DBZ Kenji Yamamoto - Power of Smile / Madonna - Borderline & Lucky Star. PLAGIARISM or HOMAGE? Discuss.

Discussion regarding any musical aspect of the franchise, from game soundtracks to BGM to remixes. Upcoming & classic CDs, reviews, where to find them, and more!

Moderators: General Help, Kanzenshuu Staff

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

DBZ Kenji Yamamoto - Power of Smile / Madonna - Borderline & Lucky Star. PLAGIARISM or HOMAGE? Discuss.

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Mon Feb 05, 2018 9:50 pm

In my opinion, Kenji Yamamoto plagiarized parts of Madonna's song "Borderline" & "Lucky Star". I put this quick video together to get the point across.

Enjoy. :thumbup: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMNkpMem_ZY

Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

shinmaru
OMG CRAZY REGEN

Re: DBZ KŪKO (Waffle) - Power of Smile / Madonna - Borderline & Lucky Star. PLAGIARISM or HOMAGE? Discuss.

Post by shinmaru » Tue Feb 06, 2018 3:33 am

They didn't even bother to hide it here lol

TheGreatness25
I Live Here

Re: DBZ KŪKO (Waffle) - Power of Smile / Madonna - Borderline & Lucky Star. PLAGIARISM or HOMAGE? Discuss.

Post by TheGreatness25 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:31 pm

Kenji Yamamoto, is that you? I know this is your handywork, you crazy rascal!

Dragon Ball has a ton of plagarized songs. I didn't even realize it, but apparently it even goes back before Kai.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x0y5B7AMP1g

Meh. Call it an "homage." Maybe it's cryptomnesia lol

SuperCyan2
Beyond-the-Beyond Newbie

Post by SuperCyan2 » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Musicians borrow, remix and remake songs for their own interpretation so if you want to call that plagiarism, that's your opinion.

No one ever considered if Faulconer's Super Boo theme was plagiarism, coincidence or an homage to SoaD's Marmalade. But hey, not everything needs to be turned into drama or controversy, ya know.
Account no longer in use since 03/31/2018.

VegettoEX
Kanzenshuu Co-Owner & Administrator

Post by VegettoEX » Tue Feb 06, 2018 4:53 pm

Moving this to the music sub-section.

There's no real reason to pin anything on poor Kuko here; she's just the vocalist. Per the norm with stuff like this, the song was composed by Chiho Kiyooka and arranged by Kenji Yamamoto.

We've heavily documented all of the things Kenji Yamamoto has done over the years, and I would expect nothing here to be particularly new or surprising to any regular Kanzenshuu readers/visitors.

To me, this was always one of the more harmless nods/homages; they're not just taking Madonna's song as-is, as opposed to some of the other things Yamamoto was responsible for over the years.
:: [| Mike "VegettoEX" LaBrie |] ::
:: [| Kanzenshuu - Co-Founder/Administrator, Podcast Host, News Manager (note: our "job" titles are arbitrary and meaningless) |] ::
:: [| Website: January 1998 |] :: [| Podcast: November 2005 |] :: [| Fusion: April 2012 |] :: [| Wiki: 20XX |] ::

AnimeMaakuo
Advanced Regular

Re: Kenji Yamamoto - Power of Smile / Madonna - Borderline & Lucky Star. PLAGIARISM or HOMAGE? Discuss.

Post by AnimeMaakuo » Tue Feb 06, 2018 5:29 pm

VegettoEX wrote:Moving this to the music sub-section.

There's no real reason to pin anything on poor Kuko here; she's just the vocalist. Per the norm with stuff like this, the song was composed by Chiho Kiyooka and arranged by Kenji Yamamoto.

We've heavily documented all of the things Kenji Yamamoto has done over the years, and I would expect nothing here to be particularly new or surprising to any regular Kanzenshuu readers/visitors.

To me, this was always one of the more harmless nods/homages; they're not just taking Madonna's song as-is, as opposed to some of the other things Yamamoto was responsible for over the years.
It wouldn't surprise if Kenji Yamamoto was responsible.
Last edited by AnimeMaakuo on Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:27 pm, edited 4 times in total.
My YouTube

Soppa Saiyjins from Dorgou Ballru Zetto is my favorite transformation everah, especially when Trounksoru did it in front of Seru and when Bejita did it when he faced Jingonigen-hachigo. But for real, I use the FUNi pronunciation. - Soppa Saia People

RoarkVegeta
Patreon Supporter

Re: DBZ Kenji Yamamoto - Power of Smile / Madonna - Borderline & Lucky Star. PLAGIARISM or HOMAGE? Discuss.

Post by RoarkVegeta » Tue Feb 06, 2018 6:14 pm

Maybe I'm completely missing something, but what parts of Lucky Star sound similar? All I heard was Borderline.