Who owns Rock the Dragon?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

Cure Dragon 255
Born 'n Bred Here

Who owns Rock the Dragon?

Post by Cure Dragon 255 » Sat Dec 30, 2017 3:40 am

Saban? Or Funimation? I think that's the reason the GBA Legacy Of Goku didnt use it. LOL
Marz wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:27 pm "Well, the chapter was good, the story was good and so were the fights. But a new transformation, in Dragon Ball? And one that's ugly? This is where we draw the line!!! Jump the Shark moment!!"

This forum is so over-dramatic that it's not even funny.
90sDBZ wrote: Mon Jul 01, 2019 2:44 pm19 years ago I was rushing home from school to watch DBZ on Cartoon Network, and today I've rushed home from work to watch DBS on Pop. I guess it's true the more things change the more they stay the same. :lol:

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: Who owns Rock the Dragon?

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:02 am

FUNimation. It was used beyond the original syndication broadcast / Saban's involvement: throughout the English dub of the Freeza arc on VHS, as the replacement intro on the American edition of the first "Budokai" game, and it was even licensed for "Taiko Drum Master".

See also: FUNimation's ability to release the "Rock the Dragon" box set, and while we never heard anything one way or the other about needing permission from anyone else to do so, by all accounts (and from my own interview with Lance Heiskell), it seemed like a thing they could have just dropped out there at any time.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

dragonballhero
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by dragonballhero » Sat Dec 30, 2017 8:34 pm

Huh, really? All this time, I thought it was copyright and whatnot that kept them from using the song often. But if that's the case, I wonder why the song hasn't made any appearances in recent years.

I mean, I understand FUNi's desire to be more closer to Dragon Ball's Japanese material than ever before, but still...

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:05 pm

I'm sure there are still some types of royalties to pay, be they composition or performance (not an expert on music law). Combined with that and other shenanigans they ran into with later outsourced replacement composers, I can see why they'd shy away from it unless there's a compelling reason to invoke it (see: the "Rock the Dragon" DVD set).

It's far easier/better for them to stick with the franchise's actual music, and for promotional videos they can have their own internal composer(s) take care of that.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::