Why didn't Goku's first SSJ transformation get a unique insert song.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

DragonBallKing
Regular

Why didn't Goku's first SSJ transformation get a unique insert song.

Post by DragonBallKing » Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:05 pm

They gave one to Gohan, so why not Goku in probably the most iconic moment in Dragon ball
Check out my MAL page: https://myanimelist.net/profile/RapeHorse

Original Dragon Ball arcs ranking: 23rd Budokai, Saiyan, 21st Budokai, Red Ribbon, Freeza, Piccolo Daimao, 22nd Budokai, DB Hunt, Cell, Buu

ChiefWamsutta
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Why didn't Goku's first SSJ transformation get a unique insert song.

Post by ChiefWamsutta » Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:04 pm

Very good question ... hmmmm, I am not sure. Maybe budget? :think:

Dbzfan94
Born 'n Bred Here

Post by Dbzfan94 » Sun Jun 25, 2017 12:42 pm

Yeah, using the same track they used 20 other times really lessened the moment for me.

ConfusedPhantom
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by ConfusedPhantom » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:06 pm

Probably because it would distract the direction the scene was going for, which is terror and confusion. But, I guess if someone is creative enough they could make something work?

8000 Saiyan
I Live Here

Post by 8000 Saiyan » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:11 pm

Because Goku's SSJ transformation was supposed to be played differently than Gohan's SSJ2 transformation.
"It was deemed to be too awesome." - Scott McNeil on Dragon Ball Kai not being aired yet in Canada.

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:06 am

Dbzfan94 wrote:Yeah, using the same track they used 20 other times really lessened the moment for me.
I think still that theme was million times better than Faulconer's Music which sounded like a generic power rangers theme
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

coola
I Live Here

Post by coola » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:44 am

They really should use Super Dragon Soul, it fits perfectly too :(
My Twitter: @kamil198811
Bulma fan
Thanks to Discotek:
Magic Knight Rayearth get DVD release in 2015 and Blu-Ray release on 2016
Saint Seiya: The Lost Canvas get DVD release in 2015

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Tue Jun 27, 2017 9:48 am

The transformation isn't an 'awesome' scene. It's a horror scene, one great horror playing after another as Gokuu reacts to the death of Kuririn and supposed death of Piccolo. It'd be terribly unbalanced to then follow that up with some sort of 'cool' scene.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

The gr
I Live Here

Post by The gr » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:05 pm

Dbzfan94 wrote:Yeah, using the same track they used 20 other times really lessened the moment for me.
IIRC the track that played when Goku transform ss for the first time was only used in episode 95
Mostly active on discord.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Jun 27, 2017 1:40 pm

The gr wrote:
IIRC the track that played when Goku transform ss for the first time was only used in episode 95
Well, using kenisu's site, I count it being used 31 times prior to its usage in DBZ episode 95 (including at the end of just one episode prior). And it's originally a piece composed for DBZ movie 1.

That being said, I continue to identity it almost exclusively with Goku's transformation. As I look back through the scenes it's documented to have played alongside, I'm like... yeah, I guess it was used there... but I just don't associate it with any TV series scene besides Goku's transformation. Second to that is its movie 1 usage, of course.

Of the existing compositions, it was the perfect piece for that scene.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

Jinzoningen MULE
I Live Here

Post by Jinzoningen MULE » Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 pm

I don't know if an insert song would've been appropriate there, but it would've been neat to see it tried back when Kai was airing, I guess.
Retired.

Lord Beerus
Namekian Warrior

Post by Lord Beerus » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:09 pm

JulieYBM wrote:The transformation isn't an 'awesome' scene. It's a horror scene, one great horror playing after another as Gokuu reacts to the death of Kuririn and supposed death of Piccolo. It'd be terribly unbalanced to then follow that up with some sort of 'cool' scene.
Exactly. The moment that Goku become a Super Saiyan is one of the darkest in the story up until that point because Goku, for all intents and purposes, literally has a mental breakdown and fucking snaps. The original score from Shunsuke Kikuchi captures the horror of that moment perfectly.

NintendoBlaze53
Regular

Post by NintendoBlaze53 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 8:55 am

I'm still shocked Super Dragon Soul wasn't used. I edited it in there and it fit perfectly, especially if you use the more somber part from the final chorus for the moment Goku achieves the transformation. Either way I'm more shocked Saiyan Blood wasn't used for SSj Vegeta's first transformation, TeamFourStar put it in and it works wonders.
"You should enjoy the little detours. To the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want." -Ging Freecss

If you care about opinionated/critical analysis and reviews of anime, manga and gaming products, feel free to check out my website. https://otakustance.wordpress.com/

Bear

Post by Bear » Tue Jul 11, 2017 11:53 pm

I think that one of the themes from Movie 4 would have been great. The pieces from when Shen Long is summoned, and, when Goku turns "Super Saiyan" would of both worked great, especially since the score hadn't been used in the series yet.
Big Green: And you say you're the prince of the Space Warriors.
Vejituh: Oh Big Green, face reali-TY!

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Post by TheGreatness25 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:40 pm

Are we talking about the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z?

Well regardless of whether it was used before or not, according to the "Dragon Ball Z: BGM Collection," disc 1, the song is called "Son Goku The Super Saiyan (Theatrical Dragon Ball Z Suites). I think that's what the song is heavily associated with. Yes, I recognize it from the first Z movie, I think, but I think it has a strong association with that first Super Saiyan transformation.

What was the insert song used for Gohan's transformation? Are we talking about the "Spirit vs. Spirit" song? I feel like I never actually heard it in the series just like I never heard "No Will Power" for Trunks. Did Funimation pluck those out even from their Japanese tracks? I guess I never watched that part of the Japanese Dragon Box.

simtek34
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by simtek34 » Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:41 pm

TheGreatness25 wrote:Are we talking about the Japanese version of Dragon Ball Z?

Well regardless of whether it was used before or not, according to the "Dragon Ball Z: BGM Collection," disc 1, the song is called "Son Goku The Super Saiyan (Theatrical Dragon Ball Z Suites). I think that's what the song is heavily associated with. Yes, I recognize it from the first Z movie, I think, but I think it has a strong association with that first Super Saiyan transformation.

What was the insert song used for Gohan's transformation? Are we talking about the "Spirit vs. Spirit" song? I feel like I never actually heard it in the series just like I never heard "No Will Power" for Trunks. Did Funimation pluck those out even from their Japanese tracks? I guess I never watched that part of the Japanese Dragon Box.
Yes, it was used https://youtu.be/qddtHLJMV5I?t=1m53s

Newbie — 06/27/2016
Not-So-Newbie — ???
Beyond Newbie — ???
Beyond-The-Beyond-Newbie — 12/20/2016
Regular — 02/05/2017
OMG CRAZY REG — 06/14/2017

Xbox Live: PlushGerm24109
Everywhere else: simtek34

Fizzer
Advanced Regular

Post by Fizzer » Fri Aug 04, 2017 8:54 am

An insert song, I'm not sure that would work, but it definitely deserved a new, evocative theme. Both Z and Kai used pieces that had been repeated over and over and become just standard BGM pieces. This is at least one good thing I can say about the Faulconer version, it used a new theme for the scene that definitely stood out from the music used for less pivotal scenes.

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Aug 05, 2017 12:34 pm

I was among the crowd that wanted "An Ultra-super Dragon Soul" to be played during Goku's first transformation during Kai's airing. Looking back, I'm very glad it didn't (although I really don't go back and revisit Kai). It wouldn't have been devastating if a insert song was played during it, but that song in particular just does not fit the mood.

As Mike said above, other than it's usage in the first DBZ movie, I can't think of any other scene off the top of my head that uses the BGM used in Z other than Goku's transformation. At that point, they could choose from anything from the first series, it's 3 movies, the batch that was created specifically for Z, and then the first 3 Z movies. There are a few other pieces I could MAYBE see liking there, something where it had been silent, and then once the form had fully been revealed, M1023 had played, which was something I always enjoyed about Goku's Super Saiyan 3 transformation (even though it did have a piece playing during it, but it's simply too long to have silence). It would have been incredibly simple to absolutely butcher this scene, and there's plenty of examples of it in the series. However, they knocked it out of the park with the piece they picked. No complaints at all.

As for Gohan's transformation, using "Day of Destiny –Spirit vs Spirit–" was brilliant. Comparing it to "An Ultra-super Dragon Soul", it is much more laid-back, and I'm very glad they went with it.

Out of curiosity, does anybody know what piece was used for the Kikuchi scoring in this scene for Kai? Part of me is scared to find out after seeing some of the music placement in Kai, but..

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:38 pm

RoarkVegeta wrote: Out of curiosity, does anybody know what piece was used for the Kikuchi scoring in this scene for Kai? Part of me is scared to find out after seeing some of the music placement in Kai, but..
It's track M1418 from Movie 7.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Post by RoarkVegeta » Sat Aug 05, 2017 1:42 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
RoarkVegeta wrote: Out of curiosity, does anybody know what piece was used for the Kikuchi scoring in this scene for Kai? Part of me is scared to find out after seeing some of the music placement in Kai, but..
It's track M1418 from Movie 7.
Hm..I don't really feel it from that. I would have rather them just use the original piece..but they did have a wide variety to work with. Could have been a better piece. I like it, but not the best usage.