The Different Versions of GT's Theme Songs

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

The Different Versions of GT's Theme Songs

Post by MagicBox » Sat Jan 27, 2018 11:37 am

Hey, everyone!

We're pretty much all familiar with Dragon Ball GT's five theme songs...

"Bit by Bit, You’re Charming My Heart" (Opening Theme, Insert Song)
"I’m Not Alone" (Ending Theme)
"Don’t You See!" (Ending Theme, Insert Song)
"Blue Velvet" (Ending Theme)
"Let’s Blast Through This Moment with a Rusted Machine Gun" (Ending Theme)

Lately, I've been trying to collect (or at least compile a list of) all the different "official" studio versions of these themes. As in, self-covers / new recordings / new arrangements performed by the original artists. The "Non Dragon Ball CDs" page on the main site helps fill in the blanks a tad. Here's what I've got so far, to give an idea of what I mean.

"Bit By Bit, You’re Charming My Heart" (ZARD Version)
A cover of the opening theme. Sure, it isn't performed by FIELD OF VIEW, but considering ZARD wrote the lyrics (and is thus one of the original artists behind the song), I feel this still has enough significance to count.

"I’m Not Alone (Bossa Nova Style)"
An alternate version of the first ending theme, re-recorded by DEEN, for their 2000 "DEEN Classics Two" album.

"I’m Not Alone (The Best キセキ Version)"
An alternate version of the first ending theme, re-recorded by DEEN, for their 2005 "DEEN The Best キセキ" album.

"Don’t U See! (D.F.P Classical Vocal Mix Radio Edit)"
A remix of the second ending theme, performed by ZARD, for their 2000 "WHAT RARE TRACKS!" album.

"Let’s Blast Through This Moment with a Rusted Machine Gun" (Miho Komatsu Version)
A cover of the fourth ending theme. Just like the ZARD version of the opening theme, this is a cover performed by the original lyricist/composer of the song, so it has a bit more significance here.

Am I missing anything? Keep in mind, I'm not looking for a complete list of covers from all artists (For example, it's cool that Shōko Nakagawa sang a random cover of the GT opening theme on one of her CDs, but I don't really think it's significant enough to list alongside the original artists). Thanks in advance for any help!
"Magic's Detective Agency" - The Ultimate Guide to Changes in Detective Conan

"Magic's DiGiMONMUSiC Database" - The Ultimate Guide to Digimon CDs

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Re: The Different Versions of GT's Theme Songs

Post by VegettoEX » Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:06 pm

Did a random search. I have just become aware of a "Ska Version" of "Hitorijanai" from an album DEEN put out in 2016:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01G1IK5HM

... and a "Triangle Cover Version" b-side from an album in 2012:

https://www.amazon.co.jp/dp/B01BHOBM40

My life is now complete.

(Various bands have various live albums you might want to consider for this project. I need to get to updating that page in the database.)
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Wed Jan 31, 2018 3:05 am

Awesome find!

I've tried to comb through the tracklists for every CD single/album from each artist, and I found a few others.

1997 CD: "Double Front Project Remix - Don't U See!"
Apparently a very limited five-track CD containing various remixes and edits of "Don't You See!" in the same vein as the aforementioned "Don't U See! (D.F.P Classical Vocal Mix Radio Edit)". It's definitely something to investigate further, but I wasn't able to find sound samples from this one during my (admittedly brief) search.

2016 Album: "d-project with ZARD"
An album containing rearrangements of various ZARD songs, with "Don’t You See!" and her cover of "Bit By Bit, You’re Charming My Heart" included. ZARD's existing vocals are used for each, but the arrangements are distinctive and worth a listen. I was very surprised I hadn't heard of these until now.

Which brings the list to...

"Bit by Bit, You’re Charming My Heart (Original)" (1996)
"Bit By Bit, You’re Charming My Heart (ZARD Cover)" (1996, "Today is Another Day" CD)
"Bit By Bit, You’re Charming My Heart (ZARD Cover Rearrangement)" (2016, "d-project with ZARD" CD)

"I’m Not Alone (Original)" (1996)
"I’m Not Alone (Bossa Nova Style)" (2000, "DEEN Classics 2" CD)
"I’m Not Alone (Self-Cover)" (2005, "The Best Kiseki" CD)
"I’m Not Alone -Triangle Cover Version-" (2012, "Marriage" CD)
"I’m Not Alone ~SKA Style~" (2016, "Butterfly" CD)

"Don't You See!" (1997, Original)
"Double Front Project Remix - Don't U See!" Contents (1997)
"Don't U See! (D.F.P Classical Vocal Mix Radio Edit)" (2004, "WHAT RARE TRACKS!" CD)
"Don't You See! (Rearrangement)" (2016, "d-project with ZARD" CD)

"Blue Velvet" (1997, Original)

"Let’s Blast Through This Moment with a Rusted Machine Gun" (1997, Original)
"Let’s Blast Through This Moment with a Rusted Machine Gun (Miho Komatsu Cover)" (1997, "Nazo" CD)

There's also a "Don't You See! (Music Box)" on the "Feeling ZARD Orgel Collection Vol. 3", which doesn't actually have vocals. TV Versions of "I'm Not Alone" and "Don't You See!" are included on the "DEEN Perfect Albums +1 ~20th Anniversary~" and "ZARD Album Collection ~20th Anniversary~" collections, respectively. ZARD's the one I feel least confident about, as far as completeness. I can't help but think that I'm missing something. Those "CD + DVD" compilation magazines that are currently coming out are definitely something to keep an eye on. So far, they've already included "Don't You See! (Music Box)" (vol. 4), "Don't You See!" (vol. 5), "Bit By Bit, You’re Charming My Heart" (vol. 26), "Don't You See! (TV On-Air Ver)" (vol. 27), and a couple of live versions.

Poor "Blue Velvet" all by its lonesome.

Thanks again for helping to fill in the blanks, VegettoEX, and I'm glad this topic was able to spark a relevant side discussion on the latest podcast episode!

DBZfan29
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by DBZfan29 » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:07 am

MagicBox wrote:1997 CD: "Double Front Project Remix - Don't U See!"
Apparently a very limited five-track CD containing various remixes and edits of "Don't You See!" in the same vein as the aforementioned "Don't U See! (D.F.P Classical Vocal Mix Radio Edit)". It's definitely something to investigate further, but I wasn't able to find sound samples from this one during my (admittedly brief) search.
I just found this set on vinyl (my ZARD discography book lists it only as "analog" so I don't think it's available on CD). They are nice mixes, but nothing too special. I want to try recording the tracks to MP3 some time this week. Maybe I can put up some samples if anyone is interested.

While not studio versions, two live versions were included on ZARD CDs -- from the 2000 Cruising & Live album and the 2007 Request Best ~beautiful memory~ compilation. They are interesting. Some people think the 2000 version isn't 100% live since the instruments sound a little too similar to the original recording, and the 2007 version was performed at a tribute concert so it is a band playing to her studio vocals.

There are also at least 4 live versions of "Don't you see!" on DVD, and the 2011 What a beautiful memory ~Forever you~ DVD has a performance of ZARD's cover of "DAN DAN Kokoro Hikareteku" with guest vocals from FIELD OF VIEW vocalist Yuuya Asaoka.
An interviewer asks, "The soundtrack in Sonic 3 has become legendary. Is it true that you worked with Michael Jackson on it?" Takashi Iizuka kills all of our hopes and dreams by replying, "You know, those are just rumors, and SEGA does not want to say anything about them. So they will forever be just rumors..." WHY!?

MagicBox
Advanced Regular

Post by MagicBox » Mon Feb 05, 2018 2:48 pm

DBZfan29 wrote:I just found this set on vinyl (my ZARD discography book lists it only as "analog" so I don't think it's available on CD). They are nice mixes, but nothing too special. I want to try recording the tracks to MP3 some time this week. Maybe I can put up some samples if anyone is interested.
Thanks for the clarification! It's nice to hear from someone who owns it. I never could find much information about this album, so it likely being a limited vinyl makes perfect sense.
DBZfan29 wrote:While not studio versions, two live versions were included on ZARD CDs -- from the 2000 Cruising & Live album and the 2007 Request Best ~beautiful memory~ compilation. They are interesting. Some people think the 2000 version isn't 100% live since the instruments sound a little too similar to the original recording, and the 2007 version was performed at a tribute concert so it is a band playing to her studio vocals. There are also at least 4 live versions of "Don't you see!" on DVD, and the 2011 What a beautiful memory ~Forever you~ DVD has a performance of ZARD's cover of "DAN DAN Kokoro Hikareteku" with guest vocals from FIELD OF VIEW vocalist Yuuya Asaoka.
I was hesitant to include live versions in my search because I was worried I'd be opening a whole 'nother (potentially huge) can of worms, so all of this is a huge help. I didn't even think to check the DVD releases. I'll have to track these performances down (the one with the guest appearance from FIELD OF VIEW sounds especially awesome).

Thanks a ton, DBZfan29!

Jord
Advanced Regular

Post by Jord » Mon Feb 12, 2018 3:41 pm

This isn't an official release so I guess it doesn't count but what a great sax on this version of Blue Velvet.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DVESEbdikbc
Man, that should get an official release!

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 2:18 pm

I just want to say, Tokunaga did a fantastic job with the GT score but man, I'd have loved it so much more if Kikuchi had been the one to compose Dragon Ball GT's soundtrack. Wikipedia states he retired after Z but I doubt that (Kill Bill 2 - "Urami Bushi" comes to mind).
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.