Your favorite original soundtrack from the games.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Grimlock
Kicks it Old-School

Your favorite original soundtrack from the games.

Post by Grimlock » Sat Apr 08, 2017 10:06 pm

What's your favorite original soundtrack that the games developers have ever composed?

Mine is Namek Stage/Metal Cooler from Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. Damn this one is epic, a masterpiece amongst masterpieces. I knew there was something about this one since it was played briefly in one of the trailers, but when I actually got to listen to it fully, I fell in love with it right away.

Honorable mention to the one I liked (even though it was never a favorite) before XV2's soundtrack: Lonesome Wild from Dragon Ball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2.
Goodbye friend. You are weak, so you must be destroyed!

~ War of the Dinobots ~

90sDBZ
I Live Here

Re: Your favorite original soundtrack from the games.

Post by 90sDBZ » Sun Apr 09, 2017 2:53 pm

Does "original soundtrack" include the plagiarised Budokai music? If not then I've gotta go with the English Tenkaichi 2 score. Fly High, Go Ahead, Dark Half, Lost Courage, Jungle, Mind Space, and many of the other tracks are awesome.

And I really like Chow Castle, Kings Castle, and the Tournament theme from Advanced Adventure on GBA.

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:46 am

The opening theme for Budokai 3 is to my ears one of the most DBZ-sounding songs from any of the games.

Whenever I get to the final match of a tournament and that song kicks in it just feels like Dragon Ball. It's one of my favorite little tunes to play as a warmup.

Deathbringer
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by Deathbringer » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:07 am

Grimlock wrote: Mine is Namek Stage/Metal Cooler from Dragon Ball Xenoverse 2. Damn this one is epic, a masterpiece amongst masterpieces. I knew there was something about this one since it was played briefly in one of the trailers, but when I actually got to listen to it fully, I fell in love with it right away.
Damn that sounds good, totally getting a Streets of Rage sort of vibe from it,

for my pick if main themes count then even though I've never actually played a Dragon Ball game I've heard some of the music here and there and this one sounds the best to me: Dragon Ball Final Bout main theme "The Biggest Fight", has a really nice Dragon Ball feel, it totally sounds like it would have worked as an insert song for the anime like Mesaze Tenkaichi or Dragon Ball Densetsu.

Quebaz
Advanced Regular

Post by Quebaz » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:54 pm

My favourite as of late has been Snake Way from Extreme Butouden. I love EB's soundtrack as a whole, they sound like Daisuki Ishiwatari's offerings without going full metal and man it sounds so good.
A LUZ INFINITA!
Steam: Quebaz
PSN: BSSJ3
Tumblr

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:21 pm

Most likely Challengers or Lost Courage, but DBZ games mostly have had amazing music associated with them. Love Budokai series music, a lot of Tenkaichi series music, and Raging Blast 2 is so good.

https://soundcloud.com/kokonoe-aiyoko/c ... 2-official

https://soundcloud.com/meloettodio-s2nd ... st-courage

Nightmare Wheel
Beyond Newbie

Post by Nightmare Wheel » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:22 pm

Even though it's not particularly fitting for combat, I'm a big fan of Shine from BT3 just as a song. The Heat from RB1 is another favorite of mine.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:27 pm

Nightmare Wheel wrote:Even though it's not particularly fitting for combat, I'm a big fan of Shine from BT3 just as a song. The Heat from RB1 is another favorite of mine.
Haven't played Raging Blast 1 outside of the demo so I don't recall this track, but gat dayum, that guitar is so smooth and lovely.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:20 am

Burst Limit's soundtrack kicks total ass. My favorite track being "Sky City".

Eternal Super Saiyan
Advanced Regular

Post by Eternal Super Saiyan » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:39 pm

Since I have a battle between Budokai/IW, Ultimate Battle 22 (nostalgic!), and Tenkaichi 2, I'll just list them as my top 3.

A couple tracks from Shin Budokai 2: Another Road are very epic but unfortunately much of the soundtrack in that game fell short.
Nightmare Wheel wrote:Even though it's not particularly fitting for combat, I'm a big fan of Shine from BT3 just as a song. The Heat from RB1 is another favorite of mine.
I remember renting the 1st Raging Blast many years ago and returning it hours later... lol. Game play I hated, but I suppose I could sample all the music from every game as I have all the OST's.
"Lord Beers, what are those?? Do they taste like root beer?" ~ Goku

Mark Simmons

Post by Mark Simmons » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:03 am

There are a few: Jade Empire, Witcher trilogy, Mass Effect trilogy, Assassin's creed 2.
You can do more, you can always do more. Just try harder.

Kokonoe
Not Banned

Post by Kokonoe » Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:10 am

Lord Beerus wrote:Burst Limit's soundtrack kicks total ass. My favorite track being "Sky City".
Great taste! And yeah, I love Burst Limit's OST, and Sky City has always been a favorite of mine. Even better in FLAC quality.
Eternal Super Saiyan wrote:A couple tracks from Shin Budokai 2: Another Road are very epic but unfortunately much of the soundtrack in that game fell short.
Since I didn't play Shin Budokai much, care to post some of your favorites? Interested in hearing more great music from DBZ games of that era.

Gogito

Post by Gogito » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:44 pm

I adore the Beerus fight theme from Xenoverse 2 it just felt like such a good fit for what was a challenging battle for me. It also holds a lot of value to me as it was the OST that played when I had my most narrow victory online (Luckiest.Giant.Storm.Ever). In fact I love the entire Xenoverse 2 OST like all the fight themes and the character selection theme. Apart from Xenoverse 2 I love the Final Bout opening music!

DB1984
Banned

Post by DB1984 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 11:20 am

I don't care if this is plagiarized. It's even better than the real thing, as U2 said in one of their songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0LtytTGQYlo

Kaio_Krazy
Not-So-Newbie

Post by Kaio_Krazy » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:07 am

Glad I wasn't the only one to like the Burst Limit soundtrack. I personally think it's an underrated Dragon Ball game, but if nothing else, it's most deserves some love. I'll share three of my favorites.

"Captain Thrill" is what I've come to associate DB most with, in terms of music, and that's definitely because of me growing up with the Budokai games. It's got that jazz/funk sound to it, that just gives any fight an upbeat, classy, coolness factor.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=WGrhfSXEz78

"Hatred at Two Power" is just a solid fight song. It's got some great guitar riffs in there, and the little bit of piano gives it a slightly somber feel.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nC2FlGq5sd4

"Final Decisive Battle" is simply epic. The perfect song to accompany the final fight against Freeza, it really brings out how cinematic that battle is. If Burst Limit had Chris Ayres voicing Freeza, I would say that this is the best this fight has ever looked and sounded in a game.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kCL9kPjS4bU

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Wed Apr 26, 2017 10:19 am

Super Butoden 2's "Gohan's Theme." I didn't even have to think twice. It's incredible. Linked is the "arranged" version, on the soundtrack that was sold in Japan separate from the game's release. It featured higher quality alternative versions to the entire soundtrack. This one is arguably the best revision on the disc and is 100% Gohan's theme in my head or whatever. If you want to find the original Super Famicom track, search for it on Youtube. It's easy to find and still fantastic, but this version needs more attention. Fun fact: TeamFourStar used this track for Gohan's Super Saiyan transformation scene - and it was perfect.
KorgDTR2000 wrote:The opening theme for Budokai 3 is to my ears one of the most DBZ-sounding songs from any of the games.
Whenever I get to the final match of a tournament and that song kicks in it just feels like Dragon Ball. It's one of my favorite little tunes to play as a warmup.
There's a reason for that. His name is Hironobu Kageyama. And I miss him so, so much. He didn't really go anywhere, he just hasn't touched Dragon Ball in a very long time. Ever seen One Punch Man?
EDIT: I just realized you linked the American cover. ...wh-what? Dude. DUDE.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★

Shiyonasan
Advanced Regular

Post by Shiyonasan » Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:11 pm

Hands down, it would have to be this song for me:

Budokai 1 - World Tournament: Battle Theme #3

Always pumped me up for having matches in the Budokai series.

This one is a very close second. It's my favorite rendition of Cha-La Head-Cha-La:

Budokai 1 - Cha La Head Cha La (Instrumental)

Anime Kitten
I Live Here

Post by Anime Kitten » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:02 pm

I can't say a definite favorite, but I greatly enjoy the Xenoverse and XV2 soundtracks, especially the Supervillain theme from XV2. Also, being a fan of Budokai 3's music, the XV2 Tenkaichi Budōkai Stage particularly appeals to me.

Other than that, Budokai Tenkaichi 3 and Raging Blast have great soundtracks as well!
MyAnimeList | AniList
Discord: suchmisfortune

KorgDTR2000
Beyond Newbie

Post by KorgDTR2000 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:49 am

Lunaar wrote:
KorgDTR2000 wrote:The opening theme for Budokai 3 is to my ears one of the most DBZ-sounding songs from any of the games.
There's a reason for that. His name is Hironobu Kageyama. And I miss him so, so much. He didn't really go anywhere, he just hasn't touched Dragon Ball in a very long time. Ever seen One Punch Man?
I never heard the sung version before lol. I just love the guitar playing in the instrumental version.

Lunaar
Patreon Supporter

Post by Lunaar » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 am

KorgDTR2000 wrote:
Lunaar wrote:
I never heard the sung version before lol. I just love the guitar playing in the instrumental version.
Haha, it's all good. I grew up with the instrumental version and still love it, but Kageyama's voice just elevates everything.
Gogegito wrote:Gotenks said "I cant let him fight just like that, please trunks help me, he's my brother" And trunks also had undesrstanding eyes.
Ajay wrote:It's probably savagely lit. I dunno.
Steam ID: Lunaar
★頭カラッポの方が 夢詰め込める★