Couldn't FUNimation have reused Faulconers music for the first 67 episodes?

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

supersaiyandoctor
Beyond Newbie

Couldn't FUNimation have reused Faulconers music for the first 67 episodes?

Post by supersaiyandoctor » Fri Jan 19, 2018 7:46 pm

Instead of hiring Nathan Johnson, couldn't they have just used faulconers old themes especially the opening and closing for consistency sake? They moved around a fair few themes in season 3 and 4 so it couldn't have been that hard to slap them onto the episodes.

Only issue I could think of is royalties or how the ownership rights work.

linkdude20002001
I Live Here

Re: Couldn't FUNimation have reused Faulconers music for the first 67 episodes?

Post by linkdude20002001 » Sat Jan 20, 2018 5:11 pm

Considering that the songs were written for specific scenes, it'd be pretty stupid to use songs meant for the later episodes in the earlier ones. Toei did that with their replacement of Yamamoto's score in Kai, and it was terrible. You'd have character themes playing for the wrong characters, songs for Majn-Boo playing during Saiyan stuff, et cetera. Continuing to use older songs for newer episodes is okey, but the opposite is not. It would have been ideal to have Faulconer Productions write new music for the Saiyan arc, but the whole legal dispute meant the end of that option.
The Many English Dubs of DB, DBZ, and DBGT
Viz Release Censorship Guide

Scsigs: "Y'know, it actually makes sense that they waited till today to announce [the 30th Anniversary] set. It's Akira Toriyama's birthday."
Shaddy: "I too want my legacy destroyed as a birthday gift."

Valerius Dover
I'm, pretty, cozy, here...

Post by Valerius Dover » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:38 pm

Furthermore, the Faulconer episodes never went that long without introducing new tracks, especially when new characters were introduced. It would've actually made the transition to Episode 68 even more jarring than it already is.
Now available on Twitter.
https://twitter.com/ValeriusDover

The Internet summed up in four words.
"This sucks. Make more."

PacificOceanDub
Beyond Newbie

Post by PacificOceanDub » Thu Feb 08, 2018 5:09 pm

As much as I love the Faulconer score, I honestly wouldn’t change a thing about the first 67 episodes. The Nathan Johnson score was perfect, especially when those episodes were being marketed as the Ultimate Uncut special edition. I remember DBZ uncut would air after dark and the soundtrack added to the already dark atmosphere. The Summer of ‘05 sure was fun.
You shouldn’t have to (Cell.) your soul!