Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: Who could have been the best successor to Kikuchi?

Post by Ripper 30 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:56 am

MrTennek wrote:All these Japanese composers sound far too retro and outdated. What Dragon Ball needs is a fresh new sound. Fresh like Faulconer was on the dub. Fuck yeah. 8)
are you trolling?
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.
My MAL profile : https://myanimelist.net/profile/Ripper_30

majinwarman
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by majinwarman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:44 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:
MrTennek wrote:All these Japanese composers sound far too retro and outdated. What Dragon Ball needs is a fresh new sound. Fresh like Faulconer was on the dub. Fuck yeah. 8)
are you trolling?
I would just ignore that post if I were you.
Majinwarman
So I'm 'evil', huh? Interesting."
A world without Dragon Ball is just meh.

MrTennek
Not-So-Newbie

Post by MrTennek » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:13 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
are you trolling?
No, i was not trolling. I grew up listening to the Faulconer soundtrack! And I like it a lot! Do you accuse anyone of not liking the things you do as trolling? :wtf:
majinwarman wrote:I would just ignore that post if I were you.
That is incredibly rude...Just because you don't agree with me...

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:47 am

MrTennek wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
are you trolling?
No, i was not trolling. I grew up listening to the Faulconer soundtrack! And I like it a lot! Do you accuse anyone of not liking the things you do as trolling? :wtf:
majinwarman wrote:I would just ignore that post if I were you.
That is incredibly rude...Just because you don't agree with me...
You need to listen to Geekdom's video on why Faulconer is not coming back to Dragon Ball. Plus, this is for Japanese dub of the show not the English Dub.
Majinwarman

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Wed Apr 04, 2018 5:32 pm

You're joking right?
Youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCud_Qw ... UxtYgOJ-LA
Currently making Dragon Ball Z Kai Kikuchi Revival viewtopic.php?f=6&t=41090

One_Instance
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by One_Instance » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:30 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:I think even his score was too modern and Hollywood Style Epic for Dragon Ball and didn't had that wuxia feel that kikuchi had, though his video games score was good.
I agree in thinking Yamamoto would be nice to still have around. Maybe it's nostalgia (Kai was how I got into Dragon Ball), but listening to his music now, I still really think it sounds like Dragon Ball music. Obviously, it's very far from Kikuchi's work, but it sounds perfect for a video game (wonder why :lol: ) -- a Dragon Ball video game. Maybe it's because he was so prevalent in the gaming side of things, but hearing his music, while not having that same "Dragon Ball" feeling Kikuchi has, it still sounds like a genuine Dragon Ball product.

I'd probably be happiest with anyone who can sound very similar to Kikuchi, but the fact of the matter is that Kikuchi's style in Tokusatsu shows and films and Kaiju movies that he worked on is mostly gone. You don't have the same sounds in modern Tokusatsu that you did when Kikuchi was first working on them and since those sounds aren't popular for that genre anymore (the only genre I think they were very popular in) we may just not have anyone around who can bring those sounds back to Dragon Ball. I don't see anyone making music like they did back in the day in Tokusatsu, let alone anime. It's really unfortunate too, because I love that music.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:37 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:As we all Know Shunsuke Kikuchi's score is the Heart and Soul of the Franchise and he will always be the Favourite DB composer for most of the Fans. As he took retirement after Doing DBZ and Tokunaga took over and did the music for GT which was fitting but for DB Kai we had Kenji Yamamoto Composing the music and had some good tracks too but too bad he plaguirized some songs so he was involved in the Controversy so he was replaced with Norihito Sumitomo who got mixed Reviews from Fans, as some liked his music and some people didn't. I personally think no one lived to Kikuchi's Standards and they could have choosen Hiroshi Takaki who did the Score for Episode of Bardock OVA and new Plan to Eradicate the Saiyan OVA which sounded good. what are your Thoughts ?
Either Kenji Yamamoto or Akihito Tokunaga

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:45 am

now after watching One Piece i think Kohei Tanaka could have been the best choice in Kai and Super as he did the arrangement for Makafushigi, Romantic Ageru and Red Ribbon Army Theme too.
I prefer Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, DB/Z/GT Movies, Dragon Ball Super and Dragon Ball GT in Japanese.
For DBZ Kai and two new Movies I like both Dub and Sub. I Prefer Shunsuke Kikuchi Soundtracks over All other Composers.

Robo4900
I Live Here

Post by Robo4900 » Thu May 03, 2018 8:14 pm

I'm of the opinion that they should have brought Tokunaga back for Kai, and just kept him on-board for the entire modern Dragon Ball era. He did outstanding stuff in GT and the 10th anniversary movie(IMO, the best music the Dragon Ball franchise has ever had), and while Yamamoto did an okay job in Kai, he never quite had the fluffy, whimsical, bright sounds Tokunaga and Kikuchi always had -- Yamamoto's was always a lot more serious and modern-sounding.
Tokunaga's had some harder tracks with some electric guitar in them, but his music was really widely varied, with some synth-y disco-y tracks, a lot of more regal horn-driven tracks, and a ton of really cool softer and lighter tracks... His range was just crazy, and ultimately, I consider him the true successor to Kikuchi, with him giving a unique but still very Dragon Ball-y sound with exactly the kind of range of tone you want; Yamamoto was just a pretty good modern Dragon Ball music guy. And the less said about Sumitomo, the better.
The point of Dragon Ball is to enjoy it. Never lose sight of that.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:24 pm

Ripper 30 wrote:now after watching One Piece i think Kohei Tanaka could have been the best choice in Kai and Super as he did the arrangement for Makafushigi, Romantic Ageru and Red Ribbon Army Theme too.
Maybe, but I don't think he would like to be working on two shows at the same time.
Majinwarman

gokaiblue
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by gokaiblue » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:24 am

Honestly, besides Tokunga, I think Shinji Miyazaki and maybe Phillip Glass would have been worthy successors. Miyazaki's playful tone from Pokemon would work with Dragon Ball as would Glass's minamlism
Looking for these rare items/information:

Any information or recordings pertaining to Dragon Ball Z's syndicated run on WAWB
Any information regarding the stations that carried the origin Dragon Ball in the USA
Dragon Box (any deals would be nice)
Shonen Jumps with Dragon Ball in them

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:54 pm

majinwarman wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:now after watching One Piece i think Kohei Tanaka could have been the best choice in Kai and Super as he did the arrangement for Makafushigi, Romantic Ageru and Red Ribbon Army Theme too.
Maybe, but I don't think he would like to be working on two shows at the same time.
he could have done a way better job than both Yamamoto and Sumitomo.

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Thu Jun 14, 2018 11:01 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
I like Sumitomo's work on Super. He has really improved since Kai.
Majinwarman

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:42 am

majinwarman wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote:
majinwarman wrote: Maybe, but I don't think he would like to be working on two shows at the same time.
still his music doesn't give that natural DB vibe which even random one piece tracks at times give.

JulieYBM
Patreon Supporter

Post by JulieYBM » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:04 am

If Kikuchi Shunsuke is unavailable I'd love for Sagisu Shirou to compose Dragon Ball music. Sagisu's scores for Evangelion and Bleach are very eclectic.

I'm also a big fan of Kaji'ura Yuuki. Her music is both exciting and warm.

Since this is Toei Animation we're talking about, though, I'd also be heavily in favor of Takanashi Yasuharu, the composer of the Dragon Ball Kai insert song Let It Burn and Tiger Mask W.
She/Her💕 💜 💙
progesterone princess, estradiol empress
Lucifer's bimbo daughter

majinwarman

Post by majinwarman » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:55 am

Ripper 30 wrote:
majinwarman wrote:
Ripper 30 wrote: he could have done a way better job than both Yamamoto and Sumitomo.
still his music doesn't give that natural DB vibe which even random one piece tracks at times give.
I can agree with that statement.
Majinwarman

Ripper 30
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Post by Ripper 30 » Wed Jun 20, 2018 4:34 am

JulieYBM wrote:If Kikuchi Shunsuke is unavailable I'd love for Sagisu Shirou to compose Dragon Ball music. Sagisu's scores for Evangelion and Bleach are very eclectic.

I'm also a big fan of Kaji'ura Yuuki. Her music is both exciting and warm.

Since this is Toei Animation we're talking about, though, I'd also be heavily in favor of Takanashi Yasuharu, the composer of the Dragon Ball Kai insert song Let It Burn and Tiger Mask W.
all three are great but i think this is the Best Bleach OST.

IHaveNoUserName
Beyond Newbie

Post by IHaveNoUserName » Thu Jun 21, 2018 12:35 pm

I’ve been listening to Takakis score of the plan to eradicate the saiyans and honestly he gives that dragon ball vibe to me, honestly I think he is better than sumitomo and has the same intensity that Kikuchi had

Big Boss
Regular

Post by Big Boss » Sun Sep 09, 2018 10:19 am

To me. the ideal situation would have the dream team combo of Tokunaga + Yamamoto, with the former doing composition and the latter providing arrangements of said compositions. I honestly shiver at the thought.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Post by linkdude20002001 » Mon Sep 10, 2018 5:38 am

Toshihiko Sahashi would be a great successor to both Kikuchi and Yamamoto. He's got a sound that reminds me of both.

https://youtu.be/5aJIby5NJ48 (Sounds like Yamamoto)
https://youtu.be/RJevfU7oKbw (Sounds like both)
https://youtu.be/WCI9in_FdMc (Also sounds like both)
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."