Soundtrack to DB Movie #1

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

jpranevich
Beyond Newbie

Soundtrack to DB Movie #1

Post by jpranevich » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:09 pm

I am just making it to DB Movie #1 as I watch all of DB in order (between episodes 43 and 44!) and I am curious about a movie soundtrack for this one. I know there was none officially released, but is the BGM and such available in other collections?

(Also, I am very disappointed that they did not re-animate the opening, instead re-using the existing TV opening. With the rest of the movie being nicer resolution on FunimationNow, it really stood out.)

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Re: Soundtrack to DB Movie #1

Post by Lord Beerus » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:16 am

I've not come across it in other collections, but I may be greatly mistaken. If anything, I hope this helps. :)

kenisu3000
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by kenisu3000 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 3:53 pm

I think the OP is talking about DragonBall (not Z) movie 1.

There's never been anything close to a complete release, but a teensy tiny part of the "Legend of Shen Long" score is available on the 5-CD Daizenshuu set. For reference, you can look at my BGM documentation (scroll down past episode 43 for the first movie) to see what's officially released and what isn't (spoiler: going by duration, only a third of the movie's score is released. Going by number of cues, the proportion of unreleased to released is horrifying).

However, Zestanor's done quite an amazing job reconstructing an isolated DB soundtrack. He did what he could for this movie - meaning some cues still have sound effects and part of the FUNi dub's vocal track - but that's still probably the best that could be done. You'll want to take a look at this post (uncover the spoiler for M2XX - that's the recording session for DB movie 1).
BGM forever! If only more people paid attention to it... well, I intend to change that.

Kojiro Sasaki
Banned

Post by Kojiro Sasaki » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:16 pm

jpranevich wrote:I am just making it to DB Movie #1 as I watch all of DB in order (between episodes 43 and 44!) and I am curious about a movie soundtrack for this one. I know there was none officially released, but is the BGM and such available in other collections?
Only the following tracks were released:
1. M201
2. M202
3. M229
4. M247
5. M261
6. M262
7. M264

You can find them on Dragon Ball & Dragon Ball Z: Great Complete Collection 5CD set (ドラゴンボール&ドラゴンボールZ 大全集).
Disc 2: Track 23. 孫悟空の逆襲 (second music piece (M247))
Disc 5: Track 2. 神龍の伝説 (M201, M202, M229, M261, M262, M264 respectively)
kenisu3000 wrote:However, Zestanor's done quite an amazing job reconstructing an isolated DB soundtrack. He did what he could for this movie - meaning some cues still have sound effects and part of the FUNi dub's vocal track - but that's still probably the best that could be done. You'll want to take a look at this post (uncover the spoiler for M2XX - that's the recording session for DB movie 1).
Does anybody know what's going on with Zestanor? :shock: He is inactive since January 16th...

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 pm

kenisu3000 wrote:I think the OP is talking about DragonBall (not Z) movie 1.
Woops. My bad. :oops: :shifty:

floofychan333
Advanced Regular

Post by floofychan333 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:31 pm

I think all the tracks are on YouTube on the brilliant PopaLarge's channel. I'd suggest checking that out.
"All of you. All of you must have KILL all the SEASONS!" -Dough (Tenshinhan), Speedy Dub of Movie 9.

"My opinion of Norihito's Sumitomo's new score is... well, very mixed. The stuff that's good is pretty darn good, but the stuff that's bad makes elevator music sound like Jerry freaking Goldsmith." -Kenisu