Kikuchi's doesn't):
1) Upbeat music that (for better or worse) is tailor-made to match every punch, break in the action, and sudden bursts of speed. To me, this is actually distracting, but many fans seem to love it.
2) An almost Linkin Park-era DBZ Music Videos experience. Pieces like "Heroic Trunks," along with the two played during Goku's ssj3 powerup and ssj2 Gohan destroying the Cell Jrs. admittedly have a "Crawling" and "Numb" kind of impact in the sense that they use keyboard cultivated sounds to empower an already hooky melody. But if you're not from the Hybrid Theory/ Meteora era, this point doesn't matter at all.

What Faulconer's music doesn't gives you:
Real Music.

In the end, it doesn't even matter what version you choose because Dragonball has proven enjoyable even with other composers like Tokunaga (DBGT), Sumimoto (Super), and Yamamoto (DBZ insert songs/ games).
As someone who has two degrees in music and occasionally subs in a regional orchestra, I still prefer the Faulconer Dub lol :wink:
How i predict the tournament will end:

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:03 am

For the superior experience, I'd always say watch in Japanese. That's definitely how I'd introduce it to someone.

However, if you're going to watch the English dub, you might as well watch it with the Faulconer score which was tailor made for it, especially if you're partially watching out of nostalgia.

nato25
Advanced Regular

Post by nato25 » Mon Aug 07, 2017 8:55 am

There was a great thread like a year ago that may still be active, it compared both scores in certain scenes. Both offer a unique experience. I compared two clips of Gohan going SSJ for the first time in Time Chamber/ROSAT and I found pros and cons to both tracks with me preferring the falconer track slightly in that scenario. If anyone finds that threat please post it here because it was awesome and didn't devolve into a falconer sucks because it's not the original thing.

SoundVox

Post by SoundVox » Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:11 pm

I prefer Kikuchi, Dub or Japanese. But I enjoyed Kikuchi's Dragon Ball score more than the score for Z overall. There's a lot of songs I like from Z, but DB has more songs I remember. Now this could be due to their decision not to change music for DB's dub on Toonami. Had they done the same for Z, who knows? While there's track I love from the BF ost, overall, the music sounds....empty? I can't describe it, but it feels like it's missing something structurally. And while there are those stand out tracks, majority of the music feels clumsy at times, the stuff in between is unbearable for me. Doesn't help a lot of the songs have weird filler noises between them for scenes.

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Wed Aug 23, 2017 4:57 pm

SoundVox wrote:I prefer Kikuchi, Dub or Japanese. But I enjoyed Kikuchi's Dragon Ball score more than the score for Z overall. There's a lot of songs I like from Z, but DB has more songs I remember. Now this could be due to their decision not to change music for DB's dub on Toonami. Had they done the same for Z, who knows? While there's track I love from the BF ost, overall, the music sounds....empty? I can't describe it, but it feels like it's missing something structurally. And while there are those stand out tracks, majority of the music feels clumsy at times, the stuff in between is unbearable for me. Doesn't help a lot of the songs have weird filler noises between them for scenes.
I couldn't agree more. Though DBZ produced some truly brilliant tracks, there simply wasn't enough variety in BGMs as the series wore on. Variations also became too indistinguishable and many great tracks used in movies just weren't used extensively in the show. Not to detract, obviously, because I love Kikuchi-sensei and his music, but unfortunately it goes downhill from the Cell arc.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu

Ariesx222

Post by Ariesx222 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 1:12 am

I watch it with both.
As much as I love Faulconer's score, there are a lot of scenes that don't have the same oomph

DragonBallKing
Regular

Post by DragonBallKing » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:26 pm

Maybe if Bruce Faulconer new when to shut up and leave silence it would be more of a contest, but as it is Kikuchi all the way. No silence is huge killer for me, and after being exposed to more Kikuchi I just prefer it overall. Although I can see why many prefer Faulconer because it sounds more rockish and fast paced comparable to the soundtracks for Naruto and Bleach, while the Kikuchi score sounds more like Fist of the North Star or even One Piece.
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:50 pm

Kinkuchi is music styled from the 1940's- Very outdated and old timey sounding! Faulconer's score is modern and fits with the shows modern asthetic much better...!

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:55 am

MrTennek wrote:Kinkuchi is music styled from the 1940's- Very outdated and old timey sounding! Faulconer's score is modern and fits with the shows modern asthetic much better...!
i don't hear any 1940's tunes, it captures what Dragon Ball is about and knows when to shut up unlike Faulconer music which is nothing but non stop loud synthesizers music which does not fit Dragon Ball.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:10 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
MrTennek wrote:Kinkuchi is music styled from the 1940's- Very outdated and old timey sounding! Faulconer's score is modern and fits with the shows modern asthetic much better...!
i don't hear any 1940's tunes, it captures what Dragon Ball is about and knows when to shut up unlike Faulconer music which is nothing but non stop loud synthesizers music which does not fit Dragon Ball.
Then 1950's! Haha! Either wiegh, it sounds too old .

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:20 am

MrTennek wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
you seem to have a stereotype of thinking old sounding means bad.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

Soppa Saia People
I Live Here

Post by Soppa Saia People » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:08 am

Lol, I don't think the Kikuchi score is even good, but are you really calling the Faulconer score modern in 2017 ? It's dated beyond belief, lol. It sounds straight out of the late 90s/early 00s.
Ripper 30 wrote:
MrTennek wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: i don't hear any 1940's tunes, it captures what Dragon Ball is about and knows when to shut up unlike Faulconer music which is nothing but non stop loud synthesizers music which does not fit Dragon Ball.
you seem to have a stereotype of thinking old sounding means bad.
I mean, music from the 40s aint really worth hearing, lol. 50s got some good stuff, but it's not to great
I have borderline personality disorder, if my posts ever come off as aggressive or word vomit-y to you, please let me know.

🇵🇸🇵🇸🇵🇸

MasenkoHA
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by MasenkoHA » Thu Mar 22, 2018 8:23 pm

Somehow I doubt you have ever heard anything from the 40s or 50s. Faulconer's score doesn't fit at all and it's clearly trying so hard to do what Batman Beyond was doing only it worked in Batman Beyond's setting. DBZ takes place in a fantasy world.

Bet you're one of those people who thinks listening to songs that came out over 3 years ago qualifies as listening to the oldies.

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Thu Mar 22, 2018 10:07 pm

Aside from a good few tracks from the FUNi Faulconer score, I prefer the original Kikuchi score as a whole instead. I don't mind listening to Faulconer's Super Boo theme (it's awesome) but I can't relate that to the actual DBZ series but rather as good music.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Fri Mar 23, 2018 11:15 pm

Well I like a few tracks from Faulconer but I prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

Bullza
Banned

Post by Bullza » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:18 am

Faulconer. The Kikuchi's score is dreadful.

As I've been rewatching the show, I got up to the part where Gohan access his Ultimate form just before he goes back to Earth. The Faulconer score plays the "Gohan Powers Up" track there which is a really good one.

I was curious what the scene sounded like in Japanese....good god it was awful, the music...it was like something you'd probably here during the comedic parts when they were in Penguin Village.

It was that awful and out of place that I wondered if there was some mistake so I found it on Youtube and no it really is the right one. Just downright dreadful.

Aside from that while I have been watching the show with the Faulconer score, I have heard bits and pieces here and there and it mostly just sounds all the same. Track after track being dreary as it could possibly be, the same tracks that I seemed to hear when I watched the original Dragon Ball.

And even though the show by this point was in the mid 90's, the music sounds that dated that it's like something you would hear in some of those really naff Chinese martial arts movies in the 70's.

Thankfully the Dragon Ball Super score was nothing at all like the Kikuchi one. It was actually much more like the Faulconer one.

Doctor.
Banned

Post by Doctor. » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:37 am

Bullza wrote:Faulconer. The Kikuchi's score is dreadful.

As I've been rewatching the show, I got up to the part where Gohan access his Ultimate form just before he goes back to Earth. The Faulconer score plays the "Gohan Powers Up" track there which is a really good one.

I was curious what the scene sounded like in Japanese....good god it was awful, the music...it was like something you'd probably here during the comedic parts when they were in Penguin Village.

It was that awful and out of place that I wondered if there was some mistake so I found it on Youtube and no it really is the right one. Just downright dreadful.

Aside from that while I have been watching the show with the Faulconer score, I have heard bits and pieces here and there and it mostly just sounds all the same. Track after track being dreary as it could possibly be, the same tracks that I seemed to hear when I watched the original Dragon Ball.

And even though the show by this point was in the mid 90's, the music sounds that dated that it's like something you would hear in some of those really naff Chinese martial arts movies in the 70's.

Thankfully the Dragon Ball Super score was nothing at all like the Kikuchi one. It was actually much more like the Faulconer one.
Sumitomo's score was nothing like Faulconer's outside of the synth at the start of Super, which got dropped in the following arcs and was hated almost unanimously.